Re: Colbert Non-Committal on Ben Return; Fans Rejoice

Post by Jobu » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Stillchest wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:19 pm
jeemie wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:01 pm
jewelsongs wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:38 pm
I think this is multi-faceted. People shouldn't celebrate Ben leaving. He has been the most important Steeler for much of his career. He should be celebrated. The Steelers have to make a business decision, and we don't know what his agent is asking for. If moving on from Ben allows them to keep Bud, I would do that. If it doesn't keep Bud, and Ben is reasonable, I keep Ben.
I won’t celebrate when Ben goes.

But I want him to go now because I want the Tomlin Era to end as quickly as possible...and as much as I would like Ben to retire with a third Lombardi, I know it isn’t going to happen.

So the quicker he’s gone, the quicker we can get a new era where maybe something different will happen other than our yearly “never had a losing season” tease.
Until Rooney no longer owns the team nothing will change.

Rooney will hire another dinosaur with dinosaur football philosophies. It’s what Rooney wants.

You’re getting your hopes up for naught, imo.
Exactly. And Tomlin is what Rooney wants.

“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Post by 955876 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 pm

I’ve heard Keith Butler has already been promised the job.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Post by 955876 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:25 pm

From an article today...
If Roethlisberger plays, new offensive coordinator Matt Canada will be able to use a mere fraction of his preferred scheme.
1) true or false?

2) if true, why?
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:45 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm
jeemie wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:38 pm
I think this is multi-faceted. People shouldn't celebrate Ben leaving. He has been the most important Steeler for much of his career. He should be celebrated. The Steelers have to make a business decision, and we don't know what his agent is asking for. If moving on from Ben allows them to keep Bud, I would do that. If it doesn't keep Bud, and Ben is reasonable, I keep Ben.

But I want him to go now because I want the Tomlin Era to end as quickly as possible...and as much as I would like Ben to retire with a third Lombardi, I know it isn’t going to happen.

So the quicker he’s gone, the quicker we can get a new era where maybe something different will happen other than our yearly “never had a losing season” tease.
Better chance of Ben leading them to a Super Bowl than Tomlin being fired.
I just have to laugh at the fans that think Tomlin is going when Ben goes. Have they not been paying attention to the guys ego? Tomlin (andA2) believes he is the reason for the Steelers ”success”, not Ben. Tomlin is here for a long , long time.
Maybe...maybe, when A2 hands over the reins to his successor, Tomlin might get called onto the carpet.
I don’t think Tomlin is going when Ben goes.

I think Tomlin will start losing when Ben goes.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:14 pm

jeemie wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:45 pm
Jobu wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm
jeemie wrote:

Better chance of Ben leading them to a Super Bowl than Tomlin being fired.
I just have to laugh at the fans that think Tomlin is going when Ben goes. Have they not been paying attention to the guys ego? Tomlin (andA2) believes he is the reason for the Steelers ”success”, not Ben. Tomlin is here for a long , long time.
Maybe...maybe, when A2 hands over the reins to his successor, Tomlin might get called onto the carpet.

No doubt.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:20 pm

955876 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:25 pm
From an article today...
If Roethlisberger plays, new offensive coordinator Matt Canada will be able to use a mere fraction of his preferred scheme.
1) true or false?

2) if true, why?
I saw that too. It may well be true, but it was Madden...

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:25 pm

955876 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:25 pm
From an article today...
1) true or false?

2) if true, why?
I think it has whispers of truth because we saw Canada’s offense at the beginning of the season, and then it got dumbed down the longer the season went on...only to reappear in the game Mason played.

So either Ben signed off on dumbing it down, or Ben sat by quietly as Fichtner/Tomlin signed off on dumbing it down.

Neither explanation is great.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:20 am

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:12 pm

Again.....I'll guarantee you they see Rudolph as a veteran and they aren't going to pay someone like Andy Dalton.

If I'm wrong and they add a veteran, don't be surprised if that veteran isn't add to be the starter...but instead to be Rudolph's backup.

Don't shoot the messenger.
I could see a vet QB signing to be exactly that scenario. Keep a vet around to help him with game prep and be a useful sounding board.

I doubt highly that they will not have at least one veteran QB also to show Haskins how it is done if he sticks.

I am interested in what rules they could adopt from this past season regarding the practice squad rosters. I doubt that the world will be completely vaccinated by the start of next season. They may allow teams to keep veteran practice squad players again and that could change the look of the QB room as well.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:22 am

DP39 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 pm
I want Ben to play next year, but only if he is willing to restructure his contract so we can get as much cap relief as possible. I also want him to rededicate himself to being the best QB he can be (willing to do everything the OC wants him to do -- to perfection) for at least one year. Not sure that would happen though.

That being said, if Ben's not back, I think Bibs will surprise some folks. He may not be a top 15 QB, but it will be nice to have a QB that can/will run anything and everything. Throwing in some athletic QB packages in the mix for Dobbs/Haskins wouldn't be a terrible thing either, imo. The elephant in the room is still Tomlin's O philosophy.
Haskins is not a mobile athletic QB. He is a pocket passer that can run a little. I would say him and Mason are similar in running ability.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:41 am

jeemie wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:45 pm

Ben pulled wins out of his ass for the entire time Tomlin has been here. The no losing seasons as a HC thing can be attributed to one player #7, other than the 2019 season which was probably the finest job of coaching Mike Tomlin has ever shown. I actually liked watching that team and the grit they showed with a whole lot of chips stacked against them was a fun ride.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:03 am

Tomlin will have plenty of losing season without Ben

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:00 am

Stumbled across this...
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/p ... ce-pouncey
Interesting take, if nothing else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic