A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Orangesteel

Re: Arians talks about dismissal from Pittsburgh...yep, you guessed right

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:49 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:53 am
Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 pm
Ben isn’t Brady or Mahomes. He’s Ben and he needs to protect the ball or we will lose. We don’t have any leeway anymore.
In a way, you make the argument for the opposite of what you are intending. Ben isn't Brady or Mahomes; he makes mistakes and wins. When Brady makes mistakes he more often loses. I think I might trust Ben to make more mistakes and still win. He's at his worst when he's trying to be careful.
You can call it being careful, shying away from the gunslinger type that we saw in 05’, yada yada.

He doesn’t move like he used to. Whether it is the brass that neutered him, or whether he changed his own style to prolong his NFL career, it doesn’t really matter to me.

A QB like Ben cannot turn the ball over and win games in the playoffs. He maybe could at one point, but whether it is him personally or this shitbag coach he plays for, we turn the ball over as we have been doing the last few goes at this, we lose.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:51 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:49 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:53 am
Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 pm
Ben isn’t Brady or Mahomes. He’s Ben and he needs to protect the ball or we will lose. We don’t have any leeway anymore.
In a way, you make the argument for the opposite of what you are intending. Ben isn't Brady or Mahomes; he makes mistakes and wins. When Brady makes mistakes he more often loses. I think I might trust Ben to make more mistakes and still win. He's at his worst when he's trying to be careful.
You can call it being careful, shying away from the gunslinger type that we saw in 05’, yada yada.

He doesn’t move like he used to. Whether it is the brass that neutered him, or whether he changed his own style to prolong his NFL career, it doesn’t really matter to me.

A QB like Ben cannot turn the ball over and win games in the playoffs. He maybe could at one point, but whether it is him personally or this shitbag coach he plays for, we turn the ball over as we have been doing the last few goes at this, we lose.
Weren't particularly loose with the football in the two playoff games prior to this year... but, for sure, the defense has been way below the line in creating turnovers. So, if what you mean is: "since the D isn't going to get any turnovers of its own AND if the D can't be counted on to step up once in a while and keep the other team out of the end zone after any turnover, the Steelers O cannot win if they turn it over even a couple times" then I'm inclined to agree with you.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Mick

Post by Mick » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:46 pm

The 2016 and 2017 (post shazier injury) defenses just weren’t good. And in general, teams aren’t going to turn the ball over in the postseason unless they fall behind, so the failures on offense in those games mattered from that perspective.

Not sure why you would have expected the 2016 D to have carried us to a W vs. that Patriots team. Only reason we imagined we had a chance was the all-pros we had on O.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Mick wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:46 pm
The 2016 and 2017 (post shazier injury) defenses just weren’t good. And in general, teams aren’t going to turn the ball over in the postseason unless they fall behind, so the failures on offense in those games mattered from that perspective.

Not sure why you would have expected the 2016 D to have carried us to a W vs. that Patriots team. Only reason we imagined we had a chance was the all-pros we had on O.
Except for we didn't have all of them. Bell came in less than 100%, tapped out after 9 snaps, tried to play on the next series, left after two more snaps. IIRC, AB was also banged up and finished with 7 for 77 of the most useless yards ever gained. Jesse James, David Johnson, Cobi Hamilton, Eli Rogers, Sammie Coates, End-career Deangelo Williams... yoi and double yoi. And the defense that had their worst postseason performance in EPA, going all the way back to at least 1993.

Mick

Post by Mick » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:45 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:23 pm
Mick wrote:

Except for we didn't have all of them. Bell came in less than 100%, tapped out after 9 snaps, tried to play on the next series, left after two more snaps. IIRC, AB was also banged up and finished with 7 for 77 of the most useless yards ever gained. Jesse James, David Johnson, Cobi Hamilton, Eli Rogers, Sammie Coates, End-career Deangelo Williams... yoi and double yoi. And the defense that had their worst postseason performance in EPA, going all the way back to at least 1993.
i don’t disagree. without Bell, I’m not sure how to look at that roster and imagine we had a chance in that game.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:31 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:40 am
...But at least we've only had one head coach through all of that and no sub .500 seasons. That's all that matters.
I like you :lol: :lol:

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 pm

And in general, teams aren’t going to turn the ball over in the postseason unless they fall behind
Fall behind or simply have the winged God of centers start the game with a snap not even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar could have snatched out of the sky.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm

955876 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 pm
And in general, teams aren’t going to turn the ball over in the postseason unless they fall behind
Fall behind or simply have the winged God of centers start the game with a snap not even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar could have snatched out of the sky.
That this was a problem all season (actually going back a season and a half) and was never fixed really burns me up.

But maybe it couldn’t be fixed because Pouncey was that worried about getting up and into his blocks.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:04 pm

tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 am
Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
Exactly. He's a great OC if you have a top-5 offensive line.

I don't understand the arguments against protecting your QB and for letting "Ben be Ben." There's a time and a place for that. If that's the only offense you can run then you get Andrew Luck's career.

It was very clear that Brady deBruce'd the offense as the season went along.
I distinctly remember Tomlin being challenged about fixing the offensive line back then, and he argued that if you increased the amount of offensive weapons Ben would have, the O-Line wouldn't be as big an issue.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mick wrote:

In spite of all the injuries and underwhelming players, the Steelers still created an opportunity to seize control of that game early in the second half. But the Patriots brass, the refs and all things New England at the time drove the narrative.

Qtr 3 Remaining 11:43 Down 3 To Go 1 NWE 45 Tom Brady middle for 2 yards (tackle by Lawrence Timmons ) Pit 9 NE 17
PIT challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was upheld.

There was no good reason why this was not ruled a fumble and the ball was not awarded to the Steelers. The Timmons hit absolutely forced a fumble, Hargrave clearly came out of the pile with the ball.

Sequence begins at about 1:06.00 into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbodN0lKHrg

Were there any remaining air in the Pittsburgh balloon for that game, it was all gone after that play.
Carolina:
2.33 Payton Wilson, MLB, NC St.
2.39 Jalen McMillan, WR, Wash
3.65 Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
4.101 Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame
5.141 Matt Lee, C, Miami
5.142 Jalyx Hunt, Hybrid S/LB/Edge, Houston Christian
7.240 Judge Culpepper, DL, Toledo

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:33 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Except for we didn't have all of them. Bell came in less than 100%, tapped out after 9 snaps, tried to play on the next series, left after two more snaps.
Oh man, was that the year Tombert never bothered to find a capable backup for Bell? I think they grabbed some guy off the street because all we had was a rookie who didn't touch the ball all year.

Our unluckiness in the playoffs is where the other team's opportunity met Tomlin's lack of preparation.
Last edited by Kodiak on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:38 am

Do not l7mo me in with others - I did not want arians gone.

Arians like most all coaches has some negatives but he is a far far better coach than mike Tomlin. More creative and not beholden to his risk averse fears ... Steelers made a mistake letting him go

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:59 am

I don't know, just throwing out some turnovers by other teams QBs doesn't absolve just how shitty Ben has been in his last 10 playoff games.

He is 3-7 in those last 10 playoff games, and often times Ben is chiefly responsible for putting this team and his defense behind the eight ball. Context is everything.

Okay, in the loss in the Super Bowl to Green Bay.

Down 7-0, Ben throws an interception, a Pick Six, it is returned 37 yards for a TD, Green Bay up 14-0, this is at the 3:20 mark of the first quarter.
Down 14-3 Ben throws another interception at midfield, Rodgers is able to start at the GB 47 yard line. Working with a short field, a field goal is a high possibility but GB scores a TD, Steelers are now down 21-3 at the 2:31 mark of the second quarter.

In the loss to Denver.

Down 14-6 to Denver, we are at our own Pittsburgh 14 yard line, Ben throws an interception and it is returned to the 18 yard of Pitt. The defense holds and Tebow and Denver have to settle for a FG, we are now down 17-6. This is at the 7:30 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

What does Ben do next? As we get the ball back? First and 10 at the Steelers 20 yard line, Ben throws an interception at the Pitt 35 yard line but we luck out and a defensive offsides is called on Dumervil.

We end up stalling on this drive rather quickly and punt from the Steelers 32 and Denver drives and kicks another FG, we are now down 20-6 with a 1:05 left in the 2nd quarter.

So, okay, 1:05 and two timeouts, enough time to kick a field goal, right? Surely Ben can do that, right? Nope, with 39 seconds left and at the Denver 32 yard line, on 3rd and 4, Ben fumbles and it is recovered by Heath Miller at the Steelers 45 yard line. Obviously out of FG range now, Steelers punt, end of half down 20-6.

In the loss to Baltimore. We are playing from behind the whole game, but there we are at the middle of the 4th quarter, 8:10 mark on 3rd and 4 at our own 26 yard line, the score is 23-15, and Ben throws an interception to Suggs who returns it to the Pitt 21 yard line.

Joe Flacco and the offense are able to come out with a super short field and score a TD making it 30-15. Ben then throws another interception with 3:04 on the clock while at the Ravens 14 yard line. Meh.

The loss to NE. Ben only had 1 interception this game and it came with the game really over and not in question. But damn, it is the same old story, his interception was nearly the most sinful. The worst is when you obviously throw a Pick Six, the INT is returned for a TD. But nearly as bad, in second place, is when you throw an INT from your side of the field, when the opposing team's offense can come out and start deep in your own territory. The offense was at the Pitt 35 yard line, Ben throws a pick and it is returned and Brady is able to come out and start the drive at the Steelers 32 yard line.

In the loss to Jax.

We are down 7-0 to the Jags. It is at the 5:38 mark of the 1st quarter. We are at our own 10 yard line, it is 3rd and 11. Ben throws an Int to Myles Jack at the Steelers 18 yard line. Jags offense takes the field and score a TD, making it 14-0.

Down 21-7, Ben and the offense are at midfield. Yannick Ngakoue sacks Ben and forces a fumble and Telvin Smith returns it for a TD. We are now down 28-7.

I don't want to hear about Ben throwing for 469 yards in this game, it is these bullshit turnovers that lead to these cheap TDs by the opposing team, these easy short fields, pick sixes, fumble returns, etc, and us falling so far behind early in games as the driving force of us being 3-7 in our last 10 games. Ben is not playing up to par.

In this last loss against Cleveland. Yes, Pouncey snaps the ball overhead and it is recovered by the Browns for a TD. What does Ben do to get us back in the game? At the10:53 mark of the 1st quarter Ben throws an INT which is returned to the Steelers 46 yard line. Baker comes out and they are able to score a TD we are now down 14-0.

We are down 21-0 at the 3:33 mark of the first quarter. Yes, being down by 3 TDs is really awful, but there is still a lot of time left. What does Ben do as we are at the Steelers 26 yard line? Why he throws another INT that is returned to the Steelers 15 yard line. Baker and company are able to easily score a TD and the score is now 28-0 and effective over.

Again, you have people go but, but, but...

...but Ben threw for 501 yards and 4 TDs. For all the good that did. It is the early turnovers in games, the INTs that are setting up these ridiculous short fields that are spelling our doom in these playoff losses.

So those of you pointing out the Russell Wilsons and Tom Brady's etc, do they routinely put their respective teams in a hole early in games? Do they effectively spot the other team a 2-3 TD lead? Are they their own defense's worst enemy?

blu

Post by blu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:04 pm

Scunge wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:59 am
I don't know, just throwing out some turnovers by other teams QBs doesn't absolve just how shitty Ben has been in his last 10 playoff games.

He is 3-7 in those last 10 playoff games, and often times Ben is chiefly responsible for putting this team and his defense behind the eight ball. Context is everything.

Down 7-0, Ben throws an interception, a Pick Six, it is returned 37 yards for a TD, Green Bay up 14-0, this is at the 3:20 mark of the first quarter.
Down 14-3 Ben throws another interception at midfield, Rodgers is able to start at the GB 47 yard line. Working with a short field, a field goal is a high possibility but GB scores a TD, Steelers are now down 21-3 at the 2:31 mark of the second quarter.

In the loss to Denver.

Down 14-6 to Denver, we are at our own Pittsburgh 14 yard line, Ben throws an interception and it is returned to the 18 yard of Pitt. The defense holds and Tebow and Denver have to settle for a FG, we are now down 17-6. This is at the 7:30 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

What does Ben do next? As we get the ball back? First and 10 at the Steelers 20 yard line, Ben throws an interception at the Pitt 35 yard line but we luck out and a defensive offsides is called on Dumervil.

We end up stalling on this drive rather quickly and punt from the Steelers 32 and Denver drives and kicks another FG, we are now down 20-6 with a 1:05 left in the 2nd quarter.

So, okay, 1:05 and two timeouts, enough time to kick a field goal, right? Surely Ben can do that, right? Nope, with 39 seconds left and at the Denver 32 yard line, on 3rd and 4, Ben fumbles and it is recovered by Heath Miller at the Steelers 45 yard line. Obviously out of FG range now, Steelers punt, end of half down 20-6.

In the loss to Baltimore. We are playing from behind the whole game, but there we are at the middle of the 4th quarter, 8:10 mark on 3rd and 4 at our own 26 yard line, the score is 23-15, and Ben throws an interception to Suggs who returns it to the Pitt 21 yard line.

Joe Flacco and the offense are able to come out with a super short field and score a TD making it 30-15. Ben then throws another interception with 3:04 on the clock while at the Ravens 14 yard line. Meh.

The loss to NE. Ben only had 1 interception this game and it came with the game really over and not in question. But damn, it is the same old story, his interception was nearly the most sinful. The worst is when you obviously throw a Pick Six, the INT is returned for a TD. But nearly as bad, in second place, is when you throw an INT from your side of the field, when the opposing team's offense can come out and start deep in your own territory. The offense was at the Pitt 35 yard line, Ben throws a pick and it is returned and Brady is able to come out and start the drive at the Steelers 32 yard line.

In the loss to Jax.

We are down 7-0 to the Jags. It is at the 5:38 mark of the 1st quarter. We are at our own 10 yard line, it is 3rd and 11. Ben throws an Int to Myles Jack at the Steelers 18 yard line. Jags offense takes the field and score a TD, making it 14-0.

Down 21-7, Ben and the offense are at midfield. Yannick Ngakoue sacks Ben and forces a fumble and Telvin Smith returns it for a TD. We are now down 28-7.

I don't want to hear about Ben throwing for 469 yards in this game, it is these bullshit turnovers that lead to these cheap TDs by the opposing team, these easy short fields, pick sixes, fumble returns, etc, and us falling so far behind early in games as the driving force of us being 3-7 in our last 10 games. Ben is not playing up to par.

In this last loss against Cleveland. Yes, Pouncey snaps the ball overhead and it is recovered by the Browns for a TD. What does Ben do to get us back in the game? At the10:53 mark of the 1st quarter Ben throws an INT which is returned to the Steelers 46 yard line. Baker comes out and they are able to score a TD we are now down 14-0.

We are down 21-0 at the 3:33 mark of the first quarter. Yes, being down by 3 TDs is really awful, but there is still a lot of time left. What does Ben do as we are at the Steelers 26 yard line? Why he throws another INT that is returned to the Steelers 15 yard line. Baker and company are able to easily score a TD and the score is now 28-0 and effective over.

...but Ben threw for 501 yards and 4 TDs. For all the good that did. It is the early turnovers in games, the INTs that are setting up these ridiculous short fields that are spelling our doom in these playoff losses.

So those of you pointing out the Russell Wilsons and Tom Brady's etc, do they routinely put their respective teams in a hole early in games? Do they effectively spot the other team a 2-3 TD lead? Are they their own defense's worst enemy?
Reality sucks.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Wilson lost the MVP race this year with turnovers. Brady was lucky the defense bailed him out after his 3 picks in the NFCCG, or he wouldn't be suffering from a 5 alarm avocado vodka hangover two days after the parade.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:58 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:33 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Except for we didn't have all of them. Bell came in less than 100%, tapped out after 9 snaps, tried to play on the next series, left after two more snaps.
Oh man, was that the year Tombert never bothered to find a capable backup for Bell? I think they grabbed some guy off the street because all we had was a rookie who didn't touch the ball all year.

Our unluckiness in the playoffs is where the other team's opportunity met Tomlin's lack of preparation.
No that was 2014 when we had Blount, but he was angry at the lack of carries.

When he was released, there were a couple options to bring in to replace him...we didn’t.

Then Bell got hurt in the season finale...and we got rolled by Baltimore in the first round.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:03 pm

Scunge wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:59 am

In the loss to Denver.

In the loss to Jax.

Scunge wins. This x1000. I’m a massive Ben fan and want him back next year, but the reality is he hasn’t been good/great in the playoffs in who knows how long. It indeed sucks.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:17 pm

There will come a time, likely within the next couple years, when many of the posters in this thread will probably give a pinky finger for "not great in the playoffs for a couple years" at QB. This thread will not age well. Caveat emptor.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:03 pm
Scunge wins. This x1000. I’m a massive Ben fan and want him back next year, but the reality is he hasn’t been good/great in the playoffs in who knows how long. It indeed sucks.
Last 7 playoff games
190/290 2273yds 13 TD ,9INT, 91.4rating, 65.52%, 7.84 YPA

yeah, he hasn't been good/great for who knows how long

Do you guys think maybe your sense of entitlement gets in the way of enjoying football?

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:34 pm

jeemie wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:58 pm
Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

When he was released, there were a couple options to bring in to replace him...we didn’t.

Then Bell got hurt in the season finale...and we got rolled by Baltimore in the first round.
In which I recall both of us remarking on Ben playing less than stellar ball...
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:36 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Last 7 playoff games

Do you guys think maybe your sense of entitlement gets in the way of enjoying football?
Depends on how much pleasure one derives from bitching. :lol:
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm

B2B, you don’t think that Ben has been responsible AT ALL for the playoff failures? I’m not laying the blame solely on him. I’m saying he’s been part of the suck; after all isn’t it about winning? You keep throwing stats out there but stats are for losers. And we’ve been losing.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Mark Madden
@MarkMaddenX
·
1m
I don't think Ben is coming back.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 pm

He’d be a complete loon to not come back. That loss to the Browns is how he wants to cement his legacy? I don’t believe it.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 pm
He’d be a complete loon to not come back. That loss to the Browns is how he wants to cement his legacy? I don’t believe it.
same here, i dont think hes leaving with that loss in an empty stadium

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:29 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Last 7 playoff games

How many of those yards and TDs came when the Steelers were already in a huge hole, B2B?

He threw for 469 yards against Jax and 501 against Cleveland.

You’re going to tell me you think those were great games by him?

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Tomlin only got Brady’d twice. He got Ben’d like 8 times.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm
B2B, you don’t think that Ben has been responsible AT ALL for the playoff failures? I’m not laying the blame solely on him. I’m saying he’s been part of the suck; after all isn’t it about winning? You keep throwing stats out there but stats are for losers. And we’ve been losing.
You know how after a while a team and the players take on the feel of the coach. Well there you have it.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:36 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 pm
Do you think Brett Favre wanted this to be his last game? Getting blasted with a concussion in a game the Vikes lost 40-14?

You think Dan Marino likes it that his last game was on the short end of a 62-7 shellacking by Jacksonville where he went 11-25 for 95 yards, 1 TD, 2 picks and 2 sacks?

We don’t always get what we want.

Post by 955876 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:40 pm

jeemie wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:58 pm
Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Ahh fond memories of the 2014 season. Missing some juicy details though.

We needed to add RB depth going into the 2014 draft. But that is when Tombert decided to get cute and draft a 142 lb peewee that at best would be a part time compliment to a complete offense. In no way did that midget project to being able to be a starter or really even fill in as a spot starter.

If loaded elsewhere you can take a flier on a guy like that. We were not however and when you take a RB in the 3rd you had better do so with the expectation that 3rd rounder came give you a start.

So we take the wee bitty widget while a few picks later the Falcons take an actual back in Devonte Freeman.

Blount gets sent packing in Nov and Bell went down at seasons end.

So we pull an out of league Ben Tate off his couch to share the load with would be HOFer Josh Harris.

Meanwhile, our fully healthy 3rd round rookie “RB” gets 1 touch for like -1 yards.

Baltimore kicks our ass.

Blount goes on to win the SB with the Pats. And while his stats were meager that day, his rushing totals by himself were only like 3 yards less than we got out of Tate, Harris, and Dri Archer combined.

I’ve long said that Tomlin creates his own adversity by having a severe lack of foresight.

Use that 3rd round pick in an actual RB and you would not have been having to pull a stiff off his couch at the last minute all the while you’ve got a kid with fresh wheels riding pine because he’s way too damn small to play the position.

Genius
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic