Arians talks about dismissal from Pittsburgh...yep, you guessed right

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Minkah'n Big Plays
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Arians talks about dismissal from Pittsburgh...yep, you guessed right

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:57 pm

Per Trib Live:

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call- ... ree-agent/

I guess Art And Tomlin wanted Haley and Ben to fight, just like OC and QB should, riiiight?

Don't want coaches getting too close to their franchise QB.

They couldn't have tweaked the O a little bit? I know Ben was slangin' it with BA, wasn't protected too much, extending play after play.



langer
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 am

Post by langer » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Hmm, could it be that Tomlin sets people up t fail as a form of protecting his gig...

The NFL isn't immune from stupid corporate politics. The Standard is the Standard.

Stlcrtn1974
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm

So I guess the Steelers should of kept Ben's other buddy Randy as well?

User avatar
Ice
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm
Location: Delawhere?

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Well, to everyone who wanted William Jackson III in the draft a few years back, the article has a silver lining.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Greeksteel
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Also Arians confirmed that Brady doesnt throw on Wednesdays as per the QBs request.

And Gronk also takes weds completely off.

Jobu
Posts: 11733
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm
Also Arians confirmed that Brady doesnt throw on Wednesdays as per the QBs request.

And Gronk also takes weds completely off.
Oh noooo...

Fucking slackers. :lol:

955876
Posts: 2415
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Post by 955876 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm

I wonder if Brady gets any mental prep in those Wednesdays he doesn’t throw.

My $$$ says yea.

Greeksteel
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Bruce Arians on Loyalty to Players: “Got fired in Pittsburgh because I was too loyal to Ben Roethlisberger. If that’s a problem, you’ve got the problem. I don’t have a problem. I get very close to my quarterbacks.”

Havoc
Posts: 5531
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Post by Havoc » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 pm
Greeksteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm
Also Arians confirmed that Brady doesnt throw on Wednesdays as per the QBs request.

And Gronk also takes weds completely off.
Oh noooo...

Fucking slackers. :lol:
You can't win a SB with vet days off!!! What are they doing down there in Tampa?!?!

On Gronk....

He's the best friend any QB has ever had in the SB era. An important cog in the Brady wheel of success.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:57 pm
Per Trib Live:

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call- ... ree-agent/

I guess Art And Tomlin wanted Haley and Ben to fight, just like OC and QB should, riiiight?

Don't want coaches getting too close to their franchise QB.

They couldn't have tweaked the O a little bit? I know Ben was slangin' it with BA, wasn't protected too much, extending play after play.
Went to the SB 2x with Arians, 0x since they "tweaked" the offense. Despite major upgrades on OL, and All-Pro WR & RB. Sacks are way down, though.

I think Perch hit it on the head, like, 2013 or so: Ben and the Steelers would have been better served letting Ben play the way he was succeeding––even if for a shorter career––vs. 'prolonging his career but taking away part of what made him great. To Ben's credit, he got great at playing the game the way they wanted him to do, but might he be retired 2 years ago but with another ring on his finger?

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm
Also Arians confirmed that Brady doesnt throw on Wednesdays as per the QBs request.

And Gronk also takes weds completely off.
and THAT is why they'll never win another Super Bowl under Arians... oh, wait. :shock:

Mick
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Post by Mick » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:38 pm

I’m sure that’s how he would like to remember it.

What i remember is being the World’s Last Bruce Arians Defender through most of the awful 2011 offensive season, and when i jumped ship it kind of felt like jumping off the Titanic when it was already on the bottom of the ocean.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, believed his offenses were massively underperforming and demanded his head.

User avatar
tbsteel
Posts: 5683
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by tbsteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 pm

He's naturally really glossing it over. Fired because he was too loyal to Ben? :?:

He got fired because he had a HOF QB in his prime and his offense was struggling to score more than 3 or 6 points in the first half of games, and just failing to score in general. Seem familiar? Like that Tebow playoff game where we were down 20-6 at halftime with 6 points in 7 first half possessions.

We finished that year 21st in scoring at 20.3 points per game (for reference, we averaged a little over 19 PPG last year with Mason/Duck in the 15 games they mostly played). Ben had 21 TDs to 14 INTs and 9 fumbles. More INTs and fumbles than TDs. We were 17th in red zone scoring, same as we were the prior year in 2010. That team was getting ready to go through a mini-rebuild, same as this coming year. Score more TDs and he would've been golden.

Orangesteel
Posts: 3715
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Until Ben stops throwing INTs and fumbling the ball in January, then he practices on Wednesday. End of story.

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:17 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 pm
He's naturally really glossing it over. Fired because he was too loyal to Ben? :?:

He got fired because he had a HOF QB in his prime and his offense was struggling to score more than 3 or 6 points in the first half of games, and just failing to score in general. Seem familiar? Like that Tebow playoff game where we were down 20-6 at halftime with 6 points in 7 first half possessions.

We finished that year 21st in scoring at 20.3 points per game (for reference, we averaged a little over 19 PPG last year with Mason/Duck in the 15 games they mostly played). Ben had 21 TDs to 14 INTs and 9 fumbles. More INTs and fumbles than TDs. We were 17th in red zone scoring, same as we were the prior year in 2010. That team was getting ready to go through a mini-rebuild, same as this coming year. Score more TDs and he would've been golden.
Yeah.....Steelers were 29th that year in turnover differential, and they were 4th in TOs per drive. As you mentioned they were 21st in scoring, and also were 16th in yards. The Steelers' O only cracked the top 10 once during the 5 years he was OC.

I agree with Mick - I remember this board wanting him gone. Really wish we could go back and read this boards reaction from that time.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm
So I guess the Steelers should of kept Ben's other buddy Randy as well?
Big difference between the two: Arians is a lot better coach

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm
Until Ben stops throwing INTs and fumbling the ball in January, then he practices on Wednesday. End of story.
13 TD to 9 INT and 1 fumble in his last 7 playoff games, including 4 without either his #1 RB or #1 WR or both.

Russell Wilson's last 7? 12 TD 7 INT 1 fumble

Tom Brady's last 7 playoff games?
11 TD, 7 INT, 3 fumbles.

Patrick Mahomes 6 fumbles in last 7 playoff games!

Greeksteel
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Post by Greeksteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:49 pm

I know i never wanted Arians gone. Nor did i ever want to turn him into Peyton fucking Manning, i was always along the lines of let Ben be Ben, thats what made him great. I also remember a mind boggling narrative of how negative it was that he was close to Arians, that he needed a Haley, to demand change in him. In the end it BS then and its all BS now, and hey those that were on that side of the fence got what they wanted, a peyton manning dink and dunker, along with the playoff losses.

Kodiak
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Jobu
Posts: 11733
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm
I wonder if Brady gets any mental prep in those Wednesdays he doesn’t throw.

My $$$ says yea.
Do you think that Ben isn’t?

User avatar
Ice
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm
Location: Delawhere?

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 pm
955876 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm
I wonder if Brady gets any mental prep in those Wednesdays he doesn’t throw.

My $$$ says yea.
Do you think that Ben isn’t?
No, of course not, because Ben is lazy, overpaid and responsible for everything that's wrong with the city of Pittsburgh. There's potholes on Murray Hill Avenue he could be fixing, every single Wednesday. Should probably be coaching up the offensive line, scouting potential draft prospects at all five positions and cloning Franco Harris using recombinant DNA to fix the running game, as well. Slacker.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

User avatar
jeemie
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Post by jeemie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm
Until Ben stops throwing INTs and fumbling the ball in January, then he practices on Wednesday. End of story.
13 TD to 9 INT and 1 fumble in his last 7 playoff games, including 4 without either his #1 RB or #1 WR or both.

Russell Wilson's last 7? 12 TD 7 INT 1 fumble

Tom Brady's last 7 playoff games?
11 TD, 7 INT, 3 fumbles.

Patrick Mahomes 6 fumbles in last 7 playoff games!
Gotta take away three of those Brady INTs because they were against Green Bay and you swore to me those were just punts, B2B! 8-)

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:27 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Patrick Mahomes 6 fumbles in last 7 playoff games!
He lost exactly zero of those.

Orangesteel
Posts: 3715
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Ben isn’t Brady or Mahomes. He’s Ben and he needs to protect the ball or we will lose. We don’t have any leeway anymore.

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:40 am

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
Exactly. Ownership wanted him to teach Ben to get rid of the ball faster to prolong his career. Arians refused to change his offense at all. That's why he's gotten so many QBs killed. Ben had some of his best years under Haley and Haley sucked at game day play calling. The reason they won SBs early in Ben's career and haven't since is because he had a running game and GREAT defense in those SBs. He's had neither until the defense finally came back to life last season. Now that the D started to play well, of course they have zero running game and completely neutered the passing attack. But at least we've only had one head coach through all of that and no sub .500 seasons. That's all that matters.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

tunch
Posts: 1137
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:35 am

Post by tunch » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 am

Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
Exactly. He's a great OC if you have a top-5 offensive line.

I don't understand the arguments against protecting your QB and for letting "Ben be Ben." There's a time and a place for that. If that's the only offense you can run then you get Andrew Luck's career.

It was very clear that Brady deBruce'd the offense as the season went along.

Jobu
Posts: 11733
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am

tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 am
Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
Exactly. He's a great OC if you have a top-5 offensive line.

I don't understand the arguments against protecting your QB and for letting "Ben be Ben." There's a time and a place for that. If that's the only offense you can run then you get Andrew Luck's career.

It was very clear that Brady deBruce'd the offense as the season went along.
That’s what makes a good coach. Playing to the strength
If you’re team and players.
Not sticking to a bullshit identity and forcing your stars away from what made them your stars, and bringing in ideas to “put them in their place”.

tunch
Posts: 1137
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:35 am

Post by tunch » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:34 am

Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am
tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 am
Kodiak wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Arians never adapted his scheme to that OL. It might have been very different with the OL in place shortly after he left. But I also remember that his playcalling wasn't great, and he didn't seem to scheme guys open, either. He continued to get his QB's murdered in IND and ARI. Luck put up a lot of TD's, and INT's, holding onto the ball and playing tough like young Ben did.

It's possible he's a much better HC than OC. I'm sure he's involved with the offense, but between Brady and Leftwich he's probably not calling any plays.
Exactly. He's a great OC if you have a top-5 offensive line.

I don't understand the arguments against protecting your QB and for letting "Ben be Ben." There's a time and a place for that. If that's the only offense you can run then you get Andrew Luck's career.

It was very clear that Brady deBruce'd the offense as the season went along.
That’s what makes a good coach. Playing to the strength
If you’re team and players.
Not sticking to a bullshit identity and forcing your stars away from what made them your stars, and bringing in ideas to “put them in their place”.
Then why did Brady start the season running seven-step drops and getting hammered?

Bruce only knows one song. Brady's possibly the only player that has the cachet to tell his coach to go kick rocks and then run the shit he wants to run.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:53 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 pm
Ben isn’t Brady or Mahomes. He’s Ben and he needs to protect the ball or we will lose. We don’t have any leeway anymore.
In a way, you make the argument for the opposite of what you are intending. Ben isn't Brady or Mahomes; he makes mistakes and wins. When Brady makes mistakes he more often loses. I think I might trust Ben to make more mistakes and still win. He's at his worst when he's trying to be careful.

Jobu
Posts: 11733
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 am

tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:34 am
Jobu wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am
tunch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 am


Exactly. He's a great OC if you have a top-5 offensive line.

I don't understand the arguments against protecting your QB and for letting "Ben be Ben." There's a time and a place for that. If that's the only offense you can run then you get Andrew Luck's career.

It was very clear that Brady deBruce'd the offense as the season went along.
That’s what makes a good coach. Playing to the strength
If you’re team and players.
Not sticking to a bullshit identity and forcing your stars away from what made them your stars, and bringing in ideas to “put them in their place”.
Then why did Brady start the season running seven-step drops and getting hammered?

Bruce only knows one song. Brady's possibly the only player that has the cachet to tell his coach to go kick rocks and then run the shit he wants to run.
You’re absolutely right...What the fuck was I thinking?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic