Terry Bradshaw Bourbon

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.

Terry Bradshaw Bourbon

Post by 955876 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Arrived today. Bought two. One to sample/share and the other to preserve.

It isn't too bad either. Now not the best bourbon you'll ever have but not the worst either.

Figured can't be both a die hard Steelers fan and whiskey aficionado without having one in the collection.

The 103.8 proof is in relation to his 51.9 career completion %.

Anyone else buy any of this?

For whatever reason cannot post pic from iphone.

Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:49 am

“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:57 am

955876 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:28 pm
Now THAT is attention to detail.

Surprised it didn't straight-up suck. I heard Proper No. 12 (Conor McGregor) is mid-shelf, to be very generous. Although I think reviews of Cabo Wabo (Sammy Hagar) and Casamigos (George Clooney) are a bit more favorable.

I've had none of these, but am finding I'm more of a fine tequila guy than either whiskey or even wine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 am

OK, those people know marketing & branding. I'm tempted just to collect the bottle alone.
K_C_ wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:49 am
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:37 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:57 am
955876 wrote:

Surprised it didn't straight-up suck. I heard Proper No. 12 (Conor McGregor) is mid-shelf, to be very generous. Although I think reviews of Cabo Wabo (Sammy Hagar) and Casamigos (George Clooney) are a bit more favorable.

I've had none of these, but am finding I'm more of a fine tequila guy than either whiskey or even wine.
Both Casamigos and Cabo Wabo are fantastic....and weirdly enough, very similar.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Post by 955876 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:11 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:37 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:57 am
955876 wrote:

Both Casamigos and Cabo Wabo are fantastic....and weirdly enough, very similar.
Agree on the Casamigos & Cabo. The Casamigos Anejo is particularly good.

Very smooth sipper. Not quite Don Julio 42 good but still very good tequila.

Tried the Proper 12 and wasn’t really a fan. Personally, I’d rather have regular ole run of the mill Jameson than that.

Now if we wanna talk really good Irish whiskey stuff like Writer’s Tears or the Green, Yellow, or Red Spots all quite good.

From there, Red Breast Twelve is great with the cask strength version even better.

The 15 year didn’t suit my palate as much but the 21 year is off the charts good. If you see a bottle of Redbreast 21 sitting on a shelf grab it. Pricey but exquisite.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 pm

My palate is simpler...Wild Turkey 101
I'm guessing the state stores here in PA are going to be shutdown(again) any time so I'm heading out in search of the Blonde Bombers mix.

Post by 955876 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:44 pm

Got mine online. But then, I’m in CA so not exactly an item you’ll see sitting on the shelves out here. I’m sure there would have to be some local distribution in & around Pittsburgh.

On a side note, for bourbon fans out there, if you come across a bottle of Blanton’s Straight from the Barrel buy it. Will either need to go online and hunt it down or pick it up while traveling in Europe as this is currently only available for European distribution.

It’s excellent. The depth of flavors in this thing is off the charts. And for coming in at right about 130 proof it is surprisingly an easy sipper. Now don’t get me wrong, you can find the fire on your palate but it isn’t the type of huge burn you get from say a George T. Stagg.

It’s a shame Buffalo Trace only releases the regular Blanton’s here in US given its nowhere near as good as the Gold, Black, or SFTB expressions they distribute to Europe & Asia...

Post by 955876 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 am

WhistlePig The Boss Hog Magellan’s Atlantic

Come across it, try it. Even if your not a fan of rye.

I’ve disliked more of the Boss Hog series than I’ve liked but this one is outstanding IMO.

Very unique finishing process.

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm

I got a bottle as a Christmas gift. I thought it was very good. I'll buy some more.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

Post by 955876 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 pm

You referring to the Terry Bradshaw bourbon or the Boss Hog from my post above?

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 pm

He might have to bring his peanut butter back and mix it with some whiskey and start selling the peanut butter whiskey flavor while he is at it.

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:43 pm

If he wants folks to barf.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 pm

Whats a GOOD bourbon I can get in the states ?? Im just finishing a handle of Evan Williams and I want something upscale.

Anything similar to the Euro Blantons you mentioned ??
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Post by 955876 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:02 pm

Closest I can think of off the top of my head would be the George T. Stagg. And I think most would agree or argue that the George T Stagg is superior.

But that is going to be hard to find. It’s an allocated bourbon so only so many bottles released each year and they go quick. MSRP is usually around $120 but that is if you can find a bottle out in the wild at retail.

Mostly goes in the $500-$700 range. Now I’m not talking Stagg Jr. either. Not the same stuff.

Both the Euro release Blanton’s Straight from the Barrel and the George T. Stagg are uncut & unfiltered straight from the barrel whiskies. The Blanton’s usually comes in around 127-129 proof and that is about the same for the George T.

Although there was a run for several years where the George T. Stagg was being released at between 140-144. I’d say if you stumble across one of those don’t open it as is should appreciate. But no harm in drinking that bad boy as well if ok prying with the $$$

Something you could find easier? Hmmmm. Rock Hill Farms is a pretty good bourbon that has risen in popularity. Overpriced from where it should be but almost all single barrel bourbons of any decent quality are selling at higher than what they should cost prices.

One I like is Weller. Not the green label Special Reserve (it’s ok but just not “special” really) but either the Weller 12 or the Weller Antique 107. The 12 is a very smooth 90 proof. The Antique 107 is well, 107 proof.

Now Weller is a “wheater” meaning they use wheat instead of rye in the mash bill. Wheated bourbons tend to be considered to be smoother as the rye adds that spice. Blanton’s for example tend to have a bit higher rye so more spice.

The Pappy Van Winkle line is most famous of the wheated bourbons. Bottom of the line Pappy runs around $800 in my neck of the woods but that isn’t even for the higher end Pappy so really not worth it.

The Weller typically runs about $200 for the 12 year and about $120 for the Antique 107. Weller very similar mash bill and same distiller as Pappy so been referred to as “Pappy Light” by some.

Some will even mix the 12 & 107 as the thinking is the 12 year lacks a bit of pop at only 90 proof while the 107 lacks a bit of refinement due to less time in the barrel.

There is a cask strength Weller I saw once and almost grabbed it. However, I came across it at a shop in San Francisco and the guy wanted $600 for it. I knew he was gouging me so passed. Plus, that “cask strength” only came in at 114 proof so to me wasn’t worth paying the huge premium over the 107 I already had a couple bottles of.

Now if you EVER come across the very hard to find William Larue Weller bottle at any decent price grab it. It’s the unicorn of the bunch. Part of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection that is allocated like the George T. Stagg. I’ve only seen it online and typically is going for $1,500.

Dont be put off by the boring Weller bottle they use for the special deserve, 107, and 12 year. The juice inside is good (again, not big fan of special reserve) despite the underwhelming packaging.

Regular Blanton’s is fine too but you just won’t like it nearly as much after trying side by side with their Blanton’s Gold or the Straight from the Barrel.

Col. EH Taylor good.

Michter’s is good provided you get at least their 10 year.

Henry McKenna is a decent bottle but only if not paying a premium. It’s good but far from great. Should be a $30 bottle but I’ve seen as high as $150. Paid $45 for mine.

Really comes down to where you’ll be shopping and what they have. Hit or miss. Especially this time of year.

Something easy to find that I think tends to be a pretty good mass produced Bourbon would be the higher proof Knob Creeks.

I picked up a 127 proof Knob Creek rye at Costco. Makes an excellent Manhattan. A bit hot if sipping.

And speaking of Rye, I’d really encourage you to try the Boss Hogg Magellan Atlantic I mentioned above. Maybe it’s just my palate but that one is special.

It’s the only whiskey in the world finished the way throw one was. Bottle retails for $500.

I’ve had better luck online getting stuff.

Flaviar and Dewine Spot are some places I’ve gotten stuff at and didn’t have any issues.

Post by 955876 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:18 pm

Or, Google the Gin & Whiskey shop in Belgium. The guy that runs it is a nice chap. That is where I’ve ordered my euro released Blanton’s from.

You end up paying more with the exchange rate & shipping but if you can’t get it here you don’t really have another way.

I got a bottle of Hibiki 17 from him. His asking was $500 euros. With exchange rate & shipping my total was around $630 U.S.

A liquor shop by my house had one bottle of that Hibiki 17 and they were asking $1,100. So knew I was money good from the get go with that one.

And it’ll remain sealed.

Post by 955876 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:42 pm

Also, if you see a George T. Stagg and it’s 116.9 proof that one is the 2019 and is kind of frowned upon for being the lowest proof by quite a bit of all the George T Staggs going back to 2002.

Now it’s still likely quite good and might even be not only more approachable at the lower proof but even better tasting. Stagg fans turn their nose a bit but that is only because they obsess over the ABV. But at almost 117 proof it’s still way higher than what most people are accustomed to.

The 2020 release was bottled at 130.4.

I have the 2017 which is 129.2 and it’s hot hot & hot.

The bourbon drinker that hasn’t experienced the higher proof stuff may not even like it.

Suwanee88

Post by Suwanee88 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:39 pm

955876 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:44 pm
Got mine online. But then, I’m in CA so not exactly an item you’ll see sitting on the shelves out here. I’m sure there would have to be some local distribution in & around Pittsburgh.

On a side note, for bourbon fans out there, if you come across a bottle of Blanton’s Straight from the Barrel buy it. Will either need to go online and hunt it down or pick it up while traveling in Europe as this is currently only available for European distribution.

It’s excellent. The depth of flavors in this thing is off the charts. And for coming in at right about 130 proof it is surprisingly an easy sipper. Now don’t get me wrong, you can find the fire on your palate but it isn’t the type of huge burn you get from say a George T. Stagg.

It’s a shame Buffalo Trace only releases the regular Blanton’s here in US given its nowhere near as good as the Gold, Black, or SFTB expressions they distribute to Europe & Asia...
I’ll drink Blanton’s spilled off a sidewalk. Love that brand.

Post by 955876 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Well in that case, tailgate??
85F6A288-B164-42B9-9E10-BE297C9CA878.jpeg
85F6A288-B164-42B9-9E10-BE297C9CA878.jpeg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 1718 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic