Kirk Herbstreit

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
rooneytunes
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Kirk Herbstreit

Post by rooneytunes » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 am

Kirk Herbstreit thinks if teams can't start practicing and preparing by July 1st that he believes there will be no High School, College, or NFL Football .


If that doesn't make you Social Distance I don't know what will.


Image

Stlcrtn1974
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:59 am

I've already prepared myself for no 2020 season. This fucking blows.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 19965
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm

Here’s a scenario:

Only those who test positive for covid19 antibodies can coach, play, or go to the games. Coordinate with blood drives (the plasma of those w the antibodies can be used as treatment for the sick).

By July 1, that’ll be 2/3 of the population, with team sports people likely higher. Players/coaches/fans can be added as they test in.

Mick
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm
Here’s a scenario:

Only those who test positive for covid19 antibodies can coach, play, or go to the games. Coordinate with blood drives (the plasma of those w the antibodies can be used as treatment for the sick).

By July 1, that’ll be 2/3 of the population, with team sports people likely higher. Players/coaches/fans can be added as they test in.
if we were capable of doing something in an organized way on a national scale, why don’t we just eradicate it?

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 19965
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm
Here’s a scenario:

Only those who test positive for covid19 antibodies can coach, play, or go to the games. Coordinate with blood drives (the plasma of those w the antibodies can be used as treatment for the sick).

By July 1, that’ll be 2/3 of the population, with team sports people likely higher. Players/coaches/fans can be added as they test in.
if we were capable of doing something in an organized way on a national scale, why don’t we just eradicate it?
VIruses are hard. We can't stop the common cold.

Building a huge pile of self-immunized people with resolved cases is pretty much the only to stop it. Social distancing is probably the fastest and best way to slow it down to allow hospital capacity and treatment knowledge to catch up.

Just imagine this is WW2 or WW3 or WWZ. (it doesn't take much imagining, because that's what this is) In WW2, sports leagues played with players who couldn't go be at risk fighting; in my example , players at risk would be not playing and players who didn't need to be "overseas" would make up the sports leagues.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 19965
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm

BTW, all but the top stars would be willing to go out and get infected––the risk of them developing complications leading to hospitalization would be like 1/20th their odds of getting CTE. These are people who understand risk.

The other thing that could be done––this is what the 3-ball summer tourney is considering: quarantine the players. They live with other players on the team and coaches and they only mix with other teams players after testing. It might work on the downside of the peak, whatever that might be.

Orangesteel
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Two things I’m starting to think are going to happen:

- economic depression

- no football or hockey in the fall (which blows, because the Steelers and Pens have championship caliber teams)

Mick
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:03 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm
Here’s a scenario:

Only those who test positive for covid19 antibodies can coach, play, or go to the games. Coordinate with blood drives (the plasma of those w the antibodies can be used as treatment for the sick).

By July 1, that’ll be 2/3 of the population, with team sports people likely higher. Players/coaches/fans can be added as they test in.
if we were capable of doing something in an organized way on a national scale, why don’t we just eradicate it?
VIruses are hard. We can't stop the common cold.

Building a huge pile of self-immunized people with resolved cases is pretty much the only to stop it. Social distancing is probably the fastest and best way to slow it down to allow hospital capacity and treatment knowledge to catch up.

Just imagine this is WW2 or WW3 or WWZ. (it doesn't take much imagining, because that's what this is) In WW2, sports leagues played with players who couldn't go be at risk fighting; in my example , players at risk would be not playing and players who didn't need to be "overseas" would make up the sports leagues.
not that hard, China, Japan, s Korea, Singapore, etc got control quickly; mostly issue with incoming travelers now. It’s not complicated: lock everything down, PPE for everyone not locked down (food delivery, healthcare), lots of testing, then after 2 weeks unlock all the places it isn’t. After a month or so 90% of places are back to work.

Obviously that’s not going to work for territories that don’t have a functional central authority e.g., the EU, Iran, etc. but it’s not hard.

The common cold is tricky, because there’s no long term immunity or vaccine possible (because it’s a coronavirus).

Kodiak
Posts: 15389
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm
BTW, all but the top stars would be willing to go out and get infected––the risk of them developing complications leading to hospitalization would be like 1/20th their odds of getting CTE. These are people who understand risk.
I'm not sure younger people have a lower hospitalization rate, they're just more likely to recover. Because if you could just let it rip thru the population while the over 60 people self-isolate, you'd create herd immunity. Except your hospitals would still be overwhelmed, and then like 4% of those people who would have recovered don't without enough beds/ventilators to go around.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

shellwagnerblount
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Post by shellwagnerblount » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm

rooneytunes wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 am
Kirk Herbstreit thinks if teams can't start practicing and preparing by July 1st that he believes there will be no High School, College, or NFL Football .


If that doesn't make you Social Distance I don't know what will.
I think all the moving of events to September is a last ditch attempt to pretend things can actually happen that aren't going to. Kentucky Derby, French Open, Wimbledon (actually they are openly talking about cancellation and not moving the timing of the event). Can you do without training camps and OTA`s + preseason and still entertain having a regular season? I doubt it.

I guess it really comes down to what the next month brings to the USA in terms of the virus. I'm hoping for the best...90% of my concern is for the health of the world/USA/Canada and that we can all come out of it battered/bruised but OK. 10% is for my sports addiction which seems very silly in light of people actually dying of this disease.

(as an aside)
I have a friend who has a grand niece who was born prematurely last year. She's highly susceptible to infections of many kinds. Her immune system sucks (as he mother ruefully put it in a moment of lighthearted banter that is VERY rare in her world) I live in fear that someone is going to give her the virus. We had a bunch of university kids partying for ST. Patrick's Day here. I wanted to go down there with a fire hose and wash them off the streets. But they are kids. I was probably that dumb once too.. But my mom and dad would have personally executed me if I had pulled something like that in a time of crisis.

If we can all take this seriously for another few weeks, we have a chance to break this things back. I hope we are up to it. Stay safe everyone. :|

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 19965
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 pm

I think it's taking a very long time for this to hit home for most people who aren't on the front lines. I can tell you from here in NYC: this is going to get baaaaaaaaad. And it's going to get baaaaaaaaad everytwhere. Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama are going to be utter shitshows.

We're already having an economic depression––another thing most people don't realize. China and LA and NYC and many parts of the world were stuff gets done, manufactured, sold, paid for... it's all shut down. Those of you living in places with no shutdown orders or partial work rules just haven't gotten there yet.

The only causes for hope are: NY is on top of this and they're going to learn from a lot of very hard and expensive lessons that can become knowledge and technology to help those later on the curve. AND since Tuesday, NY has been blood testing people who suspect they've had the virus and recovered, so that they can use their plasma for treatments AND put them back to work. Once enough of the workforce gets anitbodies, not only will it slow/stop the virus, those people can help others, can go back to work, etc.

That's going to take a while. We've been in this stay at home stage for about two weeks; there are something like 3 weeks to the peak and probably another 3 weeks to get it back down to pre-shutdown levels. That's mid-may. And then comes NJ, and CA, and Louisiana, and Florida... who are all on about a 2 week lag. Assuming capacity and treatment improve, maybe they get some normalcy by end of May. And then there's the rest of the US, which is slightly behind that. My guess is we'll have stragglers for another couple of months, minimum. July would be a miracle. August 1st is a maybe. September 1st if it doesn't get worse than it appears now would be a reasonable expectation.

And then kids go back to school and people start working and traveling again and it starts anew-- at least a little bump like they're having in China right now.

Kodiak
Posts: 15389
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:26 pm

The sad reality of this is we might be denied Brady's big belly flop at the end of his career. Much worse is the possibility we've seen Ben's last game - in 2021 he'd be 39 not having played a down in almost 2 years.

And a 2021 season could be optimistic. A vaccine after 18 months takes you into roughly July of 2021. How quickly could they produce and dose 330M people?

But I'm hopeful for football this year. I think a number of positive developments to come will make that happen. Testing reveals many more people had and recovered from this, putting the mortality rate under 1%. Emergence of treatments/therapies that further reduce contagion and mortality to flu-like levels. A bit of respite with warmer summer weather, and good progress on vaccine trials. This could be the most likely scenario while still being less than 50/50 chance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Mick
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 pm
I think it's taking a very long time for this to hit home for most people who aren't on the front lines. I can tell you from here in NYC: this is going to get baaaaaaaaad. And it's going to get baaaaaaaaad everytwhere. Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama are going to be utter shitshows.

We're already having an economic depression––another thing most people don't realize. China and LA and NYC and many parts of the world were stuff gets done, manufactured, sold, paid for... it's all shut down. Those of you living in places with no shutdown orders or partial work rules just haven't gotten there yet.

The only causes for hope are: NY is on top of this and they're going to learn from a lot of very hard and expensive lessons that can become knowledge and technology to help those later on the curve. AND since Tuesday, NY has been blood testing people who suspect they've had the virus and recovered, so that they can use their plasma for treatments AND put them back to work. Once enough of the workforce gets anitbodies, not only will it slow/stop the virus, those people can help others, can go back to work, etc.

That's going to take a while. We've been in this stay at home stage for about two weeks; there are something like 3 weeks to the peak and probably another 3 weeks to get it back down to pre-shutdown levels. That's mid-may. And then comes NJ, and CA, and Louisiana, and Florida... who are all on about a 2 week lag. Assuming capacity and treatment improve, maybe they get some normalcy by end of May. And then there's the rest of the US, which is slightly behind that. My guess is we'll have stragglers for another couple of months, minimum. July would be a miracle. August 1st is a maybe. September 1st if it doesn't get worse than it appears now would be a reasonable expectation.

And then kids go back to school and people start working and traveling again and it starts anew-- at least a little bump like they're having in China right now.
how does the antibody donation thing work? Is there a link? Is that just as treatment for infected folk, or does it provide some duration of immune boost?

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 19965
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 pm
how does the antibody donation thing work? Is there a link? Is that just as treatment for infected folk, or does it provide some duration of immune boost?
[/quote]
https://www.ibtimes.com/researchers-foc ... 19-2945590

rooneytunes
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Post by rooneytunes » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:49 pm

I miss throwing away $5.00 a day gambling. I am getting ready to do a parlay on Turkish Soccer

Lol
Image

Thrillsseeker
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Post by Thrillsseeker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:44 am

rooneytunes wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 am
Kirk Herbstreit thinks if teams can't start practicing and preparing by July 1st that he believes there will be no High School, College, or NFL Football .


If that doesn't make you Social Distance I don't know what will.
Kirk Herbstreit can shut his whore mouth.

Havoc
Posts: 4890
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Post by Havoc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:03 am

Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:03 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 pm
if we were capable of doing something in an organized way on a national scale, why don’t we just eradicate it?
VIruses are hard. We can't stop the common cold.

Building a huge pile of self-immunized people with resolved cases is pretty much the only to stop it. Social distancing is probably the fastest and best way to slow it down to allow hospital capacity and treatment knowledge to catch up.

Just imagine this is WW2 or WW3 or WWZ. (it doesn't take much imagining, because that's what this is) In WW2, sports leagues played with players who couldn't go be at risk fighting; in my example , players at risk would be not playing and players who didn't need to be "overseas" would make up the sports leagues.
not that hard, China, Japan, s Korea, Singapore, etc got control quickly; mostly issue with incoming travelers now. It’s not complicated: lock everything down, PPE for everyone not locked down (food delivery, healthcare), lots of testing, then after 2 weeks unlock all the places it isn’t. After a month or so 90% of places are back to work.

Obviously that’s not going to work for territories that don’t have a functional central authority e.g., the EU, Iran, etc. but it’s not hard.

The common cold is tricky, because there’s no long term immunity or vaccine possible (because it’s a coronavirus).
After listening to reports, it appears to me your sentiments are on the mark on this, Mick. I doubt what is going on in New York is coming to Tarrant County Texas (where I live).

The country is going to bend but not break and we are going to get thru this.

I'm seeing promising reports, the red tape is being cut.

I saw a report today that the mortality rate in this country is 1.5% It's going to continue to drop.

User avatar
beerbrother
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by beerbrother » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:41 am

Seems to be a fear that there could be a resurgence of the virus in the fall/winter.
Michael Smith of Sports Business Journal reports that one of the scenarios for playing college football in 2020 consists of moving the season to July, August, and September.

The decision to accelerate the season would be driven by concerns that the American coronavirus epidemic could subside in the warmer months and return in the fall. An abbreviated college football season played in the summer months could be the best, and only, way to get a college football season accomplished.

The idea remains in its very early stages, and it would hinge on a variety of factors, from whether campuses would be able to staff the games to whether TV partners would embrace the idea to whether fans would show up in sweltering heat to whether fans would be able to attend the games at all.

Smith reports that alternative scenarios like a summer season will be discussed by the powers-that-be, and that it ultimately could be the only way to play the games in 2020.
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." Mike Tomlin

User avatar
beerbrother
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by beerbrother » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Think too many people still aren't taking this serious. Am a bit shocked by how many act like they are on vacation while out of work instead of isolating themselves.

Guess I shouldn't have been surprised by all the me-first people considering all the asshole drivers on the road.

Although my job is considered critical (actually have a plaque stating Emergency Response Vehicle FEMA 2nd Response Unit for my truck) in the last two weeks have been working remotely. Have only gone out to the pharmacy for prescriptions and into work a couple of times to sign some documents.

My wife has been to the grocery store a few times but has called ahead to stores to ensure they have what she is looking for to limit the risk of exposure. She is supposed to be off work for 3-weeks however I told her to expect a furlough or layoff to happen.

From looking at China and other places it is 2 or 3 months not 2 or 3 weeks to get it under control. This is going to have a devastating effect on the economy.
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." Mike Tomlin

Stlcrtn1974
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm

I still dont get how China wasnt hit harder then they were. They had no pre-warning like the rest of the world did. You have to figure that the virus was spreading for weeks before they knew what they were dealing with.
You guys are very fortunate that you dont have to put yourself or family at risk as I and my co-workers do. We have no n95 masks, using surgical masks which do little to nothing for our protection. We are prohibited from going to the office where our managers are but are fully expected to be out seeing our patients. The feeling of knowing that I am going to get this and pass it to my wife who has an autoimmune disease is taking everything out of me, I am about done.

User avatar
beerbrother
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by beerbrother » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:49 pm

One of my sisters is a nurse and heavily involved in testing for the virus so at high risk. She also helps care for my aging mother with mild dementia putting her in danger of catching it.

Fortunately my mother has always had a strong immune system so I'm hoping for the best and it won't be a death sentence if she gets it.

My wife's uncle in Salinas, CA just had a friend die of the virus. Mid-fifties with no health issues. And even though his friend died her uncle was still complaining that he couldn't go back to work.

People that don't take this seriously are causing a major burden on the health care system and could literally be killing others.
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." Mike Tomlin

User avatar
beerbrother
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by beerbrother » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Stlcrtn1974 what should a person do if they have the virus to lessen the chances of severe complications?

Read something about it being in the throat prior to the lungs and gargling with salt water (I put a little hydrogen peroxide in) can help.

Would there be significant benefits be to using a neti pot or navage?

My daughter was reading something last night about people using Advil & Motrin tended to be worse than people using Tylenol.

Not sure if this is urban legend or based on factual data.
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." Mike Tomlin

Stlcrtn1974
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Unfortunately, it seems to me like the experts don't really know what to do. I think you hit the nail on the head about a strong immune system, you more then likely will have mild symptoms. All I know is the fucking morons who were trying to downplay this look really foolish.

User avatar
beerbrother
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by beerbrother » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks, appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the matter.
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." Mike Tomlin

User avatar
CORE-TEN
Posts: 8808
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by CORE-TEN » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:47 pm

I read today that 5-10% of those in china that had it, were asymptomatic, or recovered, and are getting the virus again. Not sure the heard immunity or antibody thing is worked out or even tested. New cases appear both because this virus is new, and some testing kits are defective.

I also read that mortality rates as a result of corona virus are being underreported. Not necessarily with sinister motivation, but because of late reporting, and in some hospitals doctors are being advised not to test for the virus unless they think it will have an effect on treatment. Some people enter the hospital with respiratory illness, either die (unreported because no tests were administered) or recover without a test. So that data is not being collected. Doctors in LA and NYC are seeing the same thing. People die, and it isn't being reported for whatever reason.

I've said this weeks ago. The actual mortality rate and % of infected won't be known definitively, if at all. There is no reason to believe any of the data at this point other than the curve shown for various countries. And even that can't be compared as there are cultural and demographic differences (as well countries with a history with transmissible diseases), and systems of governance that can be more useful in combating a virus. Although everybody says you don't need to wear a mask (I've also read that a mask can give you a 5 fold rise in protection), asian countries have commonly used masks for all kinds of reasons.

And to think some people in NYC (mostly conservatives, by their own admission) are throwing corona virus parties, and going to restaurants incognito, to establishments that are operating against the state and city mandate to shut down table service. They essentially said that they want everybody to get infected, while protecting the vulnerable. How exactly is that protecting the vulnerable unless they are quarantined for the rest of their lives?

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm
I still dont get how China wasnt hit harder then they were.
They're lying?

User avatar
jebrick
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by jebrick » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm
I still dont get how China wasnt hit harder then they were. They had no pre-warning like the rest of the world did. You have to figure that the virus was spreading for weeks before they knew what they were dealing with.
China was draconian in their quarantine. People were locked in their houses and not allowed out. They had people in hazmat suits deliver food. They stopped all deliveries to Wuhan ( that is why they were running out of toilet paper). You can find videos of them welding doors shut and arresting people for being out without a mask.

I agree that many Americans are not taking this seriously. The Florida Governor should be held criminally negligent in his actions to allow restaurants and bars to remain open for spring break. New Orleans is now paying for having Marti Gras. In a week or so I expect Palm Beach to be the next NYC


JJT07
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Post by JJT07 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Funny the Guardian is writing this as their Prime Minister just got diagnosed.....maybe they should worry about their own country. Or Italy? Spain?

This is all about managing our healthcare system. Once we get through the surge we should be ok. Everybody is going to get this at some point, we just can't all get it at once.

On another note, I just saw Omar Kahn running down my street and realized he lives in my neighborhood! Funny.

rooneytunes
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Post by rooneytunes » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:50 pm

This may be a dumb question bit is it possible that people can get "more" of the infection than the next person? Like you are infected and you are infected but he has more virus "spores or whatever" than you.

Doesnt make sense that a perfectly healthy 40 year old dies but an 80 year old recovers. How is that possible?

Or is it based on genetics or blood type?
Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic