AB workout video

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:16 am

Modified Pilates might be helpful in addition to weight training...but her quotes were bullshit. Harrison and the other believers in sports massage get the facia broken up with no CNS debt.

I'm a big believer in Westside principles...and so are the 49ers, Hags, Saints, and as of this year the Jags and Cards S and C guys.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Interesting video. Pilates will kick your ass if you've never done it before. TRX is great too. Both will you get really good muscle endurance gains. Don't know how football useful it is, but it can't hurt. Brown seems to have that Ike Taylor workout mentality.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Still Lit wrote:Interesting video. Pilates will kick your ass if you've never done it before. TRX is great too. Both will you get really good muscle endurance gains. Don't know how football useful it is, but it can't hurt. Brown seems to have that Ike Taylor workout mentality.

Pilates fills a certain gap in training-- originally developed as workout for boxing, FYI

However, I think you've got to combine with anaerobic plyometrics to make it fully football oriented. Pilates is not going to improve explosion but it's great structurally and for balance and core strength.

When I did yoga/plyo/Pilates/anaerobic combo for an hour twice a week, after two months, everyone I played football with and against started asking me what workout I was doing-- huge difference.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 pm

As long as he keeps playing the way he's playing, I could care less what his work out is!

Be great!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:38 pm

I wasn't bombing on Pilates. Imo any sort of resistance training is great for non athletes. Weight training and boxing...that's a controversy I really can't take a side on...but my general belief is if it increases arm size it's no good, but there is vast, differing opinion here.

As far as football goes I'm leaning towards a pretty simple idea...all lifting should be low to mid range reps that work large muscle groups...due to stress on the CNS I want to reserve what is left towards running, specifically High Impact Interval Training rather then spend it on supplemental lifts.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:24 pm

see, I think you're way better off not running much at all, other than football drills/practice. You can do high impact interval training, specifically anaerobic plyo, without running at all, although i'd do kerbing or fartlek as an accompaniment to explosion. I'm with you, though, on something less than max weights. You're way better off throwing a medicine ball for several reps vs. benching a max a few times.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:57 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:see, I think you're way better off not running much at all, other than football drills/practice. You can do high impact interval training, specifically anaerobic plyo, without running at all, although i'd do kerbing or fartlek as an accompaniment to explosion. I'm with you, though, on something less than max weights. You're way better off throwing a medicine ball for several reps vs. benching a max a few times.

I googled kerbing. No luck figuring out what that is.

Fartlek though I just learned about. I think I'll incorporate some fartlek into my routine, so I can tell people I do fartlek.

Yes I'm 10 years old.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:07 am

he has flat feet, no arch....hmmmm

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:40 am

One thing I've never seen advocated is playing ice hockey. I played semi-pro for several years, it's almost impossible for me to roll my ankle. I fell close to 10 feet and landed awkwardly on my ankle. It hurt like hell, it turned purple and black, I never walked with a limp and it was gone in a week. When you get used to supporting your entire body weight on 1/8" of steel with your ankles the concept of an ankle injury, that doesn't involve ligament tears, is almost completely foreign.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic