Smart pucks in the playoffs

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Ice

Smart pucks in the playoffs

Post by Ice » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:46 pm

Paging Mr. B2B. Should be interesting to see how this works out.

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:33 am

Debuting these things in the playoffs sounds like a tremendously awful idea.

And I'm already dreading whatever NBC Sports is going to do with the additional data that'll come from it. I can already see them littering the screen with a million pointless graphics and having them analyzed by a professional cricket player for the entire 2nd period.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:03 am

Lets see...pucks are kept frozen during the game. Often the puck is struck with such force it travels 100mph. What could go wrong? I wonder how much thought, research and actual use this has gotten?

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 pm

If they haven't done in game testing with the pucks before to work out the kinks......, it's a buttman world and we're living in it.
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:32 pm

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 pm
If they haven't done in game testing with the pucks before to work out the kinks......, it's a buttman world and we're living in it.
They have, actually. They claim to have used the pucks in something like 9 regular season games without telling anyone to see if anyone would notice. And those games apparently went off without a hitch.

They've also supposedly done a ton of durability tests to ensure they could handle hitting off the crossbar at high speeds, etc, etc.

I'm not actually worried about the durability of the pucks.

However, there's also a quote from Crosby in the article saying he's tested them and does notice they feel a little different. The edges of the puck have a different feel and the weight is slightly off.

The overall point of this is...why in the hell would you decide to start using them full time specifically for the playoffs?!? You could have waited until next season and had the entire pre season and regular season to test them out and let the players do what they needed to do to get used to the differences, however trivial they may be.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:57 pm

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:49 am

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:32 pm
BethlehemSteel wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 pm
They have, actually. They claim to have used the pucks in something like 9 regular season games without telling anyone to see if anyone would notice. And those games apparently went off without a hitch.

They've also supposedly done a ton of durability tests to ensure they could handle hitting off the crossbar at high speeds, etc, etc.

I'm not actually worried about the durability of the pucks.

However, there's also a quote from Crosby in the article saying he's tested them and does notice they feel a little different. The edges of the puck have a different feel and the weight is slightly off.

The overall point of this is...why in the hell would you decide to start using them full time specifically for the playoffs?!? You could have waited until next season and had the entire pre season and regular season to test them out and let the players do what they needed to do to get used to the differences, however trivial they may be.
Good points. Thanks. So I’m kinda right. Buttman says .......nhl does no matter what. Agree. Do it in preseason
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic