So ... the Pirates

franco>madden

So ... the Pirates

Post by franco>madden » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:05 pm

... opened the 2020 "season" at St. Louis last night with a 1-run L. Musgrove a little bumpy but not terrible on the hill. Moran and Bell making some noise and a few decent hits late to "almost" comeback, as per their usual pattern in recent years.

As far as watching the broadcast itself went, at least the stadium didn't put those idiotic cardboard cutouts of fans in the seats behind the plate like the Doyers did. Instead, the empty stands resembled an early-season weeknight or rain-delayed game or something. Plus, the piped-in, low murmur of crowd noise -- periodically rising when something happened on the field -- was kinda reassuring and not really detrimental to the viewing experience. Baseball and maybe golf appear to be most adaptable to our new world's post-pandemic lifestyle, although it may prove difficult replacing the enjoyable spectacle of, say, the occasional foul ball or home run ball plopping into the beer cup of a well-endowed fan every now and then. 8-) Perhaps they could splice in replays of Josh Harrison's memorable HR splashdown at Frisco several seasons back?

Yup, it was almost like the real thing. Maybe all that Pittsburgh is missing is an actual major-league owner & baseball team?

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm

No fans???
Buccos probably thought they were playing at PNC. :shock:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 pm

I could seriously see this Pirates team finishing 15-45 or something very close to that.

They are TERRIBLE.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:58 am

K_C_ wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 pm
I could seriously see this Pirates team finishing 15-45 or something very close to that.

They are TERRIBLE.
Yeah...but in five years...
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:39 pm

I like the piped in low-level crowd noise too. It's not an attempt at sounding like a real crowd, which would be phony and disastrous, but reminds you that it's a real, play-to-win game.

Steelcody7

Post by Steelcody7 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm

They stink, nothing new.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm

MLB will likely pull the plug before we see just how bad this team is.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:27 pm

jeemie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm
MLB will likely pull the plug before we see just how bad this team is.
Yeeeah...I’m pretty sure we already know.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 pm

The Pittsburgh Pirates will set the modern-day record for worst winning percentage in a season, currently held by the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics (.235). That would translate to 14 wins in a 60-game season, which is on pace for a team that was 2-7 with a team batting average of .177 at the start of play Monday. I've started to tune in to their games to see their latest bizarre baserunning gaffes, unusual defensive alignments and pointless replay reviews. The culture might well be changing, and I think Derek Shelton should be given a chance to stick around for a "real season" in 2021, but for now, I'm on board with these lovable losers to continue to be just that -- in record-breaking style.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:51 pm

The Pirates should be contracted.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am

Let’s not embarrass ourselves in front of the fans this season... this team has already overachieved on their goals for the season.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:01 am

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/296 ... oronavirus
A Cincinnati Reds player tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday, jeopardizing the team's game Saturday against the Pittsburgh Pirates and reigniting fear of another outbreak in the sport after a pair of outbreaks severely affected the opening weeks of the season, sources told ESPN.

- Fred Sanford

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:16 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am
Let’s not embarrass ourselves in front of the fans this season... this team has already overachieved on their goals for the season.
Huh?

Harvey Woodlawn

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:50 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:16 pm
SteelPro wrote:
Huh?
I’m assuming...no fans? :lol:

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:16 pm
SteelPro wrote:
Huh?
Not even a single boo has been heard at PNC Park this season.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:46 pm

So yeah, while the team does suck in most ways, there are some bright spots in this weird season. Let's be honest though and say that while they did have a suck season, that is essentially an exhibition season, they also were cursed with really bad injuries. It seemed anyone who played worth a damn, including pitchers, would get hurt for most/all of the season.

Hayes at 3B is a breath of fresh air. That kid has the look of a star, we'll see. If nothing else, we finally get some stellar D at that spot.

Gonzalez has shown he doesn't totally suck. I had my doubts, but he is anchoring the SS position very well.

Not sure what I think of Moran.

Reynolds disappointed big time at the plate, but that kid can play some outfield D. Interesting the experiment with Tucker out there. I think it might work, but that kid has to learn how to hit ML pitching.

Shelton, at times, looks lost, but I think he'll get it. I am hopeful there.

Bucs have played better the past week or so. Let's see if we can keep that going boys!

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:11 pm

And since MJ's post, the Bucs have lost 8 in a row.

They are on track for what would be a 47-115 record if the season was 162 games.

Major League Suckage.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Yeah, I was like, damn, man, did I jinx 'em? Nah. They were the day Nutting took over the team.

Yeah, they can't really catch a break. Injuries mount up like crazy for this team. Brault's last start was a nice gem in the middle of this mess.

I'm mildly optimistic about next year. Our pitching staff (rotation and relief) could come together nicely. We'll see.

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:15 pm

I am seriously pessimistic about the Bucs for next year and years to come.

I first saw the Bucs in person in 1953. They finished 50-104, a .325 W-L %. This season they finished .317. Yes only 60 games but they were trending toward a worse % over 162 games.

In 53 the Bucs started the season with the great Ralph Kiner. This year we had bums like Heridia, Oliva, Riddle, Murphy and the disappearing Polanco none of whom would have had a roster spot on the 53 trainwreck.

I would say this is as bad as it can possibly get but I said that about the 53 team and look what has happened. In the short view I see things getting much worse rather than better.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:36 pm

...the disappearing Polanco...
Remember when Polanco was the missing piece that was going to carry the Buccos to multiple World Series’ ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:22 pm

In what seem like 10 minutes the Pirates outfield has gone from all-star to sub-JAG.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Pirates look to be a the 4A level of farm system for teams like the Yankees

- Fred Sanford

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:03 pm

And now the Archer trade is a complete bust as Archer rejoins Tampa.

So now Meadows, Glasnow and Archer are all on Tampa and the Pirates got...well they didn’t have to pay two young star players (they took on extra salary to avoid that, though).

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:27 pm

jeemie wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:03 pm
And now the Archer trade is a complete bust as Archer rejoins Tampa.

So now Meadows, Glasnow and Archer are all on Tampa and the Pirates got...well they didn’t have to pay two young star players (they took on extra salary to avoid that, though).
Neil Huntington...the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Still willing to give the new management team a chance to show what they can do. I'm actually fairly pleased with the trades Cherington has made so far. I still think they lack some aggressiveness in FA (low level of course) and some of the trades they might pull off, but we are outside while they are inside, so you never know what they've actually tried to do. Flood the system with prospects of higher value (they are in process), and make sure as hell you have people in place who can develop talent. I think they have done the latter, but time will tell.

They will suck this year, and probably next year, but what I want to see is some progress within that suckitude. Individual player development, some signs that Shelty knows how to manage and his staff knows how to coach, that sort of thing.

I have more optimism about the Bucs at this juncture than I do the Steelers or Pens. Yep.

wrongpath39

Post by wrongpath39 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm

yeah i have liked some of the deals too. shows things are heading in the right direction.

hate to say it but kind of reminds me of the Indians 5-6 years before they won.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic