A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Pabst

Re: Steelers Sign Eric Ebron for 2 Years

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:17 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:38 pm
Steelersfan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 pm
A push signing for McDonald to shit or get off the pot. An upgrade to Vanett. Not a bad signing for a cash strapped team, in a poor TE class draft with very minimal picks. It's a move and a good one in that sense.

McDonald
Ebron
The Rugby Player- Christian Scotland-Williamson
Gentry

No waste of a reach or draft pick needed.
What exactly has Christian Scotland-Williamson done to merit a roster spot?
Is the international waiver still a thing?

There is (was?) a rule that each team has one roster spot available for an international player that was exempt from the normal roster limits.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:58 pm

I think Gentry will have a break out year ,but again what do I know last year I thought moncrief was going to have a great season.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:41 pm

Vonn Bell still unsigned

Former Buckeye would’ve been a nice addition to the safety position

I’m guessing the Ebron signing marks the end of the spending spree.

ESPN talking heads suggesting Jameis Winston sign with Steelers 🤮
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:41 pm
Vonn Bell still unsigned

If he wants to come for vet minimum, I'd be thrilled.

And I'll take Adrian Colbert for a backup safety FA, please.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:50 pm

I can’t say that I’m up to date on Ebron’s past. Can someone give details on these statements?
Clubhouse cancer
Didn't he pull a pussy move in Indy last season and the GM called him out for it publicly?
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:03 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:41 pm
Vonn Bell still unsigned

If he wants to come for vet minimum, I'd be thrilled.

And I'll take Adrian Colbert for a backup safety FA, please.
Yes for vet minimum I’d be fine with Jameis

Colbert already signed with Miami
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:50 pm
I can’t say that I’m up to date on Ebron’s past. Can someone give details on these statements?
Clubhouse cancer
Didn't he pull a pussy move in Indy last season and the GM called him out for it publicly?
I can't speak to those exactly, but I can tell you I watched him a lot his big year at Indy. He has a ton of natural talent, but I question his dedication and toughness. He doesn't like to get hit, though I did see him play through some tough ankle issues, but the minute he feels disrespected he gets a little whiny. If he's matured some and handled properly he could be a difference maker. He's strictly a move TE, not much desire to block at all. He is a great EZ threat. He loves scoring TDs. I expect him to get plenty of early EZ looks from BB, and even more if he delivers on those. When focused and healthy he has a great catch radius and strong hands. Vance is now a chain mover and blocker and EE is your EZ threat.

AirRescueFF

Post by AirRescueFF » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:27 am

Please be 2018 Ebron.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:30 am

DP39 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 pm
Jobu wrote:
Clubhouse cancer
I can't speak to those exactly, but I can tell you I watched him a lot his big year at Indy. He has a ton of natural talent, but I question his dedication and toughness. He doesn't like to get hit, though I did see him play through some tough ankle issues, but the minute he feels disrespected he gets a little whiny. If he's matured some and handled properly he could be a difference maker. He's strictly a move TE, not much desire to block at all. He is a great EZ threat. He loves scoring TDs. I expect him to get plenty of early EZ looks from BB, and even more if he delivers on those. When focused and healthy he has a great catch radius and strong hands. Vance is now a chain mover and blocker and EE is your EZ threat.
Thanks DP.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:01 am

DP39 wrote:
Jobu wrote:
Clubhouse cancer
The key in that season is Luck kept throwing to him. He drops a lot of balls that hit him in the hands. They just kept feeding him.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:30 am

jebrick wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:01 am
DP39 wrote:
Jobu wrote:

The key in that season is Luck kept throwing to him. He drops a lot of balls that hit him in the hands. They just kept feeding him.
Yeesh that's the last thing I want to see.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:06 am

Ebron is only 26 years old. I’ll say that again. 26 years old. I feel like this dude has been in the league for 15 years.

I think he’s going to ball out in PGH. He’s a tremendous athlete and is a legit red zone weapon. With a healthy Ben arm? Look the fuck out.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:51 pm

In his best season, Ebron is a 60% catcher. That is with Luck throwing the ball. Compare that with Mcdonald's 70% when Ben or Rudolph or Duck is throwing the ball. Great athlete <> football player.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

DP39

Post by DP39 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:14 pm

I view Ebron's questionable hands as more of a focus issue than a natural catch inability. IF he takes a professional mature approach to working on his catch focus, route running and overall composure, he can be a very reliable difference maker.

Lots of IFs, but the talent is definitely there. Hopefully, he finally has his head in the right place.

Anybody hear the details of his 2 yr contract yet? I'm hoping the G$ is below $5M.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:06 am
Ebron is only 26 years old. I’ll say that again. 26 years old. I feel like this dude has been in the league for 15 years.

I think he’s going to ball out in PGH. He’s a tremendous athlete and is a legit red zone weapon. With a healthy Ben arm? Look the fuck out.
My eyes popped reading that. 26?!!
I hope he can realize his talent more in Pittsburgh. WE've had our share of late blooming players who end up doing well for another team. Time to have a guy like him blossom on this team!

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:17 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:
A push signing for McDonald to shit or get off the pot. An upgrade to Vanett. Not a bad signing for a cash strapped team, in a poor TE class draft with very minimal picks. It's a move and a good one in that sense.

McDonald
Ebron
Gentry

Is the international waiver still a thing?

There is (was?) a rule that each team has one roster spot available for an international player that was exempt from the normal roster limits.
Which is why mr scotland-williamson is a non factor. It's as though he doesn't exist.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

AirRescueFF

Post by AirRescueFF » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:40 pm

It was supposed to be 1 Division per year. Don't know whose turn it is this year.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:02 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:06 am

If we can use 2 te sets. We will blow teams over
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:26 pm

We needed another receiving threat at TE even with keeping Vance, and with a FA class full of Ebron-caliber FAs and a weak draft class at TE, getting one of the Ebrons in FA was the right way to go.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 pm

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:02 pm
If we can use 2 te sets. We will blow teams over
Where this should really matter, hopefully, is the RZ and TD efficiency. The other plus is, between Ebron and Vance, hopefully at least one of them is healthy in a given week.

Just more ways to attack teams. I still like our receivers with Ben. JuJu will bounce back when Ben is able to get other guys involved. I think DJ takes a huge leap this year and emerges as a top-20 receiver. Washington finally breaks out. That's a nice trio with a QB that can throw the ball.

Ben will also really help the protections and blocking, so the running game will benefit as well. RB now looks like the biggest weakness, with the big questionmark there being whether Conner and Samuels can stay healthy.

We really are now set for BPA in the draft. Though I think they may look for a difference maker at RB, and you can get that in R2 or R3 if you pick the right guy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:39 am

CORE-TEN wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:

McDonald
Ebron
Gentry

Before he got hurt this past year, he was our best TE on the field in Pre-Season. Granted, McDonald didn't play. If I remember right, it was Grimble, Gentry, CSW and Rader. Was he OR will he ever be a George Kittle type or Kelce good, probably not. But he has some athleticism to him. And when he learns to play the game, he could be a Villanueva type (New/change of positions) find/success. Plus he is a Big Boy. Gronk type of TE, again, probably not. But, I'm holding out hope that once he learns the NFL TE position, he tuns into a Gronk mini-me. And if that doesn't work out, lets at least hope he turns into a better Gentry, if Gellllntry shits the bed. CSW appeared better than Gentry last year and Gentry has been a TE in the past. CSW is my "hopeful" SURPRISE of the 53 this year.

BUT, hopefully AT least one of Gentry or CSW steps up.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:59 am

Ebron had a great season in Luck's last campaign.

He is a bit hit and miss. For 6M a year?

Worth risk.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm

I like Vance, but I can't remember him catching any downfield passes. HIs game seems to be more H-back - screens, short passes, run after the catch etc. (too lazy to look up the air yards per catch)

Ebron if healthy brings that threat. Ben hasn't had that since Heath retired. Should open some space for the guys outside.

I really like this signing

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:07 pm
With McDonald and Gentry we had the worst TE group in the NFL. Ebron is far from perfect but he's a huge upgrade over Gentry's worthless ass.

Steelers doing what they do: shoring up the roster before the draft.
Why the hate for Gentry? He was in around 40 snaps last year. From I saw he wasn’t awful. Besides there was nobody to exploit his talents if he was in. And there was surely nobody to throw him the ball.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:24 am

I don't think you can judge any of the TEs last year. The plays ran for them were awful and the QBs were worse. Why this team couldn't figure out how to run a damn screen play is beyond me. It really looked like they never practiced it every time they ran one. Kind of like Arians' goal line/short yardage running game here. Just pathetic. Ben will get these guys and hopefully the new FB the ball where they can do some damage. We'll see if they can stay healthy and catch it when they are.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:24 am
I don't think you can judge any of the TEs last year.
Yeah, it's really underrated what Ben did for that offense - from calling plays, to audibling, to helping with the blocking/protection calls...

Whereas two first-year QB's who weren't working with a lot of talent to begin with, all of which is magnified by the fact neither has an NFL arm (MR might be able to throw it with a little more zip than Duck, but he can't do it accurately).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 am

Also add how many time he saved Pouncey with those bad snaps. But i feel good if he healthy and Eric best season was with Luck.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 am

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 am
RemoAZ wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:24 am
I don't think you can judge any of the TEs last year.
Yeah, it's really underrated what Ben did for that offense - from calling plays, to audibling, to helping with the blocking/protection calls...

Whereas two first-year QB's who weren't working with a lot of talent to begin with, all of which is magnified by the fact neither has an NFL arm (MR might be able to throw it with a little more zip than Duck, but he can't do it accurately).
Not to mention, just his presence makes defenses take a different approach when game planning.

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:50 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 am
Also add how many time he saved Pouncey with those bad snaps. But i feel good if he healthy and Eric best season was with Luck.
Has Pouncey always been that way?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic