Hey Teachers

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Professor Half Wit

Hey Teachers

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 pm

Y'all ready to punch Zoom in the face or burn masks, yet?

Gonna be a long 15 weeks...

“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Post by 955876 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:57 am

I feel for you. I really do.

I have a couple that are both professors. He’s long retired but she is an English professor at one of the CSUs here.

She retired this summer. No way I’m going back and doing Zoom, online etc etc etc.

Those with one foot out the door likely feel the same. Dont want to learn the “new normal” if they aren’t going to be part of that normal moving forward.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:51 am

955876 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:57 am

I have a couple that are both professors. He’s long retired but she is an English professor at one of the CSUs here.

She retired this summer. No way I’m going back and doing Zoom, online etc etc etc.

Those with one foot out the door likely feel the same. Dont want to learn the “new normal” if they aren’t going to be part of that normal moving forward.
I am old with one foot out the door will be teaching all online this semester even though my campus is going "full opening" according to our chancellor despite no provisions for testing, distancing, etc. When the going gets tough the tough ( 42nd year coming up) get virtual.

And ZOOM can eat a dick.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:46 am

What's really fun is teaching online bc your child is online.

I get to try to teach my students and my own child this semester. At the same time!

Wanna guess who will be the priority?

I feel for my students, I really do.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:13 pm

I do not envy any of you guys. Seriously this blows

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Steeler Owl wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:51 am
955876 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:57 am

I am old with one foot out the door will be teaching all online this semester even though my campus is going "full opening" according to our chancellor despite no provisions for testing, distancing, etc. When the going gets tough the tough ( 42nd year coming up) get virtual.

And ZOOM can eat a dick.

Ty for what you do.

Also a huge shout out on your awesomeness that “zoom can eat a dick”. (Best line I’ve read here in months.

This new normal can fuck right off as well.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 pm

Both my grandmother and grandfather on my mother's side were school teachers. Imagine the country house with a room for all the village kids, of all ages.

The fact that people are paid millions of dollars to chase a ball on a grassy field while teachers are bullied into sacrificing their lives and loved ones because of politics is bullshit. You do know that the republican senate earmarked $90 B for public schools (Dems proposed over $300 B) but the caveat for repubs is that 90% of those funds are only for schools that re-open for in person teaching. Talk about manipulating behavior with financial/ existential threats.

But yeah. Zoom and whatever is stupid. What is your opinion? Should schools open? How? I think there should be money to retrofit schools for negative air flow, and a permanent staff member that organizes PPE, protocol, and polices it. Just like an infectious disease wing of a hospital. Yup. Lots of cash. But I know many won't want to give up their dividends so they can get those shiny new rims for their Porsche.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Post by 955876 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:39 pm

But I know many won't want to give up their dividends so they can get those shiny new rims for their Porsche.
You buy a proper Porsche you don’t need to put “shiny new rims“ on it.

Comes pretty good to go already.

And taxing dividends (which many seniors rely on for income) would in no way come anywhere close to paying for a program such as that.

You propose cutting seniors income?

The social ideologue with zero financial sense strikes again.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 pm

I do a fair bit of presenting, for both business and church. Zoom really loses a lot in translation. Like, there are times when you want everyone to be able to speak (sing) at the same time, and for everyone to hear everyone else. It sucks for sure.

I was always an introvert who kinda taught myself. Like, I enjoyed teachers (sometimes) and classmates (maybe) and class rooms. But most of my real learning happened on my own. In the library. In the lab. Or in the world. So, I never really thought much about the problems Zoom presents. Like, who cares. Kids’ gonna go online and figure it out, right? Well, no.

I have a friend with four kids 12, 11, 9, and 6. One of them has learning disabilities. They all have different learning styles.

The one with learning disabilities NEEDS external help in maintaining focus. And she must have a three-dimensional environment to interact with. At 9, the kid cooks better than most chefs in town (and we’re a pretty foodie town). She just seems to “understand” the chemistry of how ingredients work together, which flavors go together, how to use the tools, and how to use her senses to make it happen. Amazing, really. But she can’t sleep because she feels so much pressure (in part because the siblings are all cracker-jack students) to get grades, in an teaching environment that might as well be tree stumps speaking Sanskrit because of how she perceives language…especially in a flat-screen environment. So, she sits up all night, crying and retaking tests, basically guessing at multiple choice questions and hoping to get a better score this time.

For some people, Zoom REALLY sucks.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Quixotic wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 pm
I do a fair bit of presenting, for both business and church. Zoom really loses a lot in translation. Like, there are times when you want everyone to be able to speak (sing) at the same time, and for everyone to hear everyone else. It sucks for sure.

I was always an introvert who kinda taught myself. Like, I enjoyed teachers (sometimes) and classmates (maybe) and class rooms. But most of my real learning happened on my own. In the library. In the lab. Or in the world. So, I never really thought much about the problems Zoom presents. Like, who cares. Kids’ gonna go online and figure it out, right? Well, no.

I have a friend with four kids 12, 11, 9, and 6. One of them has learning disabilities. They all have different learning styles.

The one with learning disabilities NEEDS external help in maintaining focus. And she must have a three-dimensional environment to interact with. At 9, the kid cooks better than most chefs in town (and we’re a pretty foodie town). She just seems to “understand” the chemistry of how ingredients work together, which flavors go together, how to use the tools, and how to use her senses to make it happen. Amazing, really. But she can’t sleep because she feels so much pressure (in part because the siblings are all cracker-jack students) to get grades, in an teaching environment that might as well be tree stumps speaking Sanskrit because of how she perceives language…especially in a flat-screen environment. So, she sits up all night, crying and retaking tests, basically guessing at multiple choice questions and hoping to get a better score this time.

This is heartbreaking.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:08 pm
Quixotic wrote:

This is heartbreaking.
Yep.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 am

955876 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:39 pm
But I know many won't want to give up their dividends so they can get those shiny new rims for their Porsche.
You buy a proper Porsche you don’t need to put “shiny new rims“ on it.
LMFAO. "rims on a Porsche". Says a lot about Corten that he didn't mean to reveal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:13 pm

I'm a 2nd Grade teacher. Fortunately, we are able to do brick and mortar teaching, but on a part-time basis, so to speak. Because our school is so large, our students are broken into 2 groups -group A and group B. The group alternate every other day, so we teach group A on Monday, then turn around and teach the exact same lessons to Group B on Tuesday, etc.... I have 11 students in Group A and 6 in Group B. We must all have masks on, even when outside. Playground equipment is shutdown and we are socially distanced by classroom throughout the grounds, so the kids can't even play with their other school friends. All itinerants (music, gym, art, etc.) come to our classroom. The gym is now a makeshift cafeteria where half the students eat, and they sit every other seat (there are dots on the seats they may sit on). Masks are slowly being replaced with face shields (I'm ordering some tonight for my grand-kids). I've missed my kids for the last 6 months. I'm a teacher who usually has students stop in each and every morning to say hi, give/take a hug, and head to their classroom - they are not permitted to do so now! Some of my littles just need that adult "caring" moment in the morning and we can't give them that. I hate the fact that they have to have their masks on nearly the entire day (we can take mask breaks for 5 minutes at a time). This alternating schedule is not allowing the kids to get into a routine either (neither can I) and parent are already struggling trying to juggle work, and homework on the off days - oh, forgot to mention that we are directed to give at least 2 hours of work for the students to complete on the day they don't have school! On top of all that, we just went to a new math curriculum, so we don't even know the program well enough to determine the hit and skip lessons so we can try and get kids through the entire program this year,so they are as prepared as possible for next year. The kids have to bring water bottles (the district also provides) because the fountains are shut down, and everyone gets their temperature check in the morning as they come in (this is actually running rather smoothly considering their are about 700 kids each day). We all miss the normalcy of school and hope this is all over before the end of the year, so we can have a real classroom with all of the kids in their seat engaging with others without mask and barriers.For me - I truly hate it all! I miss teaching all my kids, being with them everyday and getting to know them and their personalities, even if I could ring some of their necks at times, lol!

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Quixotic wrote:

I'm so sorry Quix that she has to go through that. Don't be afraid to reach out to her teachers and tell them of her struggles - we are here to help as much as possible. Most teachers I know, can feel her pain and would do whatever we can to help. PM me if she ever needs some help - I'll do my best to help her.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 am

I've got HS classes that I run with a lot of student collaboration, and I've come to a grim realization that, with the breakout rooms feature, Zoom may in fact be a better option than in person (with separation/social distance in place) teaching. Even when we're back together, we're still going to be apart. Good God, this sucks.

Quix, I've been spending my "office hours" working one on one with students in our special needs population, and yeah, even with the extra time invested, there's a lot of frustration, and mixed results at best. Leaves both them, and less importantly, me, and I'm sure parents and families, powerless.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:12 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 am
I've got HS classes that I run with a lot of student collaboration, and I've come to a grim realization that, with the breakout rooms feature, Zoom may in fact be a better option than in person (with separation/social distance in place) teaching. Even when we're back together, we're still going to be apart. Good God, this sucks.

Quix, I've been spending my "office hours" working one on one with students in our special needs population, and yeah, even with the extra time invested, there's a lot of frustration, and mixed results at best. Leaves both them, and less importantly, me, and I'm sure parents and families, powerless.
I don’t think people appreciate just how hard it is for HS teachers to put on the make up and perform the clown show 6 times a day 5 days a week to get students motivated and excited to learn let alone keep the best engaged and learning while trying to bring along the worst.

And doing this by Zoom.

As someone at uni, my experience teaching by Zoom is that it just does not work as well. There is no substitute for maskless face to face interaction.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:41 pm

It's been an experience doing it remotely, for sure, and it's really difficult for some types of learners. If you're a hands on learner, for instance, you're pretty lost at this point, and I almost have to schedule 1 on 1 time with you. I can't wait to get back into the classroom, but with distancing in place, that's not gonna be the same place, or a guaranteed panacea, either. Just another set of brand new challenges.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:53 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:19 pm
Quixotic wrote:

I'm so sorry Quix that she has to go through that. Don't be afraid to reach out to her teachers and tell them of her struggles - we are here to help as much as possible. Most teachers I know, can feel her pain and would do whatever we can to help. PM me if she ever needs some help - I'll do my best to help her.
Thanks, buddy. She’s the daughter of a friend, so I really don’t have any real roll, other than to empathize. I do appreciate your concern. It’s a tough time to be a kid, I guess.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 am

Thanks, ICE. Yep. Pretty frustrating. It’s taking its toll on that whole family. Appreciate your concern.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:20 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Both my grandmother and grandfather on my mother's side were school teachers. Imagine the country house with a room for all the village kids, of all ages.

The fact that people are paid millions of dollars to chase a ball on a grassy field while teachers are bullied into sacrificing their lives and loved ones because of politics is bullshit. You do know that the republican senate earmarked $90 B for public schools (Dems proposed over $300 B) but the caveat for repubs is that 90% of those funds are only for schools that re-open for in person teaching. Talk about manipulating behavior with financial/ existential threats.

But yeah. Zoom and whatever is stupid. What is your opinion? Should schools open? How? I think there should be money to retrofit schools for negative air flow, and a permanent staff member that organizes PPE, protocol, and polices it. Just like an infectious disease wing of a hospital. Yup. Lots of cash. But I know many won't want to give up their dividends so they can get those shiny new rims for their Porsche.
One in no way relates to the other. But to put this general canard in its place (i.e., we pay guys millions to chase a ball but don't pay teachers enough) -- the NFL made about 16b in 2019 in revenue, not profits. The players got a cut of that (a little more than 8b). Let's say other football players get paid about 1b (wildly overstating it). So, annually 10b is paid to football players.

Just doing some back of the envelope math, teachers in the US are paid in cash about 100b p.a. (decent amount of consideration is in fringe benefits).

So, teachers as a group get paid about 10x what football players as a group get paid. But football is scalable whereas teaching (to this point) is not. So in scalable careers you will see a lot of losers and a few massive winners, whereas in non-scalable careers you see a lot more average.

But anyone you slice it, from a financial perspective our country cares a lot more about teachers than football players.

We can leave the whole question about PPE, etc. to the side (though happy to engage in another place).

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:42 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:20 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:14 pm

One in no way relates to the other. But to put this general canard in its place (i.e., we pay guys millions to chase a ball but don't pay teachers enough) -- the NFL made about 16b in 2019 in revenue, not profits. The players got a cut of that (a little more than 8b). Let's say other football players get paid about 1b (wildly overstating it). So, annually 10b is paid to football players.

Just doing some back of the envelope math, teachers in the US are paid in cash about 100b p.a. (decent amount of consideration is in fringe benefits).

So, teachers as a group get paid about 10x what football players as a group get paid. But football is scalable whereas teaching (to this point) is not. So in scalable careers you will see a lot of losers and a few massive winners, whereas in non-scalable careers you see a lot more average.

But anyone you slice it, from a financial perspective our country cares a lot more about teachers than football players.

We can leave the whole question about PPE, etc. to the side (though happy to engage in another place).
That's a nice way to twist morality and use raw data to support your view. I completely disagree.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:36 pm

On behalf of teachers, you're welcome for being able to do the back of an envelope math.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic