Legacy User

Somebody Still Believes

Post by Legacy User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:02 pm

AFC Power Poll

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... _rosenthal

A class of their own

1. Denver Broncos (4)
2. New England Patriots (5)

It's rare to see so much stability atop a conference. It's also rare to see two of the best quarterbacks of all time playing at their peak in their upper thirties. These have been the best two teams in the AFC for back-to-back seasons, and they both got better.
Playoff teams

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (6)
4. San Diego Chargers (9)
5. Baltimore Ravens (11)
6. Indianapolis Colts (13)

Note that the teams are ranked in order of our overall power poll, rather than what their theoretical playoff seed would be. Even though the Colts could be no lower than the No. 4 in AFC seeding, their significant shortcomings outside of Andrew Luck show up here. No other team in the AFC South ranks in the top 25.

We project a return to normalcy in the AFC North. The Steelers are back as division champions, while we have the Ravens back in the playoffs as a wild card team. The offense can only get better. We also project the Chargers' 2013 resurgence to stick. Philip Rivers should love the team's new up-tempo offense.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Damn fucking right!

And the only reason that the Patsies are in that discussion is that their division is a pack of weak sisters of the poor and have been for most of the past 15 years.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm in agreement, I don't get swayed by the bullshit naysayers around here.

I fully believe in 11-5 and a division title

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Iron_City wrote:I'm in agreement, I don't get swayed by the bullshit naysayers around here.

I'm with you brother, all the fucking way! Let's GO!

Old School Steeler

Post by Old School Steeler » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 am

Trying to rationalize away Philly game and manage my expectations.

I think the pot bust pissed off a few, shocked a few, etc. Either way it's impossible to discount or gauge the impact. More than a few, who work their asses off, eat and live right had to be pissed off at these assholes.

Short week. Usually 3rd game is a mock regular season game and Philly played with purpose & a plan. I don't think we wanted to show too much. Even pass routes looked like go routes or wheels, nothing intricate on offense.

Matchup nightmare.

Regression. Cannot believe good players like Cam & Worilds regressed from last year. Do not believe that the OL has either.

Throwaway. Ben is one of the best in the game, his head wasn't in the game, very unusual. As the debacle was underway I was praying he doesn't get hurt. Throw this game out of the fucking window.

There are a lot of concerns for which I believe there will be some answers. SB team? Unlikely. Playoffs? Maybe.

R_S

Post by R_S » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:39 am

MeanJoeGreene75 wrote:
Iron_City wrote:I'm in agreement, I don't get swayed by the bullshit naysayers around here.

I ride.

After the buffalo game many were predicting 10-11 wins, after this week the same are predicting 3-4.

The emotions swing on this board like pregnant woman. I do not ride with that.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:05 am

R S wrote:
MeanJoeGreene75 wrote:

I ride.

After the buffalo game many were predicting 10-11 wins, after this week the same are predicting 3-4.

The emotions swing on this board like pregnant woman. I do not ride with that.

Buffalo isn't a good football team in any way, shape or form. They have a terrible QB and pretty much everybody on the planet knows they suck dick.

The Eagles are going to be a playoff team who are expected to compete for a championship.

Just thought that needed to be clarified.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:18 am

12-4 folks, book it. Just because we ride.

steeledge

Post by steeledge » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:56 am

SteelBack wrote:12-4 folks, book it. Just because we ride.

Besides, we were 12-4 just 3 seasons ago!!

...oh...wait... :?

I want to Believe, really, and it feels like just 12 months ago that I was here before...

...oh...wait... :?

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:21 am

Buffalo isn't a good football team in any way, shape or form. They have a terrible QB and pretty much everybody on the planet knows they suck dick.

The Eagles are going to be a playoff team who are expected to compete for a championship.

I dont think that was the point, the point was people change their minds on a weekly basis. Fans get their pitchforks and torches out after a preseason loss, and break out the champagne after a preseason win, its hilarious.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:28 am

one game shy either way of 500 [9-7 or 7-9] or 500. It seems when the Steelers are projected to play well they don't and vice a versa. looks like the same team to me but they have, on paper, added some talent. I'm running out of patience with Haley though I blame the players b4 him.Our DB is suspect, IMO.I got nothing against young guys smoking weed but riding around in the car with the windows down and getting popped is not being discreet about it.Silly really but heh they're young.And rich! It's Wake and Bake Part 2,

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 am

Yeah, I'm going to wait until after the Ravens game to form a judgment, especially after being dismantled by Kelly's vanilla O and D first and second teamers.

R_S

Post by R_S » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Still Lit wrote:Yeah, I'm going to wait until after the Ravens game to form a judgment, especially after being dismantled by Kelly's vanilla O and D first and second teamers.

Kelly and vanilla O don't go hand in hand. Regardless of preseason or not.

R_S

Post by R_S » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for proving my point that people need to be a little more even keeled.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:52 pm

It was Vanilla for Kelly. Even if we were 3-0 in preseason, I'd be saying the same thing. The team just does not have proved all around talent. Going to be an interesting year, more interesting than the last two seasons.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Kelly is far from Vanilla in the preseason so stop it. He is the new modern day Steve Spurrier who game planned in the preseason games and was a world beater.....then the regular season a dud. The Steelers starters were playing not to get hurt and it showed. I will be like the other sane people here and reserve judgment when the live bullets are being fired.

Steel Ubaldo

Post by Steel Ubaldo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:39 pm

I don't know how anyone can say this will be a 10+ win team aside from blind faith. I said 8-8 before the preseason and I believe 8 wins until proven otherwise. This is what this franchise has put on paper the last two years. One can live in the land of unicorns and fairies and hope everything goes right and you get to 10 wins or more. I'd rather be realistic and pleasantly surprised if it actually does happen. I will still cheer like hell for them every Sunday without exception.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:08 am

Old School Steeler wrote:Trying to rationalize away Philly game

How about the fact that it was a fucking preseason game? The Steelers did things in the game they wouldn't do in a real game.

For example, it certainly looked to me like the "game plan" was to force feed Wheaton the ball. I say this because of how many times Ben threw Wheaton the ball despite him being well covered. It was as if they said to him "we're targeting you this week, show us what you've got." I don't believe they do that in a real game. When they wanted to score, Ben went to AB and then to Heath. It was against backups, I get it. Doesn't change my point.

I swear I have never gotten worked up or paid attention to what happens in preseason games as much as people on this board do.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:24 am

Still Lit wrote:It was Vanilla for Kelly. Even if we were 3-0 in preseason, I'd be saying the same thing. The team just does not have proved all around talent. Going to be an interesting year, more interesting than the last two seasons.

So then why wasn't it vanilla for Steelers play callers?

It was

People reading too much into that effort

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:44 am

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2014/08/eckel_eagles_wow_nfl_scouts.html

“Wow, look at that,’’ the AFC scout said as running back LeSean McCoy scored the first touchdown of the game. “They are just so hard to defend. Who do you take away? And the quarterback (Nick Foles) makes all the right decisions.’’

The NFC scout whose team will face the Eagles this regular season gave most of the credit to Kelly and his schemes, while also gushing over the likes of Foles, McCoy and others.

“There is somebody open every play,’’ the scout said. “It’s unbelievable. Look at this. I’ve never seen anything like it. He calls the right play every time. This is scary.’’
As the game went on the scouts continued to be impressed.

“They have so many people,’’ the AFC scout said. “They just put different guys in, line them up all over the place, they all seem interchangeable. And they all make plays. It’s pretty amazing.’’

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:13 am

stillthere wrote:http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2014/08/eckel_eagles_wow_nfl_scouts.html

“Wow, look at that,’’ the AFC scout said as running back LeSean McCoy scored the first touchdown of the game. “They are just so hard to defend. Who do you take away? And the quarterback (Nick Foles) makes all the right decisions.’’

The NFC scout whose team will face the Eagles this regular season gave most of the credit to Kelly and his schemes, while also gushing over the likes of Foles, McCoy and others.

“There is somebody open every play,’’ the scout said. “It’s unbelievable. Look at this. I’ve never seen anything like it. He calls the right play every time. This is scary.’’
As the game went on the scouts continued to be impressed.

“They have so many people,’’ the AFC scout said. “They just put different guys in, line them up all over the place, they all seem interchangeable. And they all make plays. It’s pretty amazing.’’

Luckily Chip Kelly, as incompetent as he is, got face Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier so he'll get to keep his job one more week :roll:

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:48 am

We aren't as bad as that looked. Beyond CK's offense...the more I look at it the better that Oline looks...I think they are the best in the NFL at this point...down field the cut blocking was spectacular and their WR's really stick to blocks.

I'm more concerned with the offense...Philly was without one starting CB and NB...and they still didn't respect the passing game. But for better or worse I'll accept the player reports we didn't game plan much.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:07 pm

We need to stop talking about the Philly game. They sucked. In every facet of the game.

Carolina next.

And then Cleveland. Seriously doubt anyone will give a fuck about the Philly game a few weeks from now.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm not backing off my 12-4 prediction, though like most i was more than a little concerned about the game.

the Eagles would probably be the 2nd best team on our schedule behind the saints. Thankfully they aren't on our schedule.

Might have to leave this place for awhile, as the negativity is making me less interested in football and the steelers instead of more so. Jeez, some of you people need to start taking drugs. Or stop taking drugs. Something.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Lifelongsteel wrote:I'm not backing off my 12-4 prediction, though like most i was more than a little concerned about the game.

the Eagles would probably be the 2nd best team on our schedule behind the saints. Thankfully they aren't on our schedule.

Might have to leave this place for awhile, as the negativity is making me less interested in football and the steelers instead of more so. Jeez, some of you people need to start taking drugs. Or stop taking drugs. Something.

My friend, predicting 12-4 after two years of utter mediocrity and a bleh at best preseason...I think you may be the one who needs to start/stop doing drugs.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 pm

SteelBack wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:I'm not backing off my 12-4 prediction, though like most i was more than a little concerned about the game.

My friend, predicting 12-4 after two years of utter mediocrity and a bleh at best preseason...I think you may be the one who needs to start/stop doing drugs.

I may have picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

I respect everyone's picks, whether it's 4-12 or 12-4. The negativity, bedwetting though . . . We're better than that. We're steeler fans. Stop the whining, bitching, moaning. Just f'ing ride until proven otherwise.

Or leave steeler fandom to the real fans, the ones who support the team.

Fury

Post by Fury » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Lifelongsteel wrote:
SteelBack wrote:

I may have picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

I respect everyone's picks, whether it's 4-12 or 12-4. The negativity, bedwetting though . . . We're better than that. We're steeler fans. Stop the whining, bitching, moaning. Just f'ing ride until proven otherwise.

Or leave steeler fandom to the real fans, the ones who support the team.

You see, there needs to be a balance. The overly optimistic folks are pains in the ass as well. Why, there are not realistic. Counter that, I left a web-site that was uber negative because they weren't realistic either.

I've been following this team for a half a century and like a few others here recall when we were the laughing stock of the NFL. I remember bar fights (pre message boards) when someone would say that the great Franco Harris is washed up and needs to go (they were right) and the same fights to bring him back.

I submit that Steelers fans have always been hard on this team, message boards or not. But they are still fans. The other thing to realize is folks like us on message boards are the hardcore fans. Most fans read Steelers news but don't actively contribute to on-line communities. I think praise, glory, bitching and moaning by message boards fans shows more devotion than normal fans. I like to think that even those that are negative or down on the team have at least thought something out before they post. They are still fans though.

Last year started off shitty and some were called bedwetters (a term I hate). Those bedwetters were correct because some of those games that we dropped to go 0-4 and then lost to the Raiders sealed the season's fate more than hoping the officials make a correct call on the last game of the year. The optimistic folks think the Steelers missed the playoffs because of the botched call in KC last December, the "bedwetters" blame missing the playoffs for starting 2-6. Losing a game or two throughout a 16 game season is normal and often understandable or perhaps bad luck. Dropping 6 out of your first 8 is a trend, a negative trend and there is more to losing those games than bad luck.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Fury wrote: You see, there needs to be a balance. The overly optimistic folks are pains in the ass as well. Why, there are not realistic. Counter that, I left a web-site that was uber negative because they weren't realistic either.

I've been following this team for a half a century and like a few others here recall when we were the laughing stock of the NFL. I remember bar fights (pre message boards) when someone would say that the great Franco Harris is washed up and needs to go (they were right) and the same fights to bring him back.

I submit that Steelers fans have always been hard on this team, message boards or not. But they are still fans. The other thing to realize is folks like us on message boards are the hardcore fans. Most fans read Steelers news but don't actively contribute to on-line communities. I think praise, glory, bitching and moaning by message boards fans shows more devotion than normal fans. I like to think that even those that are negative or down on the team have at least thought something out before they post. They are still fans though.

Last year started off shitty and some were called bedwetters (a term I hate). Those bedwetters were correct because some of those games that we dropped to go 0-4 and then lost to the Raiders sealed the season's fate more than hoping the officials make a correct call on the last game of the year. The optimistic folks think the Steelers missed the playoffs because of the botched call in KC last December, the "bedwetters" blame missing the playoffs for starting 2-6. Losing a game or two throughout a 16 game season is normal and often understandable or perhaps bad luck. Dropping 6 out of your first 8 is a trend, a negative trend and there is more to losing those games than bad luck.

There are 10 negative posts and 1 jizzmopper post for every positive one. It's not my site. Just a visitor. But not sure I'd call that balance.

In any case, a great spot for my three favorite things (steelers, debating, hitler videos) has gone so far over the edge in regards to negativity that it is longer a place that brings me any joy or entertainment (Gospel notwithstanding)

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:26 pm

You say that like "jizz mopper" posts are a bad thing.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm

BarryFoster wrote:You say that like "jizz mopper" posts are a bad thing.

Naturally occurring substance, non-toxic, associated with pleasure, fantastic hair gel. I don't get why it's an insult, really.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic