The QB elephant in the room

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
steelclan

Re: The QB elephant in the room

Post by steelclan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:17 am

I was born and raised on single malts.

When I got sick as wee Bairn, Dad would put a drop of Grants (a cheapish blend) on my tongue, He wasn't using the good stuff but helped put me out. Plus as my missuses reminds me, likely killed some brains cells & it shows.

On my 16th my Dad broke out Laphroaig. I wasn't allowed to leave the Kitchen we sat in until him & I had drained the bottle.

On my 18th he handed me a bottle of Macallan 18. "Don't fucking waste it ya wee gobshite."

I wasted it.

Loved single malt all my life. Current favorite is Bruichladdich.

Never been a big fan of Bourbon but my dad loves it. Some weird Scottish people went to Kentucky & Tennessee Hills thing.

BTW both those QBs are not helping this Team. If Ben is past it? Fine, tank and go get Franchise QB. Don't need a teasing back up who wins enough games to keep PS just out of reach.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:25 pm

The defense is good enough to win games; maybe even 8 (like last season). Winston has warts but he’s also capable of putting up numbers, big numbers, in a pro style offense.

We have to, HAVE TO, roster a backup QB that is not named Mason or Duck next season. It’s completely inexcusable not to. I don’t envision another season ending injury for Ben. Could he get dinged and miss a few games? Absolutely; he’s been doing that almost his whole career.

My vote is Winston.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:33 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:25 pm
The defense is good enough to win games; maybe even 8 (like last season). Winston has warts but he’s also capable of putting up numbers, big numbers, in a pro style offense.

We have to, HAVE TO, roster a backup QB that is not named Mason or Duck next season. It’s completely inexcusable not to. I don’t envision another season ending injury for Ben. Could he get dinged and miss a few games? Absolutely; he’s been doing that almost his whole career.

My vote is Winston.
My vote is for the best backup the cap situation allows. The cap situation does not allow for Winston.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:39 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:33 pm
Orangesteel wrote:

My vote is Winston.
My vote is for the best backup the cap situation allows. The cap situation does not allow for Winston.
Where is he going? He isn’t going to start somewhere. So now you winnow down the backup market. Is he an expensive backup? Maybe. But if the cap wizards can get it done, I think they should. Several games last season Winston looked as good offensively as any QB in the league.

I agree the cap dictates but they have to bring in someone capable.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:39 pm
Orangesteel wrote:

My vote is Winston.
Where is he going? He isn’t going to start somewhere. So now you winnow down the backup market. Is he an expensive backup? Maybe. But if the cap wizards can get it done, I think they should. Several games last season Winston looked as good offensively as any QB in the league.

I agree the cap dictates but they have to bring in someone capable.
Narrator: "They didn't bring someone capable. And so the Mike Tomlin Steelers will again be sunk by their backup QB's because they are scared of deviating from the unknown"

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 pm

Lots of time left in the off season yet boys. Might be some much better options available down the road. Does Miami cut Ryan Fitzpatrick after they draft their guy? They would be STUPID, but do the Bengals flat out cut Dalton, to save CAP, after they draft Burrow? Come on, it's the Bengals. Do the Patriots jump up to make a splash and release one of their young guys? Who's dropped from the Chargers roster? The Bears? Redskins? When they gonna cut Alex Smith? Then there's the final 53 cuts. Hell Derek Carr or Stafford could be available then knowing Grudens and the Lions dumb asses.

Give it time to play itself out.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 pm
Lots of time left in the off season yet boys. Might be some much better options available down the road. Does Miami cut Ryan Fitzpatrick after they draft their guy? They would be STUPID, but do the Bengals flat out cut Dalton, to save CAP, after they draft Burrow? Come on, it's the Bengals. Do the Patriots jump up to make a splash and release one of their young guys? Who's dropped from the Chargers roster? The Bears? Redskins? When they gonna cut Alex Smith? Then there's the final 53 cuts. Hell Derek Carr or Stafford could be available then knowing Grudens and the Lions dumb asses.

Good points.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 pm

The Steelers are an aftermath team. They are going to sit back and wait until all the dust clears and go get someone to patch up the holes at a bargain price. There is no telling what's going to happen in the draft. I believe that afterward, it is a buyers market for veterans which is where Colbert likes to be. I don't think that Carr or Stafford are going to be backups because they are better than what Washington, Jacksonville, and Miami currently have at QB. If Stafford gets free I am almost certain the brain trust here in Atlanta will make a play for him- just to get the UGA proletariat asses into the stands for alumni.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Of course CIN is going to cut Dalton to save cap (after no one will trade). He was benched for part of last year, anyway, so they'll roll with Burrows Wk1.

Dalton is the perfect back-up, IMO. He's Charlie Batch-like, at this point, only better. I think his days starting are over, and he knows it. He'll take a back-up deal for @$3M and he could do that in PIT for the next 5-6 years. In PIT he has a shot at a ring, and maybe even play in some big games if Ben gets dinged here and there. In 2-3 years, he might even start a season as the team transitions from Ben.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm
Of course CIN is going to cut Dalton to save cap (after no one will trade). He was benched for part of last year, anyway, so they'll roll with Burrows Wk1.

Dalton is the perfect back-up, IMO. He's Charlie Batch-like, at this point, only better. I think his days starting are over, and he knows it. He'll take a back-up deal for @$3M and he could do that in PIT for the next 5-6 years. In PIT he has a shot at a ring, and maybe even play in some big games if Ben gets dinged here and there. In 2-3 years, he might even start a season as the team transitions from Ben.
I’d be onboard with Dalton too. I think Winston has potentially more upside, but Dalton would be a good get.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:56 pm
Kodiak wrote:

I’d be onboard with Dalton too. I think Winston has potentially more upside, but Dalton would be a good get.
What's the consensus? Would cincy freak out if dalton became a steeler?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Kodiak wrote:

I met him when he was with his kids at a park and my son ended up playing with his kids for a good while. Chatted while they played. Very pleasant man. Can't say what he'd do if you tapped him on the shoulder, though.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:52 pm

There is quite a bit of team capital (salary cap / draft value) presently invested in the QB position as the roster sets. Adding Newton, Winston or Dalton would look like a hedge towards expecting the worst, rather than hoping for the best.

Mason showed well enough in his final performance to earn another look going forward in my opinion. While neither he nor Hodges gives the appeal of a long term solution, I prefer that insecurity over cracking the door to the chaos that some other proven professional should be sending Ben home to be a family man.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:13 pm

"The better the bourbon, especially the higher proof stuff from the better distilleries which also tends to be harder to come by should NOT be mixed with much of anything other than maybe a couple drops of water.

Even then I’d say to simply have a glass of ice water handy to sip if you need to cool the burn while sipping that whiskey neat.

You’ll ruin it."

Using premium bourbon or rye for a mixed drink is making mimosas with Dom Perignon. Jack is fine for mixing.

The only mixer should be an ice cube for 10 seconds then scoop it out.

After I went full keto, Bourbon tasted too sweet and I stayed with Scottish single malts and some Japanese brands. Then I discovered American rye, which puts everything to shame once you lose your sweet tooth. Whistlepig on the high end, Sazerac in the middle. I've had some small batch from TN (Lieper's Fork) that is the best liquor I've ever had and that includes premium Bordeaux and port.

Plus being a rye fanatic is about the most WestPenn thing a guy can do. We once went into open rebellion over it!
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:37 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:13 pm
Plus being a rye fanatic is about the most WestPenn thing a guy can do. We once went into open rebellion over it!
Damn now I have to try ryes and just blow my liquor "spending cap" to hell and back.

When I was an exclusive vodka drinker (in my 20s) I didn't like Belvedere because it had rye finish. I hated it. When bartenders tried to sub it for Grey Goose (which had just come out) I'd send it back. I just assumed it would taste the same in "dark liquor". But now in the face of history and all things Pittsburgh I'm going to have to give it a go. Thanks

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:41 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:56 pm
Kodiak wrote:

What's the consensus? Would cincy freak out if dalton became a steeler?
Well that's the risk they (or any team) takes when they cut someone. Your rival could snatch them up.

My guess is the Bengals know the Steelers and Rats are probably up against the cap and likely won't grab Dalton

Deep down I know the Steelers won't pursue a vet backup like him...

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Yinzers once loved their rye so much they told George Washington to fuck off:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/351 ... rth-of-rye
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Post by 955876 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Whistlepig on the high end, Sazerac in the middle.
Can’t speak to all Sazerac but if you get a chance to try the Sazerac 18 don’t pass it up.

It’s hardly “in the middle”.

Outstanding rye. Currently a bottle will run you 4 digits.

The Whistlepig Farmstock Rye is one of their less pricey options that makes a great Manhattan.

Have had the chance to try some of their higher end stuff. The Boss Hog Spirit of Mauve, Double Malt 18, and the most recent Boss Hog, the Samurai Scientist. Bottle at Barrel proof around 120-122.

Niiiice.

The one I hate, Whistlepig 15 year. It’s the one with the blue label. Doesn’t agree with my palate at all.

And evidently many others. The whiskey bar I try my stuff said several others have said they don’t care for it either. Guy that runs the place said he isn’t ordering that one again when the current bottle is gone.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Post by 955876 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Don’t recall if we hit any Irish Whiskeys in this thread and don’t wanna reread.

The Redbreast series is excellent. The 21 is off the charts outstanding. Don’t miss a taste if you can

Just snagged a bottle of Redbreast 12 but the cask strength version. Regular Redbreast 12 (which is most common) and quite good is bottled at 80 proof.

The cask strength is 115. My bottle is labeled at 111.8 proof.

Definitely a step up from the standard 12 but also noticeably hotter.

But then I enjoy sipping cask strength/barrel proof whiskeys.

Another to not pass up a try of is the Writer’s Tears. Aged in American ex-bourbon barrels and French Cognac barrels. A single pot still single malt Irish Whisley.

Green, Yellow, and Red Spots. Are all good too.

Jameson Black Barrel is a pretty good step-up from the run of the mill Jameson if at a bar and they don’t have anything better but have that.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:23 pm

955876 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 pm
The Whistlepig Farmstock Rye is one of their less pricey options that makes a great Manhattan.
Suggestion : A tiny squirt of port in the glass and artisanal macerated cherries as opposed to the crap you get at your local supermarket. Although you may not like your manhattan's sweet. I also have a "flight" of different flavored bitters. But I generally don't use pricey rye's for manhattans.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:10 pm

I was talking about the 29 dollar Sazerac they sell everywhere. It's pretty good bang for the buck. High West is nice too. Haven't tried the high end Sazeracs but I'm sure they're good.

I have not tried Wigle since I can't find it.

The only sweetener that should be mixed with good rye is slide guitar.

Soundtrack for rye drinking: Elmore James, Allman Bros, Trucks/Tedeschi bank.

Nietzsche

Post by 955876 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:23 pm
955876 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 pm
Suggestion : A tiny squirt of port in the glass and artisanal macerated cherries as opposed to the crap you get at your local supermarket. Although you may not like your manhattan's sweet. I also have a "flight" of different flavored bitters. But I generally don't use pricey rye's for manhattans.
I’ve been drinking Manhattans for decades son. Don’t need any advice on how to take my whiskies.

I kid I kid.

Agree on the cherries. Definitely not those bright red fake ass maraschinos.

And I tend to not be a fan of sweet so might not go for the port. Although some whiskeys are being finished in port barrels now and some of the ones I’ve tried are quite good. So I think as long as the port didn’t overpower eve thing else it could be a good add.

And if you’ve got a “flight” of bitters you likely can make a pretty good cocktail. Me, I’m a better drinker than maker of drinks. Not a good mixologists myself at all.

Mostly take my whisky neat but do really enjoy a well made Manhattan.

Do you always go rye when making them or diverge into bourbons as well?

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 pm

Does anyone primarily drink tequila?

I just picked up a bottle of Avion Reserva 44.

My goodness!

Practically no burn after the swallow.

Agave taste is up front, so this is an extra anejo that actually tastes like tequila, but, then, after the initial punch, butterscotch and vanilla spreads on the tongue.

I am a big fan of Julio 42, but the Avion is definitely on par.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 am

I've always loved Tequila and yes I am also a fan of Julio 42.

Very good Tequila for the price. I picked up a 750ml for around $60-ish and enjoy a nice glass every once in a while. I end up drinking it alone as most of my friends are burnt out and or just can't handle Tequila after decades of drinking that cuervo shit early on. I've convinced only a few that Tequila isn't that bad and in moderation can actually be similar to drinking a decent Bourbon or Scotch. There are some very good Tequila's on the market. Some aged tequila's out there will blow your mind. I guess I'm very fortunate because I am close to an international market place where you can find stuff not mainstream to try.

I am currently working on this one below. Was a Christmas present from the mother-in-law..., :D
Really not bad for a cheap [$$$$] Tequila

Also a fan of Patron, Cazadores, Avion.....

Another really cheap but decent Tequila is this one...
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 am
I've always loved Tequila and yes I am also a fan of Julio 42.

Very good Tequila for the price. I picked up a 750ml for around $60-ish and enjoy a nice glass every once in a while. I end up drinking it alone as most of my friends are burnt out and or just can't handle Tequila after decades of drinking that cuervo shit early on. I've convinced only a few that Tequila isn't that bad and in moderation can actually be similar to drinking a decent Bourbon or Scotch. There are some very good Tequila's on the market. Some aged tequila's out there will blow your mind. I guess I'm very fortunate because I am close to an international market place where you can find stuff not mainstream to try.

I am currently working on this one below. Was a Christmas present from the mother-in-law..., :D
Really not bad for a cheap [$$$$] Tequila

Also a fan of Patron, Cazadores, Avion.....

Another really cheap but decent Tequila is this one...
I pretty much only gravitate toward the anejo's. Julio anejo is the standard nightly sipper for me.

Have you had El Tesoro Tequila Paradiso Extra Anejo? That's next on my list.

Post by 955876 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:01 pm

drinking that cuervo shit early on
A buddy and I downed an entire bottle of that shit one night when we were 18.

Some girl we were talking to on the phone told us to get some Jack In the Box and come over. Seemed like a great idea at the time.

He ended up in the hospital with a broken collar bone while I landed in jail charged with felony drunk after driving rolling my Toyota 4x4.

Needless to say, I never became much of a tequila drinker after that other than shots etc while partying.

Do appreciate the good ones though.

Have two bottles mixed in with the whiskey collection.

Don Julio 42 and Casamigos Anejo.

That Casamigos Anejo is real nice. Haven’t side by sided it with the 42 but it is a good tequila.

Don’t let the Clooney affiliation steer you away. They did a good job with this one IMO.

But then, I’ve not tried other good tequila extensively either.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:06 pm

Had an acquaintance in college that got drunk and killed his best friend after drinking and driving. While underage. He replaced alcohol with cannabis. Then went back to alcohol after a few years.

Yeah. Don Julio is good. I first tried it in Mexico. 1800 is acceptable but not desired. But if you can find this. . .Give it a whirl. Or swirl, as it were.
Attachments
centenarioreposado.jpeg
centenarioreposado.jpeg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 3567 times

Post by 955876 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Had an acquaintance in college that got drunk and killed his best friend after drinking and driving.
Unfortunate.

We were very lucky. Neither had our seatbelts on and the truck rolled several times at high speed.

Bed ripped away from cab.

Buddy had a broken collar bone. I had a bruise on my forehead and a small cut on my ankle. Essentially nothing.

One of those freak things.

Young and very dumb.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:31 pm

Orangesteel wrote:

My vote is Winston.
Off topic, but just came into a little collection of Alpina divers and pilots. Pretty pleased with the value.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:31 pm
Orangesteel wrote:

My vote is Winston.
Off topic, but just came into a little collection of Alpina divers and pilots. Pretty pleased with the value.
Nice!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic