NBA, NHL or Jeopardy?

This is where old posts that do not fit into any of the new forum categories are dumped.
Legacy User

NBA, NHL or Jeopardy?

Post by Legacy User » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:18 pm

What's the most exciting sport on TV this week?

I have a feeling Holzhauer is going to break the record on ABC but delayed competing vs. NBA game.

A lot of people talk about his strategy but he's getting 97% of the answers correct, which is unreal in terms of general knowledge.

He's one of the three or so smartest people I have seen in my life.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:30 am

What do you mean delayed competing against an NBA game?

Is J! on at a different timeslot where you live?

It's on at 7:00 here in Philadelphia...and he has a good shot at beating the cash record tomorrow night when there's no game. For sure he'll top it Tuesday unless he somehow loses.

James is a phenom...every weeknight at 7 the big screen is tuned to J! and nothing else.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:19 pm

On the West Coast it's on ABC 7pm PST, but the Thursday show was preempted by NBA and it was delayed until 10.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 am

You will enjoy tonight's match very much.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:32 am

The leak was all over the media so I knew what was going to happen.

Ironically he lost because he didn't bet aggressively enough and she did. I suppose he was betting that she would miss the question and that she was going to double down.

He also failed to get big Daily Doubles on this show.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:54 am

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:The leak was all over the media so I knew what was going to happen.

Ironically he lost because he didn't bet aggressively enough and she did. I suppose he was betting that she would miss the question and that she was going to double down.

He also failed to get big Daily Doubles on this show.

He bet the exact right amount. Jay was the one who screwed up his bet.

James said he lost on the Duke of Albany clue...he was slow to recall the answer and Emma snagged it. She got the first Daily Double next...in the square James said he would have gone for had he won the Albany clue

I thought Emma went way too conservative when she got the final Daily Double. She should have gone for more than $3,000.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Only one clue missed...period...the entire game. I don't think I've ever seen such a well-played game.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:11 am

You're right, he bet enough to cover the third place double and no amount of aggressiveness would have beat her bet that covered it by one dollar. Plus he had to know that a very smart librarian was going to get a Shakespeare clue correct so he was hoping for a miracle. So his only chance was that she missed and he didn't fuck it up by letting the guy sneak a win.

I think he lost on the Daily Doubles. The first one he hit right away so he had no money to parlay and she got the other two. One as you mentioned was based on the Albany clue.

It will be interesting to see how long she lasts. The gal that beat Ken Jennings didn't win the next day. This gal looks like she could make a deep run.

I actually think she made the right move on her second Daily Double...she wanted to win enough to guarantee she would have more money at the end of the round into FJ but not to shut her out if she missed. Going big might have weakened her on Final Jeopardy because the most important thing is to be ahead by one dollar if you can't be ahead by double the amount plus one (which guarantees the win).

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:51 am

One of the subtle things J! producers started doing once James' streak got hot was dropping the Daily Doubles, especially in the first round, down into the highest value clues. It's not often found there...I'm sure they were tweaking it so it landed there more often than usual.

Yes and Emma looks strong. I personally believe Ken had had enough of the game and purposely tanked his Final J! when he lost. I can't believe he didn't know H&R Block was the one that would employ 70,000 WHITE-collar workers only four months a year.

Blows my mind that what we just witnessed actually all happened in the space of a little more than two weeks.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:11 am

If Tomlin came on Jeopardy, Cliff Clavin could be confident that he won't have the stupidest betting strategy in the history of the game anymore.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:If Tomlin came on Jeopardy, Cliff Clavin could be confident that he won't have the stupidest betting strategy in the history of the game anymore.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFSkWfFhO0[/youtube]

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:17 pm

Holzhauer and Jennings won more money but will never be the legend that Turd Ferguson was.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:15 pm

I don't want to see James v Ken.

I want to see James v the only undefeated Jeopardy champion...Brad Rutter.

Brad is just as smart...maybe smarter...just as deadly with the buzzer...and won't be fazed by James' style.

Brad is 5x the player Ken is.

Plus if I'm Brad, I'm pissed that I wasn't even mentioned during the James hype.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 am

Holzhauer changed his Twitter avatar to Al Yankovic losing on Jeopardy, which is great and such a Holzhauer move.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 am

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:Holzhauer changed his Twitter avatar to Al Yankovic losing on Jeopardy, which is great and such a Holzhauer move.

LOL.

Emma managed to avoid being Nancy Zerg.

She looks to have a hard streak in her...was visibly annoyed at all the James references during her match yesterday, almost as if to say "He's gone...this is my time".

LOL- james references are to be expected for the first game or two but I agree with her if they keep on happening, and she's still there, she has a right to be annoyed. But not yet.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 am

Three day run ends.

Surprised she missed that Final Jeopardy...if she had written "Guthrie" do you think they would have given it to her? I would guess no. Guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Arlo is totally the wrong time period Will Rodgers was long gone by then.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:Three day run ends.

Surprised she missed that Final Jeopardy...if she had written "Guthrie" do you think they would have given it to her? I would guess no. Guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Arlo is totally the wrong time period Will Rodgers was long gone by then.

I don't think they give it to her. Especially with Bob Dylan being there and crossed out, showing she got stuck in the wrong decade.

Wouldn't have mattered anyway...champ bet enough to cover her.

BTW I learned J! nerds have a name for the predicament James was in Monday night...the Stratton Dilemma.

It's when the second place person cannot make a bet that covers both a third place person's successful all in bet and the leader's current score. The consensus is to do what James did...cover the third place person and hope the leader didn't recognize the Dilemma, bets to cover your doubled score and loses.

If Emma had recognized the dilemma, she could have risked a $0 bet. But there the rule of thumb always is...if you are going to lose, lose because you don't know...not because you bet wrong.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Stratton dilemma?

Didn't Peter Bogdanovich have to deal with that forty years ago? Do I mourn my playmate girlfriend's murder at the hands of her crazy ex-boyfriend or just bang her sister?

Star 80 is actually a very underrated movie.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:Stratton dilemma?

Didn't Peter Bogdanovich have to deal with that forty years ago? Do I mourn my playmate girlfriend's murder at the hands of her crazy ex-boyfriend or just bang her sister?

Star 80 is actually a very underrated movie.

:lol: :lol:

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:11 am

Jeopardy apparently has an app. Does this allow you to play along with voice recognition and tell you if you won the buzzer? I would imagine this would be difficult because distance along would cause enough of a delay to be late. If it worked their audience would be much bigger. These trivia games at sports bars come to mind.

Locked Previous topicNext topic