Pens v. Sabers (3/5)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Orangesteel

Pens v. Sabers (3/5)

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:58 pm

Let’s keep it going. Another team we should beat but didn’t last time. Excited to see more of Dumo and Marino and less Johnson.

Hopefully Tanev is back after the illness. I’m off tomorrow so will enjoy a nice IPA with this one.

LGP.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 pm

Tanev and Bjugstad are both game time decisions.
From what I have seen Hutton will not be in net for the Sabres-good if it happens.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:04 pm

If Dumo and Marino are this teams' saviors then I don't have any confidence going forward.

Take them out and what?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:41 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:04 pm
If Dumo and Marino are this teams' saviors then I don't have any confidence going forward.

Take them out and what?
You are stuck playing JJ 20+ minutes a game and the more time on the ice the more he gets exposed. It also means he is teamed with Letang and Kris needs a steady guy like Dumo next to him so he can freelance(pinch, carry the puck deep into the OZ) which is a strong suit to his game.
Both can kill penalties very well. You can count on them on the PP as well.
Marino is a capable offensive D man as well.
When those two are out you are stuck with guys(Ruhwedel,Riikola) who can help in a pinch but you don't want to count on them long term.

I wouldn't call them saviors but they are valuable assets and they give the Pens back end a huge lift.

The Metro is tight and up for grabs. The Pens chances of winning it are decidedly much better with those two in the lineup.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 am

Good call Jugs was tripped but now a challenge.

Jugs grabbing his side.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:21 am

Jugs making his presence known!

1-0 good guys.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:22 am

CORE-TEN wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:04 pm

Take them out and what?
These are two very good defensemen. You can win Stanley Cups with quality defensemen. Remember when we did that a few seasons ago?

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:23 am

Haha. That was terrible Pens.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:26 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:23 am
Haha. That was terrible Rust.
Fixed it for you

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:29 am

Boom great play by Geno Rusty and Pettersen

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:48 am

Pens handled the neutral zone trap better but two mistakes(Rust on the shortie) (Malkin late) that led to the Sabres PP. Hopefully they can kill the last half minute.
Last game they didn't challenge Eichel on the PP, but so far tonight they have a body in front of him.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:13 am

Murray has been crazy good this period.

Pens are all out of sorts.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:26 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:13 am
Murray has been crazy good this period.

Pens are all out of sorts.
Murray saved this game.

Horny makes it 3-1

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:37 am

Defensively we are a mess.

But I like 3-1. I like it a lot.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:59 am

How does Murray make all of those saves then give up that second one to Johansson?

Matt Murray is one puzzling goaltender.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:04 am

Backhand assassin!

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:05 am

Core-ten asked why we were excited about Dumo coming back.

Watch Dumo break up a sure goal then Crosby take the 2 on 1 down and score.

Without defense you aren’t shit in this league.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:11 am

I am trying to rally around a player in league history who has been better on the backhand than Crosby. Nope,he is the consant.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:33 am

Good win. We still look a bit sloppy but we have struggled against the Sabers so I’ll take it.

Big game Saturday.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:35 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/jmarshfof/st ... 93536?s=19

If Sully is for real about winning a cup this year, he needs to have the balls to sit Johnson. Riikola is a better defenseman at this point, and Riikola is actually fairly average. That’s how poor Johnson has been the last month.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Hopefully, some of that was the injuries to Dumo and Marino pushing Johnson up the lineup into a level where he doesn't belong, and we'll see more "sheltered" minutes and less ice time in general going forward.

At least, that's the hope of a completely unrepentant optimist.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:49 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:35 am
https://mobile.twitter.com/jmarshfof/st ... 93536?s=19

If Sully is for real about winning a cup this year, he needs to have the balls to sit Johnson. Riikola is a better defenseman at this point, and Riikola is actually fairly average. That’s how poor Johnson has been the last month.
Riikola is better but Sully has to have his doghouse and Riikola is the current tenant.

The more I watch Eichel the more impressed I am. Put another franchise player with him and he will soar.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:08 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:49 pm
The more I watch Eichel the more impressed I am. Put another franchise player with him and he will soar.
Unfortunately, he will be stuck with Jeff Skinner for a loooooooooong time.

Who would've thought that giving $9 million/year to a guy who's never topped 63 points and is a career -116 would backfire?

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:05 am
Core-ten asked why we were excited about Dumo coming back.

Watch Dumo break up a sure goal then Crosby take the 2 on 1 down and score.

Without defense you aren’t shit in this league.
I think you misunderstood. I was suggesting that without those two, the team went into a downward spiral after goal tending and PK started to show thier warts. They can't rely too much on two guys, but then again, take away sid and malkin and you've got zilch for a playoff team. /shrug
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:00 pm

The Pens top three D men, Letang, Dumo, Marino, after that there is a drop off. Lose any of those two for a significant time and you struggle on the back end. Almost any team would in that scenario.

The Pens made the playoffs one year(2011) where Crosby and Malkin missed significant time at the same time. They went into the playoffs without either of them and blew a 3-1 series lead to the Lightning.

Henri Richard passed away. What a player. His name is on the Stanley Cup 11 times

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:22 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:00 pm
The Pens top three D men, Letang, Dumo, Marino, after that there is a drop off. Lose any of those two for a significant time and you struggle on the back end. Almost any team would in that scenario.

The Pens made the playoffs one year(2011) where Crosby and Malkin missed significant time at the same time. They went into the playoffs without either of them and blew a 3-1 series lead to the Lightning.

Henri Richard passed away. What a player. His name is on the Stanley Cup 11 times
So that drop off is common among NHL teams? In football, you can lose two starters and it's not the end of the world (unless it's a QB or the main source of offense). I saw this team drop off a cliff in what, six straight losses? And is wasn't just defense

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 pm

Depends on the NHL team.
A few years back Nashville's strength was their D corp. They were solid top to bottom. You could move a guy up from a third pairing and get solid results. The Pens are not built that way.
They have three very good D men and Pettersen who is young, developing and will be a fine second pairing D men.
After that they have bodies and guys who are nothing more than a bottom pair D men.

They lost Dumo and he is probably their most consistent defender on the back end. They survived then Marino went down and suddenly they were scrambling and JJ was getting big minutes and the lousy team play coincided.

Now in football losing two starters doesn't always hurt but if it hits a particular position is can be troubling. Imagine if Nelson and Haden go down with injuries at the same time for 3-4 weeks. That would be a big deal to the defense. Or Watt and Dupree at the same time.
Lost Pouncey and Decastro at the same time?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:01 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:22 pm
So that drop off is common among NHL teams? In football, you can lose two starters and it's not the end of the world (unless it's a QB or the main source of offense). I saw this team drop off a cliff in what, six straight losses? And is wasn't just defense
The Pens didn't drop off a cliff. In 4 of those games (Buffalo, Washington, LA, Anaheim) the Pens significantly out-shot their opponent. The LA game in particular was frustrating because the Pens hit 3 or 4 posts.

And "losing two starters" needs proper context. Yes, Dumo and Marino were out, but ZAR, Dominik Kahun, and Nick Bjugstad were also injured. And that's without mentioning Jake Guentzel. That's a legit top pair on defense, the equivalent of a solid 3rd line, and an elite scorer.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:34 pm

I stand corrected.

So can someone explain the six straight losses?

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:50 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 pm
Depends on the NHL team.
A few years back Nashville's strength was their D corp. They were solid top to bottom. You could move a guy up from a third pairing and get solid results. The Pens are not built that way.
They have three very good D men and Pettersen who is young, developing and will be a fine second pairing D men.
After that they have bodies and guys who are nothing more than a bottom pair D men.

They lost Dumo and he is probably their most consistent defender on the back end. They survived then Marino went down and suddenly they were scrambling and JJ was getting big minutes and the lousy team play coincided.

Now in football losing two starters doesn't always hurt but if it hits a particular position is can be troubling. Imagine if Nelson and Haden go down with injuries at the same time for 3-4 weeks. That would be a big deal to the defense. Or Watt and Dupree at the same time.
Lost Pouncey and Decastro at the same time?
Although I can't disagree with most of your post, losing both dupree and watt, or nelson and haden for four weeks would be devastating because there are only 16 games in a season. Hockey is 80+. And if we compensate and say they would be out for a half or even one game, I still don't think it would be the end of the world.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic