JJ Watt to be released

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
langer

Re: JJ Watt to be released

Post by langer » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:56 pm

No real downside to signing him.

He's been in the Houston purgatory for years, with that pygmy organization, a glorified crew they're running down there. He's been wasted.

Yinzers would love this guy, and the storybook with JJ and his brothers playing together, classic story arc. JJSS would be pouting in the corner wishing he had the cred of JJ.

He might also light a fire under Tuitt's butt and get him playing like the animal he should be. I can picture in my mind's eye JJ coming in on a big down and making a huge play or drawing enough attention to free up TJ or Cam. He just has those skills.

I would get pretty excited to see what would happen, until he got hurt.

"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Steel Ubaldo

Post by Steel Ubaldo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 pm

stinger8 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm
SteelPro wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:06 pm
drmalba wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:04 pm
Well the entire city of Pittsburgh just got a premature offseason chubby.
How about a pass rush with dueling Watts on either side? You can never have too many Watts.
Are you sure about that? I thought we had one too many last season.
I agree I thought the fullback was under whelming. That was money poorly spent
The money spent on Derek Watt last year was an absolute fucking waste. He is a below replacement level player. When he was signed last year, I said it was a fucking waste of resources for a team up against the cap.

Some geniuses on here said he was a ST ace or he would add to the passing game. He did fucking nothing. Some others said he would keep TJ happy. As I said last year if the goal is to keep TJ happy, hire TJs dad as a “consultant “ and pay him. That’s a Watt signing I would endorse.

Don’t waste a roster spot and salary cap space on a fucking full back making $3.83 million next year. JJ would be more useful, if healthy but he won’t be. He’s done. I could rationalize trading out Derek.’s salary for JJ but then neither JJ or TJ would be happy if the Steelers cut paycheck theif Derek.

Post by 955876 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:38 pm

We all saw what Heyward & Tuitt gave us come playoff time. Zippo.

If Watt has anything left you bring him in to rotate with those guys. Watt wouldn’t last all year but he might in a rotation.

A good defensive mind could do a lot of things with a player like that added as a component. If somehow he lands here let’s see what our goofballs can do.

Could morph into some pretty nice fronts with him in the mix and lessens the blow of losing Dupree.

Then go heavy offense in the draft.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:49 pm

langer wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:56 pm

He's been in the Houston purgatory for years, with that pygmy organization, a glorified crew they're running down there. He's been wasted.

Yinzers would love this guy, and the storybook with JJ and his brothers playing together, classic story arc. JJSS would be pouting in the corner wishing he had the cred of JJ.

He might also light a fire under Tuitt's butt and get him playing like the animal he should be. I can picture in my mind's eye JJ coming in on a big down and making a huge play or drawing enough attention to free up TJ or Cam. He just has those skills.

Tuitt had 11 sacks in 15 games in 2020. 2 forced fumbles, 3 PBU and 25 QB hits.

punum123

Post by punum123 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:43 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:49 pm
langer wrote:

...and very pedestrian in the playoffs.

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:23 am

If Watt wants to sign with the Steelers, we better want to sign him.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:20 am

jewelsongs wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:23 am
If Watt wants to sign with the Steelers, we better want to sign him.
I agree, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want him, especially if he signs a very friendly brother discount deal.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:39 pm

955876 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:38 pm

If Watt has anything left you bring him in to rotate with those guys. Watt wouldn’t last all year but he might in a rotation.

A good defensive mind could do a lot of things with a player like that added as a component. If somehow he lands here let’s see what our goofballs can do.

Could morph into some pretty nice fronts with him in the mix and lessens the blow of losing Dupree.

I am totally mystified at Cam's performance. Going up against a dude that shook hands with Baer for the first time in the locker room prior to the game. Shitty coaching cannot explain that.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

JJT07

Post by JJT07 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:10 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:39 pm
955876 wrote:

I am totally mystified at Cam's performance. Going up against a dude that shook hands with Baer for the first time in the locker room prior to the game. Shitty coaching cannot explain that.
Me too. I can't figure it out. I remember after the Jags playoff embarrasment my uncle saying to me, "Cam was getting his ass kicked all day." So this isn't a first for him.

The only thing I can think of is that by the end of the year he is just out of gas from playing so hard all year. Which interestingly enough is where a JJ Watt signing could really help.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:47 pm

No thank you

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:03 pm

JJT07 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:10 pm
955876 wrote:

Me too. I can't figure it out. I remember after the Jags playoff embarrasment my uncle saying to me, "Cam was getting his ass kicked all day." So this isn't a first for him.

The only thing I can think of is that by the end of the year he is just out of gas from playing so hard all year. Which interestingly enough is where a JJ Watt signing could really help.
Yes, a rotation of Cam, Tuitt, and Watt so that all play around 60 percent of the snaps would be fun to watch. Everyone with a full tank on just about every play would be awesome.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:07 pm

punum123 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:43 pm
stillthere wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:49 pm
langer wrote:

...and very pedestrian in the playoffs.
Same can be said of everyone on the Defense. Minkah? TJ? Cam? Nelson (highest paid free agent in team history)?

Just about the only player to perform as expected was Marsh and he got his ass kicked all day against Cleveland just like all the others.

EDIT:
even so Tuitt had 6 total tackles in the playoff loss. Cam - 1 TJ - 3. In fact the only people that had more tackles than Tuitt against the Browns in the playoffs were the 2 starting middle linebackers.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:45 pm

I am a big fan of Cam H. but that playoff performance was hot garbage. A lot of guys failed to show up? True. But he's the leader of the unit from every report. I wonder if he'd be a better player under pressure if he was a second banana to a legit superstar like JJ in his prime? We probably can't afford that scenario in any case but intriguing.
how good is JJ Watt as of today? I didn't watch as much football this year and not sure I know the answer to that question.
Lastly, do we need to find a DLineman of the future in this draft if we let that Cleveland debacle guide our actions?

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:47 pm
No thank you
Why?

I remember JJ moving all around the Houston defensive line. He was an attack animal from everywhere.
Carolina:
2.33 Payton Wilson, MLB, NC St.
2.39 Jalen McMillan, WR, Wash
3.65 Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
4.101 Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame
5.141 Matt Lee, C, Miami
5.142 Jalyx Hunt, Hybrid S/LB/Edge, Houston Christian
7.240 Judge Culpepper, DL, Toledo

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:53 am

If you can JJ do it

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Steel Bingo wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:20 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:47 pm
No thank you
Why?

I remember JJ moving all around the Houston defensive line. He was an attack animal from everywhere.
How much would you be willing to pay for him?

Is he staying healthy?

I just don’t see it...especially when we have so many of our own to sign

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:54 pm

What if TJ took a little less in the first two years of an extension to allow them to sign JJ. Instead of a big signing bonus, we give him guaranteed money for roster bonuses for year two through four. We give JJ a back loaded 3 year deal, with most of the money coming after this odd year for the salary cap. I think a rotation of Tuitt, Cam and JJ would result in a lot of pressure in a 4 man rush with TJ and Alex at OLB.

Post by 955876 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:11 pm

955876 wrote:

There is always some mystery with this team. I can’t fathom how Heyward was invisible that day either. And Tuitt.

And Watt.

Only thing I can think of is they were worn down by seasons end but didn’t all three of those guys get the prior week off???

We badly need help along the dline IMO and if Watt can help and wants to be here let’s roll the dice.

What the worst that could happen ? Another 1 & done or non-playoff season?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:42 pm

955876 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:11 pm
Only thing I can think of is they were worn down by seasons end but didn’t all three of those guys get the prior week off???
I don't think Heyward and Tuitt played bad at all, but the likes of Chris Wormley, Cassius Marsh, Robert Spillane, etc were absolutely terrible.

Check out this play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=545s

Heyward is 2 yards behind the line delivering a stiff arm to his blocker. He has the hole the RB is going for stuffed. Hunt simply bounces the ball outside, where Cassius Marsh has been caved in by the LT.

Here are two more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=50s

On each of Chubb's 20+ yard runs in this sequence, Wormley crashed inside leaving a gaping hole for Chubb to run through.

On this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=117s
Heyward has (again) caved his blocker 2 yards deep into the backfield, forcing Hunt to bounce the ball outside. This time it's Alex Highsmith getting blown off the ball by David Njoku.

Here's one from Tuitt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=185s
Tuitt holds the point vs a double team at the LOS, but once again Chubb bounces the ball outside where absolutely no one has contain (notice a theme?)
Last edited by Pabst on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 955876 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Depends which theme.

The one where yet again Tomlin’s defense is getting trucked in the postseason?

meanjustinbarlow

Post by meanjustinbarlow » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Where in the fuck did Cassius Marsh come from?

Thats a huge hole if we know that he is any kind of next man up. Jesus he looked horrendous. If Bud really walks we need to draft two OLBs.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:42 pm
955876 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:11 pm
I don't think Heyward and Tuitt didn't play bad at all, but the likes of Chris Wormley, Cassius Marsh, Robert Spillane, etc were absolutely terrible.

Check out this play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=545s

Heyward is 2 yards behind the line delivering a stiff arm to his blocker. He has the hole the RB is going for stuffed. Hunt simply bounces the ball outside, where Cassius Marsh has been caved in by the LT.

Here are two more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=50s

On each of Chubb's 20+ yard runs in this sequence, Wormley crashed inside leaving a gaping hole for Chubb to run through.

On this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=117s
Heyward has (again) caved his blocker 2 yards deep into the backfield, forcing Hunt to bounce the ball outside. This time it's Alex Highsmith getting blown off the ball by David Njoku.

Here's one from Tuitt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrytrYaK64&t=185s
Tuitt holds the point vs a double team at the LOS, but once again Chubb bounces the ball outside where absolutely no one has contain (notice a theme?)
I agree Pabst.
1. Wormley was terrible.
2. Cant understand why he was in the game so early. Wasn't he already on the field in the first or second series.
3. And they knew it and ran right at him ( Familiarity, as Cleveland saw him over the years, not only on Pittsburgh in 2020, but the years before in Baltimore )
4. And yes, not having the LB's in that game, to read, plug holes and or shoot gaps. Bush and Dupree gone for the year. Spillane not at 90% and not ready to come back. Highsmith still on a huge learning curve as a rookie. Which left TJ, for offenses to focus on.
5. Do they have that success running left if Dupree was playing?
6. I can not recall Vince making many plays? Vince is a very good player when he is the 4th best LB starting on defense and can excel when the other 3 are creating havoc and commanding attention.
7. That defense would be much different with Bush and Bud back in the starting lineup.

As far as getting the week off with rest ( 95 ). Maybe they got out of game mode somewhat. A week off is basically 2 weeks ( 13 days ) of less intense football. Then again, we had plenty of years where we did not have the bye week......and still stunk it up.

OT
OG/C
TE
RB
DL
ILB

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:38 pm

meanjustinbarlow wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 pm
Likely the tattoo shop.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:38 pm
meanjustinbarlow wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 pm
Likely the tattoo shop.
I think he was on the 49ers practice squad.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:23 pm

J.J. Watt is "seriously considering" signing with the Browns.

Sources tell Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot the Browns are a real contender to land Watt after the Texans inexplicably released the superstar edge rusher. At last check, half the NFL was looking into signing Watt, who reportedly wants to sign with a legit Super Bowl contender. The Browns, after making it to the Divisional Round and nearly upsetting the Chiefs in Kansas City, would seem to fit that description. Watt, entering his age-32 season, was Pro Football Focus' seventh highest-graded edge defender in 2020 who has the third most QB pressures since 2011. He would be a big get for Kevin Stefanski's upstart Browns, who have $21.7 million in cap space this offseason -- the tenth most in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Steelers -- with Watt's two brothers -- are more than $30 million over the cap.

RELATED: Cleveland Browns
SOURCE: Cleveland.com
Feb 16, 2021, 10:48 AM ET

:shock:

Post by 955876 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Yes, a rotation of Cam, Tuitt, and Watt so that all play around 60 percent of the snaps would be fun to watch. Everyone with a full tank on just about every play would be awesome.
3 dogs, 2 bones.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm

DP39 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:23 pm
who has the third most QB pressures since 2011.
Lol. Gotta love press releases.

Anyway, this news isn't a surprise, and Watt would be crazy not to consider the Browns. They're one of the few contenders with cap space. The problem with the Browns is they are going to have to break the bank for Mayfield, Chubb, Ward, Teller, and Garrett starting in 2022.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:55 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm
DP39 wrote:

Anyway, this news isn't a surprise, and Watt would be crazy not to consider the Browns. They're one of the few contenders with cap space. The problem with the Browns is they are going to have to break the bank for Mayfield, Chubb, Ward, Teller, and Garrett starting in 2022.
Wish we could afford him. We can't. I'd rather have Bud back at this stage in their respective careers but we can't have Bud either...lol...

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:04 pm

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:55 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm
DP39 wrote:

Wish we could afford him. We can't. I'd rather have Bud back at this stage in their respective careers but we can't have Bud either...lol...
Absolutely agree with this.

Signing JJ is a bit of a gimick. Not that he doesn't add value or isn't an improvement, but he's definitely not a top tier need.

And- in all seriousness, where do you play him? Who's playing time gets cut?

Heywood and Tuitt are both large salary cap numbers. I can't imagine a situation where you pay 3 DEs a shitload of money- particularly when there are so many other holes that are going to need to be filled.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:13 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:04 pm
And- in all seriousness, where do you play him? Who's playing time gets cut?
This one is easy: DE in base and DT in sub packages. You cut time from Wormley, Mondeaux, Buggs, Alualu.

I do agree, though. You don't break the bank for him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic