And It Begins... Players Opting Out

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
COR-TEN

Re: And It Begins... Players Opting Out

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Humans are flawed. Some are flawed more than others.

It doesn't surprise me that some players will be either idiots or simply be ignorant based on ideology, so shutting games/ teams down should be factored in how sports seasons progress. They should have, and probably did account for a percentage of humanity that won't follow rules, and will act like assholes. Or simply make mistakes.

In the end the NFL and players want to make money. It appears some think a one year hiatus is not going to affect their bank account.
Last edited by COR-TEN on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:31 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 pm
Humans a flawed. Some are flawed more than others.

It doesn't surprise me that some players will be either idiots or simply be ignorant based on ideology, so shutting games/ teams down should be factored in how sports seasons progress. They should have, and probably did account for a percentage of humanity that won't follow rules, and will act like assholes. Or simply make mistakes.

In the end the NFL and players want to make money. It appears some think a one year hiatus is not going to affect their bank account.
Well put

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Players only have until Aug. 3rd to decide to opt out. I would expect most have already made that decision, but I'm sure we'll see some more. Not some massive wave, but looks like it could end-up around 40-50.

I'm surprised coaches and other personnel haven't opted out. Andy Reid probably has the highest risk in the league.

But, yeah, looking at MLB the NFL might not even make it to the first game. I think you need daily testing, and they probably should have done some sort of weekly quarantine. 10 guys go to a restaurant or bar, and your team ends-up forfeiting two games.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:15 pm

Captain Catchphrase strikes again for the NFL

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-st ... l-all-fail

If the NFL goes with a one failed test and the team is "grounded" then this will be a short season
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 pm

I have a feeling Tomlin may really distinguish himself as a leader this year. He hits the nail on the head - selfish behavior off the field will put the whole team at risk.

Also, I don't know how you can ban a team for one fail. The whole point of the protocols is to catch that person BEFORE they risk infecting the team.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm

If the reports are accurate, 16 Marlins have tested positive. Not another single player in MLB has tested positive, and supposedly they are being tested every day. Someone, or someones on the Marlins fucked up.

One has to wonder if at least some of the NFL players that are opting out are doing so because they can’t or won’t follow the protocols put in place.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Jobu wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm
If the reports are accurate, 16 Marlins have tested positive. Not another single player in MLB has tested positive, and supposedly they are being tested every day. Someone, or someones on the Marlins fucked up.

One has to wonder if at least some of the NFL players that are opting out are doing so because they can’t or won’t follow the protocols put in place.
all it takes is one stripper not showing symptoms and the whole team is....fucked..... 8-) :lol:
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:54 pm

Honestly, wouldn't Tampa players be at the highest risk, based on strippers per capita?
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:54 pm
Honestly, wouldn't Tampa players be at the highest risk, based on strippers per capita?
tampa miami new orleans atlanta philadelphia las vegas nyc la .....would be my top bets....lol.....but .....travelin ya know ? 8-) :lol:
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:39 pm

My enduring impression of Tampa, Florida was "Jesus, that was a lot of strip clubs." All of the other cities mentioned have at least a few other distinguishing features.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 am

Jobu wrote:

2 staff members on the Phillies tested positive. Games canceled this weekend until they know more.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:13 am

Jobu wrote:
Most seem to be very marginal players, so one wonders how much the guaranteed money played into their decision. Especially if you're only playing for the paycheck, and not because you love playing.

I mean, if I was Switzer I'd be all over opting out - $0 vs. $150k......hmmmm, don't need to be Joshua Dobbs to do that math :lol:

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:22 pm

CJ Mosley opted out today.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:08 am

SteelPro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:22 pm
CJ Mosley opted out today.
Why would you not opt out of the Jets. They are going nowhere fast. He got that fat money contract already.

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:35 pm

If CFB tries to press forward with its season, I suspect you'll see a lot of the top college players opt out.

If you're someone like Ja'marr Chase, you're going top 10 anyway on the strength of your 2019 season. You risk more by playing this season than you gain even without covid. Covid gives cover.

It'll be interesting to see what players like Lawrence and Fields would do. I imagine play, given they were so close to a title last year, but I don't think it's a given.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Marcus Gilbert opting out. Now he doesn't have to get injured to keep from actually playing.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 pm

UConn football opts out.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Micah Parsons is reported to opt out for this coming CFB season and declare for the 2021 NFL draft.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:29 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:42 pm
Marcus Gilbert opting out. Now he doesn't have to get injured to keep from actually playing.
Ha! List I saw had only a handful of players opting out for medical/high-risk reasons.

Florio - so, grain of salt - reported that some agents were using it as leverage to try to renegotiate deals/extensions.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:29 pm
RemoAZ wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:42 pm
Ha! List I saw had only a handful of players opting out for medical/high-risk reasons.

Florio - so, grain of salt - reported that some agents were using it as leverage to try to renegotiate deals/extensions.
GIlbert reported that he and members of his family are all high-risk and that's why he opted-out.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:27 pm

I don't think NO ONE should say anything negative about anyone acting out.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:32 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm
GIlbert reported that he and members of his family are all high-risk and that's why he opted-out.
Yes, Gilbert is on the "high-risk" list, along with all of 6 - SIX! - other players.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:34 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm not judging, merely stating a fact. Only 7 players have opted out because they have high risk factors.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:03 pm

its still there right especially since this thing could explode again in the fall. Guys could have other Factors no one knows about?

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:03 pm
Guys could have other Factors no one knows about?
Considering they get $200k more on the medical opt out list, I'm going to say no. They might have family members they don't want to put at risk, though.

But if there's no season, I'll bet a lot of players are going to regret not agreeing to a bubble once those paychecks stop coming. Goodell has had almost 6 months to come up with a good plan, and multiple back-up plans. But it's a safe bet he's as incompetent and unprepared as Manfred.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:34 pm
steelmann58 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm not judging, merely stating a fact. Only 7 players have opted out because they have high risk factors.
I saw that list on NFL.com too, but it is a bit misleading. They listed 3 sets of opt-outs: voluntary, high risk, undetermined. Yes, that list only had 7 high risk opt-outs. But 32 players were listed as undetermined. I believe many of those are either seeking high-risk approval/verification or HIPAA reasons prevent the league from listing them as such without the player’s approval.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 am

For those interested here is the list. Just my two cents, not sure how accurate the designation is. Star Lotulelei is listed as a voluntary opt-out but I’ve read he has a known heart defect that was discovered years ago during his medical evaluations at his rookie combine. Nate Solder is listed as undetermined yet he is a cancer survivor and has a child with cancer.

https://www.nfl.com/news/list-of-nfl-pl ... 020-season

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:32 am

66 Total players opting out is what heard was the final count. Steelers with zero players opting out.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm

I have a different view on this.

I have believed for months there will never be a magic vaccine that makes covid disappear and when we do get a vaccine it will be more placebo than effective (kind of like knowing there is a flu vaccine)

Depression releases toxins in the body. Toxins over time causes health problems, shortens life spans.

We have to start taking a different view on what success is. We have to expect patches of outbreaks and address them as they come up all while continuing to push thru and keep living as much as possible.

MLB had some issues... ok they are still playing. They might be able to finish and if they can that will be a great success.

Make adjustments for those in high risk, some might not be able to coach at all.

I'm done with the mostly isolation (except when I have had my son thru all of this) and I'm going to start getting out and doing more (which I already have)

Health is NOT about whether you have covid or not, cancer or not, the flu or not, whatever or not, health it's EVERYTHING that encompasses mental and emotional well being.

Living a passive life for a man is very destructive on health.

I went to a local haircut place this morning, first time since the pandemic. I got there when the doors opened. I wore a mask, the employees wore masks. I got the haircut, when finished I took a shot of hand sanitizer. I was the only patron there since I got there when their doors opened. Came home and took a shower. No problem. Continued working from home.

2 guys that own a small business, a health club, set up all their equipment outside which apparently is what they did for months with zero issues. Health starts with 1. What you consume. 2. Physical activity. Those guys are heroes, they acted responsibly and were doing a great service to the health in this country. Maggot politicians shut them down. This has to stop, this has to change and it's going to.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Havoc wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm
I have a different view on this.

I have believed for months there will never be a magic vaccine that makes covid disappear and when we do get a vaccine it will be more placebo than effective (kind of like knowing there is a flu vaccine)

Depression releases toxins in the body. Toxins over time causes health problems, shortens life spans.

We have to start taking a different view on what success is. We have to expect patches of outbreaks and address them as they come up all while continuing to push thru and keep living as much as possible.

MLB had some issues... ok they are still playing. They might be able to finish and if they can that will be a great success.

Make adjustments for those in high risk, some might not be able to coach at all.

I'm done with the mostly isolation (except when I have had my son thru all of this) and I'm going to start getting out and doing more (which I already have)

Health is NOT about whether you have covid or not, cancer or not, the flu or not, whatever or not, health it's EVERYTHING that encompasses mental and emotional well being.

Living a passive life for a man is very destructive on health.

I went to a local haircut place this morning, first time since the pandemic. I got there when the doors opened. I wore a mask, the employees wore masks. I got the haircut, when finished I took a shot of hand sanitizer. I was the only patron there since I got there when their doors opened. Came home and took a shower. No problem. Continued working from home.

2 guys that own a small business, a health club, set up all their equipment outside which apparently is what they did for months with zero issues. Health starts with 1. What you consume. 2. Physical activity. Those guys are heroes, they acted responsibly and were doing a great service to the health in this country. Maggot politicians shut them down. This has to stop, this has to change and it's going to.
You're not posting some radical manifesto, here. You're basically proclaiming that you're doing what the public health folks are telling us to do. Limit exposure. Wear a mask when you can't be six feet apart. It's the dumbfucks who are taking no measures and not wearing masks that are screwing us all. It's these dumb fucks that are causing spikes and subsequent lockdowns. Maggot politicians? Ok. Don't forget the maggot dumb fucks who think liberty means acting like a moron.

People who cannot well rule themselves need laws. Those who can rule themselves well do not. They are laws unto themselves.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic