Najee #1 - Who would have guessed?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
User avatar
franco32
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:02 am

Najee #1 - Who would have guessed?

Post by franco32 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 am

Great player but I have big concerns about the Oline. I'm praying Creed falls to us at 55.



User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:20 am

franco32 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 am
Great player but I have big concerns about the Oline. I'm praying Creed falls to us at 55.
Was hoping they'd trade back but if they were going to take a back in the first round, at least they got the best one. Would be cool if he'd wear 32. I know that is unofficially retired but watching another Harris wearing 32 would be awesome.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

BouldernBun
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm

Post by BouldernBun » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:22 am

I'm so happy... Now we just need an O line.

User avatar
franco32
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:02 am

Post by franco32 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 am

Najee has great vision, balance, and he explodes off his cuts very well. Pass blocking is very good. He's also a very very underrated receiver. He's definitely an elite back. Only thing missing is the blazing speed but it's good enough.

But we need a Center so badly. I really hope Creed can fall.

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 am

Minkah Coates wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 am
RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:20 am
franco32 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 am
Great player but I have big concerns about the Oline. I'm praying Creed falls to us at 55.
Was hoping they'd trade back but if they were going to take a back in the first round, at least they got the best one. Would be cool if he'd wear 32. I know that is unofficially retired but watching another Harris wearing 32 would be awesome.
only a dipshit would trade back out of our pick. jackoffs would have had him if we didnt. what do you want later in a draft? a lesser pick a lesser talent for what? MORE lesser talent?

seriously.

DO YOU PLAY FANTASY FOOTBALL? would you give up your first round pick ? only an idiot does such.
First of all, fuck off. Second, I would have been happy with a back later in the draft. Plenty of good rbs have been picked after the first round over the last several years including one by us that was considered one of the best in the league not that long ago. I think this team needs help in a lot of areas. More picks would help address that. I don't hate the pick. Like I said, if they were going to use a 1st on a back, at least they got the best one.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

User avatar
tbsteel
Posts: 5697
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by tbsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 am

Hard to argue. He looks like a more explosive Le'veon Bell. Easy to see why they loved him.

But yeah, they've got 4 picks in the next three rounds to help fix the o-line and get a piece or two for the D. They can do it.

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 am

franco32 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 am
Najee has great vision, balance, and he explodes off his cuts very well. Pass blocking is very good. He's also a very very underrated receiver. He's definitely an elite back. Only thing missing is the blazing speed but it's good enough.

But we need a Center so badly. I really hope Creed can fall.
Center and tackle. Hoping Colbert has at least as much success as last year. They need multiple starters out of this draft.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:38 am

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Jobu
Posts: 11880
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 am

They need multiple starters out of this draft.
So far so good...
Proud Bennonite since 2004 ;)

BouldernBun
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm

Post by BouldernBun » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:47 am

38
Jobu wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 am
They need multiple starters out of this draft.
So far so good...
No shit. I think we were lucky to get him. Hope the rest of the draft rolls this way for us.

autopilot
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 am

Post by autopilot » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:18 am

wanted Greg Newsome, but not hating knowing the track record with rb of colbert/tomlin in late rounds.

User avatar
Stallworth16
Posts: 3960
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:22 pm

Post by Stallworth16 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:28 am

Love this pick. We are lucky to get a talent at Running back in Najee Harris. Najee will be the perfect backup to Benny Snell. Relax, I’m kidding.

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:10 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 am
Minkah Coates wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 am
RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:20 am


Was hoping they'd trade back but if they were going to take a back in the first round, at least they got the best one. Would be cool if he'd wear 32. I know that is unofficially retired but watching another Harris wearing 32 would be awesome.
only a dipshit would trade back out of our pick. jackoffs would have had him if we didnt. what do you want later in a draft? a lesser pick a lesser talent for what? MORE lesser talent?

seriously.

DO YOU PLAY FANTASY FOOTBALL? would you give up your first round pick ? only an idiot does such.
First of all, fuck off. Second, I would have been happy with a back later in the draft. Plenty of good rbs have been picked after the first round over the last several years including one by us that was considered one of the best in the league not that long ago. I think this team needs help in a lot of areas. More picks would help address that. I don't hate the pick. Like I said, if they were going to use a 1st on a back, at least they got the best one.
Remo, I have to applaud your restrained response. It's time for someone to switch from coffee to tea. Good lord.
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:12 am

tbsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 am
Hard to argue. He looks like a more explosive Le'veon Bell. Easy to see why they loved him.

But yeah, they've got 4 picks in the next three rounds to help fix the o-line and get a piece or two for the D. They can do it.
If he plays like a more explosive Le'veon Bell, we are going to be very, very happy. I don't believe for a second he is going to be as good as Bell was when Bell was in his prime, but we'll see. And I'm not knocking the pick, either.
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10848
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 am

I don't follow college ball, but I'm kinda surprised a top three RB prospect fell to the steelers. Especially since they really fucking need a RB. Now they need a C and OT, OLB, ILB, and CB/Safety depth. This is going to be interesting in the following days.

Oh, and fuck L Bell. I like the Harris pick.

And BTW, I didn't watch the draft but how long did they take to "run" to the podium?

User avatar
franco32
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:02 am

Post by franco32 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:05 pm

I believe they spent about 4 minutes this time on the pick which is a lifetime compared to other years. But, it was still pretty quick. Colbert said there was no consideration of trading back. I believe him. Sure, I would have loved to move back and still gotten Najee. But, it's tough to say we would have. Etienne did get picked right after him although I doubt the Jags would have gone with Najee.

In the end, I can't fault Colbert for pulling the trigger here.

zeke5123
Posts: 3051
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Post by zeke5123 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Truly a disaster of a pick. Given how fungible RB is, Najee will need to be a top 3 RB for a few years to make the pick work out value wise.

Even if he is a top 3 RB, then we likely sign him to a big C2 which results in a giant cap hit when he sucks and needs to be cut in C2.

People can like the player but the value proposition at RB just isn’t there.

User avatar
jebrick
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by jebrick » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 am
I don't follow college ball, but I'm kinda surprised a top three RB prospect fell to the steelers. Especially since they really fucking need a RB. Now they need a C and OT, OLB, ILB, and CB/Safety depth. This is going to be interesting in the following days.

Oh, and fuck L Bell. I like the Harris pick.

And BTW, I didn't watch the draft but how long did they take to "run" to the podium?
Because RB are low value players at this point in a passing league.

They took 6 minutes to make the pick. We thought someone had died.
"I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts."

- Mark Twain

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10848
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 pm

Call me ignant, but I always thought the run sets up the pass, and the pass sets up the run - obviously with a decent O line. Most teams that made the playoffs (in recent years and before) had a decent run game, yes? Harris seems like a great all around back, who can run, catch and block. I can't see how that's not valuable even in a pass happy league. Even in the first round. I'd take saquan barkely in a heartbeat.

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:40 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:12 am
tbsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 am
Hard to argue. He looks like a more explosive Le'veon Bell. Easy to see why they loved him.

But yeah, they've got 4 picks in the next three rounds to help fix the o-line and get a piece or two for the D. They can do it.
If he plays like a more explosive Le'veon Bell, we are going to be very, very happy. I don't believe for a second he is going to be as good as Bell was when Bell was in his prime, but we'll see. And I'm not knocking the pick, either.
If they believe he's a more explosive Bell, then they should have run to the podium. That's just what the doctor ordered. How much I like this pick is tied to the next 3 rounds. If they come away with a quality center and tackle, which is highly possible, I'll like it a lot more. If they swing and miss on one or both of those positions, we're in trouble. The only spots on the oline that are anywhere close to solid are the two guards, and one of those will be a full-time starter for the first time. Nothing but question marks for the other three.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

User avatar
jebrick
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by jebrick » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:43 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 pm
Call me ignant, but I always thought the run sets up the pass, and the pass sets up the run - obviously with a decent O line. Most teams that made the playoffs (in recent years and before) had a decent run game, yes? Harris seems like a great all around back, who can run, catch and block. I can't see how that's not valuable even in a pass happy league. Even in the first round. I'd take saquan barkely in a heartbeat.
It is more like the teams have lightened their defenses to deal with the speedy pass receivers so teams with a power running game can make big plays. If you can play a power running game and pass to win then you have something. Although KC has gone to the total speed package and seems to do well in scoring points. TB was more balanced and less injured so they won the SB.

If Harris can be a 3 down back they will have something but with Ben leaving in not to many seasons it might just be more of a shift to the Raven's style.
"I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts."

- Mark Twain

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:44 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm
Truly a disaster of a pick. Given how fungible RB is, Najee will need to be a top 3 RB for a few years to make the pick work out value wise.

Even if he is a top 3 RB, then we likely sign him to a big C2 which results in a giant cap hit when he sucks and needs to be cut in C2.

People can like the player but the value proposition at RB just isn’t there.
Maybe RB should be fungible, but has not worked out that way for the Steelers. Since the coaching is apparently incapable of setting things up so that decent backs can look great, I'm not going to grumble. Better fix the o line, though.
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

Minkah'n Big Plays
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:12 am
tbsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 am
Hard to argue. He looks like a more explosive Le'veon Bell. Easy to see why they loved him.

But yeah, they've got 4 picks in the next three rounds to help fix the o-line and get a piece or two for the D. They can do it.
If he plays like a more explosive Le'veon Bell, we are going to be very, very happy. I don't believe for a second he is going to be as good as Bell was when Bell was in his prime, but we'll see. And I'm not knocking the pick, either.
One thing we know is very similar, neither back has/had breakaway speed.

Minkah'n Big Plays
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:07 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm
Truly a disaster of a pick. Given how fungible RB is, Najee will need to be a top 3 RB for a few years to make the pick work out value wise.

Even if he is a top 3 RB, then we likely sign him to a big C2 which results in a giant cap hit when he sucks and needs to be cut in C2.

People can like the player but the value proposition at RB just isn’t there.
I wanted Darrisaw badly, then realized Minny might take him.

Than they did. :x

User avatar
MJG75
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Post by MJG75 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Absolutely love the pick! I'll qualify first: I'm an unabashed and proud to be yinzer who loves ground and pound. Loves the physicality of it. So there that is.

While the Steelers do have a lot of needs, particularly OL, but other positions as well, to some lesser degree (ILB, TE, CB of note), given the fact that a quality Center and OT may be had possibly with their later picks, they simply HAD to draft who I consider the most NFL ready, and therefore, for our purposes, BEST RB in the draft for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Yes, you can often pick up quality backs who can help you for limited periods of time. But sometimes you have to go for a Franco. Or a Najee, in this case.

Despite needing to "re-tool", or whatever you want to call it, if you can upgrade to a dominant running attack (with upgrades on OL, we can definitely do this now), Ben can relax and play more like Elway in late 90s, or Peyton Manning in his latter years, and with a D that should still be high quality, we can win this NOW baby! Therefore, I believe this is the best choice. If he was there at 24, I was hoping for it and was ready to party like it was 1999 when I saw the pick!

Not to mention, the man displays a level of maturity and charitableness that will be most welcome here. He visited the Homeless Shelter where he and his siblings spent part of their childhood, for a Draft Party.

Love the pick, and we'll see how the man and player does when he arrives in camp this summer! Let's GO!

yygy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Post by yygy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm

I hope Najee’s lug nuts are good and tight given tomlins history and RB and wheels.

Good pick. Improves the team.

DP39
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Post by DP39 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 pm

Personally, I'm happy with the pick. I felt they would go RB there. I just wasn't sure whether it would be Harris or Etienne. My guess always was that Etienne probably fit our new OC's system better, but Harris was more of a Deuce pick. Not sure if that's correct or not, because I'm not 100% sure what Canada's system is yet. :lol:

I figured, like many, they go RB, ILB, C in some order in the first rounds. I think it'll still play out that way, unless someone of major values falls to us.

I also think they will use next years draft capital this year, like they have done more recently. My guess is in the 4th or 5th they grab an extra pick by trading a (corresponding round earlier) pick from next year. We'll see. I guess.

stinger8
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 am

Post by stinger8 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:48 pm

I think this is a good smart pick. We had zero run game last year and it totally impacted the pass game. I think there is going to be real high caliber O lineman available at 2 that's what I hope they do. Maybe even go O line again at 3 IF some significant value is there IE center or tackle.

Good news when the Steelers have third and 1 or less the punt team does not have to immediately start putting their helmets on :P

StillerInCT
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Post by StillerInCT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:56 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 am
I don't follow college ball, but I'm kinda surprised a top three RB prospect fell to the steelers. Especially since they really fucking need a RB. Now they need a C and OT, OLB, ILB, and CB/Safety depth. This is going to be interesting in the following days.

Oh, and fuck L Bell. I like the Harris pick.

And BTW, I didn't watch the draft but how long did they take to "run" to the podium?
Because RB are low value players at this point in a passing league.

They took 6 minutes to make the pick. We thought someone had died.
I think we're seeing the early stages of a cycle back to running games as teams have spent the past 5-10 years bolstering their defense with talent to stop the passing game.

Jobu
Posts: 11880
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 pm
Personally, I'm happy with the pick. I felt they would go RB there. I just wasn't sure whether it would be Harris or Etienne. My guess always was that Etienne probably fit our new OC's system better, but Harris was more of a Deuce pick. Not sure if that's correct or not, because I'm not 100% sure what Canada's system is yet. :lol:
I kinda agree with the bolded. I think choosing Harris over Etienne suggests that they aren’t giving Canada the keys to car, and are sticking with the three down offense.
That said, I also like the pick. Harris is an excellent football player and will be a plus for the offense.
Proud Bennonite since 2004 ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic