Tomlin inks 3 year extension

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Jobu
Posts: 11794
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Re: Tomlin inks 3 year extension

Post by Jobu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:38 pm

The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win...
Sure... :roll:



User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10747
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm

If the steelers go deep in the playoffs, who here will eat crow?

cop1211
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Post by cop1211 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Bernie Madoff Jr.

Kodiak
Posts: 18472
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 pm

KCSteeler wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm
Championship.

Oh, wait.
I don't know how that wasn't the first post in the thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Kodiak
Posts: 18472
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm
If the steelers go deep in the playoffs, who here will eat crow?
I've been waiting to eat my crow for a good 5-6 years. I'm fucking starving over here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Jobu
Posts: 11794
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm
If the steelers go deep in the playoffs, who here will eat crow?
Gladly, but...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kodiak
Posts: 18472
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:18 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:38 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win...
Sure... :roll:
I think the NFL and ESPN will really push for Ben to get another ring in his last year :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:22 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm
If the steelers go deep in the playoffs, who here will eat crow?
Eat it? I'll toss its salad.
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10747
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Isn't part of sports fandom waiting for the ultimate prize?

It's like the sense of entitlement is on steroids. Scratch that, Mutated by solar radiation.

I should turn my sun avatar back on. . .

Kodiak
Posts: 18472
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
Isn't part of sports fandom waiting for the ultimate prize?
2 teams play in the AFCC every year, so once every 8 years would be dead average.

But I do like how you subtly lowered the bar of expectation to simply a "deep playoff run"....as if even you know saying "if he wins a SB" would have been LOL ridiculous.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Thrillsseeker
Posts: 4288
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Post by Thrillsseeker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm
If the steelers go deep in the playoffs, who here will eat crow?
I've been waiting to eat my crow for a good 5-6 years. I'm fucking starving over here.
😂😂😂
I just busted out laughing reading that. Gladly, I wasn’t chewing or taking a drink at the time.

the-other-burg
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Post by the-other-burg » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Most overrated NFL coach in my life time.

Another 3 years... Yay.

the-other-burg
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Post by the-other-burg » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:49 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:25 pm
:lol:

Two things you're stuck with in life. Herpes and Tomlin.

Tomlin is a regular season merchant. Such a stupid and safe decision by Rooney.

EDIT: He's a first 3/4 of a season merchant.
he's an 8 win merchant.

zeke5123
Posts: 3049
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
Isn't part of sports fandom waiting for the ultimate prize?

It's like the sense of entitlement is on steroids. Scratch that, Mutated by solar radiation.

I should turn my sun avatar back on. . .
Fuck this noise. It isn't so much the size of the drought. Look, only one team wins every year. We embrace that.

It is the all too predictable mishaps by Tomlin that cost his teams chances. Punting in that situation was a fireable offense. Full stop. But the maddening thing is that punting in that situation isn't an aberration but simply the worst manifestation of Tomlin's god awful football gut instincts.

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10747
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
Isn't part of sports fandom waiting for the ultimate prize?

It's like the sense of entitlement is on steroids. Scratch that, Mutated by solar radiation.

I should turn my sun avatar back on. . .
Fuck this noise. It isn't so much the size of the drought. Look, only one team wins every year. We embrace that.

It is the all too predictable mishaps by Tomlin that cost his teams chances. Punting in that situation was a fireable offense. Full stop. But the maddening thing is that punting in that situation isn't an aberration but simply the worst manifestation of Tomlin's god awful football gut instincts.
Maybe you should change your fandom to the browns, or the dolphins, lions, or the chargers. Go fer it.

Minkah'n Big Plays
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:22 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win If they are allowed back into Heinz Field this year. Tomlin will have the players in position to win. I am hoping Ben and company can bring it home one more time.
How can you be so optimistic with this guy's results?

I don't get it.

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Tomlin's biggest accomplishment as the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers was to convince the Rooney's to change the standard from championships to mediocrity. Best salesman in the history of the NFL.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

blu
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Post by blu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm

This makes sense of it.

https://youtu.be/t8tdmaEhMHE

zeke5123
Posts: 3049
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:49 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 pm
zeke5123 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
Isn't part of sports fandom waiting for the ultimate prize?

It's like the sense of entitlement is on steroids. Scratch that, Mutated by solar radiation.

I should turn my sun avatar back on. . .
Fuck this noise. It isn't so much the size of the drought. Look, only one team wins every year. We embrace that.

It is the all too predictable mishaps by Tomlin that cost his teams chances. Punting in that situation was a fireable offense. Full stop. But the maddening thing is that punting in that situation isn't an aberration but simply the worst manifestation of Tomlin's god awful football gut instincts.
Maybe you should change your fandom to the browns, or the dolphins, lions, or the chargers. Go fer it.
What a silly response. I fear that in five years, our team will be like the Browns, Dolphins, Lions, or Chargers.

Look -- I am fine not being flashy in the offseason. I am fine building through the draft. I am fine having consistency. But after awhile, it becomes obvious when a particular player or coach just isn't working anymore. We are at that stage.

What makes you think firing Tomlin (or at least not extending) would turn us into the Browns, Dolphins, Lions, or Chargers?

Kodiak
Posts: 18472
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 pm

You mindless cretins. It's obvious the plan is to trade Tomlin to move-up and draft Williams.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

User avatar
Texas Black & Gold
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:32 am

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm

Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:22 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win If they are allowed back into Heinz Field this year. Tomlin will have the players in position to win. I am hoping Ben and company can bring it home one more time.
How can you be so optimistic with this guy's results?

I don't get it.
A long time ago (Feb 6, 2011) and a few times since, I wanted a new coach for the team. So I understand those that want him gone, I really do. But over time, Tomlin has grown on me. He seems to always have competitive teams and players that play hard. I can't say that for the basement dwellers of the league or most other teams. I prefer to support those on the team that are trying rather than getting all worked up over things that I can not control. Yes I would like to see the Steelers win the Lombardi again. But I am not ready to blame the lack of success on one person. Perhaps when Ben hangs it up or there is a clear alternative to Tomlin or a natural transition I will be ready for the change. I didn't like seeing Cowher or Noll leave either. Hope that makes sense.

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10747
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
Isn't part of sports fandom waiting for the ultimate prize?
2 teams play in the AFCC every year, so once every 8 years would be dead average.

But I do like how you subtly lowered the bar of expectation to simply a "deep playoff run"....as if even you know saying "if he wins a SB" would have been LOL ridiculous.
LOL. Work with me here, fellas. Work with me.

But I will say you should be all satiated if (!) the steelers win the SB. Should be enough crow for a few years, yes? With thyme, carrots and potatoes.

Smashmouth21
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 am

Post by Smashmouth21 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm
Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:22 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win If they are allowed back into Heinz Field this year. Tomlin will have the players in position to win. I am hoping Ben and company can bring it home one more time.
How can you be so optimistic with this guy's results?

I don't get it.
A long time ago (Feb 6, 2011) and a few times since, I wanted a new coach for the team. So I understand those that want him gone, I really do. But over time, Tomlin has grown on me. He seems to always have competitive teams and players that play hard. I can't say that for the basement dwellers of the league or most other teams. I prefer to support those on the team that are trying rather than getting all worked up over things that I can not control. Yes I would like to see the Steelers win the Lombardi again. But I am not ready to blame the lack of success on one person. Perhaps when Ben hangs it up or there is a clear alternative to Tomlin or a natural transition I will be ready for the change. I didn't like seeing Cowher or Noll leave either. Hope that makes sense.
Stop being reasonable. NO REASON ALLOWED I THIS THREAD!
#killtomlin
/sarca

User avatar
K_C_
Posts: 18573
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Contact:

Post by K_C_ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm
Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:22 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win If they are allowed back into Heinz Field this year. Tomlin will have the players in position to win. I am hoping Ben and company can bring it home one more time.
How can you be so optimistic with this guy's results?

I don't get it.
A long time ago (Feb 6, 2011) and a few times since, I wanted a new coach for the team. So I understand those that want him gone, I really do. But over time, Tomlin has grown on me. He seems to always have competitive teams and players that play hard. I can't say that for the basement dwellers of the league or most other teams. I prefer to support those on the team that are trying rather than getting all worked up over things that I can not control. Yes I would like to see the Steelers win the Lombardi again. But I am not ready to blame the lack of success on one person. Perhaps when Ben hangs it up or there is a clear alternative to Tomlin or a natural transition I will be ready for the change. I didn't like seeing Cowher or Noll leave either. Hope that makes sense.
:lol:
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

User avatar
Stillerz Bar
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Post by Stillerz Bar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 pm

Seriously, did anyone think Tomlin was leaving before Ben?

To me the REAL question is, what will Mike do when Ben retires? To be fair, his absolute best coaching was the year Ben went down ..... though they still managed to collapse at the end after having a real shot at the playoffs, getting that far with Mason & Duck was quite an accomplishment.

Back to my initial point though, when Ben retires will Mikey:

A) Run away knowing Ben was a master at pulling out wins that could have easily gone the other way, time and time again.

or

B) Actually believe he is a genius and try to prove it without the HOF QB he has relied n his entire career.

If the team does good to great between now and when Ben retires, he might have a shot at the HOF by leaving then. Before I get chastised too much, remember that his career coaching numbers are fairly similar to incoming HOF Coach Field Goal Bill Cowher.

Tomlin
Reg season 145-78-1 (.650)
Playoffs 8-8 (.500)
AFCC 2-1
SB 1-1

Cowher
Reg season 149-90-1 (.623)
Playoffs 12-9 (.571)
AFCC 2-4
SB 1-1

Each coach had their plusses and minuses and I agree it was time for the Chin to go when he did - he simply lost the desire to go all in after he finally grabbed the brass ring with the Championship in Detroit. But seriously, very few people thought he would eventually get a Gold Jacket when he left the team but time heals a lot of wounds and the numbers are what ultimately got him in.

If Tomlin manages to go 2 more years "without a losing record" and then both he and Ben retire, he'd have a minimum of 159 wins with less than 100 losses, 2 AFCCs and a SB Championship - several years down the road that could look pretty enticing to the committee. Heck, no matter how folks on this site feel, even now much of the media dubs him a top tier coach.

On the other hand, sticking around post Ben could be either good or bad for him. On one hand if as much of this board believes, he fails miserably once he has no Ben to bail him out, his reputation could take a significant hit. On the other hand, if he manages a few unlikely runs in the playoffs, it could make him look even better.

If I were him I'd leave after Ben retires as my guess is that he won't improve his reputation with his body of work post Ben.

User avatar
El Kabong
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Post by El Kabong » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 am

Stillerz Bar wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 pm
Seriously, did anyone think Tomlin was leaving before Ben?

To me the REAL question is, what will Mike do when Ben retires? To be fair, his absolute best coaching was the year Ben went down ..... though they still managed to collapse at the end after having a real shot at the playoffs, getting that far with Mason & Duck was quite an accomplishment.

Back to my initial point though, when Ben retires will Mikey:

A) Run away knowing Ben was a master at pulling out wins that could have easily gone the other way, time and time again.

or

B) Actually believe he is a genius and try to prove it without the HOF QB he has relied n his entire career.
I don't believe that Mike Tomlin is sitting there saying "God, I suck. I'm sure glad Ben was there all those times to save my ass, I better get out of Dodge as soon as he retires!" I'm sure Mike will continue coaching after Ben is gone. I think he'll field competitive teams, but if he starts cranking out losing seasons, he'll eventually quit or get fired.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Jizz Mop
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Post by Jizz Mop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 am

Never ending nightmare I can’t wake up from

I will celebrate Tomlin’s dismissal (his terms or shit canned, doesn’t matter) like we won the SB

Can’t stand looking at that dumbass anymore

To think he will potentially roam our sidelines for the next 3 years and “tip his fucking hat” to our opponents who out-scheme and out coach this idiot makes me sick.

beerbrother
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by beerbrother » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:14 am

Stillerz Bar wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 pm

Tomlin
Reg season 145-78-1 (.650)
Playoffs 8-8 (.500)
AFCC 2-1
SB 1-1

Cowher
Reg season 149-90-1 (.623)
Playoffs 12-9 (.571)
AFCC 2-4
SB 1-1
Interesting.

Tomlin
Regular Season Games: 224 (14 Seasons)
Playoff Games: 16
Total # of Games: 240
Avg # Games/Season: 17.1
Total # Lost: 86
Avg # Lost/Season: 6.1

Cowher
Regular Season Games: 240 (15 Seasons)
Playoff Games: 21
Total # of Games: 261
Avg # Games/Season: 17.4
Total # Lost: 99
Avg # Lost/Season: 6.6

It appears that while Cowher won more playoff games he had a slightly higher average of losses per season. So we suffered watching the games with Cowher at coach slightly more that Tomlin. If that is actually possible.
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

stillthere
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 am

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm
If the steelers make it deep into the playoffs this year, does it change anybody's mind?

I doubt it.
If they go deep into playoffs you are talking about AFCCG or Superbowl? Then you have to figure out if Ben is back as well that would mean the team is clicking and playing well. I would like to have that be our problem unless Ben wants to go out on top and they win the Superbowl this upcoming season and he retires a legend like Elway (his idol) or Bettis.

stillthere
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 am

Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:22 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win If they are allowed back into Heinz Field this year. Tomlin will have the players in position to win. I am hoping Ben and company can bring it home one more time.
How can you be so optimistic with this guy's results?

I don't get it.
I am his biggest fan today. I hope he wins a superbowl this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic