NFL Offseason Primer

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

NFL Offseason Primer

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 am

This could be the most interesting offseason of the free agency era in the NFL.

The most important position in all of professional sport is about to play a serious game of musical chairs.

It all starts with quarterback Tom Brady.

If your leisure time is spent catching up on the news of the NFL, you know as well as I that Tom Terrific could be embarking on a Reggie White-like free agent tour.

My question. Is Brady the first domino and the rest of the qbs fall in line after he chooses a suitor, or do teams quickly fill their vacancies leaving Tom with little choice but to finish his career a Patriot?

Taking it by division, here are some teams that could be looking at a change at the qb position.

AFC East:

Dolphins: Bigger balls than me if you draft Tua in top 5. And I’m a huge ‘Bama fan.

AFC North:

Bengals: Will Joe Burrow pull an Elway?

Steelers: How FUCKED are our Steelers if Ben doesn’t make a full recovery from elbow surgery?

AFC South:

Colts- Major Players. HUGE cap space like 90 mil? Brady in play here. They could trade for a high salaried veteran QB. OR they could trade up in the draft for a qb then Use that cap money to fill out the other needs on the roster with high priced veteran free agents.

Titans- Vrabel connection says Brady in play, but Phil Rivers hometown is short drive down to Alabama. My guess. Tannehill takes team discount.

Jaguars- Nick Foles just a bad signing. Menshew a character but is he legit? Cam Newton in play here.

AFC West:

Chargers: Brady could dig celebrity life out in his home state but the Chargers??? I guess he’d help sell some tickets but honestly the Bolts are an afterthought in LA. Huge error moving up there.

Raiders: I read Derek Carr bought a house next door to Gruden in Vegas. Be a pretty damn shitty move to trade or cut him now, but I wouldn’t put anything past Chucky.

NFC East:

Redskins: Would Riverboat Ron bring in his boy Cam Newton?

Cowboys: I sure as HELL wouldn’t pay Dak Prescott 40 mil.

NFC North:

Lions: Matt Stafford rumors said to be just that due to cap implication, but Lions do pick 3rd. Could grab their qb at that spot and accumulate much needed assets if they can find a taker for Fat Matt.

Bears: One of my Cleveland buddies has a nephew that is best friend’s with Mitchell Trubisky. That’s it. That’s all I got.

NFC South:

Saints: I think Brees is done. I don’t think Taysom Hill is his legit successor.

Panthers: Tank for Trevor

Bucs: This week Jameis got Lasik. Jameis wore prescription goggles in practice. Why in the fuck did he not wear them in games??? Shit-off stupid this kid is.

NFC West:

Rams: Speaking of Shit-off stupid. I cringed when the Rams STUPIDLY signed Jared Goff to a long term deal last offseason. SO Dumb. They're screwed.

49ers- John Lynch did ask about Tom Brady before settling on Super Bowl goat Jimmy Garraopolo.

Free agent chatter:

Talking free agency is an exercise in futility since the Steelers rank near the bottom of the league in cap space with what 1.4 mil? I know the official amount varies but seriously? That’s like spare change under the couch in salary cap world. Oh well at least the Steelers make the effort to pay their own. And more often than not find a way. Going to have to get creative just to retain Bud Dupree and sign their draft picks. Anything else is gravy and highly dependent upon cuts, extensions, and restructures that are yet to play out.

Still, Despite the Steelers presumed lack of participation, I love the NFL offseason. I used to REALLY love hot stove season in baseball too but alas I’m a Pirates fan.

This offseason isn’t just about the merry go round quarterbacks. There are some stud defenders that could end up helping the right team make a Super Bowl push.

Chiefs Chris Jones isn’t an edge rusher but he’s a holy shit disruptor the Super Bowl Champs can ill afford to lose. If he gets loose. That could be a record breaking signing.

Turning to our Steelers. Javon Hargrave signed with Drew Rosenhaus. He’s gone. His departure creates the biggest hole to be filled on the team.

So what will they do? What can they do?

I’ve pigeon holed them into a few draft picks namely Leki Folu and Davon Hamilton. I’ve also mocked round 2 types Ross Blacklock, Neville Gallimore, and Justin Madibuke. I’ve seen Raekwon Davis play in person many times. First off the bus type that could do well reunited with his former coach Karl Dunbar, but he’s not a NT.

This is actually a pretty good free agent class of DTs but again that whole no cap space thing makes another Steve Nelson like splash signing nearly impossible.
Names I like: Bama’s Jarran Reed, DJ Reader, Michael Brockers, steal Michael Pierce from the Rats. Hell Ndamukong Suh can still play. What would the Pats Danny Shelton cost? Andrew Billings? You want really cheap? I’ll give you mine. Vernon Butler. Former 1st round bust of the Panthers. 6’4 335. Big ‘sum bitch could offer depth in the middle.

Anyway, Pass rushers get paid.

Again, watch out for the Colts. That Ballard guy knows what he’s doing over there and has ample defensive studs he could add with all that cap space:
The Dolphins, Bills, Bucs all have absurd cash to spend.
Jadaveon Clowney, Shaq Barrett, Yannick Ngakoue, Matt Judon, Robert Quinn, and yes Bud Dupree

I can’t see the Steelers letting Bud get away. Solid player they showed a lot of patience with. My only contention is a Bud Dupree contract can’t impede future signing of cornerstone players TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Skill Positions?

I’m a Belichick admirer, but he hasn’t always kept Brady well stocked with weapons. Bad year for that up in Foxboro lowlighted by the AB fiasco. Trade deadline acquisition Mo Sanu for a 2nd round pick from my transplant hometown Falcons just reeked of desperation. Awful trade. I think he really pissed Brady off and maybe for the last time.

All that said, I don’t want to see Brady re-signed and handed Cooper and Hooper (Amari and Austin).

Yep. I’m an AJ Green fan. Saw him play in person over in Athens many times, but the team that signs him to a big pay day will regret it. Can’t stay healthy. The Jets Robbie Anderson could be the best value of the entire group if he goes to a contending team. The Chiefs Demarcus Robinson I think is an underrated player as well.

In addition to my UGA allegiance, I’ve spent the past four seasons over in Tuscaloosa. A couple Tide backs highlight the free agent group. Kenyan Drake an underrated all purpose back. Derek Henry is just a freaking monster. I can’t see the Titans letting him get away, but have teams learned nothing? Leveon Bell, Todd Gurley, David Johnson, Devonta Freeman etc. It just isn’t good business to give these stud rbs long term, big money deals.

Oh and Gil Brandt offered up Melvin Gordon to the Steelers.... presumably after his afternoon nap.

So what will the Steelers do here? What can they do?

I’d love Robbie Anderson. I’d love Derek Henry. That's not our reality. The reality is I don’t think the Steelers will do anything. Definitely not in free agency and MAYBE not even the draft.

I can’t stand the Steelers' running back group but Colbert seems to have an inflated opinion of James Conner so I don’t foresee and significant additions via the draft either. Perhaps I’ll get lucky and they’ll spend a day 3 pick on Eno Benjamin or my new guy Javon Leake out of Maryland. Man, I love watching Clyde Helaire Edwards leave broken ankles all over the football field.

If you’re even casually reading this, then you’re a big enough football fan to know that this is an epic draft for wide receivers. I want one. I really want two, but lack of draft capital coupled with my fear the Steelers like their three young receivers Juju, DJ, and James Washington. Blah. Grow a pair and tap into this historically deep class with one of those day 2 picks. Jalen Reagor high on my list due to that blazing deep speed. Just really just too many exciting wr prospects to name…many of whom I already like better than any WR on the Steelers roster right now.

Tight end? Let’s go! Damn. I wish the Steelers could sign one. Hell if I’m wishing, I wish the Steelers would’ve drafted George Kittle. Austin Hooper my guy here. Total Cali surfer dude, “Bruh” very point break-ish dude who wants to be highest paid TE in the league. Hunter Henry. Production when healthy. Eric Ebron is a reputed punk. I’m a Greg Olson fan, but probably too old.

Colbert hinted at bringing back Vance McDonald. That’d be so boring and just awful. But I get it. Hope he returns to form with Ben blah blah blah. Nick Vannett was a waste of a 5th round pick even if they do re-sign him. But again ...the Ben factor.

Colbert has impressed me the past couple seasons with his aggressive trades. I’d like to see him pull one more rabbit out of the hat. David Njoku reportedly on the trade block. How about dealing with the Raiders for a third straight offseason? Darren Waller might be available with Foster Moreau having a solid rookie year. I put in a call to Bruce Arians down in Tampa. See if we can get OJ Howard out his doghouse. Highly touted ‘Bama player benefits from fresh start. Sound familiar?

The Steelers haven’t used a day 2 pick on a TE since Matt Spaeth so on the surface drafting a TE seems logical and long overdue. However, this class of tight ends is underwhelming. Some parts and pieces but few have the total package. My fear is the Steelers reach to fill a need. I like the usual names Adam Trautman, Cole Kmet, Thad Moss, and Brycen Hopkins. Harrison Bryant called “Kittle 2.0” so he’s in play. Cody Parkinson my day 3 guy at 6’7 251. Few others y’all might like but it’s not a great group.

Did I mention the Steelers are in salary cap hell? Well. They are. Who’s getting the boot? Anthony Chickillo better be first man jettisoned from the roster. I’d cut BOTH Mark Barron and Vince Williams but my guess Barron goes. Ramon Foster an easy cut for me but perhaps he stays when Finney finds Chris Hubbard money.

Brings me to the offensive line: Some older fellas there namely Villy and Pouncey. I hope to hell Pouncey was battling through some kind of nagging injury because he sucked.

Nope. I do not feel great about this unit especially with Mike Munchak gone. A lot of talk about Matt Feiler moving to LG with Chuks or Banner taking over RT. Get best five on the field theory here. Matters not to me. Add a stud in the draft see how the losses shake out in free agency.
Brandon Schreff, Anthony Castanzo, and Jack Conklin the big name free agents.

They can draft Cesar Ruiz or Lloyd!!! Cushenberry. Two centers that can start their career at guard. Very deep draft for the offensive line this year. The Steelers need to tap in early.

Linebacker depth will be depleted after Chickillo and Barron ousted. PLEASE don’t resign Dirty Red. I’d love to add the Rams Corey Middleton in free agency but again that whole salary cap thing. Ryan Shazier is a free agent. I’m sure he’ll be a fixture in the Steelers organization.

I say draft Malik Harrison from the Steelers’ “Farm Team” over in Columbus, Ohio. Not a good linebacker draft. I sure hope Akron’s UGIII is ready to play. Bama’s Anfernee Jennings a favorite of mine. Versatile kid that might be the hardest hitter in the draft.

Finally, I can’t say enough but how pleased I was with the improvement in the Steelers’ secondary. Their achilles heel no more. Colbert’s polarizing trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick and the fantastic free agent addition of Steve Nelson turned that unit into the strength of the defense. Leave it alone. Hope for good health.

Finally part 2: The 2020 season will hinge on Ben just like any other since his arrival. The health of his surgically repaired elbow obviously THE key to the offseason. I’m still annoyed by the abysmal performance of his “Backups” and the offense as whole in his absence. At least Matt Canada was brought in to help Randy Fitchtner but honestly I wanted him fired. Art II already let it be known a veteran free agent qb would not be forthcoming.

Translation: All on you, Ben.

Let’s go get Lombardi #7.

Free agent list for your convenience:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/free- ... -tracker-0

Key Dates:
Feb. 24 - March 2: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.
Feb. 25: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
March 10: Prior to 4 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
March 16-18: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2019 player contracts at 4 p.m
April 23-25: 2020 NFL Draft, Las Vegas, Nevada

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. It’s the offseason. Feel free to post your thoughts.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:05 am

colbert talked about FA RB or WR as additions. But think they need to target TE.IOL,IDL, and Wr in this draft

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 pm

Nobody is talking about LT, but AV's on the last year of his deal and will be 32 in September.

I'm thoroughly unconvinced that there's even a solid backup on the team, let alone the LT of the future. Steelers usually draft guys who are hedges against next year's expiring contracts of 30+ year old players. that puts LT, IOL, & DL squarely in play. TE, NT, & S depth are immediate needs. Speed at RB & WR + backup QB needs are huge, but I'm not sure there are enough picks to go around. And they'll probably break all our TVs by drafting a CB.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:02 pm

The Panthers aren’t expected to pick up DT Dontari Poe‘s option.
Poe is owed $9.8 million coming off an injury-shortened 2019. He graded as one of PFF's top defensive tackles before going down in Week 12. The Panthers are moving on but there should be a market for Poe, who doesn't turn 30 until August. Poe missed just two games prior to last season.
Potential stop-gap at NT?
Obviously would have to be on the cheap

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:28 am

I know it’s all speculation this time of year, but Im perplexed as to why Dak wouldn’t sign a contract that would give him the largest contract in league history?
He’s not a JAG but he’s not top 10 either.
Dude should be begging for a pen.

Somewhere Pat Mahomes is smiling
but after he signs his mega deal the Chiefs can’t miss on a single draft pick for the next decade.

But at least Mahomes is worth the money

These ridiculous contracts given to mediocre qbs has me wondering if the Rams had the model.

Draft a capable rookie qb then make hay while you can aggressively adding talent at other positions while benefiting from cap space created by not overpaying a mediocre qb which they like every other team ultimately fucked up and did.

Cowboys drafted Dak in what the 4th? I let him walk and replace him with another rookie. Hope to get lucky again with competent starter. Load up elsewhere.
Cowboys won nothing with Dak.
33 million per? That’s insane even for Jerry

No way Dak freakin Prescott should be burning that big of a hole in your cap. He’s not a stud qb. He’s joe replaceable.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:07 am

Agree, no way in hell I pay Dak anywhere close to that.
Dude has won nothing of significance.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:28 am

These ridiculous contracts given to mediocre qbs has me wondering if the Cowher had the model.

Draft a capable rookie qb then make hay while you can aggressively adding talent at other positions while benefiting from cap space created by not overpaying a mediocre qb which they like every other team ultimately fucked up and did.

FTFY

Cowher did what is the model today. Build a great TEAM and do not over pay for a QB. A franchise QB will fall into your lap.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:20 pm

jebrick wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am
Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:28 am

These ridiculous contracts given to mediocre qbs has me wondering if the Cowher had the model.

FTFY

Cowher did what is the model today. Build a great TEAM and do not over pay for a QB. A franchise QB will fall into your lap.
If there weren't strong rumors that Dan Rooney forced Cowher to draft said franchise qb then I'd be more inclined to agree.
As we all are painfully aware, Cowher out of arrogance or stubborness simply didn't place a high value on the qb position.
I do agree that those Cowher teams spread their money around to other positions which made for really solid teams that ultimately fell short of Super Bowls because of ironically enough subpar qb play.
Even an average NFL starter at the qb position pre-Ben Cowher could've had a different legacy.

Back to the Rams. Goff is so obviously a substandard qb, I think they should've either traded him or simply let him walk in FA.
The Seahawks weren't nearly as free agent aggressive as the Rams, but they HAD to re-sign Russell Wilson. That's different. He's a true franchise qb with a ring and should've had two.

Anyway, The Rams would've made for a good sociological experiment to see if a team has the guts to pass on these huge contracts yet still compete at a high level...as those Cowher teams did throughout his Steelers' tenure. The Cowboys could try it by passing on Dak who might be a wadshot better than Goff, but knowing Jerry he won't. He'll grossly overpay and pay dearly for it. Dak is no Aikman. He's not even a Romo but yet he'll briefly be the top paid player in the history of the league. I just can't wrap my head around that.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:20 pm

Anyway, The Rams would've made for a good sociological experiment to see if a team has the guts to pass on these huge contracts yet still compete at a high level...as those Cowher teams did throughout his Steelers' tenure. The Cowboys could try it by passing on Dak who might be a wadshot better than Goff, but knowing Jerry he won't. He'll grossly overpay and pay dearly for it. Dak is no Aikman. He's not even a Romo but yet he'll briefly be the top paid player in the history of the league. I just can't wrap my head around that.
I think the Pats come close to what you are saying. They pay a franchise QB but generally below market value. BB does what Cowher did with $C3 contracts which is let them walk and get the comp pick. For Cowher that changed once he had some players like Polamalu but it is still a good deal if a organization has the guts to do it. Most players(99%) are not worth the $$$ that are paid in the 3rd contract. They are on the downside of their prime and will only get worst. BB will also have the guts to wait until after the draft to sign FA so he gets full compensation from letting the players go.

Jerry is caught up in his own legend with this stuff. Dac is okay and should be played ok money but it is very hard to draft a QB so Jerry will overpay.

- Fred Sanford

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Ravens RG Marshal Yanda announced his retirement.
Baltimore's third-round pick in 2007, Yanda hangs up his cleats as one of only three guards in NFL history to earn at least eight Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl victory, joining Larry Allen and Alan Faneca among that exclusive list. Having played all 13 seasons with the Ravens, Yanda, 35, will also be remembered alongside Hall of Fame LT Jonathan Ogden as one of the most important offensive linemen in franchise history. Yanda's retirement creates $7 million in cap space as well as a glaring hole at right guard.
Big blow for the Ravens from a personnel standpoint, but that 7 mil in cap space will be helpful.

Bold prediction: Ravens draft Caesar Ruiz in round 1. Harbaugh brothers connection and all.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm
Ravens RG Marshal Yanda announced his retirement.
Baltimore's third-round pick in 2007, Yanda hangs up his cleats as one of only three guards in NFL history to earn at least eight Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl victory, joining Larry Allen and Alan Faneca among that exclusive list. Having played all 13 seasons with the Ravens, Yanda, 35, will also be remembered alongside Hall of Fame LT Jonathan Ogden as one of the most important offensive linemen in franchise history. Yanda's retirement creates $7 million in cap space as well as a glaring hole at right guard.
Big blow for the Ravens from a personnel standpoint, but that 7 mil in cap space will be helpful.

Bold prediction: Ravens draft Caesar Ruiz in round 1. Harbaugh brothers connection and all.
I would be fine with that big reach in the 1st

- Fred Sanford

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm bullish on the Colts this offseason.
I dig Chris Ballard. Dude was coming on strong as a GM until his Luck ran out.
They have an assload of cap space so look for them to plug all their holes before the draft.
Ballard being a former chiefs exec will no doubt go hard after Chris Jones.
Clowney probably also in play to sure up their pass rush.
Phil Rivers will be in play, but I think he's beyond washed up.

Vegas Raiders will trade up for Isaiah Simmons. Mayock sprung wood after his 40 at the combine. Mayock loves Clemson kids.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Ravens acquired DE Calais Campbell from the Jaguars for a 2020 fifth-round pick.
Campbell is in the final year of his deal and will try to finalize an extension with the Ravens. This comes out of nowhere, but trading Campbell clears $15 million in cap space Jacksonville can use toward signing franchised DE Yannick Ngakoue long term. Campbell's sack totals declined last year, but he still graded out as PFF's No. 3 edge defender among 185 qualifiers. He'll bookend Brandon Williams in Baltimore.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 15, 2020, 12:38 PM ET
GREAT trade for the Rats

Jags tanking for Trevor

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:33 pm

Tannehill signed.
I never cared for him but was no brainer move

Colts signed Costanzo to keep their stellar online in tact.
Tommy Brady has to dig that Colts oline
I’d sign Brady over Rivers
Both washed up

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:55 am

they might add a low tier NT in fa and maybe find a TE but i can see really a NT as being only FA addition.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Steelers placed the franchise tag on LB Bud Dupree.
Dupree set career highs with 68 tackles, 11.5 sacks, and 17 QB hits last year. The Steelers were expected to franchise him with no real progress being made in long-term talks. Dupree will make around $15.8 million if he plays under the tag, but he's a candidate to be extended before training camp.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 16, 2020, 9:51 AM ET
Broken record. Sign Bud long term only if it doesn't impede the future signings of TJ Watt and MinKah Fitzpatrick

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Browns placed a second-round tender on restricted free agent RB Kareem Hunt.
The second-round tender lands Hunt $2.914 million this upcoming year and ensures the Browns another Day 2 selection if the organization fails to match any potential offers. The 24-year-old sapped Nick Chubb's across-the-board usage upon joining the Browns post-suspension in Week 10, finishing as the overall RB17 over the last eight games behind a fruitful 5.5 targets per outing. The two are fully expected to continue working in a timeshare yet again this upcoming year.

SOURCE: Cleveland Browns on Twitter
Mar 16, 2020, 10:59 AM ET
Easy decision by Browns.
My guy Chubb and Kareem Hunt best rb duo in the NFL.
Would've loved to have scooped up Hunt to be the lead dog in the Steelers backfield

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Don't sleep on the Arizona Cardinals
Nice trade for Nuk Hopkins
Draft some OL in a deep draft.
Still lots of FAs to sign

Austin Hooper to the Browns a great signing...little pricey but they've got cap room
Odd spot though for a surfer dude like Hooper....hey bruh type of cat

Browns should sign Javon Hargrave. Bolster that front line.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Colts handing the 49ers a fairly early 1st round pick for a great player in Buckner but with all that cap money they may have been better served keeping that pick and going down a tier with a Javon Hargrave type free agent

Still an interesting trade for both sides
49ers lacked draft capital this year so this helps put them in play for a top tier WR.
Not sure I would’ve messed with that dynamic line of Bosa Buckner and armstead though

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Dudes a bit of a toolbox but every once in a while Peter Schrager comes up with an interesting connect the dots scenario

He floated out the Patriots trading up for Tua
Makes some sense with them having an assload of picks

Jarrett Stidhim I liked coming out of Auburn but Belichick could dig Tua especially with his boy Saban vouching for him

I dig. Would be a huge draft night story.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic