Matt Canada to be named OC

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Greeksteel

Matt Canada to be named OC

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
The #Steelers are finalizing a deal with Matt Canada to become their offensive coordinator, per source. Deal is considered imminent.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 pm
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
The #Steelers are finalizing a deal with Matt Canada to become their offensive coordinator, per source. Deal is considered imminent.
Stop me if you've heard this one before?

God speed, Matthew Canada. And tell Tomlin to fuck off when he comes snooping around your game planning.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

langer

Post by langer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Did they get him an his wife a gift card to Tequila Cowboy and Home Depot?
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:32 pm

"Hi, Matt, this is Kevin Colbert....yeah, as it turns out we were hoping to talk to a few other people but they're not interested....so the job is yours if you still want it. But you have to let me know soon because Fitchner has movers coming on Wednesday."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:32 pm
"Hi, Matt, this is Kevin Colbert....yeah, as it turns out we were hoping to talk to a few other people but they're not interested....so the job is yours if you still want it. But you have to let me know soon because Fitchner has movers coming on Wednesday."
Haha

SOCALSTEEL

Post by SOCALSTEEL » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:22 pm

Another nameless gray face coordinator for Coach T to fire after another late season melt dahn

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:58 pm

So is Matt Canada the next OC or is he out of the race?

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:58 pm
So is Matt Canada the next OC or is he out of the race?
Tweet says it is imminent.

May want to dump the news on the Friday before the Pro Bowl and Superbowl week starts so it doesn't see a news cycle.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:06 am

SOCALSTEEL wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Another nameless gray face coordinator for Coach T to fire after another late season melt dahn
Canada was coaching at Pitt in 2016, and since they share facilities with PIT, that's how Tomlin got to know him. Also, Tomlin's son Dino committed to Maryland back in 2018, a week after Canada had been named interim coach there.

So Tomlin hires a QB coach he already knew and was comfortable with, but I'm sure only after an exhaustive and extensive search to find the right guy. And then, well shit, we have a new OC opening....let me start a search....[looks around room]....DONE!

I mean, it sure seems like Tomlin is even lazy when it comes to hiring staff. You're going to kind of suck at hiring people when you stay in the very shallow pool of people you already know and are comfortable with.

W&M_Steeler

Post by W&M_Steeler » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:23 am

Will the Steelers be hiring Ron Mexico to replace Canada as QB coach?

steelheadtrout

Post by steelheadtrout » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 am

I say hire Josh Dobbs as QB coach.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:00 am

They need to hire a quality Qb coach with Canada being a New OC should have Duel responsibility. Now go get the best OL coach out there.
Last edited by steelmann58 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:00 am

steelheadtrout wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 am
I say hire Josh Dobbs as QB coach.
Guy has been the smartest person in the building for like 3 or 4 ish years.

None of my previous statement has anything to do with football - but in general I am <- how do I misspell correct -> wright.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:49 am

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:32 pm
"Hi, Matt, this is Kevin Colbert....yeah, as it turns out we were hoping to talk to a few other people but they're not interested....so the job is yours if you still want it. ..."
Certainly feels that way.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:30 am

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:06 am
SOCALSTEEL wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Canada was coaching at Pitt in 2016, and since they share facilities with PIT, that's how Tomlin got to know him. Also, Tomlin's son Dino committed to Maryland back in 2018, a week after Canada had been named interim coach there.

So Tomlin hires a QB coach he already knew and was comfortable with, but I'm sure only after an exhaustive and extensive search to find the right guy. And then, well shit, we have a new OC opening....let me start a search....[looks around room]....DONE!

I mean, it sure seems like Tomlin is even lazy when it comes to hiring staff. You're going to kind of suck at hiring people when you stay in the very shallow pool of people you already know and are comfortable with.
All of this but replace Tomlin with Rooney-Tomlin-Colbert. This is how they operated for assistants before Tomlin and how they’ll do it afterwards. You think Tomlin was the only one who got to know the Pitt staff?
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

langer

Post by langer » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:26 pm

"I mean, it sure seems like Tomlin is even lazy when it comes to hiring staff. "

Shocking that a coach for life would take advantage of it.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:10 pm

So Matt Canada hired one of his buddies from college to be Quality Control coach.

Really glad to see PIT looking far and wide for coaching talent.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:35 pm

I have no problem with him (Canada) getting the Steelers to bring on somebody who Matt has worked with in college. Having a quality control assistant who knows Matt's offensive schemes and philosophy? Isn't that a good thing??

Likewise, Canada has another buddy from college already on staff, RB coach Eddie Faulkner, Canada was the OC from 2013-2015 at NC State. So, they worked together for 3 years, but it is actually deeper than that. They were both at Northern Illinois (2011) and at Wisconsin (2012).

So, Canada and Faulkner have 5 years of college experience together, and 1 year of NFL experience together and now they are about to enter the 2021 season in a very familiar role of OC /RB coach. Who knows, maybe when they hired Eddie they also always had Canada in the back of their mind too.

I had speculated when Canada was hired last year that this was the plan, that he would replace Fitchner. I am a firm believer that if you go all in on a young coaching prospect then you should let him pick his assistants, or at least have greater input in the hiring process. So, Canada probably pushed for Tomsho.

Again, though isn't this a good thing? Can somebody tell me who our previous Quality Control offensive assistant was and/or if we ever really had anybody doing any analysis of our offense, our tendencies, etc??

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm

Scunge wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:35 pm
I have no problem with him (Canada) getting the Steelers to bring on somebody who Matt has worked with in college. Having a quality control assistant who knows Matt's offensive schemes and philosophy? Isn't that a good thing??

Likewise, Canada has another buddy from college already on staff, RB coach Eddie Faulkner, Canada was the OC from 2013-2015 at NC State. So, they worked together for 3 years, but it is actually deeper than that. They were both at Northern Illinois (2011) and at Wisconsin (2012).

So, Canada and Faulkner have 5 years of college experience together, and 1 year of NFL experience together and now they are about to enter the 2021 season in a very familiar role of OC /RB coach. Who knows, maybe when they hired Eddie they also always had Canada in the back of their mind too.

I had speculated when Canada was hired last year that this was the plan, that he would replace Fitchner. I am a firm believer that if you go all in on a young coaching prospect then you should let him pick his assistants, or at least have greater input in the hiring process. So, Canada probably pushed for Tomsho.

Again, though isn't this a good thing? Can somebody tell me who our previous Quality Control offensive assistant was and/or if we ever really had anybody doing any analysis of our offense, our tendencies, etc??
It is a good thing Scunge. I’ve never understood the idea that guys that have a good relationship...a good working relationship, is bad. Coaches having a friendship, past work history, similar strategies, does not make them bad coaches or bad hires.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Scunge wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:35 pm
If you want a crappy coaching staff, let people hire their buddies. They'll get along great while they collectively suck at the task at hand.

Hire the best people for the job. Being buddies is way, way down the list of qualification.

Also, on the smallest coaching staff and lowest payroll in the league, we shouldn't be hiring people who aren't going to do anything (if that was the case with the last QC). This organization is incompetent.

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:26 pm

If you want someone to come in, take ownership of something and work pretty independently (e.g., OC where you plan to just focus on defense/ST), there 100% look for the best track record available.

If you want someone to come in and help you with something, and you plan to be working with them directly, ‘having demonstrated they can work with you’ is a pretty relevant part of the resume. I mean, I don’t have any idea how you objectively rate Quality Control assistants. Does PFF rate them maybe? How controlled was our quality last season?

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:40 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:26 pm
If you want someone to come in, take ownership of something and work pretty independently (e.g., OC where you plan to just focus on defense/ST), there 100% look for the best track record available.
That's why they have these things called interviews.

Did Canada even have interviews for this position, or did he simply give a job to a buddy? As I've said repeatedly, if you want to ensure mediocrity limit your hiring pool as much as possible.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:53 pm
If you want a crappy coaching staff, let people hire their buddies. They'll get along great while they collectively suck at the task at hand.

Hire the best people for the job. Being buddies is way, way down the list of qualification.

Also, on the smallest coaching staff and lowest payroll in the league, we shouldn't be hiring people who aren't going to do anything (if that was the case with the last QC). This organization is incompetent.
Ravens Defensive Coordinator Don Martindale was John Harbaugh's replacement at the University of Cincinnati. He then went on to coach at Western Kentucky under.......John's father Jack.

Ravens Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman was an offensive assistant for the Ravens back in 06-07. He then worked on Jim Harbaugh's staff at both Stanford and in SF. After being let go, he served as OC for former Raven's coordinator Rex Ryan in Buffalo.

Over in Tampa, Defensive Coordinator Todd Bowles coached with Bruce Arians in Cleveland between 2001-2003. Leftwich played under Arians for 3 seasons in Pittsburgh.

In Kansas City, Eric Bieniemy played for Andy Reid in his first year with the Eagles. Steve Spagnolo was a defensive position coach under Jim Johnson/Andy Reid in Philly for 7 seasons.

Coordinators having relationships with head coaches prior to being hired is the norm, not the exception.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:11 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:40 pm
Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:26 pm
That's why they have these things called interviews.

Did Canada even have interviews for this position, or did he simply give a job to a buddy? As I've said repeatedly, if you want to ensure mediocrity limit your hiring pool as much as possible.
I seriously doubt that Canada hired the new quality control coach. I would think hiring on to the coaching staff would fall under the head coaches job description.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:43 am

Jobu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:11 pm
I seriously doubt that Canada hired the new quality control coach. I would think hiring on to the coaching staff would fall under the head coaches job description.
I'm sure Tomlin interviewed the guy and signed off. But I'd suspect it was the only interview Tomlin conducted for the position.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 am

Kodiak wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:43 am
Jobu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:11 pm
I'm sure Tomlin interviewed the guy and signed off. But I'd suspect it was the only interview Tomlin conducted for the position.
That’s possible. But it’s also possible that they believe this guy was the best for the job. Maybe?
Ehhh...probably not.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:03 am

Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 am
But it’s also possible that they believe this guy was the best for the job. Maybe?
Without interviewing anyone else?

A guy with no coaching tree continues to run a rather incestual hiring process.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 am

Kodiak wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:03 am
Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 am
But it’s also possible that they believe this guy was the best for the job. Maybe?
Without interviewing anyone else?

A guy with no coaching tree continues to run a rather incestual hiring process.
Maybe I missed it, but who said they didn’t interview anyone else?

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:10 am

Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:08 am
Maybe I missed it, but who said they didn’t interview anyone else?
There is no known evidence for the argument.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:07 am

Pabst wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:54 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Ravens Defensive Coordinator Don Martindale was John Harbaugh's replacement at the University of Cincinnati. He then went on to coach at Western Kentucky under.......John's father Jack.

Ravens Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman was an offensive assistant for the Ravens back in 06-07. He then worked on Jim Harbaugh's staff at both Stanford and in SF. After being let go, he served as OC for former Raven's coordinator Rex Ryan in Buffalo.

Over in Tampa, Defensive Coordinator Todd Bowles coached with Bruce Arians in Cleveland between 2001-2003. Leftwich played under Arians for 3 seasons in Pittsburgh.

In Kansas City, Eric Bieniemy played for Andy Reid in his first year with the Eagles. Steve Spagnolo was a defensive position coach under Jim Johnson/Andy Reid in Philly for 7 seasons.

Coordinators having relationships with head coaches prior to being hired is the norm, not the exception.
Totally agree with you Pabst. I was just about to list the examples that you mentioned. This is who Arians had on his coaching staff as well, Antwan Randle El, offensive assistant, Tom Moore, offensive consultant, Larry Foote, Outside Linebackers, all former Steelers.

I get that Kodiak is jaded because Tomlin, Fitchner and Butler were 'buddies' that had college connections but just because Tomlin's buddies are/were mediocre NFL coaches does not mean that Canada's buddies will have the same outcome.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic