click bait
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 pm

jebrick wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:53 pm
click bait
Colin is grasping at anything right now. We were 8-8 with a couple of QBs that barely knew how to line up behind the correct lineman. Now we have an easier schedule and health on both sides of the ball and we are supposed to be worse?

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue May 19, 2020 7:18 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 pm
jebrick wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:53 pm
click bait
Colin is grasping at anything right now. We were 8-8 with a couple of QBs that barely knew how to line up behind the correct lineman. Now we have an easier schedule and health on both sides of the ball and we are supposed to be worse?
Thus click bait
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm

This narrative that Ben is washed has really taken hold. People have some really fuckin short memories about what the dude does on Sundays.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm
This narrative that Ben is washed has really taken hold. People have some really fuckin short memories about what the dude does on Sundays.
Well, you can't have a great "comeback player of the year" award without really burying the guy.

The Jordan post the other day made me remember how "demanding" Jordan and Bird were of their teammates, because they had such an incredible desire to win and competitiveness. Ben calls out a couple plays where a guy could have made more effort or ran a wrong route and he becomes the worst teammate in history. It all traces back to early in his career. You think a decade later in his final years they'd be a little more fair to him.

Can't wait to see what Ben looks like when he's not forcing throws with a bad elbow to AB...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue May 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Cowherd was singing the praises of the Steelers a few short months ago. Claiming they will battle with Baltimore for the North. He just says shit to stir the pot especially with the current situation of no sports and nothing to fill the airwaves with. Just let out a hot take about the Steelers and wait for all ad money to pile up with a few million fans coming to your website to tell you off. "click bait"

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue May 19, 2020 8:49 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
The sad thing is that a good portion of those really fuckin short memory people come from his own(Steelers) fan base. He doesn’t get the respect he deserves from the national sports media because he doesn’t get it from the Pittsburgh fans. Maybe after he retires?

That said...Steelers going 7-9 may not be as outrageous as it sounds.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue May 19, 2020 8:51 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue May 19, 2020 9:02 pm

im happy this team is being seen as worse

i cant think of one unit we wont be better at except maybe DL and specifically NT

I know it wont happen but if Connor was used only on 3rd down in the 2nd half and as the feature back in the last 7-5 mins .....this team could really do well

rats chiefs saints 9ers.....we beat some combination of those teams when it counts and hello 7......i fear none of them if Ben has protection and weapons
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed May 20, 2020 12:06 am

Tomlin goes back to attrition football and Ben may not make much difference.

Also, I expect the defense will not be as good without as many turnovers this year. We got punked on the run several times last year, and I wouldn't be shocked if they aren't quite a top-10 defense (but the schedule will help).

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed May 20, 2020 12:15 am

Fuck Colon Cuntherd.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:15 am
Fuck Colon Cuntherd.
I was about to post something similar.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed May 20, 2020 1:06 am

First off, he's pretty much the only talking head that really took that Glazer comment and really ran with it, and it's been the driving force behind his Steelers-adjacent babble ever since.

Secondly, he's got, what, three hours of air to fill and Korean baseball, eSports, NASCAR, marble racing and Michael Jordan to talk about; and Michael Jordan just ended.

He seriously interviewed a guy who delivered pizza to Jordan 23 years ago on air today. With a straight face. Nobody has ever been in more desperate need of a clickbait hot take.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Solid narrative if you ask me. I hope the media continues to beat that drum because I know Ben works better when he's out to prove something. Same way I love when everyone picks the Ravens to win the division.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed May 20, 2020 2:37 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:49 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The sad thing is that a good portion of those really fuckin short memory people come from his own(Steelers) fan base. He doesn’t get the respect he deserves from the national sports media because he doesn’t get it from the Pittsburgh fans. Maybe after he retires?

That said...Steelers going 7-9 may not be as outrageous as it sounds.
I've micro-examined-bitched about Ben plenty, but all you have to do is watch the games and it's obvious that the guy is a spectacular QB. The bolded seems weird.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed May 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:37 pm
I've micro-examined-bitched about Ben plenty, but all you have to do is watch the games and it's obvious that the guy is a spectacular QB. The bolded seems weird.
I think more than a few in the fan base still believe all the BS that was rained on Ben backing during Allegedville. If you just accepted those smear pieces as true and accurate, then you'd be justified in thinking Ben is a horrible person.

And the media still holds a grudge from young Ben. It's hard for someone to re-write their narrative after it's been established like that.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 am

I love all the "experts" predicting the Steelers demise. If Tomlin is half as smart as I think he is, he'll be posting the quotes all over the locker room. Nothing motivates the modern athlete more than being "put on blast". Hopefully the media keeps piling on, especially Juju. Anything to get him more focused is great. Ben always seems to get better when people start to doubt his ability. Keep it coming!
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 am

Pretty shoddy example of how Cowherd's industry works.

Back when the Steelers were 8-5 and in the playoff hunt, Cowherd was praising Tomlin and how he should be coach of the year, for keeping his team together, not giving up, rallying the troops, etc.

Now in the offseason Cowherd thinks Tomlin is a bum.

I say this in all seriousness, any of us on Steeler Fury can do what Colin Cowherd does for a living. He is no authority on football. To me he is like Peter King and that ilk.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu May 21, 2020 1:12 pm

The media loves Brady. How many superstars in sports are on that level as a leader? Sure there are some but probably many more that are not.

Ben has grown tremendously as a person and that's all we can reasonably ask.

Having the psycho Brown and the knucklehead Bell on the team had a major impact on the media Ben narrative.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 pm

The people thinking the Steelers will be significantly better, will, be I believe disappointed. Ben was bad the 2 games he played in last year, now he is 1 year older. The depth across most positions is below average AND injuries happen, unavoidable. Bens elbow blows out and guess who the QB is??
But the thing that still lingers with me is the pasting we took against Baltimore last year when we were in a win and in mode and they were playing back ups and were home and cooled out (unmotivated). That game was bad, really bad 28-10 :cry: Hate to say it but the Ravens are significantly better.

Everything goes right 10-6, some injuries bad luck 8-8 I keep my fingers crossed.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:06 am
Tomlin goes back to attrition football and Ben may not make much difference.

Also, I expect the defense will not be as good without as many turnovers this year. We got punked on the run several times last year, and I wouldn't be shocked if they aren't quite a top-10 defense (but the schedule will help).
Tomlin's hand was forced last year. There will be no attrition "foosball" this year, Bobby. Most of that running game ineffectiveness was because Nix was out and we had no one on the roster that could block at the point of attack apparently. Enter little brother Watt.

What I am hoping for is a similar mindset to what Denver did in John Elway's last two years. Most of the throws Elway made were pitch and catch into single coverage. That doesn't happen without a strong run game. So get Ben to put aside that arm ego and manipulate the defense with the running game then step in and gun a team down with throws that are in his advantage- single coverages, soft zones. I do not want Ben to come back and put up 5k on some "Im back" revenge scheme. If he can give us 4k (most of that in single coverage) use the RBs to juice the pulp out of defense and as soon as they work to stop it- put them out of their misery with the deep shots.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Thu May 21, 2020 6:25 pm

stinger8 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 pm
The people thinking the Steelers will be significantly better, will, be I believe disappointed. Ben was bad the 2 games he played in last year, now he is 1 year older. The depth across most positions is below average AND injuries happen, unavoidable. Bens elbow blows out and guess who the QB is??
But the thing that still lingers with me is the pasting we took against Baltimore last year when we were in a win and in mode and they were playing back ups and were home and cooled out (unmotivated). That game was bad, really bad 28-10 :cry: Hate to say it but the Ravens are significantly better.

Everything goes right 10-6, some injuries bad luck 8-8 I keep my fingers crossed.

Jesus take the wheel. I read that post with an Eeyore voice. I respect your opinion but if you look at that Ravens game the Steelers were effectively eliminated before that game began.Texans were playing backups on both sides of the ball because they couldn't improve their position. And the Steelers QB threw for 95 yards. So the team just wanted to get through the game. I believe that the improvements Ravens made were superficial if you put a bunch of older guys on your DL- you're just asking for someone to run a hurry up on them just to tire them out. The Ravens team is too one dimensional right now and with two weeks a team can scheme to stop them- which is what the Titans did. The Ravens are going to have to pay Jackson top tier QB money and as we found out with Flacco putting a team around a QB on MVP money is not really their forte.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:25 pm
stinger8 wrote:

Jesus take the wheel. I read that post with an Eeyore voice. I respect your opinion but if you look at that Ravens game the Steelers were effectively eliminated before that game began.Texans were playing backups on both sides of the ball because they couldn't improve their position. And the Steelers QB threw for 95 yards. So the team just wanted to get through the game. I believe that the improvements Ravens made were superficial if you put a bunch of older guys on your DL- you're just asking for someone to run a hurry up on them just to tire them out. The Ravens team is too one dimensional right now and with two weeks a team can scheme to stop them- which is what the Titans did. The Ravens are going to have to pay Jackson top tier QB money and as we found out with Flacco putting a team around a QB on MVP money is not really their forte.
Effectively maybe BUT the Ravens imposed their will they ran for 200 plus yards on a "highly ranked" defense. This is what we used to do a long time ago. We had a chance and we got owned. I hope I am wrong.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 am

stinger8 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 pm
VeritasSteel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:25 pm
stinger8 wrote:

Effectively maybe BUT the Ravens imposed their will they ran for 200 plus yards on a "highly ranked" defense. This is what we used to do a long time ago. We had a chance and we got owned. I hope I am wrong.
You're not considering the possibility that the surgery improved Ben's arm so that he will look BETTER than he did last year or for the past few years. I also think you're blowing that final game of the year vs. the Ravens out of proportion. I want to see the Ravens prove they're better than us with a healthy Ben before I crown their ass.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Fri May 22, 2020 1:30 am

stinger8 wrote:
The Steelers started the day knowing that we had less than a 10% chance to make the playoffs. When the Texans put a bunch of subs on the field it went down to less than 1%. So I do not blame the defense for laying down during that game.

Not sitting here worried about the Ravens. After they pay Jackson they will be another one-dimensional team with great talent at the QB position but not enough money to get him weapons or the level of talent on defense that they are used to.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:26 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:30 am
stinger8 wrote:
The Steelers started the day knowing that we had less than a 10% chance to make the playoffs. When the Texans put a bunch of subs on the field it went down to less than 1%. So I do not blame the defense for laying down during that game.

Not sitting here worried about the Ravens. After they pay Jackson they will be another one-dimensional team with great talent at the QB position but not enough money to get him weapons or the level of talent on defense that they are used to.
Yes when they pay Jackson BUT that is not necessary for a at least 2 years (not sure) so this year and probably next they are loaded. How many years does #7 play? When they start paying Jackson we are in a major rebuilding mode. Our window is not that bright. Now Jackson could get hurt running the ball so much so there is that possibility, then it is a different scenario. As an aside when I hear Jackson speak he sounds very grounded and balanced, the kind of guy who could leave money on the table for the betterment of the team. We shall see. I stand by my record predictions we are under dogs to Baltimore. Harbaugh is a better coach than Tomlin too.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Fri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm

stinger8 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:26 pm
VeritasSteel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:30 am
stinger8 wrote:

Yes when they pay Jackson BUT that is not necessary for a at least 2 years (not sure) so this year and probably next they are loaded. How many years does #7 play? When they start paying Jackson we are in a major rebuilding mode. Our window is not that bright. Now Jackson could get hurt running the ball so much so there is that possibility, then it is a different scenario. As an aside when I hear Jackson speak he sounds very grounded and balanced, the kind of guy who could leave money on the table for the betterment of the team. We shall see. I stand by my record predictions we are under dogs to Baltimore. Harbaugh is a better coach than Tomlin too.
With QBs with something significant on their resumes you want to pay them as quickly as it is feasible. Everyone saw what happened with the Colts and Peyton Manning and arent bound to repeat that. And while you can speak to his humbleness the rule is you get your money. Taking a discount for the team is never in your best interest and if they will screw over Tom Brady they will screw over you.

Your opinion about Harbaugh's coaching ability and the Raven's dominance is yours to express. Doesn't make it right- but right never got in the way of a passionate opinion. Steelers defense is better than the Ravens, now our offense has more playmakers and a guy that can use them.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri May 22, 2020 6:30 pm

The Rats have 2020, 21, and 22 with Jackson under his rookie contract, if they pick up the 5th year option.
The Rats weren’t just better than the Steelers in 2019...They were 6 games better. Ben closes that gap, but he doesn’t make 6 games worth of difference.
The Rats will need to take a serious step backwards for the Steelers to make up ground...which is a real possibility considering their gimmick offense.
Steelers defense is better than the Ravens,
Maybe...
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:30 pm
The Rats have 2020, 21, and 22 with Jackson under his rookie contract, if they pick up the 5th year option.
The Rats weren’t just better than the Steelers in 2019...They were 6 games better. Ben closes that gap, but he doesn’t make 6 games worth of difference.
The Rats will need to take a serious step backwards for the Steelers to make up ground...which is a real possibility considering their gimmick offense.
Steelers defense is better than the Ravens,
Maybe...
I do not see it like that. Steelers defense is younger and faster Ravens went out and got a bunch of old guys to plug up the middle of their defense. Jared Geoff went from being the next Tom Brady to being a guy that got exposed. I think the Titans did that to Jackson. Force him wide make him throw to the WRs.

Ok, Jackson signed a 4-year deal in 2018 and it's up after 2021- not 2023. There is no fifth-year option.
Lamar Jackson signed a 4 year, $9,471,648 contract with the Baltimore Ravens, including a $4,968,471 signing bonus, $7,575,059 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,367,912. In 2020, Jackson will earn a base salary of $1,341,059, while carrying a cap hit of $2,583,176 and a dead cap value of $4,180,296.
Here's the issue- Mahomes and Prescott's deals will be accelerating by 2021. Someone who has won the MVP has the leverage to get paid market value without an SB trophy. I know they have him at $2 million now, but waiting until after next year to sign him might be fiscal suicide. Mahomes is going to get $40 million at some point in his new deal that will be the market cap- right now its Ben's 34. If the Ravens get Jackson on paper anywhere close to Mahome's number and they cannot remain competitive --which I am hoping for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic