Pouncey(s) Retirement Official

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Pouncey(s) Retirement Official

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:07 pm

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2021 ... alysis-fdl

Center Maurkice Pouncey is making it official. Pouncey annouced his retirement after 11 seasons with the Steelers. His twin brother, Mike, also announced his retirement.

Mike Pouncey played 10 NFL seasons with the Dolphins and Chargers.

A nine-time Pro Bowl player, Maurkice Pouncey was named first-team All-Pro three times and second-team twice. He also was a member of the NFL's all-decade team for the 2010s, an award that is voted on by the selection committee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:09 pm

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2021 ... ent-fdl-tr
HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn. -- As I sat down at my laptop, I chose to put my phone in Do Not Disturb mode. It’s a nice option when you don’t want the buzz and commotion of the outside world distracting you from an important task.

I can think of few tasks more important today than choosing the right words to show my appreciation for your career and what you have meant to the Steelers' organization, Maurkice Pouncey. As your brother from another mother, I'm honored you selected me to announce your retirement after 11 seasons, which included nine Pro Bowls and a spot on the Pro Football Hall of Fame's All-Decade Team.

Not gonna lie, No. 53, I'm getting choked up just typing my thoughts. You waited a month to make your decision final, but we saw you sitting on the bench with Ben after that last game against the Browns, and we all felt a stab of emotion. Two black-and-gold legends sitting side by side. Ain't it funny how time slips away?

The brotherhood inside a locker room is sacred. When guys retire they often say they miss the game, but they miss the interaction with teammates even more. It's the barbershop for jocks. You can't find antics and togetherness like that anywhere else. The friendly bets, the heated conversations, the arguments over whose college is better. For 11 years, nobody in that room made our culture stronger than you, 53. You embodied the characteristics of Pittsburgh and the grit of the organization.

You made five trips to the playoffs and took your place in a distinguished line of Steelers' centers from Mike Webster to Dermontti Dawson to Jeff Hartings. It’s a position that demands a smart and quick-thinking individual. You essentially became a field general right along with Ben Roethlisberger. Every play starts with the center touching the ball, controlling the snap count and communicating with everyone from the head coach to the quarterback to the offensive coordinator. It’s not a position for the weak or fragile.

For No. 53, it was always team first. Even if it meant taking a suspension that night in Cleveland to stand up for Mason Rudolph against Myles Garrett.

The day you walked into the locker room in 2010 as the No. 18 overall pick, you won us over. I remember that first year when we were having OTAs on the South Side and our position coach, Sean Kugler, said to us after practice, “you guys are doing good, great, honestly.” He raised his hand to his nose to signify what level we were at. Then, Coach Kugler added, “but Maurkice is here,” raising his hand above his head. You remained at that level for your entire career, earning two first-team All-Pro nominations in a league that included Nick Mangold, Rodney Hudson, Jason Kelce and Alex Mack.

It was never enough for you to just get the job done. Your effort demanded we all try to rise to your level. One time, I illegally hit an Eagles' defensive player in the back of the legs because I didn’t want to get caught not hustling to the ball during a preseason game. It was worth the fine because I wanted to prove I belonged on the same field, on the same offensive line.

Even when injury robbed you of almost the entire 2013 season, you were always there for us. In the training room, in the team meetings. That's how much it meant to you. Most guys would have elected to go home and enjoy their days after rehab, but you stayed all afternoon to make sure the job got done.

Fans don't realize you could have lost a leg. You endured multiple operations so you could be ready for the next season. The training staff with John Norwig, Jon Andino, Sonya Ruef, Daveon Lee helped nurse you back to health. You challenged them along with the team physicians like Dr. Jim Bradley, Dr. Anthony Yates and Dr. Joseph Maroon. You put in all that work while keeping it light and delivering smiles and memories. It's the kind of behind-the-scenes stuff the average person cannot appreciate.

When this past season ended, you and I had a brief conversation through a series of text messages. I wanted you to know what everyone in the organization thinks about you. You are a damn warrior. It was an emotional chat in which you expressed some feelings.

You mentioned your daughters growing up right in front of your eyes and losing out on some time with them. Those girls had you looking at life decisions differently. Made you consider the little things like surprising them by picking them up at school. The game takes so much from you on a daily basis, it leaves you feeling selfish about the time you take away from the ones you love. Even though you know they understand, it still doesn’t make it better.

You mentioned losing your off-season workout partner, your twin brother Mike, who's also retiring. The ability to train solo during the summer takes a lot out of you mentally. The grind to push through and still not know if you’re training at a high level because you have no one to prod you and gauge your progress.

I let you know you had to take care of yourself first. The ability to walk away from such a violent sport after playing it since the age of 5 is a blessing. No one will ever question the manhood of No. 53, who served the franchise so honorably for more than a decade. You gave so much of yourself to so many through your performance and your charitable work in Lakeland, Fla., and Pennsylvania, to say nothing of attending youth football camps run by your teammates throughout the country.

You were such an influential person during an era of Steelers' football. While it might not have included a seventh Super Bowl, you left the culture and locker room in a better place. So I say, "well done" as you move onto another avenue in your life. You're one of the best to wear a Steelers' uniform, 53.

Canton awaits you some day, and I'm glad to call you a true friend. You will be known as a football player because of the profession you dominated, but your legacy includes all the people whose lives you impacted from undrafted free agents to Ambassador Dan Rooney.

Happy retirement, Maurkice Pouncey.

stairway 2 seven

Post by stairway 2 seven » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:27 pm

It was time. Thanks for your efforts (and cap savings) Pounce'. O line desperately needs some young talent to take over.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:39 pm

That is a pretty powerful piece of writing by Ramon.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:45 pm

Great Steeler and an awesome career. He carried on the tradition from Webster, Dawson, and Hartings.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

punum123

Post by punum123 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm

Agree - thank u 53....as a player...and knowing when to say when...

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:52 pm

“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:14 pm

It sucks he was never able to get a ring. Should be a HOFer some day. It was the right time for him to retire and helps the cap situation.
Redskins Draft:
Marvin Harrison, Jr., WR, Ohio State
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Thank you for your service and enjoy your life's work, Pounce. You were a great Steeler.

It's a very thin draft class at Center.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Thank you for your service.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Not sure where I read it, but someone argued one of the biggest problems with the Steelers offense this past year was Fichtner's insistence on using Pouncey as if he were still 25 and healthy. There were so many examples of Pouncey pulling and just not getting there in time.

Regardless, he had a great career, and hopefully he makes it to Canton one day.

rooneytunes

Post by rooneytunes » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:36 pm

Thank you too Pouncey for a great Steelers career. Even though you got injured in 2010 AFCC game and were not able to play in the Super Bowl two weeks later, you were a big reason the Steelers won their 8th AFC Championship that year and you did it in your rookie year even.

Webster, Dawson, Hartings, Pouncey.

That is pretty damn impressive.

Also you wailing on idiot Garrett will be something all Steelers fans remember.

Hats off to you sir.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm going to remember the good things about Pouncey, especially last season when, as Ramon Foster describes above, he stood up for Mason Rudolph against Miles Garrett. That's a great teammate right there. Good luck with your life's work, Maurkice! At the very least, you'll be in the Steelers Hall of Fame.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:38 pm

Pouncey and Dawson...two great Steelers who definitely put the blood and sweat equity in, were a part of some great teams and should have gotten a ring,
I'm going to choose to forgive the "Save Hernandez" t-shirt incident and the atrocity that was his last game at Heinz. I will remember him as a guy who provided years of stability and high-level play at the position, fighting back from multiple knee injuries to be a part of some great OL line ups.
Pretty cool that he's retiring at the same time as his brother, too.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:41 pm

Obviously wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:37 pm
I'm going to remember the good things about Pouncey, especially last season when, as Ramon Foster describes above, he stood up for Mason Rudolph against Miles Garrett. That's a great teammate right there. Good luck with your life's work, Maurkice! At the very least, you'll be in the Steelers Hall of Fame.
One other memory of Pouncey that needs to be mentioned was when the asswipe AB and other so-called ex-teammates were coming out against Ben in the media, Maurkice and Ramon Foster let it be know to those knuckleheads that all locker room talk should be steered to them to discuss instead of making it public. I appreciate what he and Foster did then. Again, that's a real teammate and a real LEADER.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Thanks MP for being a great Steeler.
Glad you walked away when you did.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:52 pm

Creed

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:55 pm

The loss of another great one. God bless you and your family, and thanks for being a great Steeler.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:09 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:20 pm
Thank you for your service and enjoy your life's work, Pounce. You were a great Steeler.

I don't think there's a great center in this class from what I've seen.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:10 pm

Pouncey was a warrior for this team, I wont let his late slide change my view of that. He also recovered from many injures over his career - I remember when Decastro accidentally took out his knee 8 years ago for a season ender. He came back strong from that.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:52 pm

You know, we all knew this was coming, but now that it’s official...I’m kinda sad.
He’s not going to be easily replaced.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:21 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:52 pm
You know, we all knew this was coming, but now that it’s official...I’m kinda sad.
True

Hard to find an older, poor snapping center who most closely resembled an ice skater...

When was the last time you saw a hard push forward by Pouncey in the run game?

How is it they absolutely sucked at 3rd and 1s and 4th and 1s?

Pouncey WAS great. Was. It’s time. I personally welcome it.

Need a young mauler who is willing to defend blades of grass as opposed to to treating the field like a skating rink.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:

You think Dotson could play Center? It’s easier to find a guard than a Center, and he looks like he has the tools.
Redskins Draft:
Marvin Harrison, Jr., WR, Ohio State
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Jizz Mop wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:21 pm
Jobu wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:52 pm
True

Hard to find an older, poor snapping center who most closely resembled an ice skater...

When was the last time you saw a hard push forward by Pouncey in the run game?

How is it they absolutely sucked at 3rd and 1s and 4th and 1s?

Pouncey WAS great. Was. It’s time. I personally welcome it.

Need a young mauler who is willing to defend blades of grass as opposed to to treating the field like a skating rink.
I had tried to forget what a paycheck thief Pouncey had become for the last several years, until the fuckhead started....wait for it....a fucking HOME PLAYOFF GAME by literally, by himself, gifting the hated Browns a free 7 points.

What a fucking cocksucker.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:28 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

You think Dotson could play Center? It’s easier to find a guard than a Center, and he looks like he has the tools.
Dotson himself said he was prepared to pay it last year. Said the staff asked him in minicamp if he was interested in learning the position and IIRC, Dotson said he told them he'd already been working at it before he got to Pgh.

But. Dotson looks like a hell of a guard. Do you really want to move him?

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:32 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:53 pm
I had tried to forget what a paycheck thief Pouncey had become for the last several years, until the fuckhead started....wait for it....a fucking HOME PLAYOFF GAME by literally, by himself, gifting the hated Browns a free 7 points.
To be fair, Ben or JuJu should have easily recovered it except they were trying not to take a safety. Dumb coaches = dumb players.

You think Franco pulled off the Immaculate Reception on his own, or do you think he's following that play that far downfield because of coaching?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:35 pm

Yeah, his play slipped that past few years but thankfully he realized it and didn't gouge the Steelers another year.
I'm going to remember some of his great games like back in 2014 when Bell and Blount both rushed for over a hundred yards against the Panthers. Pouncey spent most of that game getting to the second level and destroying Luke Kuechly who was probably the best ILB at the time. He dominated the All pro that night.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 pm

The OL potentially has some decent/good pieces for the future. But the success we had in the recent past wasn't just Munchak - Haley and the RB coaches were all working together on that. We have a bunch of young unproven coaches there now, and the HC isn't one that's makes me confident it will work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

blu

Post by blu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Pouncey had a great football career I just wish that he had retired one game earlier.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:14 am

blu wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:48 pm
Pouncey had a great football career I just wish that he had retired one game earlier.
Me getting comfortable on my sofa....

And

Wtf just happened?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic