AB Retires

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
punum123

AB Retires

Post by punum123 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Per his Twitter account. I say we’ve not heard the last of him....what say you?!?

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:54 pm

He is playing 4D chess :D
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 pm

His narcissistic itch must have flared up. Attention grabbing moment. He isn't done unless the league blackballs him.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Yup, not enough people talking about him.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Man! Whether he ever plays again or not, what a sad and frustrating story. What could he have accomplished if he hadn’t been CRAZY!?!?

I believe he suffered some serious head trauma on that his from Burflict. He was never the same after that.

punum123

Post by punum123 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:50 pm

Just like the scene in A Bronx Tale....Sonny laying in the casket...wasted talent....damn!

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm

AB Retires

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 am

The first name change is imminent.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:22 am

Brown and Martavis should have been the best duo in the league for years. Damn shame.

Add JuJu to that and oh, what could have been...
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:32 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 am
The first name change is imminent.
"The receiver formerly known as AB"?

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:16 pm

Great! He was working out with Jackson and Brady and Wilson and now he's retired? The common denominator in all those instances is all those teams have young stud WRs.

I think that AB realizes that he was in a sweet spot in Pittsburgh. Why play if its not getting you a ring or a jacket?

This is how do you mess up a sure-fire HOF career without being injured- being insane.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:50 pm

I’d bet a dollar to a donut that the guy is going to make the HoF...and I’m going to go out on a limb and say that winning a ring didn’t/doesn’t fall in to his top 5. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:16 pm
Great! He was working out with Jackson and Brady and Wilson and now he's retired? The common denominator in all those instances is all those teams have young stud WRs.

I think that AB realizes that he was in a sweet spot in Pittsburgh. Why play if its not getting you a ring or a jacket?

This is how do you mess up a sure-fire HOF career without being injured- being insane.
Agreed.

His mindset it appears was never about winning championships which is very different from accumulating RS numbers.

The most glaring example is the NBA where so much of what happens in the RS is meaningless BS, a lot of which does not translate to the higher league (the post season).
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:08 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:22 am
Brown and Martavis should have been the best duo in the league for years. Damn shame.

Add JuJu to that and oh, what could have been...
Right, although IMO many overrate the talent of Bryant.

I think it's fair to compare Martivis to Mike Wallace in terms of talent level. Either paired with AB could have been special, then add that 3rd guy and we could have seen something that translated to the post season at a historically great level.

But we didn't. Pro sports is littered with what could have potentially been.

It takes so much to build a champion, so much of the right ingredients. Very difficult to do, hope we see it again before Ben is done.

P.S. The between the legs catch by Bryant is overrated, he created the difficulty due to lack of hand eye coordination but good for him to make the recovery which was progress at that point all of which does not matter now.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:50 pm
I’d bet a dollar to a donut that the guy is going to make the HoF...and I’m going to go out on a limb and say that winning a ring didn’t/doesn’t fall in to his top 5. :lol:
I'd watch just for the speech.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:23 pm

I have to give Tomlin credit for handling this mental midget pretty well for quite a few years and being that the guy very possibly could have ended his career as the greatest receiver in NFL history, his downfall is beyond tragic.

As for Bryant, the guy also had all world abilities but according to many when the Steelers drafted Martavis, he was dumb as a post.

He proved that in no time flat during his short stay in Pittsburgh. What a fucking tandem they could have been.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:16 pm
Jobu wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:50 pm
I'd watch just for the speech.
OMG...l never thought of that! Can you imagine... :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:18 pm

You could wait, induct him posthumously, and he'd crawl out of the grave for a live mic on television.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:18 pm
You could wait, induct him posthumously, and he'd crawl out of the grave for a live mic on television.
I'd guess AB has already spent like $5M on a hologram to give that speech.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Havoc wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 pm
VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:16 pm

Agreed.

His mindset it appears was never about winning championships which is very different from accumulating RS numbers.

The most glaring example is the NBA where so much of what happens in the RS is meaningless BS, a lot of which does not translate to the higher league (the post season).
I hate meaningless games and I hate the length of the regular season in the The NBA , MLB, and NHL. Im an out of market fan and I still dont want to see the Pirates 12 back in the standings doing a double switch during a last month game they are getting killed in. End the f-ing game.

All of them should reduce their season by half and use the second half to play a group style tournament like the World Cup. Only difference is the teams should play 5 games instead of 2. Quarters to the finals are seven games.

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:50 pm

An ignominious end to a stellar career.
The irony is he might have gotten that elusive ring if he would have just kept his mouth shut when NE signed him, not to mention a season like Randy Moss had there in '07.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 pm

McAfee seems to think that ABs latest “retirement” is an attention grab to promote his new Rap album. :lol:

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 pm
McAfee seems to think that ABs latest “retirement” is an attention grab to promote his new Rap album. :lol:
Gotta feel bad for anyone who listens to that.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:18 am

Ice wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:25 pm
Jobu wrote:
Stupid is a choice. Idiot is an uncontrollable behavior pattern. Both would describe persons that would listen to that. Can't say I'd feel bad for any of them. Self inflicted.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Jobu wrote:
Its funny but honestly he has shown no ability to be a rapper. It would be an insult to those who appreciate the music. Heres a joke to explain what's going on
A man in Scotland calls his son in London the day before Christmas Eve and says,“I hate to ruin your day but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough.” 'Dad, what are you talking about?' the son screams. “We can't stand the sight of each other any longer” the father says. “We're sick of each other and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Leeds and tell her.” Franticly, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. “Like hell they're getting divorced!” she shouts, “I'll take care of this!” She calls Scotland immediately, and screams at her father “You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow.Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?” and hangs up. The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. 'Sorted! They're coming for Christmas - and they're paying their own way.'

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:50 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:16 pm
Jobu wrote:
Its funny but honestly he has shown no ability to be a rapper. It would be an insult to those who appreciate the music. Heres a joke to explain what's going on
A man in Scotland calls his son in London the day before Christmas Eve and says,“I hate to ruin your day but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough.” 'Dad, what are you talking about?' the son screams. “We can't stand the sight of each other any longer” the father says. “We're sick of each other and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Leeds and tell her.” Franticly, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. “Like hell they're getting divorced!” she shouts, “I'll take care of this!” She calls Scotland immediately, and screams at her father “You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow.Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?” and hangs up. The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. 'Sorted! They're coming for Christmas - and they're paying their own way.'
Funny story, Veritas!

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:16 pm
Jobu wrote:
:lol: Nice!

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:18 am
Ice wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:25 pm
Jobu wrote:
Stupid is a choice. Idiot is an uncontrollable behavior pattern. Both would describe persons that would listen to that. Can't say I'd feel bad for any of them. Self inflicted.
"Stupid is a Choice: The Antonio Brown Story, next week on 30 for 30, on ESPN2."

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Well, it again seems his retirement did not last long (2 days!) as he has asked the NFL to conclude their investigations of him so he can sign with a team. His accountant probably called him told him he is almost broke!

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:52 pm

alancac98 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:16 pm
Well, it again seems his retirement did not last long (2 days!) as he has asked the NFL to conclude their investigations of him so he can sign with a team. His accountant probably called him told him he is almost broke!
AB has Kanye West level bipolar mental health problems.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic