PFF free agency primer

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steeldrama

PFF free agency primer

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:22 am

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Projected cap space: $1.4 million

Players to target: TE Hunter Henry

Soon-to-be unrestricted free agents: DI Javon Hargrave, EDGE Bud Dupree, CB Artie Burns, S Sean Davis, TE Nick Vannett

Potential cuts: LB Mark Barron (saves $5.2 million in 2020), EDGE Anthony Chickillo (saves $5 million in 2020)

The biggest thing Pittsburgh must not do this free agency is pay edge defender Bud Dupree. Don’t get us wrong — he made several impact plays in 2019 with 13 sacks and four forced fumbles. But he also generated pressure at a very concerning rate. Sacks are instable year-to-year while pressure rate is the opposite. Among 102 edge defenders to rush the passer at least 200 times in 2019, Dupree was 65th in pressure rate. That’s not someone you want to pay $14 million a year for when you are already in a bad spot with your cap space. If the Steelers can maneuver it, bringing in tight end Hunter Henry for a sub-$10 million contract is absolutely the best route to go. Henry has had some bad injuries the past couple of seasons, but when he was healthy in 2016-17, he was behind only Rob Gronkowski and Travis Kelce in two-year receiving grade. It’s hard telling how good Big Ben’s arm will be coming back from his elbow surgery, so he’ll need all the weapons he can get.
Full article

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-free- ... s-32-teams

I won’t jump off a bridge if Bud Dupree walks but I will be none too pleased if they targeted Hunter Henry over Austin Hooper.

I’m fine with signing Bud so long as his deal doesn’t interfere with locking up TJ Watt and Minkah when their time comes

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:00 am

Hunter Henry and Vance McDonald on the same team?

They might play in the same game together for 2 games if you're lucky.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 am

The lone stat cited ignores some of the things Dupree does very well; dropping back in coverage and setting the edge in the run game, that make him very valuable in the Steelers' scheme. It's a nice stat, but pretty cherry-picked.

Obviously, you don't want to set dominoes in motion that would cause the loss of Watt or Fitz, but Dupree is an important piece on this defensive core.

I would be wary of signing an oft-injured receiving TE from the Chargers. Bad memories.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Ice wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 am
The lone stat cited ignores some of the things Dupree does very well; dropping back in coverage and setting the edge in the run game, that make him very valuable in the Steelers' scheme. It's a nice stat, but pretty cherry-picked.

Obviously, you don't want to set dominoes in motion that would cause the loss of Watt or Fitz, but Dupree is an important piece on this defensive core.

I would be wary of signing an oft-injured receiving TE from the Chargers. Bad memories.
Also, he's way up there in QB hits and sacks... it's only PFF-specific "pressures" that he's low in. That's a very subjective stat, at best.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm

If they can get a few media talking heads to start using their silly stat, though, it'll be validated just like a couple of the other stinkers out there.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:00 pm

I'm a little worried that Bud has had 1 good year, and that was a contract year. Who takes the spot if he departs? Who's the next man up, if you will?

The defense will be great with our without him. The offense needs a two-way TE to be successful imo.

Not sure Henry is the guy, but i don't think they can rely on what they have + a draft pick.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 am

lifelongsteel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:00 pm
I'm a little worried that Bud has had 1 good year, and that was a contract year. Who takes the spot if he departs? Who's the next man up, if you will?

The defense will be great with our without him. The offense needs a two-way TE to be successful imo.

Not sure Henry is the guy, but i don't think they can rely on what they have + a draft pick.
Bud's been damn good for two years now, and he even finished strong the year before that.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:58 am

Dupree was a lump of clay (or lump of shit) when we drafted him. He has literally gotten better every single year he has been in the league. He has really come into his own and I don't think he has peaked yet. Hopefully we keep him.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Dupree's career numbers are comparable to Jadeveon Clowney....and that's despite playing one fewer season.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:19 pm

I like 2020 Bud, so I hope we keep him. I also hope the rest of the league places a lesser market value on him allowing us to save a few million on his contract. But, then again, we do what we do and will probably end up outbidding ourselves.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Nobody wants to root for the Italian kid more than me but Chickillo is just bad. Not sure what they see in practice that made them give him that deal but they can't afford to waste another $5 mill in cap space on him. Hope they keep McDonald and Vannett. Ben could do something with those guys. Not sure why the OC and our young QBs couldn't figure out how to use them.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Removing dupree from this defense will have a massive negative impact. Letting him walk would be a mistake. I'd try to keep the defensive starters together, and replace backups instead. It's a problem, but I don't follow the caps and numbers that closely.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm
Removing dupree from this defense will have a massive negative impact. Letting him walk would be a mistake. I'd try to keep the defensive starters together, and replace backups instead. It's a problem, but I don't follow the caps and numbers that closely.
Agreed. I also note that almost every game, TJ and Bud seem to feed off each other's sacks/pressures/good plays. Good chemistry and a seeming absence of jealousy etc. Very good sign for continued production if they have a competition going on.
We'd have to find another Dupree if we lost him, and I'm not sure it's that easy. I'm sold on the idea that he's a player who is only getting better.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 am

I hope they tag Bud and let him prove it for all that franchise money. But also can't see them keep chick at that price.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 am

The Cleveland Browns have terminated the contracts of CB T.J. Carrie, TE Demetrius Harris, G Eric Kush and LB Adarius Taylor. https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/ ... ius-harris
Anyone in this group worthy of a look see?

If [IF] the Steelers had some cap room these players intrigue me for FA's....
HUNTER HENRY
CHRIS JONES
CORY LITTLETON
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 am

Demetrius Harris I thought looked pretty good.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 am

with the issues with our TE it really could not hurt to kick the Tires.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:02 am

Harris is a perfect #2 TE, and I've been advocating him for the Steelers since he was in the draft.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic