Pens vs Sharks 2-29-20

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
fractalsteel

Pens vs Sharks 2-29-20

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:16 pm

Come on Pens!

I see where Stamkos is out 6-8 weeks. Injuries catching up there.

Penguins projected lineup
Jason Zucker -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Bryan Rust -- Evgeni Malkin -- Patric Hornqvist

Patrick Marleau -- Jared McCann -- Dominik Simon

Brandon Tanev -- Teddy Blueger -- Evan Rodrigues

Jack Johnson -- Kris Letang

Marcus Pettersson -- Justin Schultz

Zach Trotman -- Chad Ruhwedel

Tristan Jarry

Matt Murray

Scratched: Sam Lafferty, Juuso Riikola

Injured: Nick Bjugstad (core muscle), Brian Dumoulin (lacerated ankle tendons), Jake Guentzel (shoulder), John Marino (fractured cheekbone), Zach Aston-Reese (lower body)

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:14 am

Wonderful defense Pens. Wonderful.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:41 am

This team is maddening to watch right now. Holy smokes.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:02 am

Sweet, now Jarry wants in on this fucking shitshow.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:38 am

Ok, I’ve watched every minute since Sheary has been back, and can someone remind me, has he always been this weak on his skates? Why is the dude, on every single shift, flopping around on the ice? I don’t remember him being like that when he was here before. What the hell am I watching?

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:40 am

Nice. 4-0 for the Sharks.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:41 am

And Justin Shultz my god what the fuck happened to this guy? He’s terrible!

JJT07

Post by JJT07 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:45 am

This is mind boggling. Ever since the Toronto game they have been garbage.

Losing 6 games in a row is never good, but this time of year it is particulalry bad. These boys are going to be in a wildcard spot soon.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:49 am

We’ve given up 23 goals in the last 6 games. Only two of those teams were any good.

EDIT: 24 goals in 6 games.
Last edited by Orangesteel on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:59 am

Sweet let’s have Jack fuckface Johnson put one in for the 48 year old Joe Thornton. Great work Johnson.

JJT07

Post by JJT07 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:01 am

This is pretty bad. Not sure what it is going to take to turn this around. But if it doesn't haooen soon they are fucked.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:03 am

Well that concludes Orangesteel’s West Coast trip commentary. Been fun y’all; I think I’m the only one that watched this misery live (maybe JJT; shout out to him). Hope you asshats have enjoyed it.

It’s been brutal, but not as bad as one dude on Reddit had it. He apparently spent hundreds of dollars on tickets and airfare to watch the Kings-Ducks-Sharks games live; flying up and down California to watch the Pens get their fucking dicks kicked in.

Lesson learned kids; buy a six pack and watch this shit from your couch. Lessens the sting.

LGP.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:02 pm

<raises hand>
I watched all of this shitshow except periods one and two of Anaheim, which is listened to on the radio.

Ye gods!

I can’t put my finger on exactly what’s changed, but they have no mojo. They were rocking it for weeks there, and now look listless. Tired from the effort needed to win all those games while short-handed? Reversion to the mean? Not enough home games? Goalies cooled off? Defensemen suffering from too much ice time/being paired with Jack Johnson/being Jack Johnson? This is as ugly as I can remember in a while.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:06 pm

*raises hand as well

I watched a period and a half. Stopped after it was 0-3

WTF happened with this team?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Nice boys!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Every team is tired,every team is injured.
The Pens haven't been good 5 on 5 for a long while. What got them through that was excellent goal tending, a great PK and a good enough PP. Now the goal tending is average, and the PP is a joke.

I only saw about half the games this week but I'm glad I missed the other half because what I saw was a team going through the motions. I sure as shit hope they can pop the switch and start winning again.

Longest losing streak in almost 9 years.

This team for the past two weeks reminds me of the 2009 team that played to get Therrien fired. I'm not saying that is the case right now and that Sullivan deserves to be fired. Then again, they won the cup that year.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:26 pm

I'm not going to claim to know what the hell is going on, and I don't anyone else really does either.

But we definitely gotta turn this shit around.

We may need to shift the gameday thread duties. I'd normally volunteer, but I'm busy as hell right now and am bound to drop the ball.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 pm

No one is pretending to know what goes on with the team behind closed doors or what might be driving the lousy play recently. We are just commenting on what we see from the team on the ice with our own, not necessarily qualified eyes.
I'n expert but I watch all the games and what I see is a team that struggles a great deal of the time 5 on 5. Sure, there are stretches where they chime and the play is good but too often they go periods, consecutive ones where they are out played.
The goal tending and special teams have save their asses a good bit of the time this year.

I'm not sure what the problem is recently but the loss of Guentzel was huge. He had been the Pens most consistent player until his injury. He thrived with Crosby early on. When Sid went down he carried on when Malkin returned.
No one has really filled that void.

The pieces are there, not sure the mindset is though.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 pm
No one is pretending to know what goes on with the team behind closed doors or what might be driving the lousy play recently. We are just commenting on what we see from the team on the ice with our own, not necessarily qualified eyes.
I'n expert but I watch all the games and what I see is a team that struggles a great deal of the time 5 on 5. Sure, there are stretches where they chime and the play is good but too often they go periods, consecutive ones where they are out played.
The goal tending and special teams have save their asses a good bit of the time this year.

I'm not sure what the problem is recently but the loss of Guentzel was huge. He had been the Pens most consistent player until his injury. He thrived with Crosby early on. When Sid went down he carried on when Malkin returned.
No one has really filled that void.

The pieces are there, not sure the mindset is though.

Oh, I wasn't criticizing you guys at all. My bad if it came across that way. God knows I've done my own speculation. It's just...baffling.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Could very well be just a rough stretch. We’ve seen some amazing things from this team this year, and now we’ve seen some very bad play. All teams, even the really good ones, have struggled from time to time this season.

Let’s see how they look this evening against another poor team. I’d just like to state my support for Sullivan. I think he’s a great coach and has what it takes to turn them around.

Fractal - you want me to start game thread duties to mix it up?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Fractal - you want me to start game thread duties to mix it up?
Go ahead and take up the duties for the time being.

Looks like we might get Marino and Dumo back tonight.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:20 pm

It seems like to me that in the games they've lost (bad in) lately, they don't play with an urgency, as a whole team. The games they have looked their best is when every last man is giving it his all, all game. Just not as much dog in them (as a pack) when they lose bad. It's like they feed off of each other when they're playing really well/hard and good things happen.

Just my 2 cents...

It would be nice to get Marino and Dumo back tonight and lower JJ's line/minutes.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 pm

DP39 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:20 pm
It seems like to me that in the games they've lost (bad in) lately, they don't play with an urgency, as a whole team. The games they have looked their best is when every last man is giving it his all, all game. Just not as much dog in them (as a pack) when they lose bad. It's like they feed off of each other when they're playing really well/hard and good things happen.

Just my 2 cents...

It would be nice to get Marino and Dumo back tonight and lower JJ's line/minutes.
I think that is part of the problem. it's not only that some guys just have disappeared(McCann, Bluegar, Schultz).

If they get waxed by the Senators I'm going to be worried.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic