Still needs with remaining FA

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
RemoAZ

Re: Still needs with remaining FA

Post by RemoAZ » Fri May 14, 2021 5:58 pm

Kind of shocking to see all the hard core fans here fine with whoever the hell is going to play LT. We have a RT coming off being on the shelf for a full season (and not doing shit as a tackle before that), rookie center, second year guard (that at least looked like a stud last year) and someone that will be a starting LT for the first time. Am I the only one concerned about this with an aging Ben under center?

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:58 pm
Kind of shocking to see all the hard core fans here fine with whoever the hell is going to play LT. We have a RT coming off being on the shelf for a full season (and not doing shit as a tackle before that), rookie center, second year guard (that at least looked like a stud last year) and someone that will be a starting LT for the first time. Am I the only one concerned about this with an aging Ben under center?
I'd say wait until late august to start ordering rubber sheets. Maybe I'm just being optimistic.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 pm

I am very concerned about the lack of Quality depth at OLB behind the starters.A quality Veteran Like Kerrigan or Houston will go a long way to provide Depth.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri May 14, 2021 9:34 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Kind of shocking to see all the hard core fans here fine with whoever the hell is going to play LT.
I'm a glass half-full guy. You're worrying about who's going to play LT while I'm just satisfied to know that it won't be AV.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Post by 955876 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Am I the only one concerned about this with an aging Ben under center?
Once you realize the biggest problem this team has roams the sidelines the personel on the field matters much less.

So the oline is bad. Oh well.

We’ve gotten bounced from the postseason when the oline was among the best in the league.

Opposing coaches are pretty good at seeing our flaws/weaknesses before we do and responding accordingly.

We are real thin on the oline. Will be much thinner if a guy or two goes down.

And then the excuse will be, nobody can win with a bad online.

True. But then, that’s why maybe you take the best oline prospect with your 2nd rounder rather than taking a slow footed TE.

Maybe it all works out anyways. Time will tell.
”I was putting time pressure on the Raiders”… MT

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sat May 15, 2021 12:33 am

955876 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:31 pm
Am I the only one concerned about this with an aging Ben under center?
Once you realize the biggest problem this team has roams the sidelines the personel on the field matters much less.

So the oline is bad. Oh well.

We’ve gotten bounced from the postseason when the oline was among the best in the league.

Opposing coaches are pretty good at seeing our flaws/weaknesses before we do and responding accordingly.

We are real thin on the oline. Will be much thinner if a guy or two goes down.

And then the excuse will be, nobody can win with a bad online.

True. But then, that’s why maybe you take the best oline prospect with your 2nd rounder rather than taking a slow footed TE.

Maybe it all works out anyways. Time will tell.
Sure, I'd love to have a different coach but that's not happening. They won a SB with him when the talent was the best in the league. Maybe it can happen again. The alternative is not watching football until he's gone which will be what, 5 years or more? It is what it is.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

meanjustinbarlow

Post by meanjustinbarlow » Sun May 16, 2021 1:10 am

I think the line is coming up from its rock bottom.

At tackle, I think its grown obvious that Chuks and Banner had been showing a lot more than Feiler and Villy at this point.

They haven’t started extensively but they have way better builds and pedigrees than the guys they are replacing.

At guard, Feiler was soft, and Dotson should have started over him all year. DeCastro staying healthy one more year is the main variable to worry about.

At center, Green will lack Pounceys savvy but will be a throwback to his rookie-level athleticism, and if we can play downhill then he can stay heavier on the zone blocking which requires noggin work.

Moore and Finney are the depth guys which isn’t great but they can probably fill in a game or two if absolutely needed.

I think EGDE is way scarier since 4 guys get snaps every game and you really need 5 guys you feel comfortable having on the field. Feels like we have 2.5 right now...

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 am

Seriously...please someone tell me what Zack fucking Banner has ever done in the league that makes anyone warm and fuzzy about his ability to adequately hold down a starting spot. The guy is very good at running his mouth on social media, but not much else.
Never mind... he fits right in with Cool Shades minions.
Proud Bennonite since 2004 ;)

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun May 16, 2021 2:38 am

Jobu wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 am
Seriously...
It's nearly impossible to be worse. 32nd in rushing, and pass pro nearly as bad if the QB didn't lead the league in getting rid of the ball.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:25 am

Banner disinterested the job at Rt so I am thinking they are ok with him. The DD thing is very important he needs to be healthy and that a key to helping the run offense.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:31 am

I also agree with the Edge thing and they have to address that and that where a guy like Kerrigan will come in and instantly improve the depth and give us a quality player to back up Watt and Highsmith.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sun May 16, 2021 7:56 pm

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-team-fits- ... ree-agents

PFF suggests Russell Okung
Not sure how much he has left in the tank but for those of you that still think the Steelers can win now he might be worth a one year deal
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sun May 16, 2021 8:46 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
No you aren't alone, that's for sure. I'm in nail biting mode looking at those 2 tackles and neither fills me with confidence. That TE pick is still making me a little angry..not at the player (seems like a try hard type) but where they took him. I guess they have confidence beyond most STeelers fans understanding at this point.

A rookie C for sure is another worry..not many can just step right in and be above average (and he'll need to be better than even that, IMO). Dotson could ball back after flashing big time last year. That's no unprecedented ,especially when they have tape on you to work with.

Maybe we fill out the roster with some acquisitions that will make everything look better. Also its a long way to training camp and games. They changed out a lot of coaches and maybe we get some fresh ideas from some of them. Badly needed by this team.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:15 am

Lets see what Moore Shows but that a spot along with OLB for Watt

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon May 17, 2021 12:37 am

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:46 pm
RemoAZ wrote:
No you aren't alone, that's for sure. I'm in nail biting mode looking at those 2 tackles and neither fills me with confidence. That TE pick is still making me a little angry..not at the player (seems like a try hard type) but where they took him. I guess they have confidence beyond most STeelers fans understanding at this point.

A rookie C for sure is another worry..not many can just step right in and be above average (and he'll need to be better than even that, IMO). Dotson could ball back after flashing big time last year. That's no unprecedented ,especially when they have tape on you to work with.

Maybe we fill out the roster with some acquisitions that will make everything look better. Also its a long way to training camp and games. They changed out a lot of coaches and maybe we get some fresh ideas from some of them. Badly needed by this team.
I was praying they'd find a way to sign Fisher but he's gone now. I guess we have to hope someone decent gets cut or goes on the trade block. The guys left on the street are about the same as what we have on the roster. I can't imagine Ben is very happy with what he has to work with.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:31 am
I also agree with the Edge thing and they have to address that and that where a guy like Kerrigan will come in and instantly improve the depth and give us a quality player to back up Watt and Highsmith.
Signed with the Eagles. :(
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
23m
Teams that showed the most interest in Ryan Kerrigan were the Eagles, Steelers and Bengals. But he opted to stay in NFC East.
Quote Tweet
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
· 27m
Ryan Kerrigan announced he is signing with the Eagles.
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 pm
steelmann58 wrote:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
23m
Teams that showed the most interest in Ryan Kerrigan were the Eagles, Steelers and Bengals. But he opted to stay in NFC East.
Quote Tweet
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
· 27m
Well, at least we showed the second-most interest.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon May 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm
Professor Half Wit wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 pm
steelmann58 wrote:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
23m
Quote Tweet
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
· 27m
Well, at least we showed the second-most interest.
Neil Huntington...is that you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Proud Bennonite since 2004 ;)

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon May 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Ha!

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon May 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Better move to the next guy fast I am glad they realize can't go into the season with Marsh and a 6th rounder as Backup to Watt.
we need someone who can come in and relieve Watt during the game and more important if he is injured.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu May 20, 2021 5:55 pm

There are still several good players unsigned.

Best free agents still available, post-NFL Draft

Richard Sherman, cornerback
Russell Okung, Tackle
Mitchell Schwartz, Tackle
Melvin Ingram, EDGE
Rick Wagner, Tackle
K.J. Wright, Linebacker
Bobby Massie, Tackle
Malik Hooker, Safety
Austin Reiter, Center
Nickell Robery-Coleman, Cornerback
Duke Johnson, Running back
Danny Amendola, Wide receiver
Le’Veon Bell, Running back
Gareon Conley, Cornerback
Geno Atkins, Defensive lineman
Bashoud Breeland, Cornerback
Jurrell Casey, Defensive Lineman
Alshon Jeffery, Wide receiver
Justin Houston, EDGE
Kawann Short, Defensive lineman
Tre Boston, Safety
Dennis Kelly, Tackle
Adrian Clayborn, EDGE
Darqueze Dennard, Cornerback
Oliver Vernon, EDGE
Earl Thomas Jr., Safety
Kenny Stills, Wide receiver
B.J. Goodson, Linebacker
Bradley McGougald, Safety
James Carpenter, Guard
Dede Westbrook, Wide receiver
Trent Murphy, EDGE
Todd Gurley, Running back

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 20, 2021 6:38 pm

Considering Kerrigan only got about 3.5 mill, there's some folks on that list we could score on the cheap as hell.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:43 pm

The only players on that list that really interest me (with the caveat of "at the right price") are:

K.J. Wright, Linebacker (if he could fit our system...not sure?)
Bashoud Breeland, Cornerback
Justin Houston, EDGE

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu May 20, 2021 10:35 pm

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Tre Boston, definitely; does Okung still have anything left in the tank? Conley and Hooker were great in Columbus... not so much yet in the pros. Houston definitely worth a tire kick.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:19 am

If they can get a Veteran like Okung or Moses on the cheap they will give them A veteran backup on the left side. But think the most pressing needs is a veteran OLB and they need to put a full court press on Ingram or Houston.

AirRescueFF

Post by AirRescueFF » Fri May 21, 2021 4:59 am

Jobu wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 am
Seriously...please someone tell me what Zack fucking Banner has ever done in the league that makes anyone warm and fuzzy about his ability to adequately hold down a starting spot. The guy is very good at running his mouth on social media, but not much else.
Never mind... he fits right in with Cool Shades minions.

Tackle-eligible?

rooneytunes

Post by rooneytunes » Mon May 24, 2021 8:46 pm

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 pm

Please let it be the other Colt Houston. This is a bigger need.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic