Round 3: Kendrick Green

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
smithessmokin
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:43 am

Round 3: Kendrick Green

Post by smithessmokin » Sat May 01, 2021 4:13 am

I love this pick, he’s a center in the NFL and has a chance to be a really good one. Very athletic which is what the Steelers love at the pivot.



stillthere
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Sat May 01, 2021 4:29 am

Somebody brought up the Lovie Smith and Tomlin connection and said they probably know more about him than some other teams and that may be true and a reason they did not draft center earlier.

Kodiak
Posts: 18472
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Sat May 01, 2021 4:51 am

Well, typically C isn't drafted in the first 2 rounds. Deep draft at C, and they waited until the bottom 1//4 of R3. Not a huge gamble, IMO.

And no issue with Harris in R1.

The R2 pick is a disaster. I'd have preferred a reach at literally any other position, especially T or DB. Instead they took another JAG at TE because they overrate run blocking from the position and continue to reach for a guy they hope can block, and hope can get better at receiving. Colbert has pretty much always drafted that Heath Miller-type at TE. And I don't think even Heath was really what they were hoping to find. And outside of Heath for a handful of years, they continue to get TE's that don't excel at anything. TBH, MacDonald and Ebron have been the best TE's they have, and one can't stay healthy and is basically done, and the other has hands issues and sucks at blocking.

If I owned this team, I would have told Tombert don't you dare waste a premium pick on a TE. Ever.

On the other hand, what's the point in drafting OL earlier? Without Munchak, not just in the Tomlin era but in the Colbert era we have developed and coached-up exactly 0 offensive linemen. Perhaps Faneca is the exception.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stillthere
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Sat May 01, 2021 6:29 am



2021 NFL Draft Press Conference (April 30): Kendrick Green | Pittsburgh Steelers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ1SDtpEmA

LakecrestSteeler
Posts: 5365
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat May 01, 2021 7:51 am

Kodiak wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:51 am
Well, typically C isn't drafted in the first 2 rounds. Deep draft at C, and they waited until the bottom 1//4 of R3. Not a huge gamble, IMO.

And no issue with Harris in R1.

The R2 pick is a disaster. I'd have preferred a reach at literally any other position, especially T or DB. Instead they took another JAG at TE because they overrate run blocking from the position and continue to reach for a guy they hope can block, and hope can get better at receiving. Colbert has pretty much always drafted that Heath Miller-type at TE. And I don't think even Heath was really what they were hoping to find. And outside of Heath for a handful of years, they continue to get TE's that don't excel at anything. TBH, MacDonald and Ebron have been the best TE's they have, and one can't stay healthy and is basically done, and the other has hands issues and sucks at blocking.

If I owned this team, I would have told Tombert don't you dare waste a premium pick on a TE. Ever.

On the other hand, what's the point in drafting OL earlier? Without Munchak, not just in the Tomlin era but in the Colbert era we have developed and coached-up exactly 0 offensive linemen. Perhaps Faneca is the exception.
And you forgot to mention that with what we paid at TE last season, we could have had any TE in the league. We paid through the nose for Heckle and Jeckle, which would have been enough to land a Gronk, Kelce or Ertz.

stillthere
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:51 am
And you forgot to mention that with what we paid at TE last season, we could have had any TE in the league. We paid through the nose for Heckle and Jeckle, which would have been enough to land a Gronk, Kelce or Ertz.
Gronk made 10 million last year

Kelce
Kelce signed a four-year contract extension worth more than $57 million in August.

That deal calls for a $5.25 million base salary in 2021 with a $7 million roster bonus, creating a $13.25 million cap hit for the upcoming season, according to Over the Cap.
Ertz cap number was 12.481 million

We paid like 9 million for both of our TE's last year. If you are saying take just one of those players over Ebron and McDonald we have to take into account that Gronk was not randomly signing with Pittsburgh unless Tom Brady signed there. Ertz was not a free agent and Kelce cost most of the three.

User avatar
RemoAZ
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Post by RemoAZ » Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 am

Seems like he was the target at center all along. Hopefully they have a sleeper at tackle too. Not sure how they can be satisfied with the tackle talent on the roster with an aging Ben.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 am

1. Lovie Smith intel
2. Super athletic: can pull (from what I'm reading)
3. Slightly undersized
4. Apparently brings the nasty

I get it.

1 mitigates some pandemic related scouting limitations
2-3 lean toward poor man's Pouncey
4 checks Klemm's box of more physical attitude

Welcome to the Steelers, young man. I look forward to you going all Cody Wallace in the pile.
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

stinger8
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 am

Post by stinger8 » Sat May 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 am
1. Lovie Smith intel
2. Super athletic: can pull (from what I'm reading)
3. Slightly undersized
4. Apparently brings the nasty

I get it.

1 mitigates some pandemic related scouting limitations
2-3 lean toward poor man's Pouncey
4 checks Klemm's box of more physical attitude

Welcome to the Steelers, young man. I look forward to you going all Cody Wallace in the pile.
Now THAT would bring a huge smile to my face :D :D Miss that dude

LakecrestSteeler
Posts: 5365
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat May 01, 2021 1:48 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 am
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:51 am
And you forgot to mention that with what we paid at TE last season, we could have had any TE in the league. We paid through the nose for Heckle and Jeckle, which would have been enough to land a Gronk, Kelce or Ertz.
Gronk made 10 million last year

Kelce
Kelce signed a four-year contract extension worth more than $57 million in August.

That deal calls for a $5.25 million base salary in 2021 with a $7 million roster bonus, creating a $13.25 million cap hit for the upcoming season, according to Over the Cap.
Ertz cap number was 12.481 million

We paid like 9 million for both of our TE's last year. If you are saying take just one of those players over Ebron and McDonald we have to take into account that Gronk was not randomly signing with Pittsburgh unless Tom Brady signed there. Ertz was not a free agent and Kelce cost most of the three.
Post Gazette:
Eric Ebron, a former No. 1 draft choice in 2014 who signed a two-year, $12 million contract in free agency, and Vance McDonald will earn a combined $11.15 million when the 2020 season begins — nearly triple what wide receivers JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington and Diontae Johnson will combine to earn this season.
We were paying way too much for our Tight Ends when all was said and done. Should have been able to come up with a longer term solution with money we tossed around like sailors on leave at a strip club.

Actually their poor play in my opinion, was probably more related to line coaching and OC not being able to come up with comprehensive plan for TEs and of course their nagging injuries.

955876
Posts: 2426
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Post by 955876 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Slightly undersized
Is he an undersized center or is he considered undersized if viewed as a guard?

Seems in some lanes he was viewed as a guard prospect as well so wondering g if that is where the “undersized” comes in.

Pouncey was listed at 304lbs just like this kid.

Hoping he’s stout enough at point of attack.

Nothing wrecks an offense more than your center getting buried.

DP39
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Post by DP39 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:43 pm

I like the pick. Athletically, he's a squattier, more explosive Pouncey. He's 2.5 inches shorter, but has the same basic hand/arm/wingspan and bench strength. My guess is that his lower center of gravity will make his much stouter than MP ever was againts big bulls -- better anchor, basically. He has a MUCH more powerful/explosive/twitchy lower body than MP ever had. He WILL pull much faster, which is a huge upgrade to MP in the last few years.

User avatar
jebrick
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by jebrick » Sat May 01, 2021 2:47 pm

He is really raw. Only 3 years experience on oline. Do not expect him to start year 1 unless there are some injuries.
"I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts."

- Mark Twain

Jobu
Posts: 11794
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Sat May 01, 2021 2:58 pm

jebrick wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:47 pm
He is really raw. Only 3 years experience on oline. Do not expect him to start year 1 unless there are some injuries.
He has to beat out Hassenhauer and Finney. If he’s not the starter day one...

SteelerDayTrader
Posts: 2308
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat May 01, 2021 3:04 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:58 pm
jebrick wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:47 pm
He is really raw. Only 3 years experience on oline. Do not expect him to start year 1 unless there are some injuries.
He has to beat out Hassenhauer and Finney. If he’s not the starter day one...
This ^^^^^

If he isnt the starter day 1 thats a real bad sign.....busted pick territory
Gorilla Warfare

User avatar
jebrick
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by jebrick » Sat May 01, 2021 3:13 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:58 pm
jebrick wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:47 pm
He is really raw. Only 3 years experience on oline. Do not expect him to start year 1 unless there are some injuries.
He has to beat out Hassenhauer and Finney. If he’s not the starter day one...
He will not be a starter on day one or day 300. He needs lots of coaching to get his feet fixed and time his punch and a bunch of other things that a olineman might learn if they have been playing longer than 3 years
"I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts."

- Mark Twain

Jobu
Posts: 11794
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Sat May 01, 2021 3:30 pm

jebrick wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:13 pm
Jobu wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:58 pm
jebrick wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:47 pm
He is really raw. Only 3 years experience on oline. Do not expect him to start year 1 unless there are some injuries.
He has to beat out Hassenhauer and Finney. If he’s not the starter day one...
He will not be a starter on day one or day 300. He needs lots of coaching to get his feet fixed and time his punch and a bunch of other things that a olineman might learn if they have been playing longer than 3 years
And what better place to learn those things than on the field?
If he’s the best talent on the roster, than he needs to play. The options behind him are barely NFL warm bodies.
Just my 2 cents...

Jizz Mop
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Post by Jizz Mop » Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm

Excited to see Finney at center

No I’m not

Fuck that.....get the new kid in there

PennyBacker
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:41 pm

Post by PennyBacker » Sat May 01, 2021 3:38 pm

Green looks like he’s 6’1, 285lbs. Landon Dickerson / Ben Cleveland he is not. I’ll be pleasantly surprise if he makes a year 1 impact, b/c he doesn’t look to have the stature of an NFL player as of today.

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10747
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Sat May 01, 2021 4:32 pm

I'm not nearly as informed or knowledgeable as the draftnicks here, but I'm not thrilled. So, we have :

DeCastro, Dotson, Okafur, Finney, Hausensomething, Banner, Green, and Whothefuckelse? I would have liked Tevin Jenkins, after having watched some film. . .

stillthere
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 am



some film breakdown and opinion. like 12 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQg6u9Atf4g

stillthere
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Sun May 02, 2021 8:31 am


User avatar
K_C_
Posts: 18573
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Contact:

Post by K_C_ » Sun May 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Weird they added the top RB in this draft class but couldn’t add one plug and play upgrade at any of the o-line positions to create holes for the dude.

Hopefully Green becomes a great center but that looks to be years away.
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

ToddHaleysNineIron
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by ToddHaleysNineIron » Sun May 02, 2021 12:21 pm

I do forget on times how bad a position the offensive line was put in to run the football.

First 6 weeks of the season, there was really nothing wrong with the run game. Then you had the Ten game and the Bal game... and it went to shit after that, when the team became the snap and pass offense we saw the rest of the way.

Injuries, an offensive coordinator and quarterback pigeonholing themselves, who knows.

User avatar
jewelsongs
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by jewelsongs » Sun May 02, 2021 1:16 pm

We will start Finney, and let him continue as long as he does at least as good as last year's Pouncey. Green will be the depth at Center and both Guard positions until he is ready to start, possibly at the bye week.

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm

"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

User avatar
jewelsongs
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by jewelsongs » Mon May 03, 2021 2:47 pm

My Man!

User avatar
Ice
Posts: 2270
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm
Location: Delawhere?

Post by Ice » Mon May 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Unless Lit has a problem with the robe from a sartorial perspective, nothing at all wrong there. Carry on, young man.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10747
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Mon May 03, 2021 2:55 pm

He's got some nasty attitude. Totally see him head butting and kicking EDGE guys who helmet slam our QB. Also saw some more film. He finishes guys. Even when out of the play.

I like it.

User avatar
Professor Half Wit
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon May 03, 2021 3:26 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:52 pm
Unless Lit has a problem with the robe from a sartorial perspective, nothing at all wrong there. Carry on, young man.
I think it's hilarious.
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic