"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:48 am

Jobu wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:36 am
Steelers4Life wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 am
I wish the Steelers incorporated the FB the way the Niners do. Also wish that Nix could stay healthy so we can do so.
Nix isn’t in the same ballpark as Juszczyk. He should be at the top of the cut list.
Nix has a cap hit of $1.8m next year. He's not going anywhere.

For reference, Juszczyk will be earning nearly 7m

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:53 am

Hopefully, the Rooney's, Colbert n Tomlin have been watching the playoffs and realize how behind the times we are and how behind the rest of the NFL we are. Hopefully, they come in to facilty tmrw and fire Danny Smith n Fictners ass. Hopefully! We look like a Jr high team compared to the teams in the playoffs this year. And it's not JUST cause Ben went down. We need brains and innovation in alot of areas. Get some fresh, young minds into the org.

Old School

Post by Old School » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:06 am

Steelersfan wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:53 am
Hopefully, the Rooney's, Colbert n Tomlin have been watching the playoffs and realize how behind the times we are and how behind the rest of the NFL we are. Hopefully, they come in to facilty tmrw and fire Danny Smith n Fictners ass. Hopefully! We look like a Jr high team compared to the teams in the playoffs this year. And it's not JUST cause Ben went down. We need brains and innovation in alot of areas. Get some fresh, young minds into the org.

AT&T: "Just OK is not OK"

Tomlin's Steelers are just OK

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:13 am

Pabst wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:48 am
Jobu wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:36 am
Steelers4Life wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 am
I wish the Steelers incorporated the FB the way the Niners do. Also wish that Nix could stay healthy so we can do so.
Nix isn’t in the same ballpark as Juszczyk. He should be at the top of the cut list.
Nix has a cap hit of $1.8m next year. He's not going anywhere.

For reference, Juszczyk will be earning nearly 7m
Yep...like I said, not in the same ballpark.
Ole Rosie was worth every penny he got this past season.
Nix isn’t going anywhere, not because of his cap hit, but because he’s a Tomlin favorite.
Hanging on to and paying guys like Rosie Nix, and pretending that they are making positive contributions are earmarks of the Tomlin regime.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:54 pm

the 2019 49ers remind me of the 1974 Steelers in that the team leans heavily on the defense and running game. Does anyone trust Jimmy Garoppolo to be able to pull them back if they fall behind?
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:39 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
At the very least fire Danny Smith. I honestly don't know how he still has a job here. It's the most egregious example of keeping a useless coach I've ever seen. Our special teams, other than Boswell, have NEVER been good under him.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:01 pm

jebrick wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:54 pm
the 2019 49ers remind me of the 1974 Steelers in that the team leans heavily on the defense and running game. Does anyone trust Jimmy Garoppolo to be able to pull them back if they fall behind?
I do. They had to rely on Jimmy G. in that shootout with New Orleans.

He’s not Mahomes, but he’s a very efficient, very accurate QB. His release is excellent.

I see what Shanahan is doing though. He’s coaching to win, which is really cool to watch.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
We hired a "fresh, young mind" when he hired Mike Tomlin. Did the same when we hired Cowher. And we got 2 dinosaurs.

It has zero to little to do with age. Belichick is the best coach in the league at 67. Andy Reid is a brilliant offensive mind at 61.

I do understand your sentiment. But it's really about finding the right mind.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:08 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Havoc on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Post by 955876 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Hanging on to and paying guys like Rosie Nix, and pretending that they are making positive contributions are earmarks of the Tomlin regime.
At least Nix has some value. As long as you don’t have him try to run it on 4th & 6.

Typical Tomlin will be when he brings back that useless below jag Switzer.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 pm

955876 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:15 pm
At least Nix has some value. As long as you don’t have him try to run it on 4th & 6.

and Cowher era. He loved his vets. Blackwell anyone?

- Fred Sanford

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:23 pm

955876 wrote:

Ehhh...Nix and Switzer fall into the same category. Along with guys like Daniel McCullers, Jordan Dangerfield, and Vince Williams. There are upgrades for these guys out there, and probably not too hard to find...even in the draft. Tomlin and company are just afraid to let go...
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Post by 955876 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:25 pm

jebrick wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 pm
955876 wrote:

Switz will need to put in at least a full seasons work to catch-up to Blackwell’s paltry stats.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 pm

955876 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:25 pm
jebrick wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 pm
955876 wrote:

Switz will need to put in at least a full seasons work to catch-up to Blackwell’s paltry stats.
Not arguing that. I just remember the discussions on what photos Blackwell had on Cowher to stick with the team on Stillers

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:18 pm

jebrick wrote:
Yes. Garoppolo might be the most slept-on QB in the league. He has some iffy days, but generally, his anticipation and reads are excellent and he has a very accurate arm. And Kittle, Deebo, Sanders, Bourne, Richie James & those RBs are a really nice group to throw to. Earlier this year, they were killing teams with the pass.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:21 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:39 pm
Steelersfan wrote:
At the very least fire Danny Smith. I honestly don't know how he still has a job here. It's the most egregious example of keeping a useless coach I've ever seen. Our special teams, other than Boswell, have NEVER been good under him.
IDK, guys. Some aspects have been bterrible, but some things have never been better:
9th overall: 2nd in FG, 5th in KO, 31st in KR, 29th in Punt, 3rd in PR

Schizophrenic.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:01 pm
jebrick wrote:

He’s not Mahomes, but he’s a very efficient, very accurate QB. His release is excellent.

I see what Shanahan is doing though. He’s coaching to win, which is really cool to watch.
They're going to come out throwing it vs. KC. George Kittle might be the game's MVP. The 2005 Steelers strategy for the games leading up to the SB. If they can get a good lead, they have the horses to run to victory without turtling.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Havoc wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:05 pm
Steelersfan wrote:
We hired a "fresh, young mind" when he hired Mike Tomlin. Did the same when we hired Cowher. And we got 2 dinosaurs.

It has zero to little to do with age. Belichick is the best coach in the league at 67. Andy Reid is a brilliant offensive mind at 61.

Rooneys run the show. They want dinosaur football. The coach is bought in. The OC buys in whether he gets it or not. The QB even buys in. If they replace the current dinosaur, you're just going to get a younger dinosaur.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:31 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:18 pm
jebrick wrote:
Yes. Garoppolo might be the most slept-on QB in the league. He has some iffy days, but generally, his anticipation and reads are excellent and he has a very accurate arm. And Kittle, Deebo, Sanders, Bourne, Richie James & those RBs are a really nice group to throw to. Earlier this year, they were killing teams with the pass.
349 and 4TDs @ New Orleans.

And KCs defense isn’t as good as New Orleans.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Post by 955876 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:33 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Havoc wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:

Rooneys run the show. They want dinosaur football. The coach is bought in. The OC buys in whether he gets it or not. The QB even buys in. If they replace the current dinosaur, you're just going to get a younger dinosaur.
Well that gives us something to look forward to.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:42 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Havoc wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:

Unfortunately...this be true.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Old School wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:06 am
Steelersfan wrote:

AT&T: "Just OK is not OK"

Tomlin's Steelers are just OK
Look who just got reinstated!
Well, not officially.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:52 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Havoc wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:

Two years removed from that 2017 offensive juggernaut. Okay.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:54 pm

I don't think it's fair to say that the Steelers want dinosaur football. They can be accused of enabling their stars.

The Steelers hired Fcikhitner to build an offense for Ben. He did just that.

They have an OL that is very effective at pass blocking but can't line up and blow anyone off the ball
There is limited to no play action
There are a lot of 1v1 routes v combination routes - no scheming of anyone open
RB's don't get on the field unless they are really good pass blockers

This made some sense a couple of years back. It was completely unworkable with a lesser talent than Ben behind center (and lesser talents than AB at WR). And it's a recipe for disaster moving forward.

We'll see if any adjustments are made next year or if they'll just revert to creating an offense that makes Ben comfortable and happy, regardless of the outcome.

The niners have the scheme that I hope they learn from. And they have the RB's and of course TE talent that the Steelers should be trying to copy.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:34 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:22 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:01 pm
jebrick wrote:

They're going to come out throwing it vs. KC. George Kittle might be the game's MVP. The 2005 Steelers strategy for the games leading up to the SB. If they can get a good lead, they have the horses to run to victory without turtling.
Additionally they have the type of pass rush that can give Mahomes fits.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Post by 955876 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:06 am

We’ll see if any adjustments are made next year
Don’t count on it. We have the same stooges coming back. You think all of a sudden they’ll change?

They will fall back on all the injuries and new pieces and use that as the sole excuse for failure & woeful offense.

This team is slow to self evaluate. To them it can’t possibly be the coaches AND the players.

Always the execution with them. The plan is rarely, if ever called into question.

I watch the 49ers offense with jealous envy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic