Let JJSS Walk, sign Manny?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Orangesteel

Let JJSS Walk, sign Manny?

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 pm

Sanders is getting released by the Saints because they are in a whole ‘nother kind of salary cap hell.

Would you bring him back? Claypool Washington DJ Sanders and McCloud is a good set. No way am I paying JJSS 15MM+ a year.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 pm
Would you bring him back?

Only if he's willing to sign for $700k. Otherwise, no, the Steelers don't need a 34 year old depth receiver.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:39 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:00 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 pm
Would you bring him back?

Only if he's willing to sign for $700k. Otherwise, no, the Steelers don't need a 34 year old depth receiver.
Yes. A minimum salary? Sure. DJ would lose his job probably though. Sanders can run great routes in the slot and has better hands. Which at this point, isn't hard. DJ reminds me of Ike Taylor...lol...OK not that bad.

pickarooney

Post by pickarooney » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:28 pm

I recall ES speaking critically a few years back of BR and his time in Pittsburgh. I don't think a reunion is possible.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:35 pm

We can make all the right moves........

But we still ....

Got Mike!

Watching the Indy game replayed on NFL Network.

Mike still does not call a time out before the half and watches 35-38 seconds run off the clock?
2nd & 15 at IND 14
(1:10 - 2nd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on IND, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at IND 14 - No Play.

2nd & 20 at IND 9
(1:10 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Hines up the middle to IND 11 for 2 yards (M.Hilton).

3rd & 18 at IND 11
(0:26 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) N.Hines right guard to IND 15 for 4 yards (S.Tuitt, M.Hilton).

(0:22 - 2nd) Timeout #1 by PIT at 00:22.
Steelers down 21-7
Indy ball.
2nd and 20 at Indy own 9, 1:10 on clock. clock is not running.
Steelers have all 3 time outs.

A hand off for 2 yards....brings up 3rd and 18 at the Indy 11.

Immediately after this play.
YOU CALL A TIME OUT WITH 1:05- 1:03? LEFT
You should be standing next to the ref before that 2nd and 20 snap

NOPE.

Colts run the clock down to :26 seconds ( 40 seconds gone, For Eh Ver )
3rd & 18 at IND 11
(0:26 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) N.Hines right guard to IND 15 for 4 yards (S.Tuitt, M.Hilton).
Hand off for 4 yards and Mike T calls a time out.
Steelers get the ball back.
Get the ball to the 40 and call time out #2 with 2 second to the half.
End the half at the Colts 40 with 2 seconds left an 18 yard pass to JuJu down to Colts 22.

Steelers go to the half with ZERO points on that drive, ball at the INDY 18 ....AND a time out in hand.

So we wasted 40 seconds AND a time out.

Can't make this up.
I don't think he will ever learn how to coach football during a football game, played by football player and watched by football fans.
Ever.

Post by 955876 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:45 pm

Jibbs was playin to win babaaay.

He was simply putting “time pressure” on the Colts.

He’s never had a losing season. Let the experts be the experts Stosh. We can’t know what he knew at that moment

;)
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:03 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:35 pm
We can make all the right moves........

But we still ....

Got Mike!

Watching the Indy game replayed on NFL Network.

Mike still does not call a time out before the half and watches 35-38 seconds run off the clock?
2nd & 15 at IND 14
(1:10 - 2nd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on IND, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at IND 14 - No Play.

2nd & 20 at IND 9
(1:10 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Hines up the middle to IND 11 for 2 yards (M.Hilton).

3rd & 18 at IND 11

(0:22 - 2nd) Timeout #1 by PIT at 00:22.
Steelers down 21-7
Indy ball.
2nd and 20 at Indy own 9, 1:10 on clock. clock is not running.
Steelers have all 3 time outs.

A hand off for 2 yards....brings up 3rd and 18 at the Indy 11.

Immediately after this play.
YOU CALL A TIME OUT WITH 1:05- 1:03? LEFT
You should be standing next to the ref before that 2nd and 20 snap

NOPE.

Colts run the clock down to :26 seconds ( 40 seconds gone, For Eh Ver )
3rd & 18 at IND 11
Hand off for 4 yards and Mike T calls a time out.
Steelers get the ball back.
Get the ball to the 40 and call time out #2 with 2 second to the half.
End the half at the Colts 40 with 2 seconds left an 18 yard pass to JuJu down to Colts 22.

Steelers go to the half with ZERO points on that drive, ball at the INDY 18 ....AND a time out in hand.

So we wasted 40 seconds AND a time out.

Can't make this up.
I don't think he will ever learn how to coach football during a football game, played by football player and watched by football fans.
Ever.
What is really bad about that thinking...It is one thing if you were up 21-7. Would still be a bad decision (the odds of picking up a 3rd and 18 are quite low). But hey -- you are up two TDs; You do want to minimize possessions at that point. I might, if I were a coach, in this situation let 20 seconds roll off. Still get the ball to try to get up 3 scores with a reasonable amount of time left, but minimize the opponent's chance to do much if they pick up the miracle 3rd down.

But you are down 2 TDs. Getting more possessions is crucial! If you call a timeout right away, you likely get one more meaningful possession before the half. But this clown let the clock run.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:03 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:45 pm
Jibbs was playin to win babaaay.

He was simply putting “time pressure” on the Colts.

He’s never had a losing season. Let the experts be the experts Stosh. We can’t know what he knew at that moment

;)
LoL.

No shit right?

I wish more media heads would put Tomlin on blast for this remedial bullshit coaching job. Perfect example of his dumb ass.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:52 pm

pickarooney wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:28 pm
I recall ES speaking critically a few years back of BR and his time in Pittsburgh. I don't think a reunion is possible.
We brought back James Harrison after he said Ben needed to hand off more and quit acting like he was Peyton Manning. "You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does." Ouch, lol.

I don't think it would be an issue... but yeah, I don't see the point in brining back a 34-year-old Sanders for a team that is transitioning.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

langer

Post by langer » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:37 am

Let JJSS Walk
yes
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:14 am

Id rather sign WR John Brown who was released by the Bills over Manny Sanders

Hopefully as players continue to get released and free agents struggle to find new teams the Steelers can find a bargain or 3 to fill holes before the draft.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:46 am

Steeldrama wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:14 am
Id rather sign WR John Brown who was released by the Bills over Manny Sanders

Hopefully as players continue to get released and free agents struggle to find new teams the Steelers can find a bargain or 3 to fill holes before the draft.
Yes! Maybe we can get some guys on one year "prove it" deals. Would be nice to get a bargain cause that's what we will be in the market for. I didn't see that J. Brown was released..interesting.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:14 am

You can easily draft a very good/great slot WR in round 3 or 4 this year, signing one in free agency is stupid.

So, you let JuJu walk, hopefully he signs a really big deal, and then you want to go out and sign a veteran WR to replace him, thus negating in part the comp pick we might get for JuJu leaving in the first place?? Again, that is stupid.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 am

The Steelers don't value comp picks. Repeat after me: The Steelers don't value comp picks.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:41 am

You are out of touch Ice, try and keep up.

People get so fixated on Dri Archer and that 3rd round comp pick and let it blind them to how well the Steelers have been doing with those comp picks over the years.

Alex Highsmith is going to be the starting ROLB, he was a 3rd round comp pick in 2020.

James Conner has been a starter the past 3 seasons, did make a Pro Bowl, he was a 3rd round comp pick in 2017.

Hines Ward was a 3rd round comp pick. I think everybody knows what he accomplished.

Amos Zereoue was a 3rd round comp pick. A better player than people remember. Before Willie Parker, Amos was the complement to Bettis, and as that change of pace, 3rd down back, he had seasons where he had 450 yards rushing, over 750 yards rushing and two seasons where he had 42 catches, 40 catches, etc.

Mike Vrabel was a 3rd round comp pick, the one that got away, still a mystery to me how he was on the team for 4 years.

Willie Colon was a 4th round comp pick.

Willie Gay was a 5th round comp pick.

Vince Williams was a 6th round comp pick.

Kelvin Beachum was a 7th round comp pick.

The Steelers have been able to find legitimate starters with these comp picks, no, not all the time and not with every single one, occasionally they will have a really bad Dri Archer.

The thing is, the NFL has changed the rules now in regards to being able to trade these comp picks, it used to be you couldn't deal them, just had to use the pick.

And Colbert and the Steelers have been making trades of late, of the past few years, knowing that they had comp picks coming which would lessen the pain of trades. When Colbert made the move to trade up for Devin Bush in 2019 and had to throw in a 3rd rounder in 2020, he guesstimated that he would get a comp pick in 2020 to offset that. And sure enough that is what happened, we did get a 3rd round comp pick and that turned into Alex Highsmith, who again, will be a starter this upcoming season.

What might Colbert and the Steelers do if they get say a 3rd and 4th round comp picks for 2022? That might allow them to trade up higher into the first round to get a QB in that 2022 draft.

What might that 4th round comp pick we got this year do for this upcoming draft? Yes, that could be a nice player, OR, it might be able to be used to trade up for that crucial player that we need. Maybe they need to use it to trade up higher in the 2nd round to get that RB, or that C, or that LT.

Yeah, sure, the Steelers don't value comp picks. Repeat after me: My name is Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht. :lol:

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:47 am

Repeat after me
You’d have to be pretty “stupid” to not know Colbert’s m.o. is to sign cheap free agents to sure up weak areas on the roster before the draft.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:23 pm

No, Colbert is discovering how stupid it is to sign those cheap free agents.

Sign a cheap free agent, sure up that weak area before the draft, but they still cost quite a sum of money that is like death of a thousand paper cuts once they draft a prospect high and end up cutting the vet the very next season.

Haven't we seen this movie over and over ad nauseous? Let us sign Morgan Burnett before the draft and then we will draft Terrell Edmunds in the first round. Burnett is cut after his one and only season.

Let us sign Jon Bostic and Mark Barron only to trade up and take Devin Bush and then cut both of those vets after one year.

Let us sign Donte Moncrief before the draft only to then take DJ near the top of round 3 and then cut Moncrief right at midseason.

Let us sign Stefen Wisniewski before the draft only to then take Kevin Dotson who outperforms even DeCastro during the season and cut Wisniewski by midseason.

Yeah, sign a cheap free agent, sure up that weak area before the draft, right!!!!! The real truth is that after the draft, teams are flush with their shiny new toys and cut veteran players. You are more likely to find vet bargains after the draft not before.

My favorite is when they signed Colquit, released Berry, to shore up a weak area, improve it, and then they have to cut Colquit and resign Berry!

I guess if past history is any indication, the Steelers should sign a vet RB before the draft because that might automatically make them draft Javonte Williams at 24!

What a waste of money and resources. I wish Colbert and the Steelers would get over this inferiority complex, like they have to hedge their bets before the draft. Piss on that! Do the work, trust your scouts and front office and go into the draft with confidence and draft great players. As it is now, they are behaving like insecure children. But, but what if we come out of the draft and don't get a RB?? What if we don't come out of the draft with a Center? Well, make sure that you don't, do what it takes to get the job done! I would make a great owner of a franchise because I wouldn't put up with this nonsense. But hey maybe I am too harsh, after all Colbert has it so tough going year to year on his contract, that is some serious heavy pressure. The stress, that commitment is grueling to be sure. :roll:

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:39 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 am
The Steelers don't value comp picks. Repeat after me: The Steelers don't value comp picks.
I’m thinking that Ice is saying that the Steelers don’t do their FA business based on how it affects the comp picks.
Sure, once they get them, they seem to use them well, but they aren’t sitting in the office saying...we should just let DuPree and Hilton walk because we might get some comp picks next year.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

DP39

Post by DP39 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Knowing how bad the Steelers play the comp pick game compared to most other teams, and coupled with the large number of cap casualty players this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers get less in comp picks next year than they even usually do.

Watch, we'll lose 4-5 players that will sign very good to good contracts, sign a few second wave FAs and probably end up with a 4th and 5th comp pick at best -- based on the shear volume of FA deals this year, other teams knowing how to work the formula, and the total number of comp picks only being 32. Like this year, we'll get screwed, or, should I say, we'll screw ourselves, as usual.

TTP

Post by TTP » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Released players don't count for the purposes of comp picks, right? Or, do I have that wrong?

Either way, I'm not really interested in Sanders.
"A sedan is usually functional. This offense looks more like a broken down 80’s chevette being driven by 85 year old Chinese woman."

-SteelPro

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:21 pm

TTP wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:03 pm
Released players don't count for the purposes of comp picks, right? Or, do I have that wrong?

Either way, I'm not really interested in Sanders.
Correct. Any player who has been cut/released doesn't get counted in the comp pick formula. If we signed John Brown or Manny Sanders it would have no affect on the comp picks we should get next year for the guys we'll be losing over the next few weeks.

It's something the Ravens have been taking advantage of for years. High profile released players they go after. The Steelers meanwhile love to scrape the barrel for low tier FAs like Derek Watt, Jon Bostic, Coty Sensabaugh that cancel out comp picks. We still get quite a few, but we have not been as proactive in protecting those picks. Hell, we damn near lost a third round comp we used to nab Highsmith because we thought Donte Moncrief was worth keeping for a hot minute. Ugh.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 pm

With the cap issues we have, and other holes we need filled, resigning JuJu and/or signing someone else shouldn't even be an option.

Our best bet is to stick with who we have at WR, hope DJ figures out his drop issues, Claypool makes the leap in year 2, Washington takes advantage of more playing time, and Ebron joins DJ in getting a hands transplant. Frankly, I don't think any of those are unreasonable. The collective odds of all of them happening is obviously significantly worse.

But even still, I think our overall odds are better to live what we have, and invest whatever money we save into OL/RB/OLB/any other needs.

Even without Ju Ju, that's still a pretty potent WR core that would be boosted far more by a balanced offense than by adding another body.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 pm
With the cap issues we have, and other holes we need filled, resigning JuJu and/or signing someone else shouldn't even be an option.

Our best bet is to stick with who we have at WR, hope DJ figures out his drop issues, Claypool makes the leap in year 2, Washington takes advantage of more playing time, and Ebron joins DJ in getting a hands transplant. Frankly, I don't think any of those are unreasonable. The collective odds of all of them happening is obviously significantly worse.

But even still, I think our overall odds are better to live what we have, and invest whatever money we save into OL/RB/OLB/any other needs.

Even without Ju Ju, that's still a pretty potent WR core that would be boosted far more by a balanced offense than by adding another body.
Stated differently, there are enough weapons at WR that losing JJSS isn't a huge loss. If you had to expend resources in patching up the O line or adding to WR surplus, which one do you do? If the O line is good enough, then it doesn't matter too much who is playing WR.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:39 pm

Jobu wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:39 pm
Ice wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 am
I’m thinking that Ice is saying that the Steelers don’t do their FA business based on how it affects the comp picks.
Sure, once they get them, they seem to use them well, but they aren’t sitting in the office saying...we should just let DuPree and Hilton walk because we might get some comp picks next year.
Thanks, Jobu. Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. Trust me, as a huge mock draft guy, I LOVE comp picks. I just don't think they really enter into the Steelers' equation when they're doing offseason business. Like Drama said, they'll shore up areas of perceived need, then, not needing to draft for need, they'll draft for need, and say they drafted BPA, you know, to seem hip and progressive.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 am

I think this year will be much different because if the Steelers do add up the comps pick for the 2022 draft it be ammunition to move up. For a QB

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Yeah, steelmann58, Colbert and the Steelers are going to have to continue to think outside of the box and continue to change because they have no choice.

Ben is entering his last season, the past few seasons they were making trades for players, packaging picks to trade up for Bush, etc. They know that they will have to package picks to move up to get a QB. We will see soon enough what their plan is in terms of free agency and whatnot. They should adopt the Baltimore Ravens policy of comp picks/free agency, that team always seems to get the 3rd, 4th round comp picks every year and yet still is able to do well in adding free agents to their team AFTER the draft, after June 1st, after players are cut. It is Comp Pick Economics 101 and yet the Steelers have been doing it ass backwards in terms of accumulating the picks they should every year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic