Well. How is everyone doing with this thing? NFL free agency may be only sports happening for a while.

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Kodiak

Re: Well. How is everyone doing with this thing? NFL free agency may be only sports happening for a while.

Post by Kodiak » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 am

955876 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:26 am
Considering the season doesn’t start till Sept it’d be real bad if it wasn’t able to be a go.
Until there's a vaccine, or at least treatments, I don't see social distancing ending any time soon.

I have a tough time seeing most sports get the greenlight to come back. When you see how quickly and easily this could have run thru the NBA I can't imagine even playing empty stadiums would be a good idea.

Only chance I see for most sports is if you had like a home pregnancy test for it. That way you could test & clear every player each day before practice/games. Then what happens if a team does somehow have an outbreak? That team would be out of commission for 4-5 weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm

R_S wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am
https://m.calcalistech.com/Article.aspx?guid=3800632

This guys pretty smart. Hes is thinking on an Entirely different plane than epidemiologists. So china is petering out at what? 3-4k deaths

And im supposed to believe that 400k to 1.6 million Anericans will die?

I already know what will happen. Less than 10k will die and the "experts" will claim social distancing saved us!

Now we have increasing panic each day when the 24/7 news media reports another positive test. Well no shit. Now they are finally testing people and its appears that we are all gonna get it. Wrong. Positives will peter out as testing levels out.

Mortality rate is gonna be well beloe 1% when this thing is said and done. Hell. Id be some of you have already had this fucker a month ago. NBA guys getting tested who are asymptomatic and positive. Stay home, due your part but enough of the doom and gloom. Back to work in April!

Just read the damn article.

Optimism is good for your health.
In China, they'll haul you off and fucking kill you if you don't quarantine yourself.

Here in South Florida, cunts are still going to the beach regularly and partying like its Spring Fucking Break.

Comparing China's response to the US's is fucking stupid.

As an Italian doctor recently wrote: "This virus doesn't have legs. We are its legs". Until people stay home en masse, this virus will continue to spread like wildfire (oh and while everyone is celebrating scumbag Harvey Weinsten getting Coronavirus, nobody is stopping to think about how the virus being in the prison system, where folks are all in close quarters, is like lighting a match).
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:24 pm

R_S wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am
https://m.calcalistech.com/Article.aspx?guid=3800632

This guys pretty smart. Hes is thinking on an Entirely different plane than epidemiologists. So china is petering out at what? 3-4k deaths

And im supposed to believe that 400k to 1.6 million Anericans will die?

I already know what will happen. Less than 10k will die and the "experts" will claim social distancing saved us!

Now we have increasing panic each day when the 24/7 news media reports another positive test. Well no shit. Now they are finally testing people and its appears that we are all gonna get it. Wrong. Positives will peter out as testing levels out.

Mortality rate is gonna be well beloe 1% when this thing is said and done. Hell. Id be some of you have already had this fucker a month ago. NBA guys getting tested who are asymptomatic and positive. Stay home, due your part but enough of the doom and gloom. Back to work in April!

Just read the damn article.

Optimism is good for your health.
I just read your post this morning, but before doing so had sent the CalTech link around a bunch before seeing it to my surprise in Fury.

This is a beacon of hope.

20% infection rate.

Unfortunately we seem to be pivoting away from testing nationally which will make plotting the infection rate more difficult than it needs to be.

If we plot the infection rate properly, you can spit out the end date of this mess with pretty decent accuracy in the US and every country.

The cruise lines being more or less a Nazi dream experiment if it would have been government forced on people, ends up being a valuable trove of data; such as, same infection rate as the flu and we do have immunity already built up in the herd.

He still says we need to be doing what we are doing to shrink our social circles. Throw in public transportation and mass transit, and the social circles are huge and the spread can be exponential, break those transportation options and the disease becomes manageable. Unfortunately it is additive to the flu during a the flu season, but all that will be diminishing hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:24 pm

how about South Korea, Japan, Germany. It's looking like Germany may be showing us what is a much more probable death rate.

The Swine flu caused 274,000 hospitalizations and nearly 12,500 deaths in the US in 2009-2010. I have a feeling this will be similar. But yeah , I'm totally cool with a short period of isolation. Short.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:37 pm

R_S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:24 pm
how about South Korea, Japan, Germany. It's looking like Germany may be showing us what is a much more probable death rate.

The Swine flu caused 274,000 hospitalizations and nearly 12,500 deaths in the US in 2009-2010. I have a feeling this will be similar. But yeah , I'm totally cool with a short period of isolation. Short.
I have a feeling you could look at Netflix streaming data and come to the conclusion that a large portion of the population is already isolated.

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:38 pm

I wish they would/could test everyone. That would show us the true mortality rates, likely much less than 1% and maybe, just maybe quell the panic.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 pm

R_S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:38 pm
I wish they would/could test everyone. That would show us the true mortality rates, likely much less than 1% and maybe, just maybe quell the panic.
I don't think we'd throw ourselves into a depression over <1% mortality rate (which may be even lower with a few treatments being tested).

The problem is Cuomo is just saying they are seeing 13% of infections require hospitalization, and 24% of those require ICU. I believe the US has a total of just under 100k ICU beds. So it's easy to see that 5M cases in the US, or roughly 1.5% of the population, getting sick would overwhelm the hospitals. And an infection rate on par with the flu could easily see 60M cases over 5-6 months. If the hospitals get overwhelmed, you'll see mortality rates spike like in Italy, to maybe something more like 5%.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:51 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:36 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 pm
Sorry, more then 10,000 will die here in the US.
Well, that would be about 1/3 of a typical flu season.

It's going to be quite a bit worse than Trump says. But for god's sake, stop fucking watching CNN.
Why the hell would anyone watch CNN?
To get news updates :? :? :?

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 pm
R_S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:38 pm
I don't think we'd throw ourselves into a depression over <1% mortality rate (which may be even lower with a few treatments being tested).

The problem is Cuomo is just saying they are seeing 13% of infections require hospitalization, and 24% of those require ICU. I believe the US has a total of just under 100k ICU beds. So it's easy to see that 5M cases in the US, or roughly 1.5% of the population, getting sick would overwhelm the hospitals. And an infection rate on par with the flu could easily see 60M cases over 5-6 months. If the hospitals get overwhelmed, you'll see mortality rates spike like in Italy, to maybe something more like 5%.
Data is insufficient. I'm ok with preparing for the worst, but I can still be personally optimistic that the numbers won't be as bad as predicted.

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Kodiak wrote:

Well said, Kodiak. Using Cuomo's numbers, even at a 20% infection rate, we would have a total of just over 2 million ICU patients.

There is a problem with other hospital supplies, too. Aside from ventilators for ICU beds, one of the most important shortfalls is probably masks, which obviously hospital personnel and many others would desperately need. States are currently bidding against each other for masks! That has to change.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:06 pm

El Kabong wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 pm
It's possible to think both Fox News AND CNN are full of crap.
Cynicism (an easy "out") over the media and whataboutism/ false equivalency is a fabrication. I hope you know that. CNN, as much as they might make mistakes, isn't even in the same category as fox with carlson and hannity. Not.Even.Close. Both follow the money, but one misinforms and manipulates through propaganda. Remember how Fox news was calling this virus a liberal hoax? Based on the comments here, I see many still think that's the case.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:43 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:06 pm
El Kabong wrote:
Cynicism (an easy "out") over the media and whataboutism/ false equivalency is a fabrication. I hope you know that. CNN, as much as they might make mistakes, isn't even in the same category as fox with carlson and hannity. Not.Even.Close. Both follow the money, but one misinforms and manipulates through propaganda. Remember how Fox news was calling this virus a liberal hoax? Based on the comments here, I see many still think that's the case.
Well, this is awkward.....
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump ... ly-remark/
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump ... -new-hoax/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... coronavir/

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Drummer Boy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:23 pm
Kodiak wrote:

Well said, Kodiak. Using Cuomo's numbers, even at a 20% infection rate, we would have a total of just over 2 million ICU patients.

There is a problem with other hospital supplies, too. Aside from ventilators for ICU beds, one of the most important shortfalls is probably masks, which obviously hospital personnel and many others would desperately need. States are currently bidding against each other for masks! That has to change.
You guys will laugh at this, but if I was in an Emergency Room environment I would buy one of the Full Face Snorkel masks with the snorkel built into the mask on top. Just stuff a HEPA filter in the snorkel and call it a day.

Dunk that thing in a disinfectant bucket as needed and change the hepa filter as needed. Thousands of places to get HEPA filters.

$30 dollars on Amazon and in stock with many sizes and colors.

Use them over and over...face, eyes, nose, and respiration protection for $30.

I don’t know why they mess around with the masks and flimsy face shields. If it works underwater, it will work in the ER.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:02 pm

None of this debunks what I just said.

You stated that Fox parrots propaganda, and used a proven falsehood to try and illustrate that point. You basically proved 95's earlier post.

I'm well aware that Fox is a right-wing news source. Just as I'm aware with MSNBC's political leanings. Those networks are up front with their political biases, which is why i shrug most of their crap off.

CNN, on the other hand, claims to be a down the middle, objective outlet. They are very obviously not, which is what pisses me (and many others) off.

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:15 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
El Kabong wrote:
Sounds like a very unbiased view you have. :lol: :lol: :lol:

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 pm

R_S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:15 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
El Kabong wrote:
You wouldn't know *unbiased* if it bit you in the ass.

I never said cnn isn't biased. Or MSNBC for that matter. But to say those are the same as fox is lunacy. The Australian Gov told the FCC that murdoch was a cancer, and shouldn't give him an FCC license. Because he engages in yellow journalism and lies. Purposefully to manipulate public opinion. But he generates cash, so it's all good.

Keep living in your bubble.
Last edited by COR-TEN on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 pm

https://youtu.be/HvE9hCZ-jaU

I am the type of person that believes what I see, not what someone tells me to believe.

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Glad to see this is turning into a political thread.

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
El Kabong wrote:
Can you teach me how to be more unbias like yourself? You seem to have it nailed.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:08 pm

R_S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:50 pm
Ahh yes. WHaaaaaaaa!! Any criticism of anything is suddenly partisan. It effectively censors people. Which I guess is what is desired. whiny motherfuckers can't cope with being told they fucked up. Nope. Cant say anything critical because libs politicize everything.

If dems win the white house, I expect all conservatives to shut the fuck up.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:26 pm

Forget about all those asshole TV news sources. Just turn on PBS and listen to Judie Woodruff et al. Everything else is ratings driven noise. Does PBS lean a little left? Sure. Is it the least biased and most honest reporting on television? Hell yes.

Fox? Shit.
CNN? Shit.
MSNBC? Shit.
ABC? Shit.
NBC? Shit.
CBS? Shit.

PBS, baby. 8-)
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 pm

It looks like Trump did in fact order more masks to be produced. I am anything but a fan of his, but that is a very positive step.

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:08 pm
R_S wrote:
Ahh yes. WHaaaaaaaa!! Any criticism of anything is suddenly partisan. It effectively censors people. Which I guess is what is desired. whiny motherfuckers can't cope with being told they fucked up. Nope. Cant say anything critical because libs politicize everything.

Is something troubling you?

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 pm
R_S wrote:
CORE-TEN wrote:

I never said cnn isn't biased. Or MSNBC for that matter. But to say those are the same as fox is lunacy. The Australian Gov told the FCC that murdoch was a cancer, and shouldn't give him an FCC license. Because he engages in yellow journalism and lies. Purposefully to manipulate public opinion. But he generates cash, so it's all good.

Fox tried to get a license to broadcast in Canada, the government did their due diligence and told Fox to GET FUCKED no propaganda allowed.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 pm

R_S wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:08 pm
R_S wrote:

Is something troubling you?
Something is troubling me, that is your blatant hiprocisy. You talk shit then when you get challenged you say shit like "Is something troubling you" STFU

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:31 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
El Kabong wrote:
I am not doing false equivalency. Both Fox and CNN have given me reasons to believe they are full of crap.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 am

stinger8 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 pm
R_S wrote:

Fox tried to get a license to broadcast in Canada, the government did their due diligence and told Fox to GET FUCKED no propaganda allowed.
We're 2 for 2 on repeating bogus internet rumors about Fox
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/canadian-fox/

R_S

Post by R_S » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:37 am

Maybe there is something to this fake news thing afterall. Eh Core?

Locked Previous topicNext topic