Let's talk CBs

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Let's talk CBs

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:53 pm

I'll start. I'm just starting the process of evaluating CBs for 2015 but, before any measurements, 40s, or cutups-- Senquez Golson is the best CB I've seen... so far. He's very aggressive, attacks the ball, hits, plays the run, transitions out of backpedal, and can play up in a WR's grill. Downside is he's what I would call just under normal CB size, not tall or big. He's essentially Brice McCain sized. IF there's still hope for Cortez AND you add a CB with some size later, I think I'd be okay with Golson.

My next mission is to look at some of the bigger CB prospects and I will report back. In the meantime, feel free to add a post about a CB not yet mentioned here.

1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Quinten Rollins, Miami Oh
5110 193

Interesting prospect. 4 year starter on the basketball team, graduated, played just this one year of football-- essentially was a starter in the MAC without having played since HS... and never played defense before summer practices. His cutups show it all-- he started the year with a lot of promise and a bunch of rough spots-- trouble transitioning, avoiding contact, not reading run... but also a few plusses: ball skills, mirroring, got better as game went on.

Last game of the year, he still had some rough spots but was much, much better. Got beaten for a long pass, then two plays later made a terrific play both mentally and physically to make an INT in the end zone. Played the run much better. Actually made some hits. Made a lot of progress. Intercepted a second ball on a short out he jumped, was cut off from running up the sideline, cut back three times through traffic, and returned it, Troy style, all the way across the field for a TD.

I don't know where you pick a guy like that but he could turn out to be a pretty good cover corner in a short time.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:52 pm

I saw a couple of Red Hawk games this year and paid attention to Rollins all the time ( since no other player was worth paying attention to). My non-professional opinion is that he would be a project very similar to Cortez Allen and Ike Taylor ( when they were drafted). Has great athletic ability but is raw raw raw. Gets by almost totally on his great athletic ability. Technique is low to almost non-existant. He never played zone coverage that I saw ( like Allen and Ike).

I personally would not take him before the 3rd round.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Evaluators are already tripping over themselves trying to be the "first" to discover Rollins. I think his stock is about to get way over inflated. Great athlete, but VERY raw as a corner. His tape is ok, not what it's about to be made out to be.

I agree on Golson. Best skill set of the group, very size limited. As a rule I'd never touch any corner under 5'10 in round 1. Round 2, maybe but only if they have elite traits which I think this guy does.

Trae Waynes is a bit grabby for my tastes just like his MSU counterpart from last year. Marcus Peters has round 1 skills, but some legit character concerns. Good player though. I thought PJ Williams was overrated when he was ranked as the top corner in the draft by some, now he's falling to round 2 and is underrated.

Honestly I can't point to any CB in this draft and say that guy is a 1st rounder. I see a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders though. Jalen Collins has been talked about here a bit. He's big and strong, but has very good quicks for a guy his size. Reminds me a little of Jimmy Smith of the Ravens. Good player.

Doran Grant of Ohio State is flying under the radar a bit. He's solid all around, good 3rd round target.

I don't see this as a deep group or a group that is good at the top. You'll have to pick your spots to find a good corner, and some of these guys might end of up going earlier than expected because it's not a great group.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Marcus Peters. Holy shit.
5115 198

THE best CB I've looked at... maybe ever, in terms of the stuff I like in a CB. Let's see-- premium, Richard Sherman like ball skills and anticipation. Ability to cover deep threats, big dudes, and slot guys. Hits, wraps, tackles in open field. Can excel in off man... transitions and makes plays/tackles short of sticks. Aggressive, violent hitter. Can also line up over a guy and erase him. Can play on an island with no fear. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. As a Sophomore just absolutely erased Brandin Cooks. The next NFL CB superstar waiting to happen.

Why do I bother mentioning him, since a guy like that would be a top 5 pick? Apparently he choked his position coach in practice, after a series of sideline outbursts where he questioned the coaches decisions/coaching. Was suspended twice for similar behavior and then dismissed from team. What does it mean? Could he be available for the Steelers at 1.22 and would they ever take a guy like that?

First off, I think he'll be long gone, because all it takes is one team to say they don't care about the incidents. However, this is the league that knocked Dan Marino and Dez Bryant down 20-30 slots, so who knows? The most positive spin I can put on it is: the kid was happy and successful with the previous "players coach" regime and simply freaked out with the new coaching staff coming in and upsetting the apple cart. He's a team leader and felt he had to speak out against what he felt was wrong. He's a city kid, from Oakland, and the situation escalated. He's a childhood friend of Marshawn Lynch and Lynch has been mentoring him for years-- it's very similar to the trouble Marshawn Lynch had in Buffalo. Lynch moved on to Seattle and has thrived under a players' coach. A place like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Dallas, or Seattle would be a good environment for him, in all likelihood. Then again, you could have another Blount or Ta'amu on your hands.

As a player, I haven't seen anyone in this draft class yet who should be picked before him.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:43 pm

I love how easily you can gloss over the "he choked his coach" part when there is a player you like. :lol: I agree on his talent. I also would bet money he'll be there at pick 22. But would a team that just cut it's only backup RB because he walked off the field early draft a guy like this? A guy that was kicked off his college team, argued with coaches and choked one out, and was seen laughing and not caring while his team was being blown out by Oregon?

We already know the Steelers won't touch him.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:50 pm

The question is, I guess, how he interviews and explains himself at the Combine. Honeybadger convinced the Cards to take him early enough, where does Peters' "crime" and perceived character flaws stand in comparison, and is he as good at explaining it away (his physical attributes/talent are certainly on a higher level).
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Oh, I'm not glossing over it, Perch... and, of course, it'll be a shock if the Steelers select him. But. He would make this team a Super Bowl contender from week one. You have to at least think about it, even if you only get a Santonio Holmes-like career out of him.

Depends what the real story is. He's not a rapist or wife beater. He had a physical altercation with a coach who, instead of de-escalating, kept pushing.

The sideline demeanor when team losing is more of a concern, actually.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:25 pm

I don't think the Steelers will even consider Peters. But they surprised us with Adams and he has had no off the field issues, so who knows?

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:30 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:Marcus Peters. Holy shit.
5115 198

THE best CB I've looked at... maybe ever, in terms of the stuff I like in a CB. Let's see-- premium, Richard Sherman like ball skills and anticipation. Ability to cover deep threats, big dudes, and slot guys. Hits, wraps, tackles in open field. Can excel in off man... transitions and makes plays/tackles short of sticks. Aggressive, violent hitter. Can also line up over a guy and erase him. Can play on an island with no fear. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. As a Sophomore just absolutely erased Brandin Cooks. The next NFL CB superstar waiting to happen.

Why do I bother mentioning him, since a guy like that would be a top 5 pick? Apparently he choked his position coach in practice, after a series of sideline outbursts where he questioned the coaches decisions/coaching. Was suspended twice for similar behavior and then dismissed from team. What does it mean? Could he be available for the Steelers at 1.22 and would they ever take a guy like that?

First off, I think he'll be long gone, because all it takes is one team to say they don't care about the incidents. However, this is the league that knocked Dan Marino and Dez Bryant down 20-30 slots, so who knows? The most positive spin I can put on it is: the kid was happy and successful with the previous "players coach" regime and simply freaked out with the new coaching staff coming in and upsetting the apple cart. He's a team leader and felt he had to speak out against what he felt was wrong. He's a city kid, from Oakland, and the situation escalated. He's a childhood friend of Marshawn Lynch and Lynch has been mentoring him for years-- it's very similar to the trouble Marshawn Lynch had in Buffalo. Lynch moved on to Seattle and has thrived under a players' coach. A place like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Dallas, or Seattle would be a good environment for him, in all likelihood. Then again, you could have another Blount or Ta'amu on your hands.

As a player, I haven't seen anyone in this draft class yet who should be picked before him.

He's the real deal for sure. Watched him go 1x1 with Jaelen Strong, who is 6'4" 220, for a whole game and battled him on every throw, every block. Hyper competitive. Bad news is that we won't take him. The good news, I guess, is that he'll be long gone by 1.22 anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm serious... Peters will be the best CB in the NFL within a couple of years, provided he doesn't go all Rick James/Sprewell.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:59 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:I'm serious... Peters will be the best CB in the NFL within a couple of years, provided he doesn't go all Rick James/Sprewell.

Even then there should still be room for him on the Ravens, Redskins, Raiders or 49ers.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Auburn QB Nick Marshall is switching to CB.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:40 pm

The Pierogi wrote:Auburn QB Nick Marshall is switching to CB.

yep. has been practicing there at the Senior Bowl.
2015 Senior Bowl: Auburn QB Nick Marshall makes quick switch to CB...Collegiate players are often asked to switch positions at the NFL level. Rarely, however, does a quarterback make the switch to cornerback. However, that is precisely the transition Auburn's Nick Marshall attempted Tuesday during the South team's first practice this week at the Senior Bowl. Shedding the yellow non-contact jersey that fellow South team quarterbacks Garrett Grayson (from Colorado State) and Blake Sims (Alabama) wore, Marshall (6-foot-1 1/2, 204 pounds) donned a bright orange jersey with no number and took snaps on defense and as a gunner on special teams. The position and uniform switch left Marshall only recognizable due to the familiar emblem on his Auburn helmet -- and his undeniable athleticism.
While Marshall certainly looked out of place, at times -- he was hesitant in run support, for example -- he showed impressive fluidity when covering the South's receivers, including Miami speedster Phillip Dorsett, who may just be the fastest player in this year's game. The switch wasn't entirely unexpected. Prior to leading Auburn to the BCS title game against Jameis Winston and Florida State a year ago, Marshall played cornerback at Georgia. He'd been training at cornerback at the EXOS facility in Pensacola, Fla., in preparation for the Senior Bowl and NFL and stated as much. Still, Marshall had been expected to remain a passer -- rather than a pass defender -- this week. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

he's a 6014 205lb guy who runs circa 4.48... he played CB at Georgia. He's going to get drafted before the end of the 4th round, strictly on pedigree and size/speed.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:01 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:Auburn QB Nick Marshall is switching to CB.

yep. has been practicing there at the Senior Bowl.
2015 Senior Bowl: Auburn QB Nick Marshall makes quick switch to CB...Collegiate players are often asked to switch positions at the NFL level. Rarely, however, does a quarterback make the switch to cornerback. However, that is precisely the transition Auburn's Nick Marshall attempted Tuesday during the South team's first practice this week at the Senior Bowl. Shedding the yellow non-contact jersey that fellow South team quarterbacks Garrett Grayson (from Colorado State) and Blake Sims (Alabama) wore, Marshall (6-foot-1 1/2, 204 pounds) donned a bright orange jersey with no number and took snaps on defense and as a gunner on special teams. The position and uniform switch left Marshall only recognizable due to the familiar emblem on his Auburn helmet -- and his undeniable athleticism.
While Marshall certainly looked out of place, at times -- he was hesitant in run support, for example -- he showed impressive fluidity when covering the South's receivers, including Miami speedster Phillip Dorsett, who may just be the fastest player in this year's game. The switch wasn't entirely unexpected. Prior to leading Auburn to the BCS title game against Jameis Winston and Florida State a year ago, Marshall played cornerback at Georgia. He'd been training at cornerback at the EXOS facility in Pensacola, Fla., in preparation for the Senior Bowl and NFL and stated as much. Still, Marshall had been expected to remain a passer -- rather than a pass defender -- this week. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

he's a 6014 205lb guy who runs circa 4.48... he played CB at Georgia. He's going to get drafted before the end of the 4th round, strictly on pedigree and size/speed.

I wonder if that means the South team gets to bring in an extra QB now... I knew he had accepted the invite as a QB, wasn't sure if he had planned on making the position switch at the Senior Bowl or waiting until afterwards. Thanks for the update.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:39 am

I will send as many guys as possible to interview and check out Peters because he can be that good .

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:01 am

Steelers type CB if I ever saw one. Likely a mid RND pick (like they usually go for) has solid production.

Towson senior CB Tye Smith "competes like crazy," notes NFL Media analyst Charles Davis.
"The thing that stands out most about Smith is his competitiveness," Davis wrote. "Smith contests every throw his way and makes good plays on the ball." This three-year starter has been one of the best CBs in the FCS since he stepped onto a collegiate field. Standing 6-foot, 170 pounds, and expected to run in the high 4.4s or low 4.5s, Smith is a smart corner who doesn't mind stepping up in run defense. The first team All-CAA selection and AP FCS All-American started all 12 games as a senior, and his 85 tackles ranked second on the team.

http://towsontigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2111
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:50 am

Whens the last time the Steelers had a 6 foot 170 pound corner? If your going small I'll take the kid from TCU, or Oregon.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Miami CB Ladarius Gunter is another one to watch that fits the Steelers profile. 6'1 200 lbs, having a good week at the Senior Bowl by all reports. He changes directions well and is pretty fluid for a taller corner. Might be a bargain in the 3rd or 4th round which is where our franchise tends to shop for it's corners,

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:48 pm

SP wrote:I love how easily you can gloss over the "he choked his coach" part when there is a player you like. :lol:

WTF! :lol:

I wonder what would happen if you choked Lake? Would Ike go into an Incredible Hulk like rage and kill you? :lol:

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm starting to wonder about the Washington kids. They had four potential first round picks on their D but were kind of an average defensive team. I know Peters was suspended 3/4 of the way through the season, but come on, Shelton, Shaq, Kikaha and Peters? They should have been burying guys.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Lifelongsteel wrote:I'm starting to wonder about the Washington kids. They had four potential first round picks on their D but were kind of an average defensive team. I know Peters was suspended 3/4 of the way through the season, but come on, Shelton, Shaq, Kikaha and Peters? They should have been burying guys.

Didn't buy into coaching.

I'm a big Petersen supporter, but he came in with no transition plan-- my way or the highway... West coast, Washington state, 2015-- that seems destined to fail, since those kids are used to a completely different culture, for better or worse.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Quentin Rollins is really growing on me.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:37 pm

GreekSteel wrote:Quentin Rollins is really growing on me.

As long as he does not grow before the 3rd round :D
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

R_S

Post by R_S » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:32 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:Marcus Peters. Holy shit.
5115 198

I don't consider being mentored by Marshawn Lynch a positive for a potential pick. What sets Lynch apart is his motor and physicality. Those aren't things you can mentor. But being a dickhead is.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:32 pm

SP wrote:Miami CB Ladarius Gunter is another one to watch that fits the Steelers profile. 6'1 200 lbs, having a good week at the Senior Bowl by all reports. He changes directions well and is pretty fluid for a taller corner. Might be a bargain in the 3rd or 4th round which is where our franchise tends to shop for it's corners,

I put him in the "good" bin.

Great bin:
Marcus Peters

Very good bin:
Senquez Golson

Good bin:
Ladarius Gunter
Alden Darby

Maybe bin:
Cam Thomas
Tye Smith

Okay, with potential to be very good bin:
Jalen Collins
Quentin Rollins

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:44 am

cop1211 wrote:Whens the last time the Steelers had a 6 foot 170 pound corner? If your going small I'll take the kid from TCU, or Oregon.

From the East West Shrine game measurables Perch has posted in this forum. 24

Tye Smith DC Towson University 6001 height 191 lbs 8.28" hand size 32.28" arm length
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:26 am

That's more like it, better than the 170 you listed before.

I'm digging on Carter or PJ Williams in the 2nd, or Gunter, Rowe in the 3rd.
The kid from TCU was making plays during the Bowl practice, to bad he isn't 2-3 inches taller.

Aussie_steeler

Post by Aussie_steeler » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:25 am

Last year Kyle Fuller looked to be the man amongst boys in the CB class.

Marcus Peters is that CB this year for me.

I am totally on board with taking Peters at 22.

My opinion as always will come from a different perspective.

Peters and Shelton were team players in 2013 who excelled on the field.
New regime comes in 2014 and new coach doesn't like the culture he finds. He puts his stamp on the program ( totally understand)
The players who disagree ( Peters and Shelton) are treated like kids. I see them as men who resent being treated like kids.
Your a coach, do you rip the head off the 190 pound CB or 340 pound NT. I think you pick your fights. Peters is the easier fight.
These players have partners and children, have real world responsibilities. However they all have this new generational trait of wanting everything now. For some it is a perfect storm for conflict.
The Washington D was really pathetic considering they had 4 all-americans. Were their hearts really in it, considering they were all already viewed as first round picks (awaiting combine confirmation)

In college your services generate revenue for the NCAA and your school. Young men resent this as well. They are wanting their coin.

To you they may be excuses, to me they are causative agents.

Put them in the pros, pay them crazy money, but more importantly treat them like men. Most, not all change.

In 1998 the steelers didn't have to face the moral dilemma that was Randy Moss. In 2014 I hope they are forced to face this dilemma with Peters being on the board at 22.

Aussie_steeler

Post by Aussie_steeler » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic