Tight End

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

Tight End

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:51 pm

My guy Jimmy Johnson

Traded up with YOUR Pittsburgh Steelers to select HOF RB Emmitt Smith in the 1990 draft.

Chuck Noll?

Well, ‘ol Chuck didn’t make out quite as well drafting a king size TE out of Liberty

Lay off the drugs, kids.

Still,

Eric Green

Adrian Cooper

Probably my favorite Steelers’ TE duo of all time, albeit short lived.

Oh sure Randy Grossman and Bennie Cunningham were great at lifting up Swann and Stall after their touchdowns, but give me the HUGE blockers for Barry Bananas Foster any time.

More recently, yinzer nation loves them some “HEEEEATH!” and “MUUUUUUTH!”

SOOOOO FUN

UGH

Anyway, some breaking news yesterday that my transplant hometown Falcons released Artie Smith favorite, Jonnu Smith.

Your brain told you the same thing my brain told me

Jonnu is a Steeler

Should he in fact be signed, the Steelers will have a solid, albeit it unspectacular, TE room to make Artie’s Air Raid offense go (STFU, Drama).

Other names YOUR Pittsburgh Steelers could consider:

Jonnu Smith Falcons- just restating the obvious for those of you who skipped my preamble.
MyCole Pruiitt Falcons- Double Whammy with Artie having him in glorious Nashville too.
Hayden Hurst Panthers- If a cap casualty this former Pittsburgh Pirate pick is an Artie favorite from the Falcons
Geoff Swaim AZ- Played for Uncle Artie in glorious Nashville, TN (If you’ve never been, GO)
Hunter Henry Pats- Bill Belichick. Dude ran the Pats into the ground. Anyone watching that Patriots Dynasty show on Apple? Worth my time?
Dalton Schultz Texans- I’ve become a closet Texans fan. Good pass catching option but probably not for YOUR Pittsburgh Steelers.
Noah Fant Seahawks- Another bigger name that won’t interest YOUR dumpster diving Steelers.
Josiah Deguara Packers- I like this one. Versatile dude that can play that HB/FB/TE role.
Harrison Bryant Browns- Poach from division rival. Has some athleticism.
Drew Sample Bengals- Poach from division rival. Depth signing type.
Colby Parkinson Seahawks- Towering dude from Stanford
Austin Hooper Raiduhs- Another Stanford dude. Played for both the Falcons and Titans but never for Artie.
Gerald Everett Chargers- Always flashes talent but not a consistent producer.
Robert Tonyan Bears- B2B finally get his man (what's left of him).
Mike Gesicki Penn State- Reportedly a HUGE fan of “MUUUUUUUUTH!”

Let’s not pass on an ALL-PRO anything to draft another mediocre TE:

Brock Bowers Georgia- Combine week! Should test well, but I hope he exceeds 6’3.
Ja’Tavion Sanders Texas- I like him better than you do.
Cade Stover THE Ohio State- Last year’s TE class was epic. This year? Not so much. Go Buckeyes!
Theo Johnson Penn State- No doubt another “MUUUUUTH” fan
Ben Sinnott Kansas St- I like this one. HB/FB/TE versatile type Artie might dig.
Dallin Holker Colorado St- Undersized pass catcher type.
Jared Wiley TCU- Texas transfer a well-rounded TE.
Jaheim Bell Florida St- Another versatile HB/FB/TE type for Uncle Artie
AJ Barner scUM- Prototype inline blocker
Brevyn Spann-Ford Gophers- Matt Spieth flashbacks. Row that boat, PJ!
Erick All Iowa- Combine week! This kid will be there for medical tests only
Trey Knox Cocks- WR convert. I was in high school on one of my family’s annual summer vacations at Myrtle Beach. Was golfing with my cousins. At the turn, I bought THE “Cocks” hat mostly because I was getting major sunburn, but also because it struck me as funny. Pissed my mom off something awful. Hi Mom! (Moms in heaven).
Tanner McLachlan Arizona- The ‘Cats actually were a fun team to watch
Tip Reiman Illinois- “Ouch, ouch you’re on my hair” Just the tip here is a good blocker.
Jack Westover and Devin Culp- Smaller dudes from UW you would probably know more about if it weren’t for the dogs (NOT “dawgs”) elite talent at the WR position.
Issac Rex BYU- I just love watchin’ the ‘Cougs and that beautiful backdrop on those late Saturday night games.
• Not a great TE group, but I’m sure they’ll be some sleepers revealed during the uber fun SteelerFury board mock draft extravaganza.

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. Yep, I think the TE room will be complete after the Steelers sign Jonnu Smith, but doesn’t hurt to take a gander at other options.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm

Brock Bowers Georgia- Combine week! Should test well, but I hope he exceeds 6’3.
I am betting less. How far does that drop him? I know Bengals fans that are drooling for him.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:59 pm

jebrick wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm
I am betting less. How far does that drop him? I know Bengals fans that are drooling for him.
So many mocks have Jimmy taking him at 5....I just don't it happening.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:46 am

Seeing that the Steelers met with Jaheim Bell…

ol skool

Post by ol skool » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 pm

smithessmokin wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:46 am
Seeing that the Steelers met with Jaheim Bell…
If they're meeting with him, then just what the Hell is a "Steelers-type TE" these days?

We've got:
-Muuuuuuth, who can catch and run (when healthy), but is a shit blocker
-Washington, who can block but is slow off the snap
-Heyward, who isn't a TE
-Williams, who has a pulse

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:09 am

jebrick wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm
6’3 243 for Bowers
Top 15 pick
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:58 pm

I know I’m a contrarian but I like this TE class better than last year’s, at least overall.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:05 pm

As for the Steelers TE— what is a Steelers TE depends on who’s deciding? Art Smith has his style the Steelers way has another. MT probably has a POV.

Biggest thing is their self-evaluation of the three guys they have now. I would guess they think more of PF & Heyward than any of us do. IF and it’s a big IF Arthur Smith comes in as an outsider and gets who he wants, I’m betting he would add some dudes who can block better than Pat & Connor but who are threats with the ball. I’d be surprised if they add a pure receiver or pure blocker.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic