“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:10 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:17 pm
We may not see football this year.

Got two emails Wednesday.
One from my college, stating all classes will be taught online.

One from the Steelers......giving me the option for a full refund of my season tickets for the 2020 season.
At this point, we would like to make you aware that you have the option to apply for a full refund for the 2020 season while still retaining the ability to renew your season ticket location in 2021,
The NBA and MLB will be the test run at the end of the month.
MLS has already started back up with a tournament as well. Aussie Rules Football is also back and in full swing. I know that doesn't have a huge impact on the US but it is a pro league that has lots of contact being run.

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:37 pm

https://www.urbandictionary.com/

Code: Select all

JUL 11 WORD OF THE DAY
Maskhole
selfish idiots in my neighborhood who think that they don't need to wear a mask because the rest of us do
A maskhole jogged right past me in the park today
Maskhole Idiot Neighbor of mine after their 4th of July party.
Attachments
IMG_E3359[1].JPG
IMG_E3359[1].JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2479 times
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/294 ... ource-says
According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, players also want no salary in escrow for 2020 and no reduction in the 2021 salary cap, despite projected revenue loss, which they'd prefer to spread over multiple years. The league's initial ask to place 35% of this year's salaries in escrow is considered a nonstarter.

A source told Graziano that no further conversations between the NFL and NFLPA are scheduled for Wednesday after the two sides talked each of the past two days.
Maskerbating
Debating about masks. The foolish act of wasting one’s time and energy debating evidence and “reasons” for and against the wearing of a mask. Please feel free to be creative and use the word in a sentence.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:00 am

jebrick wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm
According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, players also want no salary in escrow for 2020 and no reduction in the 2021 salary cap, despite projected revenue loss, which they'd prefer to spread over multiple years. The league's initial ask to place 35% of this year's salaries in escrow is considered a nonstarter.

A source told Graziano that no further conversations between the NFL and NFLPA are scheduled for Wednesday after the two sides talked each of the past two days.
Maskerbating
Debating about masks. The foolish act of wasting one’s time and energy debating evidence and “reasons” for and against the wearing of a mask. Please feel free to be creative and use the word in a sentence.
I don't think it's a waste of time to talk about the need for masks during a pandemic.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:34 am

El Kabong wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:00 am
jebrick wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Maskerbating
I don't think it's a waste of time to talk about the need for masks during a pandemic.
I'm not sure there are any minds left to be changed one way or the other. With the constant misinformation pro and con pouring out people have pretty much made up their own minds. It's not a big deal but I only wear masks when it is necessary because of mandates, store policy or can't maintain a safe distance. Otherwise I just stay home or by myself. I don't believe wearing a cloth mask will prevent a person from spreading or receiving Covid19. Maybe N95 or medical grade masks can but the majority that I see are basically a waste. But if it helps people to feel better go for it. Not a big deal.
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 am

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:34 am
I don't believe wearing a cloth mask will prevent a person from spreading or receiving Covid19. Maybe N95 or medical grade masks can but the majority that I see are basically a waste. But if it helps people to feel better go for it. Not a big deal.
Any reduction in the viral load you're exposed to can make a difference. So even "useless" cloth masks could prevent a death.

However, IMO if a maskless jogger offends you the jogger probably isn't the asshole - if you don't understand why, then do some more reading and then try running a mile with a mask on. There's simply not enough exposure in that scenario. Stay the fuck at home if you have a problem with people exercising to stay healthy.

Now if you're walking 3 feet behind another walker, then change your route. Even if there's a decent breeze, I'd probably just change my route. Much easier than shitting my pants and boiling my blood.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Really hoping to see football this year. Here's one of my favorite Steeler moments in a less complicated world.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1283726914457235457
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 am
I don't believe wearing a cloth mask will prevent a person from spreading or receiving Covid19. Maybe N95 or medical grade masks can but the majority that I see are basically a waste. But if it helps people to feel better go for it. Not a big deal.
Any reduction in the viral load you're exposed to can make a difference. So even "useless" cloth masks could prevent a death.

However, IMO if a maskless jogger offends you the jogger probably isn't the asshole - if you don't understand why, then do some more reading and then try running a mile with a mask on. There's simply not enough exposure in that scenario. Stay the fuck at home if you have a problem with people exercising to stay healthy.

Now if you're walking 3 feet behind another walker, then change your route. Even if there's a decent breeze, I'd probably just change my route. Much easier than shitting my pants and boiling my blood.
I jog 3.5 miles every other day in an urban environment. I do not wear a mask because I do not want to collapse onto the pavement or stroke out. Catching Covid 19 from a jogger is supremely unlikely, but I admit to giving walkers right of way and always give 6 feet out of courtesy. It's not hard.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:41 pm
I jog 3.5 miles every other day in an urban environment. I do not wear a mask because I do not want to collapse onto the pavement or stroke out. Catching Covid 19 from a jogger is supremely unlikely, but I admit to giving walkers right of way and always give 6 feet out of courtesy. It's not hard.
I try to bicycle 40 mi./week (usually don't make it). I wear a mask and only put it up in slow 2-way situations, though I'm certain I don't really need to. If it helps put some people at ease I'm fine with that. 95% of the time the mask is down, even in NYC.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:32 pm

El Kabong wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:00 am
I'm not sure there are any minds left to be changed one way or the other. With the constant misinformation pro and con pouring out people have pretty much made up their own minds. It's not a big deal but I only wear masks when it is necessary because of mandates, store policy or can't maintain a safe distance. Otherwise I just stay home or by myself. I don't believe wearing a cloth mask will prevent a person from spreading or receiving Covid19. Maybe N95 or medical grade masks can but the majority that I see are basically a waste. But if it helps people to feel better go for it. Not a big deal.
I saw an article at one point suggesting that even if we completely opened the economy, if everyone just wore cloth masks it would reduce COVID exposures. Count me as a believer in cloth masks.
--Voltaire

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:41 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 am

I do the same. Not usually hard to give others a wide berth when running.
--Voltaire

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Please wear your maks when running in an urban environment. You leave a plume 10-15 feet behind you that can even linger in the air for a while. I play football for 3 hours in an N99 mask AND I rode 19 miles on a bike yesterday wearing one. You get used to it and it's not going to make you pass out. It's not even especially hard. P.S.: I'm also older than you and you're probably in better shape.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:42 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:13 pm
Please wear your maks when running in an urban environment. You leave a plume 10-15 feet behind you that can even linger in the air for a while. I play football for 3 hours in an N99 mask AND I rode 19 miles on a bike yesterday wearing one. You get used to it and it's not going to make you pass out. It's not even especially hard. P.S.: I'm also older than you and you're probably in better shape.
Maybe. I ran myself into what I'm guessing is a micro-stress fracture in my right hip. Very lame. I have not been able to run for two weeks while I wait for the pain to be full gone. Meanwhile, I tried rowing 6 miles every day on my Frank Underwood stationary instead, but my back rebelled. :( I'm def not old, but I'm def not young anymore either.

I'll give the mask a shot B2B! I really assumed that I could not possibly be a danger to anyone if I stayed 6 feet away. In fact, I have been jogging in the street instead of the sidewalk.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:42 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:13 pm
Maybe. I ran myself into what I'm guessing is a micro-stress fracture in my right hip. Very lame. I have not been able to run for two weeks while I wait for the pain to be full gone. Meanwhile, I tried rowing 6 miles every day on my Frank Underwood stationary instead, but my back rebelled. :( I'm def not old, but I'm def not young anymore either.

I'll give the mask a shot B2B! I really assumed that I could not possibly be a danger to anyone if I stayed 6 feet away. In fact, I have been jogging in the street instead of the sidewalk.
https://bgr.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus- ... istancing/

Post by 955876 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:45 pm

not old, but I'm def not young anymore either.
Know that feeling. And it sucks.

Was playing Spyglass Hill little over two weeks ago. Was encouraged to walk as the course was trying to limit the amount of carts they would have to clean.

I didn’t mind the walk and have actually been trying to walk more when golfing to not waste the opportunity to get additional exercise.

If anyone has also played Spyglass it isn’t the easiest of courses to walk. Tee boxes & greens not close to each other and the way the course is laid out seems like you are always walking up hill.

Well, walking up a steep hill to 3rd tee something pops really bad in back of leg. Sends me to ground. Literally could not fully straighten leg after that. Felt like something would snap if leg extended.

Dunno if a hammy pull, high ankle sprain or what. Was behind and slightly below knee.

Put a damper on the day but did gimp around and finish round. Next several days couldn’t walk.

Better now but still can’t push it.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:07 pm

I was hiking the other day when I smelled that musky fragrance. I stopped and looked back and saw I had just walked past a copperhead. It didn't seem to be agitated (for which I feel so grateful for).
Good thing I had my mask with me.
Just kidding about the mask. Out in the woods I carry one but don't wear it. But in tight quarters with foot traffic around I'll wear one.
When on my walks about town, I'm constantly side stepping and going off sidewalks to keep my distance. Some of the looks people give.

Runners, look up coronavirus/slipstream(not Star Trek Voyager). Runners breath can extend far beyond 12 feet.

About getting older, it sucks.
The other day I was putting in a nice stint of shadow boxing. Fifteen minutes in, something in my elbow 'popped' and for the past few days I can't straighten out my left arm. Happened before and it took a month before I could resume my routine.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:19 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Runners, look up coronavirus/slipstream(not Star Trek Voyager). Runners breath can extend far beyond 12 feet.
According to the link B2B posted above it can be up to 66 feet. That is how crazy this virus can spread.

"Walkers, runners, and cyclists should maintain large distances between one another — up to 66 feet in some cases — to avoid spreading the virus to one another." BGR.com
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:19 pm
According to the link B2B posted above it can be up to 66 feet. That is how crazy this virus can spread.

"Walkers, runners, and cyclists should maintain large distances between one another — up to 66 feet in some cases — to avoid spreading the virus to one another." BGR.com
But that study is not taking length of exposure, or load, into account. Being outside, with a breeze, is going to disperse it much more than being indoors with air that isn't circulating much. The study indicates you should be cautious about continually walking/running/biking in someone's "airspace". Running 6 feet behind another runner isn't all that different than sitting behind someone at a stadium for half an hour.

They came out and said spread on airplanes is actually unlikely because the air is completely exchanged every few minutes. That should tell you you are extremely unlikely to catch it just because you cross paths with someone for a few seconds.

You only need a mask outdoors if you're standing around a group of people, like at a rally or sporting event. Because in that scenario you're breathing the germs around you for hours.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:32 pm

But that study is not taking length of exposure, or load, into account. Being outside, with a breeze, is going to disperse it much more than being indoors with air that isn't circulating much. The study indicates you should be cautious about continually walking/running/biking in someone's "airspace". Running 6 feet behind another runner isn't all that different than sitting behind someone at a stadium for half an hour.

They came out and said spread on airplanes is actually unlikely because the air is completely exchanged every few minutes. That should tell you you are extremely unlikely to catch it just because you cross paths with someone for a few seconds.

You only need a mask outdoors if you're standing around a group of people, like at a rally or sporting event. Because in that scenario you're breathing the germs around you for hours.
Exactly.

It's generally better to be outdoors than indoors.

I have never been overly concerned about catching it even though I have taken measures to try to avoid it. Chances are slim of something terrible happening if you catch it.

Be smart, keep your immune system up, pay attention to your body and you will probably be ok.

It has always been understandable to me why people want to continue their vocation to provide for themselves and their families thru all of this. This is not the plague that hit the middle ages.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Havoc wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:10 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Exactly.

It's generally better to be outdoors than indoors.

I have never been overly concerned about catching it even though I have taken measures to try to avoid it. Chances are slim of something terrible happening if you catch it.

Be smart, keep your immune system up, pay attention to your body and you will probably be ok.

It has always been understandable to me why people want to continue their vocation to provide for themselves and their families thru all of this. This is not the plague that hit the middle ages, but some have always acted like it is.
If everyone treated it like it was the black plague from the get go, we would probably have been finished with all the horseshit by Memorial Day.

The forensic analysis of this whole chapter in our country's history will not be kind....death and wealth transfer will be the chapters.

The biggest culprit in this whole mess has been the fork in the messaging...the flu versus plague division served zero purpose to put CV19 into the history books and started the whole political divide on a fucking pandemic.

It was either done out of ignorance or evilness...those are the two choices, none of which are inspiring.

Sure it was fine to vacillate from flu to plague or vice versa as we learned, but Jesus Christ get together on the messaging and ensure the messaging aligns with evidence. What a fucking joke.

I happened to watch the Black Death course on Amazon while it was free....just a professor giving a history lesson/lecture about the plague during the middle ages. Was pretty amazing time period and only saw the first 3 episodes before they went back to not free. It is a lecture not a documentary.

The big take away from it though...was not that we are in battle of capitalism versus socialism today...we are in a battle to try to get back to feudalism. The only thing missing is a movement of folks going to the clergy.

And Havoc not picking on your post...I agree with everything you say...I worked at the my office during this whole shit show...60% salary...then 80% and finally back to 100%.

Feudalism....who knew.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Lake, check out the book Justinian's Flea. A fine read.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:08 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 pm
If everyone treated it like it was the black plague from the get go, we would probably have been finished with all the horseshit by Memorial Day.

The forensic analysis of this whole chapter in our country's history will not be kind....death and wealth transfer will be the chapters.

The biggest culprit in this whole mess has been the fork in the messaging...the flu versus plague division served zero purpose to put CV19 into the history books and started the whole political divide on a fucking pandemic.

It was either done out of ignorance or evilness...those are the two choices, none of which are inspiring.

Sure it was fine to vacillate from flu to plague or vice versa as we learned, but Jesus Christ get together on the messaging and ensure the messaging aligns with evidence. What a fucking joke.

I happened to watch the Black Death course on Amazon while it was free....just a professor giving a history lesson/lecture about the plague during the middle ages. Was pretty amazing time period and only saw the first 3 episodes before they went back to not free. It is a lecture not a documentary.

The big take away from it though...was not that we are in battle of capitalism versus socialism today...we are in a battle to try to get back to feudalism. The only thing missing is a movement of folks going to the clergy.

And Havoc not picking on your post...I agree with everything you say...I worked at the my office during this whole shit show...60% salary...then 80% and finally back to 100%.

Feudalism....who knew.
Yes, especially the bolded. But I'm surprised you and your post hasn't been attacked yet - or removed. Reports in NYC are that now the demographic that is being hit is the 18 - 35 age group, in affluent neighborhoods in brooklyn and manhattan. And BTW, a 27 year old woman was discharged from the hospital after 3 fucking months due to C19. This virus sometimes is like playing russian roulette. Yeah. You might be fine if you get it, but maybe you won't. Even if you are healthy.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:13 am

Agree with above. What's the big fucking deal about wearing one. I've been around quite a few people that have had it, but with my work I wear a n95. Knock on wood I never get sick, but I sure as fuck dont want to see what happens if I do get it. Don't be a toothless hillbilly moutain dew drinking dumb fuck that I see not wearing one. It wont hurt.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 am

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:08 pm
This virus sometimes is like playing russian roulette. Yeah. You might be fine if you get it, but maybe you won't. Even if you are healthy.
For the under 50, otherwise healthy crowd that's pretty much exactly the case with the flu. The flu also kills healthy young people every year.

We shouldn't beat people over the head as "anti-science" and then ignore the actual science.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:42 pm

The CDC estimates that as many as 56,000 people die from the flu or flu-like illness each year. So far, we are at 141,000 for a little over 5 months. The flu also doesn't usually cause blood clots, kidney damage, kawasaki disease, and strokes. The flu doesn't cause healthy 27 year olds to be on a ventilator for months.

So no. It's not pretty much exactly like the flu.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Post by 955876 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:21 pm

What's the big fucking deal about wearing one.
Ive been wearing mine when going out. Better question, what’s with the people I see wearing them while driving alone in their car?

I don’t get it.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:14 am

955876 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:21 pm
What's the big fucking deal about wearing one.
Ive been wearing mine when going out. Better question, what’s with the people I see wearing them while driving alone in their car?

I don’t get it.
If you're an Uber driver on duty or someone who transports an eldery/at-risk person, you have to wear the mask all day in the car. What, are you gonna breathe shit into your car all day and then pick up a passenger in your viral load infested car interior?

Post by 955876 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:32 am

I’m not talking about Uber drivers. Just regular people driving with their mask on while alone in car.

It’s a bit odd.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:59 am

955876 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:32 am
I’m not talking about Uber drivers. Just regular people driving with their mask on while alone in car.

It’s a bit odd.
I agree. I see several every day to and from work. Cracks me up.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic