Colbert extended one year.

Post by Obviously » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:16 pm

#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 pm

Sounds good. Colbert has been a large net positive for this team. You can do a hell of a lot worse. I would love to have seen them being a little more pro-active at times but the Steven Nelson signing and the steal of Minkah were really aggressive moves. Post Tomlin era? I'm not scared in the least. Post Colbert era? Different story. Glad to see he's around for another year.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 pm

Colbert is a top 5 GM without question.

His record as a talent evaluator measures up to anyone in the NFL - Bellichick included.

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 am

Only nit pick I have of Colbert is taking clipboard holders like Dobbs when we had needs elsewhere that could have been addressed or burning a 3rd on a faux RB when we actually really needed to add a RB.

Other than that his body of work has been quality.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 am

955876 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 am
Only nitpick I have of Colbert is taking clipboard holders like Dobbs when we had needs elsewhere that could have been addressed or burning a 3rd on a faux RB when we actually really needed to add a RB.

I'll never understand the Dobbs pick or the 5th rounder they spent Colin Holba, a fucking long-snapper. Who is the faux RB you speak of? If you're talking Conner, does everyone forget he made a Pro Bowl and ran for over 1200 yards in 2018?

The only real position he and the Steelers seem to miss on more often is CB and SAF.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:03 am

smithessmokin wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 am
955876 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 am
Only nitpick I have of Colbert is taking clipboard holders like Dobbs when we had needs elsewhere that could have been addressed or burning a 3rd on a faux RB when we actually really needed to add a RB.

I'll never understand the Dobbs pick or the 5th rounder they spent Colin Holba, a fucking long-snapper. Who is the faux RB you speak of? If you're talking Conner, does everyone forget he made a Pro Bowl and ran for over 1200 yards in 2018?

The only real position he and the Steelers seem to miss on more often is CB and SAF.
Wee Dri Archer
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 am

Yes. Dri Archer is who I was referring. Needed to add a RB. Took wee bity Dri when Davonte Freeman was available.

Ended up having to pull Ben Tate off his couch to start a playoff game after Bell went down. All the while our healthy and fresh 3rd round “RB” sat on the bench.

The duo of Colbert & Tomlin have gotten lost a time or two looking for the forrest amongst the trees.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Kinda wish it was longer than 1 year

Overall I feel like he's been a fantastic GM.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Nothing unexpected I guess. Just keeping continuity giving Colbert one last hurrah with Ben.

Art II annoying me stating the Steelers will not sign a qb during free agency??? I sure hope it means they won’t draft one either. They kinda suck at that (aside from BR of course).

Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs, Tee Martin, Dennis Dixon, Omar Jacobs, Mason Rudolph all horrific misses at the qb position. Lack of player development and poor scouting at its finest. WOW those were some utterly wasted draft picks.

So Colbert is back. I’m fine with it. Bracing myself for another long snapper and plenty short trips over to the MAC (Welcome to Pittsburgh Adam Trautman) but fine with it. Tomlin not so much. Whatcha think of that halftime show, Mike?

Any thoughts on the succession plan? Who’s next in line? Colbert’s son? Dan Rooney’s boy taking over for Art? Matt Canada taking over for Tomlin?

“If you’re not first, you’re last!” -Ricky Bobby
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Ah, Dri fucking Archer. Yep, forgot about that head scratcher.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 pm
Colbert is a top 5 GM without question.

His record as a talent evaluator measures up to anyone in the NFL - Bellichick included.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm

The team is run like any company/ corporation/ business. They work as a team. I'm sure colbert probably looked at haley and said "wha?" when he suggested archer. But gave him leeway and threw him a bone. Yeah, ok. You want a gadget midget. Well see how it works out.

It worked out. Haley was wrong, and colbert was keeping the ship sailing straight. A guess. . .
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:42 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm
The team is run like any company/ corporation/ business. They work as a team. I'm sure colbert probably looked at haley and said "wha?" when he suggested archer.
Pretty sure Tomlin was all over that pick, as well, given position flexibility and all - remember, they were also desperate for a returner.

Dri Archer was Ryan Switzer years before Switzer was Switzer. They both had the unique ability to be tackled by strong gusts of wind.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:11 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:42 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm
The team is run like any company/ corporation/ business. They work as a team. I'm sure colbert probably looked at haley and said "wha?" when he suggested archer.
Pretty sure Tomlin was all over that pick, as well, given position flexibility and all - remember, they were also desperate for a returner.

Dri Archer was Ryan Switzer years before Switzer was Switzer. They both had the unique ability to be tackled by strong gusts of wind.
Or guys that outweigh them by forty pounds. Remember when Switzer got rundown from behind by a DE on a punt return last year? That was something.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Do they always only extend him by one year?

Or is he thinking "I'm coming back only one year because I want to see how Ben is...if he's good I'll commit...if not, see ya?"

Or is ownership thinking that?
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:23 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:06 pm
Nothing unexpected I guess. Just keeping continuity giving Colbert one last hurrah with Ben.

Art II annoying me stating the Steelers will not sign a qb during free agency??? I sure hope it means they won’t draft one either. They kinda suck at that (aside from BR of course).

Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs, Tee Martin, Dennis Dixon, Omar Jacobs, Mason Rudolph all horrific misses at the qb position. Lack of player development and poor scouting at its finest. WOW those were some utterly wasted draft picks.

So Colbert is back. I’m fine with it. Bracing myself for another long snapper and plenty short trips over to the MAC (Welcome to Pittsburgh Adam Trautman) but fine with it. Tomlin not so much. Whatcha think of that halftime show, Mike?

Any thoughts on the succession plan? Who’s next in line? Colbert’s son? Dan Rooney’s boy taking over for Art? Matt Canada taking over for Tomlin?

Just a bit premature to say Mason Rudolph is a horrific miss, don't you think?
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm

jeemie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:22 pm
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Do they always only extend him by one year?

Or is he thinking "I'm coming back only one year because I want to see how Ben is...if he's good I'll commit...if not, see ya?"

Or is ownership thinking that?
Can’t get inside his head, but it’s been speculated that he’s kicking around the idea of retiring soon.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Obviously wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:23 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:06 pm

No.
I don't.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:52 pm

Obviously wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:23 pm
Not based on what he put on tape last year. 2nd year in the league, but he literally played about as well as an undrafted rookie [on the same team].
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 pm

The Steelers have not earned a top 10 pick since Burress. 20 years and counting. The FO is doing something right to keep the peaks long and the valleys shallow.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic