Arians talks about dismissal from Pittsburgh...yep, you guessed right

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Minkah'n Big Plays

Arians talks about dismissal from Pittsburgh...yep, you guessed right

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:57 pm

Per Trib Live:

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call- ... ree-agent/

I guess Art And Tomlin wanted Haley and Ben to fight, just like OC and QB should, riiiight?

Don't want coaches getting too close to their franchise QB.

They couldn't have tweaked the O a little bit? I know Ben was slangin' it with BA, wasn't protected too much, extending play after play.

langer

Post by langer » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Hmm, could it be that Tomlin sets people up t fail as a form of protecting his gig...

The NFL isn't immune from stupid corporate politics. The Standard is the Standard.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm

So I guess the Steelers should of kept Ben's other buddy Randy as well?

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Well, to everyone who wanted William Jackson III in the draft a few years back, the article has a silver lining.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Also Arians confirmed that Brady doesnt throw on Wednesdays as per the QBs request.

And Gronk also takes weds completely off.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm
Also Arians confirmed that Brady doesnt throw on Wednesdays as per the QBs request.

Oh noooo...

Fucking slackers. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Post by 955876 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm

I wonder if Brady gets any mental prep in those Wednesdays he doesn’t throw.

My $$$ says yea.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Bruce Arians on Loyalty to Players: “Got fired in Pittsburgh because I was too loyal to Ben Roethlisberger. If that’s a problem, you’ve got the problem. I don’t have a problem. I get very close to my quarterbacks.”

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 pm
Greeksteel wrote:

Oh noooo...

Fucking slackers. :lol:
You can't win a SB with vet days off!!! What are they doing down there in Tampa?!?!

On Gronk....

He's the best friend any QB has ever had in the SB era. An important cog in the Brady wheel of success.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:57 pm
Per Trib Live:

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call- ... ree-agent/

I guess Art And Tomlin wanted Haley and Ben to fight, just like OC and QB should, riiiight?

Don't want coaches getting too close to their franchise QB.

They couldn't have tweaked the O a little bit? I know Ben was slangin' it with BA, wasn't protected too much, extending play after play.
Went to the SB 2x with Arians, 0x since they "tweaked" the offense. Despite major upgrades on OL, and All-Pro WR & RB. Sacks are way down, though.

I think Perch hit it on the head, like, 2013 or so: Ben and the Steelers would have been better served letting Ben play the way he was succeeding––even if for a shorter career––vs. 'prolonging his career but taking away part of what made him great. To Ben's credit, he got great at playing the game the way they wanted him to do, but might he be retired 2 years ago but with another ring on his finger?
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Greeksteel wrote:

and THAT is why they'll never win another Super Bowl under Arians... oh, wait. :shock:

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:38 pm

I’m sure that’s how he would like to remember it.

What i remember is being the World’s Last Bruce Arians Defender through most of the awful 2011 offensive season, and when i jumped ship it kind of felt like jumping off the Titanic when it was already on the bottom of the ocean.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, believed his offenses were massively underperforming and demanded his head.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 pm

He's naturally really glossing it over. Fired because he was too loyal to Ben? :?:

He got fired because he had a HOF QB in his prime and his offense was struggling to score more than 3 or 6 points in the first half of games, and just failing to score in general. Seem familiar? Like that Tebow playoff game where we were down 20-6 at halftime with 6 points in 7 first half possessions.

We finished that year 21st in scoring at 20.3 points per game (for reference, we averaged a little over 19 PPG last year with Mason/Duck in the 15 games they mostly played). Ben had 21 TDs to 14 INTs and 9 fumbles. More INTs and fumbles than TDs. We were 17th in red zone scoring, same as we were the prior year in 2010. That team was getting ready to go through a mini-rebuild, same as this coming year. Score more TDs and he would've been golden.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Until Ben stops throwing INTs and fumbling the ball in January, then he practices on Wednesday. End of story.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:17 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 pm
He's naturally really glossing it over. Fired because he was too loyal to Ben? :?:

He got fired because he had a HOF QB in his prime and his offense was struggling to score more than 3 or 6 points in the first half of games, and just failing to score in general. Seem familiar? Like that Tebow playoff game where we were down 20-6 at halftime with 6 points in 7 first half possessions.

We finished that year 21st in scoring at 20.3 points per game (for reference, we averaged a little over 19 PPG last year with Mason/Duck in the 15 games they mostly played). Ben had 21 TDs to 14 INTs and 9 fumbles. More INTs and fumbles than TDs. We were 17th in red zone scoring, same as we were the prior year in 2010. That team was getting ready to go through a mini-rebuild, same as this coming year. Score more TDs and he would've been golden.
Yeah.....Steelers were 29th that year in turnover differential, and they were 4th in TOs per drive. As you mentioned they were 21st in scoring, and also were 16th in yards. The Steelers' O only cracked the top 10 once during the 5 years he was OC.

I agree with Mick - I remember this board wanting him gone. Really wish we could go back and read this boards reaction from that time.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm
So I guess the Steelers should of kept Ben's other buddy Randy as well?
Big difference between the two: Arians is a lot better coach

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm
Until Ben stops throwing INTs and fumbling the ball in January, then he practices on Wednesday. End of story.
13 TD to 9 INT and 1 fumble in his last 7 playoff games, including 4 without either his #1 RB or #1 WR or both.

Russell Wilson's last 7? 12 TD 7 INT 1 fumble

Tom Brady's last 7 playoff games?
11 TD, 7 INT, 3 fumbles.

Patrick Mahomes 6 fumbles in last 7 playoff games!

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:49 pm

I know i never wanted Arians gone. Nor did i ever want to turn him into Peyton fucking Manning, i was always along the lines of let Ben be Ben, thats what made him great. I also remember a mind boggling narrative of how negative it was that he was close to Arians, that he needed a Haley, to demand change in him. In the end it BS then and its all BS now, and hey those that were on that side of the fence got what they wanted, a peyton manning dink and dunker, along with the playoff losses.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm

My $$$ says yea.
Do you think that Ben isn’t?
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 pm
955876 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm

My $$$ says yea.
Do you think that Ben isn’t?
No, of course not, because Ben is lazy, overpaid and responsible for everything that's wrong with the city of Pittsburgh. There's potholes on Murray Hill Avenue he could be fixing, every single Wednesday. Should probably be coaching up the offensive line, scouting potential draft prospects at all five positions and cloning Franco Harris using recombinant DNA to fix the running game, as well. Slacker.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm
13 TD to 9 INT and 1 fumble in his last 7 playoff games, including 4 without either his #1 RB or #1 WR or both.

Russell Wilson's last 7? 12 TD 7 INT 1 fumble

Tom Brady's last 7 playoff games?
11 TD, 7 INT, 3 fumbles.

Gotta take away three of those Brady INTs because they were against Green Bay and you swore to me those were just punts, B2B! 8-)
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:27 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 pm
He lost exactly zero of those.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Ben isn’t Brady or Mahomes. He’s Ben and he needs to protect the ball or we will lose. We don’t have any leeway anymore.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:40 am

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
Exactly. Ownership wanted him to teach Ben to get rid of the ball faster to prolong his career. Arians refused to change his offense at all. That's why he's gotten so many QBs killed. Ben had some of his best years under Haley and Haley sucked at game day play calling. The reason they won SBs early in Ben's career and haven't since is because he had a running game and GREAT defense in those SBs. He's had neither until the defense finally came back to life last season. Now that the D started to play well, of course they have zero running game and completely neutered the passing attack. But at least we've only had one head coach through all of that and no sub .500 seasons. That's all that matters.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

tunch

Post by tunch » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 am

Kodiak wrote:

Exactly. He's a great OC if you have a top-5 offensive line.

I don't understand the arguments against protecting your QB and for letting "Ben be Ben." There's a time and a place for that. If that's the only offense you can run then you get Andrew Luck's career.

It was very clear that Brady deBruce'd the offense as the season went along.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am

tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 am
Kodiak wrote:

I don't understand the arguments against protecting your QB and for letting "Ben be Ben." There's a time and a place for that. If that's the only offense you can run then you get Andrew Luck's career.

That’s what makes a good coach. Playing to the strength
If you’re team and players.
Not sticking to a bullshit identity and forcing your stars away from what made them your stars, and bringing in ideas to “put them in their place”.

tunch

Post by tunch » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:34 am

Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am
tunch wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

Not sticking to a bullshit identity and forcing your stars away from what made them your stars, and bringing in ideas to “put them in their place”.
Then why did Brady start the season running seven-step drops and getting hammered?

Bruce only knows one song. Brady's possibly the only player that has the cachet to tell his coach to go kick rocks and then run the shit he wants to run.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:53 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 pm
Ben isn’t Brady or Mahomes. He’s Ben and he needs to protect the ball or we will lose. We don’t have any leeway anymore.
In a way, you make the argument for the opposite of what you are intending. Ben isn't Brady or Mahomes; he makes mistakes and wins. When Brady makes mistakes he more often loses. I think I might trust Ben to make more mistakes and still win. He's at his worst when he's trying to be careful.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 am

tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:34 am
Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am
tunch wrote:

Then why did Brady start the season running seven-step drops and getting hammered?

Bruce only knows one song. Brady's possibly the only player that has the cachet to tell his coach to go kick rocks and then run the shit he wants to run.
You’re absolutely right...What the fuck was I thinking?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic