What if there is no 2020 season?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
LakecrestSteeler

Re: What if there is no 2020 season?

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am

27 years old. MLB Pitcher. Myocarditis or inflammation of the heart. I have heard of several cases of this with CV19.

The Steelers used their Covid19/Quarantine status on Arrion Springs yesterday.

You have to wonder about your moxy getting stolen if you get CV19 as an NFLer. There would be a lot of shit running through your head after taking a medical trip down internet lane, and after having been poked and prodded by NFL doctors....am I out of shape or is this CV19....will I be the next Hank Gathers.

Just some food for thought as we wait on pins and needles for the Steelers to return and stay healthy!

MLB pitcher sidelined with myocarditis:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red- ... infection/

NBA very concerned with heart and lung issues:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... ung-issues

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am
27 years old. MLB Pitcher. Myocarditis or inflammation of the heart. I have heard of several cases of this with CV19.

The Steelers used their Covid19/Quarantine status on Arrion Springs yesterday.

You have to wonder about your moxy getting stolen if you get CV19 as an NFLer. There would be a lot of shit running through your head after taking a medical trip down internet lane, and after having been poked and prodded by NFL doctors....am I out of shape or is this CV19....will I be the next Hank Gathers.

Just some food for thought as we wait on pins and needles for the Steelers to return and stay healthy!

MLB pitcher sidelined with myocarditis:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red- ... infection/

NBA very concerned with heart and lung issues:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... ung-issues
Yeah, you don't normally see a whole lot of heart inflammation with the flu.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 am

Ominous news out of MLB...already talk of pulling the plug from the commish.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/295 ... atform=amp

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:00 pm

My friend in DC that had mini strokes as a result of covid 19 blood clots now has a heart monitor installed in his chest. He also takes blood thinners/ anti coagulants.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:18 pm

I think the likelihood that this NFL season is played in totality is slim to none. Doesn’t look like MLB is going to be able to finish. NFL has larger rosters and staff than was baseball has to manage. The bubble/ hub approach of the NBA and NHL can work, but trying to pull that off for more than 6 weeks seems completely unreasonable. I think baseball should cancel the season and do some sort of 6 week long wide open tournament in hub cities after the NBA and NHL finish up. Football though, I can’t imagine any sort of tournament experiment that could work for that.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Genuinely don't understand why any of these leagues think they'll make it through without a bubble.

If I were the NFL, here's what I would have done:

- 17 week schedule
- 14 game season.
- Two divisions are bubbled together (so, 4 bubbles).
- You play your own division x2 (6 games) and the other division in your bubble x2 (8 games).
- Playoffs begin two weeks after the final game is played in the 17 week schedule
- Two bubbles for the playoff teams (AFC/NFC)
- Players paid for a full 16 game season as compensation for bubbling. Breaking the bubble costs you those two game checks for a first offense, as well as sidelines you for two weeks.

The only thing is I don't know if there are four bubbles that could support 500+ players/staff, as well as host football games.

I see no way college goes forward.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:46 pm

Steelknife wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm
Genuinely don't understand why any of these leagues think they'll make it through without a bubble.

I think they're going to need to do testing every day. Every other day doesn't seem to be enough. I don't know why the NFL couldn't go into a 5-day bubble every week - two days off after the game (including film day remotely).

They should do the batch/group testing every morning before anyone is allowed in the facilities. I believe that can be done pretty quickly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Steelknife wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm

If I were the NFL, here's what I would have done:

- 17 week schedule
- 14 game season.
- Two divisions are bubbled together (so, 4 bubbles).
- You play your own division x2 (6 games) and the other division in your bubble x2 (8 games).
- Playoffs begin two weeks after the final game is played in the 17 week schedule
- Two bubbles for the playoff teams (AFC/NFC)
- Players paid for a full 16 game season as compensation for bubbling. Breaking the bubble costs you those two game checks for a first offense, as well as sidelines you for two weeks.

The only thing is I don't know if there are four bubbles that could support 500+ players/staff, as well as host football games.

I see no way college goes forward.
DC/Baltimore area has the facilities for a hub or bubble. There are a lot of stadiums in a forty mile area. FedEx field, Ravens stadium, UMD stadium, Naval Academy stadium, Towson to an extent & Catholic university has a field. You cannot have a real bubble for NFL though. Most places do not have enough hotels and fields for 8 NFL teams for the next 4 months.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:08 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm
Most places do not have enough hotels and fields for 8 NFL teams for the next 4 months.
I don't think hotels are exactly thriving at the moment. For 8 teams you're talking 800 hotel rooms. Most mid-size cities could easily handle that.

But I don't think you need to put multiple teams in a bubble. You can proceed like normal, normal travel and schedules. You just need to isolate the teams individually in their own towns. For air/bus travel you just also need to test and isolate those personnel around the relevant dates.

It's pretty simple - players take their test on Monday to get cleared (and continue to be tested every day), then show up Tuesday and everyone quarantines at a nearby hotel. Sunday after the game you get a few nights with your family.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:25 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:08 pm
stillthere wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm
Most places do not have enough hotels and fields for 8 NFL teams for the next 4 months.
I don't think hotels are exactly thriving at the moment. For 8 teams you're talking 800 hotel rooms. Most mid-size cities could easily handle that.

But I don't think you need to put multiple teams in a bubble. You can proceed like normal, normal travel and schedules. You just need to isolate the teams individually in their own towns. For air/bus travel you just also need to test and isolate those personnel around the relevant dates.

It's pretty simple - players take their test on Monday to get cleared (and continue to be tested every day), then show up Tuesday and everyone quarantines at a nearby hotel. Sunday after the game you get a few nights with your family.
Just do away with hotels altogether why take the risk. They already charter flights.

Fly and bus straight to the stadium and reverse it home.

If it is over a 3 hour flight, teams meet in the middle at neutral sight. Something like that. Same pilots and drivers every trip.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 pm

Not chance in hell CFB or the NFL put in anything close to a full season.....lol

America is opening up schools now.......there will be a huge C19 spike.....

right about the time America concedes they made an incredibly dumb and totally predictable mistake

C19 2.0 from the southern hemisphere will be hitting its stride.......

Make sure you have wills written.....tell your kids you love them....heal old wounds with people.....

Its over johnny....its over
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 pm
Not chance in hell CFB or the NFL put in anything close to a full season.....lol
Probably right, which begs the question, why not take a forced bye week every four weeks. If you have to cancel a game, just reschedule in the bye week. Cancel two AFC vs. NFC games and roll with a 14 game season and put the asterisk by the season.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 pm
Probably right, which begs the question, why not take a forced bye week every four weeks. If you have to cancel a game, just reschedule in the bye week. Cancel two AFC vs. NFC games and roll with a 14 game season and put the asterisk by the season.
Well, there's always the reality that NO season will cost the owners less money....

BouldernBun

Post by BouldernBun » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:23 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 pm

America is opening up schools now.......there will be a huge C19 spike.....

right about the time America concedes they made an incredibly dumb and totally predictable mistake

C19 2.0 from the southern hemisphere will be hitting its stride.......

Make sure you have wills written.....tell your kids you love them....heal old wounds with people.....

Its over johnny....its over
Agree with all the above SteelerDayTrader.. I have been reworking the will this weekend. Never the most uplifting exercise..Organizing the entire record collection for my heirs. I swear whenever I die if I look down, see a yard sale and all the vinyl records have .99 stickers on them I WILL RETURN! Lastly the ultimate thing to put off, writing your own obit. I have read the obituaries since I was in Jr High. My friends would come by or call "Hey Mike! What are you doing?" Mike.."Reading the obituaries.." It became a real joke in school. I always enjoy a good obituary. Most are the same old thing over and over (probably because of the fact that everyone in the obituaries has DIED) , but you almost always end up learning something about people and life. However every once in awhile you run across an obituary that is (intentionally) profoundly funny. Having been on lock down for the last 6 months with my mother and my wife, my sense of humor is wearing on both of them. But it has provided me a wealth of material that, hopefully, someone will appreciate if the worst were to happen. Having said all that do as SteelerDayTrader instructs..tell your kids you love them, heal old wounds with people and if I may add..Do something kind for a stranger. All stuff we should have been doing in the 1st place.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic