LeBeau sees shift in Steelers defensive strategies

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Legacy User

LeBeau sees shift in Steelers defensive strategies

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:00 am

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/651 ... z39NtcefOX

Dick LeBeau is making official what has been evident since the first day of offseason workouts. Ryan Shazier will be the first rookie to start in his defense since LeBeau returned to the Steelers in 2004.

“He's going to start. Yeah, he's going to start,” LeBeau said. “Whether that was the situation or not (Shazier being a first rounder), he was going to start in the NFL. … We'll try not to overload him, but he's going to start, no question about it.”

But even as LeBeau officially proclaimed Shazier as a starter, he said that starting roles, positions and even basic formations are becoming blurred as the Steelers and the rest of the NFL try to keep up with the greatest offensive revelation in a generation.

Before, rookies simply found the leap from college ball to the Steelers' sophisticated defense too much to master in a few months. Now, not only will Shazier start at inside linebacker, second-round pick Stephon Tuitt could start at left defensive end.

“He's definitely going to get a significant amount of playing time,” LeBeau said. “He's shown us a lot of athleticism for a big guy, and he's in great shape. He can run all day.”

That's the key for any NFL defense today — being able to run, and run some more, and play fast at the same time offenses are reducing their dependency on the running game.

For the first time in NFL history, teams are expected to average 700 yards per game this season — last year, it was 697. That's an increase of more than 40 yards per game in just a few years, and LeBeau knows why.

“The game is in a constant state of change, and it's evolving into a wide-open, run-and-shoot, option type of thing,” LeBeau said. “(Offenses) are going to use different personnel packages, and you have to match up.”

Watch a Steelers' Super Bowl tape from the 1970s, and the same Hall of Fame defenders stay on the field play after play. But, today, keeping the same 11 for more than one play is as antiquated as the drop kick.

On the first day of camp, LeBeau told his defense that every player in the meeting room at the start of the season likely will start a game — and that player should consider himself a starter.

“I think that every team in today's NFL plays younger players earlier than they used to,” LeBeau said.

The defining line of whether a defense plays a 3-4 or a 4-3 also is blurred. With all offenses regularly employing extra wide receivers and tight ends in what not long ago were considered gimmick formations, sub packages — as coach Mike Tomlin said — are becoming the base defense.

“Back in early 1960s, it was 62 percent running and 38 percent passing,” LeBeau said. “Now it's just the opposite.”

For any defense, getting fast defenders on the field is paramount. Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan told the Wall Street Journal he plans to play his 11 best players, regardless of position — including three safeties because they're fast enough to cover receivers and strong enough to defend the run.

“We do that against the big, bulked-up running teams because your safeties usually are the bigger, stronger guys,” LeBeau said. “We have a defense that's called ‘3 Safeties.' But usually we're looking to match up against their speed, and that means extra corners.”

All of this interchangeability means Shazier and Arthur Moats are playing outside and inside. Jarvis Jones moves inside on some plays. Shamarko Thomas might play in any formation.

At the same time, LeBeau intends to get back to playing Troy Polamalu primarily in the secondary. According to Pro Football Focus, Polamalu was one of only two NFL safeties — Kenny Vaccaro of Ryan's defense was the other — to play more than 70 percent of his snaps within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage in 2013.

“I'd rather have him back there rolling around and then come up to the line sometimes,” LeBeau said.

On a Steelers defense that likely will resemble none before it, seeing Polamalu mostly in pass coverage again might be the only return to the past.

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:42 am

:shock:

What about the 4 year residency for Shazier?
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:17 pm

It's more shit journalism rolling but not knowing where the fuck he going...

Yes, passing is up and packages are more important. But it seems every media dumb fuck has disregarded we were 9 vs the pass and 21 vs the run. If memory serves we were top 5 in surrendering passing plays of 20 yards or more...but we were top 5 in 20 yard + rushes and gave up 5 rushes of 50 or more.

Speed kills on defense...but only if it can finish the play. To me it was obvious lack of heart, fundamentals, and size last year...but far be it from reality to get in the way of a trendy story.

StillMadAtSlobber

Post by StillMadAtSlobber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Zivco wrote:Speed kills on defense...but only if it can finish the play. To me it was obvious lack of heart, fundamentals, and size last year...but far be it from reality to get in the way of a trendy story.

That brushes by epic weaknesses last year like not having a competent replacement for Foote, Ryan Clark playing horrible, a worthless pass rush from the OLBs and Troy playing out of position for most of the year.
Mike Tomlin: Bringing mediocrity to the 'Burgh for over a decade.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:07 pm

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Zivco wrote:Speed kills on defense...but only if it can finish the play. To me it was obvious lack of heart, fundamentals, and size last year...but far be it from reality to get in the way of a trendy story.

That brushes by epic weaknesses last year like not having a competent replacement for Foote, Ryan Clark playing horrible, a worthless pass rush from the OLBs and Troy playing out of position for most of the year.

This is part of the problem. Most everything you state is pass defense oriented. The pass D was 9, it was the run defense that killed us. The media is so in love with passing offense and splash plays the fundamentals are brushed off as to be expected...there is no inevitable return to previous heights...it's not just going to fix itself.

Steel Mike

Post by Steel Mike » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Zivco wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

This is part of the problem. Most everything you state is pass defense oriented. The pass D was 9, it was the run defense that killed us. The media is so in love with passing offense and splash plays the fundamentals are brushed off as to be expected...there is no inevitable return to previous heights...it's not just going to fix itself.

With that said, don't you think part of the reason the defense ranked so high was because it was so shitty against the run?

I'm assuming these are the yardage rankings, so it might be safe to assume that teams didn't have to throw as much since they could just run the ball with a lot of success - thus leading to lower passing yardage overall.
Twitter: @MikeDForThree

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:16 pm

I think ALL the talk about the Steelers defense thus far this season is about the pass defense. I have heard barely anything about making moves to strengthen the run defense, yet the run defense was a significant problem last year.

I suppose you could argue that the Steelers personnel issue last year was that the personnel package that best stopped the run was a liability vs the pass... and the threat of giving up big plays vs the pass was perceived to be a bigger issue.

Let's face it, if you can't be pretty good vs pass and run with both your ILBs on the field-- houston, we have a problem... you're not a 3-4 defense anymore and you have the wrong DL on the roster.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 pm

There was a slight tendency toward run against us relative to league averages, but not by much. On a per play basis, we were 10th against the pass in net yards per attempt (which includes sacks as pass plays).

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Steel Mike wrote:
Zivco wrote:[, and size last year...but far be it from reality to get in the way of a trendy story.

This is part of the problem. Most everything you state is pass defense oriented. The pass D was 9, it was the run defense that killed us. The media is so in love with passing offense and splash plays the fundamentals are brushed off as to be expected...there is no inevitable return to previous heights...it's not just going to fix itself.[/quote]

With that said, don't you think part of the reason the defense ranked so high was because it was so shitty against the run?

I'm assuming these are the yardage rankings, so it might be safe to assume that teams didn't have to throw as much since they could just run the ball with a lot of success - thus leading to lower passing yardage overall.[/quote]

Exactly. Look at any that gets the ball jammed down their throats in the run game. They always have a "good" pass defense statistically.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:19 pm

R S wrote:Exactly. Look at any that gets the ball jammed down their throats in the run game. They always have a "good" pass defense statistically.

We faced right around NFL average at both. Slightly over 27 runs per game, slightly over 35 passes per game. Not so exactly

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:46 pm

I'm pretty fucking sure the Steelers organization recognized these problems last season --

That's why:

1. our number 1 pick was an ILB, not WR or CB
2. our number 2 pick was a DL not WR or CB
3. our big splash free agent signing was a safety
4. our other FA signing was a DL

we are clearly addressing our problems on defense, including against the run game

we have added speed and youth and athleticism

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:03 pm

My comments weren't about the players the PS perceive to be the fix to the problems. That's a week off...

My comments went towards the ongoing media and poster theme that the passing defense was the biggest problem of the D.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:33 pm

I guess I'm in the minority.....didn't think the run defense was that awful last year. What I saw was a run defense that wasn't what we are used to, but still more than adequate. The blown assignments/sloppy tackling giving is what killed them. Troy actually back playing safety and Clark NOT playing safety is going to go a long way to eliminating those huge runs.

In other words, the half dozen 50+ yard plays or whatever are mostly an anomaly and the other 400+ plays against the run they were more than decent (on average).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Zivco wrote:My comments weren't about the players the PS perceive to be the fix to the problems. That's a week off...

My comments went towards the ongoing media and poster theme that the passing defense was the biggest problem of the D.

wasn't commenting toward you -- just at the world in general and the media

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Kodiak wrote:I guess I'm in the minority.....didn't think the run defense was that awful last year. What I saw was a run defense that wasn't what we are used to, but still more than adequate. The blown assignments/sloppy tackling giving is what killed them. Troy actually back playing safety and Clark NOT playing safety is going to go a long way to eliminating those huge runs.

In other words, the half dozen 50+ yard plays or whatever are mostly an anomaly and the other 400+ plays against the run they were more than decent (on average).
run D wasn't truly awful, but saying "we would have been about average if we hadn't given up quite so many huge plays" is a lot like being below average.

We gave up 18 rushing tds. They weren't all big plays; teams were able to run the ball in the red zone against us. That's a big problem. This team simply isn't going to win a championship this year without a very good defense, and the defense simply can't be very good, no matter what they do against the pass, if the run D stays that soft.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:07 pm

This is very refreshing to hear on multiple levels. First off, the speed thing. There's just no place anymore for plodders. Not like everyone has to be sub 4.4, but every player has to be able to run and keep it going for 60 minutes.

Second, it's great to hear young players will play. No doubt LeBeau's been lobbying for Foote and Keisal to come back and start. In a way, Colbert-Tomlin have practically forced the issue. There are no real good safety blanket options. Steelers have to get Jervis, Shazier, Tutitt, Mitchell, etc. productive. And quick. Season is starting in a month.

LeBeau is going to have to scrap his cherished bend don't break coverage shells and match up on speed, be aggressive, force turnovers. IOW, they're going to have to start playing Steelers Defense the way Steelers Fucking Defense should be played in the 21st century.

I don't even care what statistically they end up being. I want to see hard, fast, mean D. That is all.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:59 pm

My comments here started off about the article...but the fact is I get fairly pissed at the idea of the defense is all DL...and NO MT...despite the fact that many credit him with contributing to the SB win and he is from the defensive side of the ball.

So my ass starts to burn and I start running searches...and never quite find what I'm looking for. But I did find some surprising information. I'm fairly certain my recall on the big runs against were wrong in at least how they compared to the rest of the NFL. It turns out we were 4th in the NFL in terms of giving up run plays over 10 yards. So it looks to be more of an ass beat on a regular basis then a big play thing.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-rushing-big-plays-against/2013/

This soft ass vs the run D is re enforced by stuff percentage/tackles for a loss at next to last in the NFL-

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-stuff-percentage/2013/

Anyhow, could find nothing specific on a play by play basis...but both the PS and the Seahawks were described as cover 3 and cover 1 teams...they obviously show press more but they bail out of it alot. I think much of this is over stated hooey but no play by play way of proving it. I do know this...Lewis got his hands on 24 balls with no picks his last year here...last year he got 4 picks on 14 PDs...and you can't tell me trail is easier to find the ball in. Half the big runs we gave up last year were in press across the field...

This defense is nothing like it was 3 years ago. It'sTomlins D...every multiple blade of grass with cornerback like bodies with position flexibilty...DL's defense :lol:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 pm

mick wrote:We gave up 18 rushing tds.

That's a good point. But shore-up the splash plays (which is very correctable) and you are talking @ 10th in YPA and rushing TD's, which is right around where SF and CLE would be (two defenses I'd guess most wouldn't say have problems with rush defense).

Splash plays aside, I think the bigger issue with the defense IS the pass rush and interceptions.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:07 pm

People get a thought in there head and no matter what they will stick with it.

Hilarious.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:08 pm

I thought they did the right things during free agency; I thought the drafting of Shazier and Jones last two years were massive mistakes. The Archer pick is also a fail unless he truly does play offensive snaps.

My issue with Shazier pick isn't about his athleticism-- I think he'll offer some good things on 3rd downs and passing situations, particularly-- it's just the use of a rare top half of 1st draft pick for an ILB, period.

I certainly hope to be proven wrong but I see this:
subtracting Clark = huge plus
adding Mitchell = solid signing; exciting, even
trading Woods for Cam = almost a wash
losing Keisel = small loss
adding McCain = small gain
adding Tuitt and Shaq = pretty good fits and value

without even adding Shazier, that is a defense better than last year-- would have been good enough to be a playoff team minus the Clark bonehead plays

on offense, we're depending on two "Pro Bowl" type players who haven't proven they are going to be as good as before after catastrophic knee injuries, we lost our #2 and #3 WRs, our OTs are totally questionable, we added Blount-- in general, mostly not as solid as last year in personnel. You turn that Shazier pick into Benjamin and a 3rd round pick or turn it into an OT and a 2nd... I think it helps this team more.

The Steelers have really put their eggs in the baskets of Jones and Shazier. If those two aren't home runs, it's going to be a tough go.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:12 pm

"Toxic differnential"...this is very telling. Based on a net differential of turnovers and splash plays. It's been well below their average for PIT the past 3 years, and trending down. Only years it was lower were 1998, 1999 and 2003.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/teams ... onMin=1990

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Zivco wrote:People get a thought in there head and no matter what they will stick with it.

Hilarious.

Turnovers and splash plays decide football games. I didn't think this was new or particularly insightful, but you can continue to believe otherwise.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Zivco wrote:My comments here started off about the article...but the fact is I get fairly pissed at the idea of the defense is all DL...and NO MT...despite the fact that many credit him with contributing to the SB win and he is from the defensive side of the ball.

So my ass starts to burn and I start running searches...and never quite find what I'm looking for. But I did find some surprising information. I'm fairly certain my recall on the big runs against were wrong in at least how they compared to the rest of the NFL. It turns out we were 4th in the NFL in terms of giving up run plays over 10 yards. So it looks to be more of an ass beat on a regular basis then a big play thing.

This soft ass vs the run D is re enforced by stuff percentage/tackles for a loss at next to last in the NFL-

Anyhow, could find nothing specific on a play by play basis...but both the PS and the Seahawks were described as cover 3 and cover 1 teams...they obviously show press more but they bail out of it alot. I think much of this is over stated hooey but no play by play way of proving it. I do know this...Lewis got his hands on 24 balls with no picks his last year here...last year he got 4 picks on 14 PDs...and you can't tell me trail is easier to find the ball in. Half the big runs we gave up last year were in press across the field...

This defense is nothing like it was 3 years ago. It'sTomlins D...every multiple blade of grass with cornerback like bodies with position flexibilty...DL's defense :lol:

Good stuff Ziv. thinking back over the past few seasons, I remember us being far less likely to blow up a running plays than in previous years. Lack of explosive guys affecting both the pass rush and the run D. And of course if you aren't sacking the QB, getting in his face, hitting the RB as soon as they get the ball etc. you aren't going to force turnovers.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Kodiak wrote:Turnovers and splash plays decide football games. I didn't think this was new or particularly insightful, but you can continue to believe otherwise.

I wish they would have put the exact formula up...but my opinion is games are won and lost on turnovers. Turnovers come most often from making teams one dimensional by taking the run away. As far as this offense goes...we are limited by the tackles. And you can't give up short fields if you can't stuff the run.

Lifelongsteel wrote:Good stuff Ziv. thinking back over the past few seasons, I remember us being far less likely to blow up a running plays than in previous years. Lack of explosive guys affecting both the pass rush and the run D. And of course if you aren't sacking the QB, getting in his face, hitting the RB as soon as they get the ball etc. you aren't going to force turnovers.

No Deebo. No Hampton or Smith. So much of this defense is hanging on JW and CH winning one on one match ups when they get them...and it sounds like Tuitt can really contribute to packages...even if he doesn't start he could see 50% plus of snaps.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Happy to see Shazier is labeled as the starter. Throw him into the fire and let him experience growing pains ASAP.

Hopefully Tuitt gets some quality reps as well.

Love to see the young guys getting the reps.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:40 pm

I think football is very different from baseball in this respect.

You really can't throw a young prospect into an MLB roster w/o years of practice in the minors.

Even for baseball players who go to college and play for 3-4 years, they need to go to the minors for a couple more years before being promoted to MLB. They can't "learn" the game at that level.

Football is so much different. College players usually are not immediately ready to play at a high level in the NFL, but that is where they can learn and get better. Hopefully, they can learn from veterans surrounding them, and not with a bunch of other rookies in a rebuilding effort.

Unlike the MLB, the NFL can't sit around and "season" the young players on the bench for years before they play. They need playing time to get better immediately.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Zivco wrote:I wish they would have put the exact formula up...but my opinion is games are won and lost on turnovers.

I remember Tomlin saying something about splash splays being correlated with winning and losing. I don't think the "formula" is complicated - I think it's just a net of turnovers and plays over 20 yards. I'd guess splash plays are also somewhat correlated with scoring, so in that regard the formula is probably a little bit better than just turnover margin (which is likely still the dominant factor).

Distribution would paint an even more telling picture as being +10 in one game isn't going to help you win next week.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Zivco wrote:My comments here started off about the article...but the fact is I get fairly pissed at the idea of the defense is all DL...and NO MT...despite the fact that many credit him with contributing to the SB win and he is from the defensive side of the ball.

Good stuff Ziv. thinking back over the past few seasons, I remember us being far less likely to blow up a running plays than in previous years. Lack of explosive guys affecting both the pass rush and the run D. And of course if you aren't sacking the QB, getting in his face, hitting the RB as soon as they get the ball etc. you aren't going to force turnovers.

I don't think its accurate to call PS cover 1 or cover 3 team. Both are looks to strengthen run defense. I obviously don't have any numbers to back it up, but I recall seeing more cover 2, quarters, and combination coverages than pure cover 1 or cover 3. I think Seattle is big time cover 1, Steelers seem to run a lot of 2 man and the combo's with cover 5-6-7

Not even worth debating, its just how you use Troy Polamalu

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Iron_City wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

I don't think its accurate to call PS cover 1 or cover 3 team. Both are looks to strengthen run defense. I obviously don't have any numbers to back it up, but I recall seeing more cover 2, quarters, and combination coverages than pure cover 1 or cover 3. I think Seattle is big time cover 1, Steelers seem to run a lot of 2 man and the combo's with cover 5-6-7

Not even worth debating, its just how you use Troy Polamalu

they do run a lot of combos-- and, to be fair, I haven't looked at any footage since the season ended-- but they do set up in cover 3 shells and then react to certain route combos by having the outside guys change their coverage. Sometimes they carry them deep, sometimes they play different leverage, sometimes they play almost like cover 2 technique on the outside. Sometimes they do two different coverages on each side of the field and add under coverage from the LBs/SS/slot guy. All of it sucks when there's no pass rush lol

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 am

Kodiak wrote:
Zivco wrote:People get a thought in there head and no matter what they will stick with it.

Hilarious.

Turnovers and splash plays decide football games. I didn't think this was new or particularly insightful, but you can continue to believe otherwise.

Agree

I think the Saints, Pats and Packers were able to over come porous defenses by having those turnovers and splash plays- I believe they were bottom 5 during each of their SB runs. The problem with having a defense like that if you play a team that controls the clock and doesnt turn the ball over- you are in trouble. Packers and Pats got beat by the Giants and the Saints really can't find a way to beat the Niners.

I just think that we as fans are a bit spoiled because the bar has been set high, if you will. I love our offense, but we need to get some of these splash plays and turnovers on defense to actually take these weak teams on our schedule out early

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic