Colbert Non-Committal on Ben Return; Fans Rejoice

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
drmalba

Re: Colbert Non-Committal on Ben Return; Fans Rejoice

Post by drmalba » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 am

This is hopefully just business bullshit around Ben's cap number that will be resolved quietly. I think Ben should get his final year to ride into the sunset in front of actual fans, instead of the Cleveland debacle. And with our defense, I think we'll be in the mix again.

Im also open to the possibility that maybe we underestimated the FO's reaction to the playoff loss, who they feel is to blame for it, and what they feel they have with Rudolph.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:53 am

Stillchest wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:07 am
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:45 pm
Steelperch wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 pm
I really hate Steelers fans.
:lol:

Were you hating Steeler fans when Cleveland was handing the team ANOTHER, regularly scheduled home playoff ass beating while Ben and company were in turning it over as often as they possibly could and the defense couldn’t stop shit?

But sure, I’m sure if Ben comes back we’re gonna win it all as a big going away present for good ol’ #7.

:lol:
Actually, those have been my sentiments towards many Steelers fans for about 8 years.

Nothing personal, but many of you are fucking masochists and don’t realize it.

You’ve been defeated in your elder age.
Um.....we’ve lost in the playoffs to Tim Tebow, Blake Bortles and Baker Mayfield. We came within a cunt hair of losing to Cincy’s former back up QB who I believe is now out of the league. I forget his name. If Burfict doesn’t shit on Cincy, we likely lose that too.

It’s not my age that has me now CERTAIN this team isn’t winning SHIT with Mike Tomlin or Ben Roethlisberger.

It’s reality.

Ben was once a great player who won big despite Tomlin’s stupidity.

Ben isn’t great anymore or anything close to it. The sooner you come to grips with that, the better but if you don’t....we’ll....don’t say you weren’t warned.

Nothing personal.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:35 am

I would much rather have a better plan in place other than "but Mason looked kind decent against the Browns omg right?!" before nudging Ben out the door. A blind man can see that Rudolph doesn't have it. Basically every intangible that made Ben clutch, a winner, and an all-time great? Yeah, Mason doesn't have it.

There's just no valid need to push Ben out the door. If he wants to play next year, let the dude f'n play. We can greatly lower his cap hit, spread it out over a few years so it's negligible, and still operate just the same financially as if we cut him or forced him to retire. If they're ready to move on? Make a move to grab a QB this coming draft, or do whatever you can to get a guy next year, but that shouldn't impact whether Ben plays next season either way.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:50 am

Steelperch wrote:
This. Spoiled and entitled doesn't even begin. I'd root for suffering if it didn't mean my own suffering as well. Embarrassing.

It's also 100% true that sucking sooner doesn't equate so sucking less or for a shorter amount of time.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

R_S

Post by R_S » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 am

Paul Alexander does make some good points.

langer

Post by langer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:13 am

Can't replace Tomlin, no one could possibly equate, if you will. He is just that good.

But you can replace Ben with whatever jagoff 2nd stringer you find on the street. CoughKentGrahamCough CoughTommyMaddoxCough.

Peyton won with a noodle arm because he knew how to play QB well. Ben can, I think still contribute because his mind is as good as it's ever been.

Does dumb stuff, yes, but can also come back from his errors.

That puts him in a small crowd.

Some of these critics are in their 20s and 30s...they have only known Ben.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:09 am

Also, if you're of the opinion that Mason Rudolph is an NFL starting QB, you need your head examined. If you're confident that they're just going to trade up and get the next HOF caliber franchise QB in the draft, you really shouldn't be. The QB track record outside of Ben in 17 years? Not good. "First round grade on Bibberty?" Equally not good. I'd honestly have more confidence in at least 1/3 of our board mock GMs' ability to pull it off. As far as Tombert? Kyle Trask in round two here we come. Rejoice, indeed.

Mostly directed at the Twitter idiots, by the way.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:19 am

Why don’t Tomlin and Butler remove their fucking heads from their asses and coach a goddamn defense that shows up in January. As others have said, Doncos did it for an elderly Manning with no neck muscles (Lombardi) and Arians just did it with Brady in Tampa. Admittedly Brady is the GOAT, but are we saying Ben can’t put up similar numbers during a playoff run? Of course he can.

Again, this coaching staff we have is a fucking joke. When will the team ownership force this clown out?
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:20 am

Ice wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:09 am
Also, if you're of the opinion that Mason Rudolph is an NFL starting QB, you need your head examined. If you're confident that they're just going to trade up and get the next HOF caliber franchise QB in the draft, you really shouldn't be. The QB track record outside of Ben in 17 years? Not good. "First round grade on Bibberty?" Equally not good. I'd honestly have more confidence in at least 1/3 of our board mock GMs' ability to pull it off. As far as Tombert? Kyle Trask in round two here we come. Rejoice, indeed.

Mostly directed at the Twitter idiots, by the way.
I’ve said many times that Rudolph isn’t the answer as the guy that should follow Roethlisberger as the Steelers franchise QB. I’m hoping Mason can become a quality backup QB and I’m not yet (at all) where I believe that can’t happen.

But.....after watching the last 5 or 6 games of the season where Roethlisberger was being outplayed by an Alex Smith who basically couldn’t play 2 consecutive games because his calf was so fucked up and the great Ryan Finley.

I don’t even need to mention the disastrous playoff debacle.

I believe Ben will still be good for a quality start here and there. Now and then and I have no problem with him getting a farewell tour, but.....we aren’t winning anything with Ben Roethlisberger at QB anymore.

Especially with Mike Tomlin roaming the sidelines.

I’m beyond shocked folks still believe we’ll contend next season.

Scary shit.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:24 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:19 am
Why don’t Tomlin and Butler remove their fucking heads from their asses and coach a goddamn defense that shows up in January. As others have said, Doncos did it for an elderly Manning with no neck muscles (Lombardi) and Arians just did it with Brady in Tampa. Admittedly Brady is the GOAT, but are we saying Ben can’t put up similar numbers during a playoff run? Of course he can.

Again, this coaching staff we have is a fucking joke. When will the team ownership force this clown out?
Force?

That’s not happening.

Wish the minority owners could kidnap Art2 and subject him to some CIA-like water boarding until he cracks and agrees to fire Tomlin.

I’m sick of it

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 am

They won’t force but still no contract extension, right? The longer that goes on, the more I think Tomlin’s seat is very much hot.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 am
They won’t force but still no contract extension, right? The longer that goes on, the more I think Tomlin’s seat is very much hot.
It should be molten lava hot

I cannot believe how many people outside our fan base and across the league actually think he’s a great coach.

Mind numbing

tunch

Post by tunch » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 am

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:14 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm
https://twitter.com/akinkhabwala/status ... 03394?s=21

Aditi on Twitter:

#Steelers GM Kevin Colbert says that in meetings w/ him, owner Art Rooney and coach Mike Tomlin, QB Ben Roethlisberger “reiterated… he wants to continue to play… We told him quite frankly, we have to look at this situation.”
This is a disingenuous quote from Aditi (not blaming B2B). After saying the above, Colbert stated: "With Ben's current cap number, some adjustment will have to be made."

That seems to me to wholly change the tenure of the comment. That sounds more like "we want you back, but not at that cap hit."
Kill journalists.

To be clear I mean, literally, kill journalists.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:34 am

The Steelers defense was outplayed by Smith, Finley, Baker, that guy in Dallas who isn't DiNucci, etc. Orange makes an excellent point about that.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:51 am

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:42 pm
Jizz Mop wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 pm
I’m still trying to accept a very talented team was bounced from the playoffs, at home, versus the Browns.

To recap:

Browns had no HC, a reshuffled patchwork Oline, and other players ineligible due to Covid.

Yet

We lost

The blame:

Aviators, Ben, Pouncey and the D

I don’t see us 11-0 anytime soon

Get used to 7-9, 6-10
I still can't believe the offense looked FAR, FAR better just one week earlier, with Bibberty in charge.

Basically in every aspect.

I still cannot believe what happened one week after we lost in Cleveland, because we failed on a 2 point play that could have sent the game to overtime.

Holy shit.
You're the guy who wanted to ditch Brady for Jimmy Garappolo a few years back (not literally that then but this is a whole lot like that in terms of assumptions you're making and counting out the GOAT).

If that offense looked far better, no small part of it was a different guy gameplanned and was in charge... and the best available OL played. And anyway, the offense peaked the week before the Browns game, in the second half of the Indy game.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 pm
Watching Brady last year in New England...did people really think he’d be holding the Lombardi a year later in Tampa? Be honest...I didn’t. I thought Brady made them a bit more competitive in a pretty tough division. That’s all.

Now Brady is drunk on a boat somewhere making room for a 7th ring.

Point is, you are a goddamn idiot if you don’t think keeping Ben gives us our best shot next year. He gives us our best shot until he retires, period. We are in for years of suck. And that’s not even bringing up how bad Mike Tomlin is.

You keep Ben until he’s done. Everything else is just a bunch of Ben-hating waterheads.
THIS AGAIN times a zillion.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

rooneytunes wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 pm
He's gonna go through all of that with getting his arm repaired for just one year?

Not happening. He will be back. Probably for two more years.
THIS also

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:11 am

tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 am
zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:14 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm
https://twitter.com/akinkhabwala/status ... 03394?s=21

Aditi on Twitter:

#Steelers GM Kevin Colbert says that in meetings w/ him, owner Art Rooney and coach Mike Tomlin, QB Ben Roethlisberger “reiterated… he wants to continue to play… We told him quite frankly, we have to look at this situation.”
This is a disingenuous quote from Aditi (not blaming B2B). After saying the above, Colbert stated: "With Ben's current cap number, some adjustment will have to be made."

That seems to me to wholly change the tenure of the comment. That sounds more like "we want you back, but not at that cap hit."
Kill journalists.

To be clear I mean, literally, kill journalists.
First thing we do, let's kill all the journalists.

But seriously, it may seem like journalists have gotten worse (and I imagine that is the case -- we didn't use to have morons like Aditi). But I think of Walter Duranty and realize that journalists have always been shitty. It is just now easier to check their shitty work.

Parents make sure your kids don't become journalists. More honorable for their to be strippers (and I'd die before that happened).

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:24 am

Steelperch wrote:
It’s sad as can be. I think many of them don’t realize what a difference Ben made in their team’s fortunes. Hell many of them aren’t old enough to remember the last Super Bowl win, I guess.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:26 am

tbsteel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:35 am
I would much rather have a better plan in place other than "but Mason looked kind decent against the Browns omg right?!" before nudging Ben out the door. A blind man can see that Rudolph doesn't have it. Basically every intangible that made Ben clutch, a winner, and an all-time great? Yeah, Mason doesn't have it.

There's just no valid need to push Ben out the door. If he wants to play next year, let the dude f'n play. We can greatly lower his cap hit, spread it out over a few years so it's negligible, and still operate just the same financially as if we cut him or forced him to retire. If they're ready to move on? Make a move to grab a QB this coming draft, or do whatever you can to get a guy next year, but that shouldn't impact whether Ben plays next season either way.
You said all of this better than I could in my attempts.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:27 am

R_S wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 am
Paul Alexander does make some good points.
Paul Alexander doesn’t know crap about football. A QB like Ben can play in any system Mason F Rudolph can play in, with any supporting cast, and he’ll win more games doing it.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:53 am

drmalba wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 am
This is hopefully just business bullshit around Ben's cap number that will be resolved quietly. I think Ben should get his final year to ride into the sunset in front of actual fans, instead of the Cleveland debacle. And with our defense, I think we'll be in the mix again.

Im also open to the possibility that maybe we underestimated the FO's reaction to the playoff loss, who they feel is to blame for it, and what they feel they have with Rudolph.
I guarantee that the Steelers FO thinks much more highly of Mason Rudolph than us fanboys do...
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:54 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 am
I think you are going to be highly disappointed sometime in the next few weeks.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:24 am
Steelperch wrote:
It’s sad as can be. I think many of them don’t realize what a difference Ben made in their team’s fortunes. Hell many of them aren’t old enough to remember the last Super Bowl win, I guess.
I think you are right some of the nonchalance of fans comes from the fact that The Steelers have been in a good spot at QB since week 2 of the 2004 season up until the elbow gave way. When do you start to really remember stuff about sports? Like 7ish to 10ish years of age i would guess. So a crap ton of fans that are up to 30ish and below in age that kinda might only know Ben. Not having lived in a time when the team was looking for a stud QB. Some people that have only heard stories about Bubby, Steve Bono, Cliff Stoudt, David fucking Woodley (instead of Marino), the only real taste of that in the last 2 decades was the Kent Graham experiment. Kordell man I wish he had stayed as Slash and played all over the field. Maddox made games fun to watch before we got Ben. If we get a bridge QB that plays like Maddox when he was playing well I am good with that.

Plus being able to just vent on social media is easier than back in the day when you talked at the bar with a couple of people, or at work when you had a chance, maybe shoot the shit with the neighbor(s) and so much more information is available now at your fingertips.

And for a nice little while they had both Batch and Leftwich at backup which was a nice luxury.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:37 am

Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:53 am
drmalba wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 am

I guarantee that the Steelers FO thinks much more highly of Mason Rudolph than us fanboys do...
He is kind of in limbo since it is a contract year and we still don't know if there is going to be a preseason next season. I wonder if they do like him what kind of contract they offer him next year?

What number will it take to keep him if he even wants to stay in Pittsburgh?

What if another team wants to sign him?

What is a fair contract for him? 12 million, 7 million, 15 million, 20 million a year?

What is his cap value in 2022?

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:26 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:51 am
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:42 pm
Jizz Mop wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 pm
I’m still trying to accept a very talented team was bounced from the playoffs, at home, versus the Browns.

To recap:

Browns had no HC, a reshuffled patchwork Oline, and other players ineligible due to Covid.

Yet

We lost

The blame:

Aviators, Ben, Pouncey and the D

I don’t see us 11-0 anytime soon

Get used to 7-9, 6-10
I still can't believe the offense looked FAR, FAR better just one week earlier, with Bibberty in charge.

Basically in every aspect.

I still cannot believe what happened one week after we lost in Cleveland, because we failed on a 2 point play that could have sent the game to overtime.

Holy shit.
You're the guy who wanted to ditch Brady for Jimmy Garappolo a few years back (not literally that then but this is a whole lot like that in terms of assumptions you're making and counting out the GOAT).

If that offense looked far better, no small part of it was a different guy gameplanned and was in charge... and the best available OL played. And anyway, the offense peaked the week before the Browns game, in the second half of the Indy game.
Can you show some of my quotes regarding Garappolo VS. Brady?

Thanks in advance.

Gonna need to see some context there, because I don’t remember Brady ever being outclassed by the likes of a Ryan Finley and “peaking” for one half over the course of about 6 games.

Harvey Woodlawn

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:40 pm

Who was starting for the Dolphins a couple years ago when the Pats needed the win for a bye, in Foxboro, and lost?

It's the AFC Least. Every time Brady lost a division game for 20 years, it was pretty much to a jobber or no-name QB.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:09 pm

@K_C_ im saying that is what you doing now. Talking about how much better the offense looked with Jimmy G! Brady looks done!

Hell, man, you would have a hard time making the case that Ben’s 2020 was worse than Brady’s 2019. And he wasn’t coming off of elbow surgery and faced to play w no run game.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Watching the diversity of play calling and effectiveness with Rudolph playing was a giant flipping spotlight on just how bad Ben has become.

Unless Ben miraculously changes his spots and becomes a capable "under center" QB, I don't expect anything but 9-7 next season.

9-7 will kick the can down the curb, Tomlin will still be coach, and the team mired in mediocrity until he is gone.

I want a shitshow in 2021, so the flipping ownership wakes up and cans the entire lot- and starts the rebuild, pronto.

Mason flipping Rudolph is Kent Graham of 2020. You aren't winning anything but moral victories with him.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:52 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:09 pm
@K_C_ im saying that is what you doing now. Talking about how much better the offense looked with Jimmy G! Brady looks done!

Hell, man, you would have a hard time making the case that Ben’s 2020 was worse than Brady’s 2019. And he wasn’t coming off of elbow surgery and faced to play w no run game.
I gotta say, next year’s Steelers team is going to be one of the most interesting in recent memory.

.......against one helluva tough schedule.

Ben better be working on his pocket movement skills if he’s gonna survive it with likely multiple new o-linemen, a new TE and new RB.

I’m sure it’ll go well though.

I’d seriously advise him to, this year, REALLY be in the best shape of his life.

Harvey Woodlawn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic