Pick 1. 20 Troy Fautanu OL Washington

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
VeritasSteel

Re: Pick 1. 20 Troy Fautanu OL Washington

Post by VeritasSteel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:20 pm

LT or RT does it matter? Now we have two nasty mofos who want to bury LBs in the run game. I could see us leading the league in unnecessary roughness calls by linemen. Diabolical.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:20 pm
LT or RT does it matter? Now we have two nasty mofos who want to bury LBs in the run game. I could see us leading the league in unnecessary roughness calls by linemen. Diabolical.
Valid
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:20 pm
Gawd I hope not. This offense isn’t being built to overcome penalties. ;)
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 pm

I could get behind some bully ball. Problem is Meyer again took half a season to get those guys together. First year can be excused, but the second year with almost all the same guys is a major point of concern.

Although I suppose if they round into a mauling machine a slow start doesn't matter. Pretty much destined for a 6-7 seed, regardless.

But they're all in for [one] playoff win!!!!!

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 pm
I could get behind some bully ball. Problem is Meyer again took half a season to get those guys together. First year can be excused, but the second year with almost all the same guys is a major point of concern.

Although I suppose if they round into a mauling machine a slow start doesn't matter. Pretty much destined for a 6-7 seed, regardless.

I really wish they'd bring back Munch-

Of course it isn't happening, but it would certainly make a difference.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 pm

Baby steps…
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 am

If they were smart they’d call Munchak and make him the highest paid oline coach in the league.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 am

cop1211 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 am
If they were smart they’d call Munchak and make him the highest paid oline coach in the league.

This IS Pittsburgh we’re talking about…., by that I mean status quo.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 am
cop1211 wrote:

I don’t even think that’s it.

I think there is some “issue” between he and Tomlin.

That could be Tomlins pride or something equally petty

Tomlin was asked about bringing Munchack back, early on in the offseason, and his response was short and clipped

I’m paraphrasing, but his response was, “we’re happy with who we have.” Completely dismissing the question, or potential improvement in bringing back Munch

Tomlin is a dolt

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 pm
Steelafan77 wrote:
cop1211 wrote:

Tomlin was asked about bringing Munchack back, early on in the offseason, and his response was short and clipped

I’m paraphrasing, but his response was, “we’re happy with who we have.” Completely dismissing the question, or potential improvement in bringing back Munch

Tomlin is a dolt
Is Tomlin's response you cite really dispositive, though, or anything like dispositive?
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 pm
anpsteel wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Tomlin is a dolt
Is Tomlin's response you cite really dispositive, though, or anything like dispositive?
The response indicated it wasn’t even in consideration

That you wouldn’t consider bringing in a coach, who would clearly be an improvement, in an area the team is severely lacking is telling.

Mind you, Munchack was asked about coming back, and his response seemed to be open to it.

Take that for what you will

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Yes, the issue is Tomlin is a dumbass and Munchak knows it.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 pm
anpsteel wrote:
Yes, the issue is Tomlin is a dumbass and Munchak knows it.
I wouldn’t rule that out

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 pm
anpsteel wrote:

Tomlin is a dolt

That you wouldn’t consider bringing in a coach, who would clearly be an improvement, in an area the team is severely lacking is telling.

Mind you, Munchack was asked about coming back, and his response seemed to be open to it.

That's hardly a sign of an "issue" between Tomlin an Munchak. It tells Tomlin likes who they have, not that there's an "issue." Sure, there could be.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Some of you are really off the rails

Lolololz

1. No HC mid season in a press conference is going to give any indication they wanna get rid of who they have. Particularly not when they are under fire. Lolololz

2. Let’s be honest. Munchak is a good OL coach but a failure as anything more than that. He left the Steelers and went somewhere else to coach when he was pretty much gifted a job for life as the Steelers OL coach. If Tomlin genuinely is a little cool on him at this point it’s because Munchak earned it.

3. Tomlin has some legitimate faults. Manufacturing endless bs at every turn in regards to him is insubordinate and churlish
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Some of you are really off the rails

Lolololz

1. No HC mid season in a press conference is going to give any indication they wanna get rid of who they have. Particularly not when they are under fire. Lolololz

2. Let’s be honest. Munchak is a good OL coach but a failure as anything more than that. He left the Steelers and went somewhere else to coach when he was pretty much gifted a job for life as the Steelers OL coach. If Tomlin genuinely is a little cool on him at this point it’s because Munchak earned it.

3. Tomlin has some legitimate faults. Manufacturing endless bs at every turn in regards to him is insubordinate and churlish
Some of you can’t read.

I clearly stated, off season

:roll: :roll:

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:03 pm

Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 pm
anpsteel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 pm

That's hardly a sign of an "issue" between Tomlin an Munchak. It tells Tomlin likes who they have, not that there's an "issue." Sure, there could be.
I despise Tomlin as a coach.

Does that taint how I perceive his actions and words?

Absolutely

But let’s be clear, the fantastic line coach they currently have,- who wasn’t in consideration for being replaced by possibly the best line coach they’ve had in decades,- is so good, they let go two drafted oline picks, that they couldn’t get to perform. They then went on to be good to excellent starters on other teams.

Net net: I have little faith in Meyer or Tomlin

franco32

Post by franco32 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 pm

I spent a lot of time watching Fautanu film this weekend. I had seen Washington games but never focused that much on him. Now I understand why. Nobody does anything against him.

He's not only an athletic freak but his technique is outstanding. (I know he's older, but he's MUCH more advanced than Broderick).

I'm now ELATED we picked him. Here is a nice breakdown of Martz analyzing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2SV4-mQnY
Last edited by franco32 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 pm

franco32 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 pm
I spent a lot of time watching Fautanu film this weekend. I had seen Washington games but never focused that much on him. Now I understand why. Nobody doesn't anything against him.

He's not only an athletic freak but his technique is outstanding. (I know he's older, but he's MUCH more advanced than Broderick).

I agree Franco. I didn’t know a lot about him, but after Steelers picked him, I’ve been watching and reading up on him. Technically, he’s about as good as it gets. Love the pick!

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:33 am

franco32 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 pm
I spent a lot of time watching Fautanu film this weekend. I had seen Washington games but never focused that much on him. Now I understand why. Nobody does anything against him.

I don’t mind the pick, but isn’t he 24? His technique SHOULD be outstanding.

That’s also a big age difference in college. He was pushing around kids as young as 18. I’m not saying he isn’t good, but I’d be curious as to the age breakdown of the players he was lined up against.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

franco32

Post by franco32 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:13 pm

He's 23. Given COVID and all of that, I can live with someone turning 24 mid-season. There is another way to look at this. Not everyone he was facing was young. COVID created a lot of older players in college football and so that is a factor. Also, I don't mind an older player IF the extra year makes him more pro-ready and IF he's still athletically a freak (which Fautanu is).

The problem with older players who are not athletic freaks or outliers is that they have no margin to get better. I think Fautanu will just get better and better and you can't teach that long wingspan, wide base, and great feet (along with core strength and punch).

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:58 pm

franco32 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:13 pm
He's 23. Given COVID and all of that, I can live with someone turning 24 mid-season. There is another way to look at this. Not everyone he was facing was young. COVID created a lot of older players in college football and so that is a factor. Also, I don't mind an older player IF the extra year makes him more pro-ready and IF he's still athletically a freak (which Fautanu is).

The problem with older players who are not athletic freaks or outliers is that they have no margin to get better. I think Fautanu will just get better and better and you can't teach that long wingspan, wide base, and great feet (along with core strength and punch).
This might be the oldest Steelers draft class of all time, 23.36 years of age average for the 7 picks.

jmacinwbp

Post by jmacinwbp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:58 pm
franco32 wrote:

This might be the oldest Steelers draft class of all time, 23.36 years of age average for the 7 picks.

My guess is that even when the COVID influence on players staying the extra year is done, the increasing amount of NIL $$$ players get is going to cause the average ages of most subsequent drafts to be in this range from here on out.

Making a decent wage will probably incentivize some of the best players to stay for 3-4 years of college.

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:24 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
franco32 wrote:

Would hypothesize that other teams had a similar draft class avg age.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:41 pm

Deebo wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:24 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
franco32 wrote:

Would hypothesize that other teams had a similar draft class avg age.
I'll take a look at the teams who drafted some of the youngest players and see what I can see.

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 pm

jmacinwbp wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
franco32 wrote:

My guess is that even when the COVID influence on players staying the extra year is done, the increasing amount of NIL $$$ players get is going to cause the average ages of most subsequent drafts to be in this range from here on out.

Making a decent wage will probably incentivize some of the best players to stay for 3-4 years of college.
i’m sure NIL will have some impact, but the main factor is that every player who has come out over the past 4 drafts has had a minimum of 5 years of eligibility, 6 years with redshirt. 2025 will be the first draft since 2019 where some players will be out of eligibility after only 4 years in college. Average draft pick age will decline over the next ~3 years as the six year eligibility track fades away.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 pm

BROWNS: Michael Hall, Zack Zinter, Jamar Thrash, Myles Harden, Bubba Watson: avg age 22.7

That should be one of the younger classes... Michael Hall was like the thrid youngest in the class and Harden is also on the young side.

So, only a half-year difference.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri May 10, 2024 11:38 pm

I wonder if Tomlin called Adrian Klemm and when Klemm said he did not like Fautanu then that sealed the deal that the kid may be good.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:53 am

https://youtu.be/7dnmgIbErpw?si=iFsOnQfpNeUPOa9P

Looks like Troy has been playing RT. For whatever reason I’m not able to embed the actual video.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sat May 11, 2024 1:26 pm

well Tomlin's general position of, draft em young, so the team gets more out of them, has proven to be useless.. so you might as well draft a more developed, quicker to start, player.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic