Pens v. Jackets (3/12) - CoronaVirus Edition

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Orangesteel

Pens v. Jackets (3/12) - CoronaVirus Edition

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:04 am

Let’s keep this thing rollin y’all. At least before the season is suspended because of COVID-19.

LGP.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 am

NHL has announced that they’ll be making an update tomorrow.

Have to assume that means the season is getting suspended. That can only be a good thing. That’ll give us a time to get our shit together.

I’ve seen it said this will allow Guentzal to get healthy for playoffs, but I have my doubts that’ll work like that. I suspect that any games that are cancelled will simply be lost and that the playoffs will start at their regular dates. Which might be the only bad part. As it’d mean we absolutely have to have our issues figured out when play resumes. But still, I’ll take that risk.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Well, if they play tonight it will be an empty arena.

I thought Guentzel coming back was a long shot. Best case I read was mid to late May.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:09 pm

NHL tweeted that teams are not to hold any team meetings or game day skates today.

I would bet that's the precursor to the announcement that games tonight will be cancelled and season postponed.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:46 pm

Jeez. This is wild.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Presser coming shortly (1 PM eastern).

Word is they'll be cancelling games.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:58 pm

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fritzthecat

Post by fritzthecat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Just heard the news
First place, season over, what about playoffs sometime, what about season ticket holders?

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 pm

This is going to have a serious impact on the financial situation of a lot of teams.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 pm
This is going to have a serious impact on the financial situation of a lot of teams.
This (virus) is going to have a serious impact on the financial situation of everything and everyone.

FTFY.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm

The NHL is committed to resuming and playing the rest of the season. Probably won't alter the playoffs and the talk is that the season could end now in July or even August.
That means a few teams are not really going to have much of an off season. Talk about injuries with that!

On top of that trying to make sure avenues are available is going to be insane.

I feel bad for all those making a living working sporting events, concerts, etc.

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:55 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm
The NHL is committed to resuming and playing the rest of the season. Probably won't alter the playoffs and the talk is that the season could end now in July or even August.
That means a few teams are not really going to have much of an off season. Talk about injuries with that!

On top of that trying to make sure avenues are available is going to be insane.

I feel bad for all those making a living working sporting events, concerts, etc.
I would hate to see teams play into July or August due to the heat. Ice will be total slush, so hockey play, I fear, will not be good! I think a halt to the season should include end of regular season games, then a shortened playoff schedule of best of 3 or 5 series to keep the games from going past mid-June. They could play the first two series at best of 3, then go to best of five for the remainder of the playoffs. JMO though.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:21 pm

I think it’s very naive to think that there is going to be any sports played anytime soon. This isn’t going away in a couple weeks, a month, or several months.
I seriously doubt there is going to be any more hockey or basketball this season. MLB is likely looking at a shortened season. It may or may not stretch into the NFL regular season, but it will certainly affect offseason activities and workouts.
We are in uncharted territory here, and no one knows for sure what’s ahead. However, one common opinion amongst the health experts seems to be that it is going to get worse before it gets better.
Take care.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:09 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:21 pm
I think it’s very naive to think that there is going to be any sports played anytime soon. This isn’t going away in a couple weeks, a month, or several months.
I seriously doubt there is going to be any more hockey or basketball this season. MLB is likely looking at a shortened season. It may or may not stretch into the NFL regular season, but it will certainly affect offseason activities and workouts.
We are in uncharted territory here, and no one knows for sure what’s ahead. However, one common opinion amongst the health experts seems to be that it is going to get worse before it gets better.
Take care.
I totally agree. Life has changed drastically, and like 9/11, it will have lasting effects.

Anybody with underlying conditions or the elderly (yikes, they said anyone over 50 :o ) need to be careful. Good luck to all.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 pm

The Penguins have announced they will be paying their arena and team staff for the duration of the break.

The Penguins players are chipping their own money in as well.

That gave me chills.

What a freaking fantastic franchise, top to bottom.

fritzthecat

Post by fritzthecat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Thats awesome Lipps. I bet they don't all do that. Wait maybe they'll have to.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:14 pm

This is the norm for the Penguins. They take care of their own.

Here is an article about teams who are and are not helping:
https://sports.yahoo.com/devils-ducks-a ... 27695.html

Pretty heartless the ones not helping.
Bobrovsky giving a 100K of his own to help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic