Dolphins looking to trade Rosen?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steelafan77

Dolphins looking to trade Rosen?

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 am

@colin_dunlap
I would offer the Dolphins a third round pick --- today --- for Josh Rosen. The guy is 23.
The Steelers won't. But they should. https://twitter.com/colin_dunlap/status ... 5272163331
Don't recall what they gave up for Rosen but I would certainly make a phone call just to see what the phins wish list is. Probably not the best time due to this lockdown crap but any other regular start to the season it would be a nice competition to determine whether Rosen could be a better prospect than Rudolph? Still only 23 years old. Thoughts?

“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri May 22, 2020 12:05 pm

7th round pick and a 12 pack of IC light
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri May 22, 2020 12:25 pm

I'd offer a 5th.

No higher.

Josh looks a little like Mason did at the end of last season. Shell shocked.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm

You guys trying to give B2B a conniption?

Rosen is trash. Throws a great ball one play and then looks like dogshit the next three plays after that. He's had every excuse in the world made for him, but the guy can't play at the NFL level.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Rosen is trash. Throws a great ball one play and then looks like dogshit the next three plays after that. He's had every excuse in the world made for him, but the guy can't play at the NFL level.
You may be right about Rosen but he's also had, I believe, a new coach and offensive coordinator every year he's been in the league.

That isn't the way for any young QB to progress.

Rosen has all the tools. There's truth that he might not have his heart 100% in the game but if that were true, I believe he would have quit by now. I could be wrong but I believe I've read in the past that Rosen comes from quite a lot of wealth and he isn't exactly playing in the NFL to survive.

Under Ben and in the Steelers system and locker room, a guy like Rosen might thrive. With our back up QB situation the way it is right now, zero doubt I'd take a flyer on him.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri May 22, 2020 4:53 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm

I agree. I'd rather roll with MR and . . . ?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 pm

I would take Rudolph and a Duck over Rosen as a FA.

A trade for Rosen is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard posed on this website... unless it’s a trade of Switzer for Rosen, in which case... sure.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 pm

Even if he was just ok and it cost a 7th round draft pick, I'm guessing his remaining salary would be way too much to pay for a QB2 or QB3. Wasn't he like a top 5 to 10 pick?

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Rosen would immediately be the second best QB on the roster and it wouldn’t be close. Steelers backup signal callers are trash. If you’re looking for a cheap, young fallback option who has the potential to be the long term answer if the stars align then Rosen would be an excellent pickup. Has all the tools and has never been put in a position to succeed in his short career.

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 pm
Even if he was just ok and it cost a 7th round draft pick, I'm guessing his remaining salary would be way too much to pay for a QB2 or QB3. Wasn't he like a top 5 to 10 pick?
I think Rosen was the 10th pick and cannot imagine his hit is more than a couple million, which Jamis aside, is cheaper than the going rate for a backup QB.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 pm

People keep saying he's got all the tools haven't watched him very much.

His arm strength is well below average, his pocket presence is abysmal, and he crumbles into a fleshy pee when under duress. On top of that, he's supposedly a jerk and doesn't inspire the troops to play for him. Oh, and his record as a starting QB since arriving at UCLA: 20-26. This would seem to support the notion that he's not good at doing the things you need to do to win, especially when you need him to make a play despite the surrounding talent.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Smashmouth21 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 pm
DP39 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 pm
I think Rosen was the 10th pick and cannot imagine his hit is more than a couple million, which Jamis aside, is cheaper than the going rate for a backup QB.
Thanks Smash, just looked it up. He is owed $2,070,769 in 2020 and $2,879,694 in 2021, which are both fully guaranteed. Not a bad price, but you better really like the player with almost $5M G$ on the line. If the scenario is that he's the QB3 battling for QB2 with Biberty Boy then I'd pass.

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:05 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 pm
People keep saying he's got all the tools haven't watched him very much.

His arm strength is well below average, his pocket presence is abysmal, and he crumbles into a fleshy pee when under duress. On top of that, he's supposedly a jerk and doesn't inspire the troops to play for him. Oh, and his record as a starting QB since arriving at UCLA: 20-26. This would seem to support the notion that he's not good at doing the things you need to do to win, especially when you need him to make a play despite the surrounding talent.
Rosen carried an awful UCLA team pretty much on his own. The record was in no way an indictment of Rosen as a player. UCLA’s defense was so putrid that Rosen was always having to come from behind, never benefitted from any semblance of balance on offense, and opposing defenses just teed off on him. Then he was stuck on two NFL franchises in complete disarray. I’m not ready to pass judgment on him as a NFL QB given the hot turd pile he’s had to deal with to this point early in his career.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri May 22, 2020 9:23 pm

My understanding his he totally lacks any leadership ability. If the Dolphin's are giving up on him after trading a 2nd for him like the Cards who used a top 10 pick for him, after 1 year. Kind of scary. Paxton Lynch got more of a chance at Denver than this guy.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 pm

I cannot understand why anyone would want this guy here. We need a guy that could actually come in and play with some confidence. Rosen is the NFL version of Pulp Fiction's gimp. Spending a 7th rounder to get Miami from under his salary would only work if we are feeling guilty for getting #39.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sat May 23, 2020 2:09 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/276 ... inals-pick
POSITIVES
—In terms of mechanics, accuracy, footwork and touch, he's the best passer in the 2018 draft class. He's an incredibly clean passer.
—Rosen's background as a tennis player is obvious in watching him take a three- or five-step drop.
—He's a prototype in his release and delivery and operates like an NFL quarterback on play action.
—Rosen doesn't get rattled in the pocket despite a thin frame and tends to get better the more he's hit.
—With little talent around him at UCLA this season, Rosen's numbers weren't off the charts. Drops and missed connections played a role too.

—He has the arm strength to hit windows and has shown consistent touch in leading receivers upfield. He doesn't miss often.

NEGATIVES
—Injuries and a lack of mobility combine to scare teams as much as Rosen's alleged personality quirks.
—He has been injured in each of his three seasons at UCLA and missed a large part of 2016 with a shoulder injury.
—He doesn't have the athleticism to evade pass-rushers and instead puts down roots in the pocket.
—When asked to move off his spot and make plays, his accuracy suffers.
—Rosen will be judged on his off-field decisions. He infamously wore a "F--k Trump" hat to a Trump golf course and had a hot tub installed in his dorm room.
—Scouts have told us Rosen is well-liked by teammates but not by coaches due to his "smarter than" attitude.

https://sports.yahoo.com/greg-cosells-d ... 29623.html
Greg Cosell's draft analysis: Josh Rosen is the most refined, and perhaps best, QB in this class

https://www.nfl.com/news/josh-rosen-the ... 0000925405
Josh Rosen the best QB in 2018 draft
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat May 23, 2020 5:15 am

Rosen sucks. At everything.

Show me even one nfl td drive he looked like anything more than a clipboard holder

He has Biberty's pocket presence with none of his moxie or leadership abilities

He has Duck's arm strength with none of his daring or vision

no fucking thanks on rosen
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Flacco signed with the Jets for$1.5M as darnold's back up.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 pm
Yeah, I think it’s pretty clear that the Steelers are content with their QB situation.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sun May 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Yeah, I think it’s pretty clear that the Steelers are content with their QB situation.
Either that or nobody wants to sign with the steelers with BR coming off of what looks like successful surgery. Look at Dalton. If you were either one of those guys, would you come to pgh even with a decent contract? To sit on the bench of a former rival?

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun May 24, 2020 7:52 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:43 pm
Jobu wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Either that or nobody wants to sign with the steelers with BR coming off of what looks like successful surgery. Look at Dalton. If you were either one of those guys, would you come to pgh even with a decent contract? To sit on the bench of a former rival?
What??? Perhaps you haven’t heard...everyone wants to play for the Steelers. Most for practically nothing! :lol:

But seriously, you could be right, but the Steelers brass keeps insisting that they are not in the market for a QB. I lost count on how many times they’ve said it. And other than the bogus report from some guy blogging from his moms basement in Florida concerning Winston, I have seen nothing suggesting otherwise.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:49 am

I agree no reason to look at Rosen he no better than Mason or Paxyton

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 pm

I realize Rosen might be but all washed out... that said, with the offseason so damn long I thought why not poke the discussion bear. If Rosen came cheap I'd suit him up and let him go out and prove he can make my squad. Even if it is the practice squad. JMO
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:49 am
I agree no reason to look at Rosen he no better than Mason or Paxyton
At least Rosen threw two or three pretty passes a game to tease you with. That's two or three better than Bibberty. God knows about Paxton.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

SOCALSTEEL

Post by SOCALSTEEL » Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 pm

Jay Cutler 2.0

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu May 28, 2020 3:16 am

Yeah, Jay Cutler 2.0 is exactly right.

I do know one thing, if you don't love the game, have a passion for it, and are not a leader, don't inspire confidence and trust from your fellow players, then you are not going to be a successful QB.

When he was at UCLA they had to make a concerted effort to get him to 'fit in better' with his team mates. He has been described as having a unique personality that turns people off and rubs them the wrong way.

I get that people don't like Rudolph and are so down on him for last season, but I look at from the perspective that he was essentially a rookie playing for the first time. Not all QBs playing for the first time, starting their first 8 games can play like a Big Ben or a Pat Mahommes. Even Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson played bad their first 8 games as a pro.

I am not saying Rudolph will end up like Manning or Wilson, obviously, but the point remains that neither Manning or Wilson looked like All Pros in their first 8 games.

Wilson threw 8 INTs and had two lost Fumbles in his first 8 games as a Seahawks, that included a 3 INT game.

Manning threw 16 INTs and had one lost Fumble in his first 8 games as a Colt, that included a whopping three 3 INT games.

Yes, Rudolph looked very bad at times last season but maybe that is just a natural growing process that ALL NFL QBs have to go through. You don't just come in and become a dominant QB right off the bat (excepting those rare players like Ben or Mahommes).

My big criticism at this point is that I thought he was too skinny and did not have the arm strength to throw all the passes needed to be a successful starting QB. He was listed at 235 but to my eye he looked like maybe he was 20 pounds lighter. This offseason he needs to build up his body and arm strength. I often wondered if he purposely decided to lose weight from his rookie year thinking that somehow if he were more mobile it would help him be a better QB. Look, Mason is never going to have the tree trunk legs, the lower body of Ben, but Ben does more with those legs than just help shrug off D-lineman and LBers. That lower body strength helps power his throwing arm. That sounds like an odd thing to say but it is true.

I am an artist and people laugh when I tell them it is all in the shoulder when I draw or paint. it isn't just about drawing from the wrist and hand. Mechanically, how we get things done with our bodies is usually way more complicated than on first blush. With Mason last season his mechanics were a mess, did not follow through, threw off the wrong foot, attempted off platform throws that he has no business making.

Here is hoping that with a real QB coach that Mason improves this year. He finally has a real QB position coach in Matt Canada.

Hmm. I wonder what that young Peyton Manning had as his QB coach? Huh, Bruce Arians??

Russell Wilson? He had Carl Smith as his QB coach, who had 13 seasons as an Offensive Coordinator on his resume, he currently is DeShaun Watson's QB coach.

In comparison Mason Rudolph and Duck were alone in the dark without so much as a candle to help them find their way. Now, yes, maybe that is a little bit of an exaggeration but it is closer to the truth. How do you have young QBs and not give them a dedicated, experienced QB coach to help blow their noses and wipe their asses and get them coached up??

SteelWIll

Post by SteelWIll » Thu May 28, 2020 5:12 pm

I grew up just south of Johnstown in Westmoreland County---i remember going up there to see the Jets play and marvelled at how much blood got spilt during a hockey game....Slapshot is undoubtedly one of the best sports movies of all time...plus the "mooning" scene was filmed in my hometown around midnite w/ plenty of townspeople out for the festivities....Can anybody guess where?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic