Marleau a Penguin

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Orangesteel

Marleau a Penguin

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 pm

For a conditional 3rd rounder. 40 years old but still can score and skate. I actually dig this move. Some additional vet presence so that doesn’t all fall on Crosby.

Between he and Thornton, this is the better trade.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:30 pm

season rental? I heard them say he will go back to SJ next season?
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:21 pm

I saw mentioned that SJ would be "happy to have either Thornton or Marleau back" for next season, presumably to retire with the organization after chasing the prize.

Would probably be tampering to already have that deal in place, though.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:25 pm

I'm hoping like HELL that it turns out to be a second rounder we have to give up for him.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:36 pm

I think I have to stop watching the pens play. So far, every game I've seen they've lost. Badly. They've taken a turn for the worse ever since I've started to actively looking to watch a game. Same happened when they got bounced in the first round of the PO when flower was goalie, right before the back to back cup wins.

:shock:
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:07 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:25 pm
I'm hoping like HELL that it turns out to be a second rounder we have to give up for him.
Hear, hear.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Kahun out, Connor Share-y and Evan Rodriques (sp?) coming back. I'm not sure how to feel about this one. I thought Kahun had played well here, I've honestly never seen Share-y play well anywhere but with Sid on the Pens; and we already have Simon to be Sid's Kip Miller.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:01 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:30 pm
Kahun out, Connor Share-y and Evan Rodriques (sp?) coming back. I'm not sure how to feel about this one. I thought Kahun had played well here, I've honestly never seen Share-y play well anywhere but with Sid on the Pens; and we already have Simon to be Sid's Kip Miller.
I feel like every time we have struggled in years past against Buffalo it is because Sheary scored on us. I like Kahun but tbh he was gone for a large chunk of games and we didn’t miss too much of a beat. I think Sheary can make some noise back in the Burgh.

We are deep as fuck now. I don’t even know where to begin with some of the line combinations when Jugs is back. Marleau and Jugs on a 4th line could be deadly. Other teams picked up some pieces but when Marino and Dumo come back we will be formidable.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:05 pm

Also, I don’t know much about Rodrigues but it looks like he played with Sheary a bunch up in Buffalo.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:28 am

Having had some time to think about it, you're right. I think GMJR was tired of this being a 3 line team, with Sully refusing to give the all-WBS 4th more than a handful of minutes a night. I think these acquisitions give us actual NHL depth, and were likely necessary to get through till the playoffs. Talking about Sheary and Rodrigues here. One of them may be eating nachos if the injured players make their way back, but it's okay if it helps keep the big guns well-rested for the stretch.

Love getting Marleau.

Would it be too much to ask if Sheary could stop falling down quite so much this time around?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:49 am

Depth is better now and Marleau is that older guy who is still trying to get that Stanley Cup on his resume. Maybe this drives him in the post season to make a big difference. Good move.
It also reminds me of getting Guerin in 2009( I know Bill won a cup before coming to the Pens).

Don't forget that Sheary was in Sully's doghouse before the Pens traded him for cap room. I wonder how that dynamic works out.

I thought the Pens had long term plans for Kahun? He worked well with Malkin but staying healthy was an issue.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:08 am

Kahun would have been arbitration-eligible after the season, right?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:08 am
Kahun would have been arbitration-eligible after the season, right?
Not sure about this but he might be a RFA after this season.
I remember when they got him, the chatter was that he would be brought along to be a winger with either Sid or Malkin due to his high skill level.

The Pens added three players and gave up one. It is going to be interesting to see how this works out.

We lost Agozzino to waivers

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:27 pm

I only ask, because I've heard some speculation the money going forward could have been an issue, along with Rutherford getting essentially a 2 for 1 on NHL depth for the bottom line. If you add both together, it makes the swap reasonably palatable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic