Joe Montana Wanted to Play for Steelers

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
beerbrother

Joe Montana Wanted to Play for Steelers

Post by beerbrother » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 am

Was reading pansylawyertalk.com and came across this quote from Joe Montana.
“Here’s how it goes,” Montana said. “I played in San Francisco, played in Kansas City, but I grew up in Pittsburgh when they were winning Super Bowls when I was a kid. So you can add the Steelers to that list of confusion. In fact, I actually tried to go to Pittsburgh before I got to Kansas City. Tried to just go home.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... cant-lose/
Don't remember this. WTF were the Steelers thinking?

Why didn't they make this happen?

"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

meanjustinbarlow

Post by meanjustinbarlow » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:08 am

How disappointing

The 93-95 Steelers were a QB away from winning at least 2 super bowls.

The problem was that Odonnell made the fuckin pro bowl after the 92 season and showed too much promise to justify bringing in the veteran Montana. He made them pay in the playoffs. Sad.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:09 am

Serious facepalm.

Neil O'Donnell was pretty good in late '91 and '92, and you had a new coach coming in. I suppose it was too much upheaval for one offseason.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 am

I kind of remember that rumor. Also remember Marino wanting to finish in Pittsburgh too, but they had Korky.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:34 am

O’Donnell over Montana...
Kordell over Marino...

Yeah, sounds about right... :roll:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

KCSteeler

Post by KCSteeler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 am
I kind of remember that rumor. Also remember Marino wanting to finish in Pittsburgh too, but they had Korky.
Too soon.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it"....Charles Oakley

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:06 pm

meanjustinbarlow wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:08 am
How disappointing

The problem was that Odonnell made the fuckin pro bowl after the 92 season and showed too much promise to justify bringing in the veteran Montana. He made them pay in the playoffs. Sad.
Could you please just call him "The Numbnutz Who Shall Not Be Named". Funny thing is I knew Charles Johnson personally. I saw him about 3 days after Numbnutz was playing pitch & catch with Larry Brown. I asked Charles what happened, he said Numbnutz heard footsteps and just trew the ball up cause he was scarred. If he would have just waited 2 more seconds we had a Wr streaking down the sideline by himself. Charles told me LLoyd & Green were so PO'd they didn't take their uniforms off, just grabbed their crap out of their locker and left. He thought Lloyd was gonna kill Numbnutz.
Obliteration Is Imminent

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:34 am
Kordell over Marino...

For those giving Cowher a pass on the QB situation.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 pm

gojira5150 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:06 pm
meanjustinbarlow wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:08 am
How disappointing

Could you please just call him "The Numbnutz Who Shall Not Be Named". Funny thing is I knew Charles Johnson personally. I saw him about 3 days after Numbnutz was playing pitch & catch with Larry Brown. I asked Charles what happened, he said Numbnutz heard footsteps and just trew the ball up cause he was scarred. If he would have just waited 2 more seconds we had a Wr streaking down the sideline by himself. Charles told me LLoyd & Green were so PO'd they didn't take their uniforms off, just grabbed their crap out of their locker and left. He thought Lloyd was gonna kill Numbnutz.
Two seconds is a LOOOOOONG time.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Montana or Marino at 50% could have won SBs with those teams. Never heard about Montana but I was so pissed about Marino. Move Kordell back to slash/wr with Marino at the helm and that offense would have been solid. If nothing else, Marino's leadership and ability to manager the offense would have been a huge upgrade. Grrrrrrr
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm

Theory: Jared Goff is the new Neil O'Donnell

Discuss
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Nick79

Post by Nick79 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:40 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:34 am
Kordell over Marino...

Of course the genius Rooneys cut Johnny Unitas, Len Dawson, Jack Kemp, even Earl Morrall in the '50s to keep Ted Marchibroda at QB, Unitas was even a ''local guy''. Yes, between 1950-1960 they had all those guys on the roster and let them go.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Im glad they never brought in coke head Dan. Highly overrated IMO
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Montana woulda been GREAT though probably at least 1 or 2 more rings
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 am

Is it possible that rather than stupidity on the part of the Steelers being the reason for their not signing Marino or Montana that the reason could be financial? We are talking about the 90's when the Steelers were still in TRS and not yet in Heinz. The whole reason for building Heinz is because TRS lacked the luxury boxes which are a big source of revenue for teams to sign free agents. There was a parade of good players leaving the Steelers in the 90's because others teams simply had more money to give free agents than the Steelers. So when the software developer billionaire owner of the Seahawks put a big contract down in front of Chad Brown, the Steelers couldn't match, and off he went to Seattle so his wife could find good sushi.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic