Steelers are trading for Joe Schobert from Jacksonville

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Ice

Re: Steelers are trading for Joe Schobert from Jacksonville

Post by Ice » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Knowing the salary/cap angle, I definitely think this was a good move.

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:55 pm

DP39 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Looks like he converted $2.36 million of his remaining salary to a signing bonus, in order to shrink the cap charge for 2021.
Wonder if that will get paid in Florida or PA. Schobert could save himself a nice chunk of change by avoiding PA income tax.

Roeth2Rudolph

Post by Roeth2Rudolph » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:14 pm

Pabst wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:55 pm
DP39 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Looks like he converted $2.36 million of his remaining salary to a signing bonus, in order to shrink the cap charge for 2021.
Wonder if that will get paid in Florida or PA. Schobert could save himself a nice chunk of change by avoiding PA income tax.
That's a good question. I would think it will be in FL as that's where his primary residence likely was at the first of the year, but I'd have to defer to Signstein on this one, as he's more qualified to answer the question than I.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Ice wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:49 pm
Depends on how well he plays.

Avery Williamson was a really good player for the Jets.

He looked like a camp body in Pittsburgh (okay, maybe not just a camp body. He had that one big game against the Colts, but overall Williamson was unimpressive).

Schobert literally MUST make a positive impact at ILB this season because what we're currently sending out on the field isn't going to scare anybody.

Including Bush.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:10 pm

I feel like Bush is quite a bit better than people are giving credit for. The light seemed to go on in his 2nd year before he got hurt, and he was definitely trending up. He was never going to be Shazier, but I think he'll be a good to very good ILB.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:21 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:10 pm
I feel like Bush is quite a bit better than people are giving credit for. The light seemed to go on in his 2nd year before he got hurt, and he was definitely trending up. He was never going to be Shazier, but I think he'll be a good to very good ILB.
For what the Steelers gave up to get Bush, he needs to be a difference maker.....like Shazier. To be fair, Shazier wasn't a star his first year or so but you saw signs. I'll agree that Bush was trending up, but I'm not sure he was trending up towards difference maker territory and that's where Bush needs to be at some point soon.

Concerned the Schobert trade says as much about Bush as it does about Spillane.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:24 pm

Ice wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:49 pm
If it cost them extending Watt then it is a terrible trade.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:47 pm

If Watt is looking for the sort of guaranteed money it's been rumored he is, the 1 million Schobert costs against the cap isn't the issue, and Watt may very well get tagged twice then leave via FA.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:43 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:10 pm
Bush has a ton of talent and I agree, he was trending up. Still too early to make a call on him but I think this board waaaaay over-rates Shazier. Yeah, great athlete but those teams he played on were horrible against the run, especially in crunch time. Sure he could chase guys down but he had to do that way too much imo. That Cowboys game where they just ran it down our throats two drives 4th quarter in '16 I think it was, sticks out in my mind. Watching that defense gave me chest pains every game.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Ice wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:47 pm
If Watt is looking for the sort of guaranteed money it's been rumored he is, the 1 million Schobert costs against the cap isn't the issue, and Watt may very well get tagged twice then leave via FA.

Yep.....especially considering he will be 29 in 2 years
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Roeth2Rudolph

Post by Roeth2Rudolph » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:27 pm

What sticks out in my mind w/ Shazier is him coming up with a pick or forcing a fumble when we absolutely had to create a turnover late in order to have a chance at winning. It had become almost like clockwork.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Roeth2Rudolph wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:27 pm
What sticks out in my mind w/ Shazier is him coming up with a pick or forcing a fumble when we absolutely had to create a turnover late in order to have a chance at winning. It had become almost like clockwork.
Yeah.....Shazier had his faults at times .....but he also slammed the door numerous times as well and seemed to be rising in that regard IMO
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 am

"Schobert said he has been told once the regular season starts he’ll have the green communication dot on his helmet and will be responsible for making the defensive calls. "

LOL, 3 weeks on the team and he'll have the green dot. I remember when it took YEARS to learn Lebeau's defense. Might explain a few things.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Roeth2Rudolph

Post by Roeth2Rudolph » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:33 am

It's all in the first name.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 am
"Schobert said he has been told once the regular season starts he’ll have the green communication dot on his helmet and will be responsible for making the defensive calls. "

LOL, 3 weeks on the team and he'll have the green dot. I remember when it took YEARS to learn Lebeau's defense. Might explain a few things.
This is what I thought the trade was more about anyway. In several preseason interviews MT and others mentioned getting the right on-field adjustment calls made when there was a breakdown in that area; it was something that needed cleaned up. When the trade opp came up, my guess is KC talked to TJ and asked just how football smart Schobert was and he told him he could do the job and then some.

Imo, on D, you've got Cam, TJ, Minka and maybe Haden that are smart enough to make the right calls but they're in the wrong positions, so they went out and got a quality starting ILB that's more than capable in wearing the green dot. Not only do we get a better physical ILB, we get one that'll make everyone else better/smarter. This should also free up Bush to make more plays, hopefully.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:41 pm

Kodiak wrote:
It didn't. This is a complete myth.

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:41 pm
Kodiak wrote:
Dagummit, I think Butler's defense is a bit easier to understand than LeBeau's.

Post by 955876 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Can it really be called “Butler’s defense”???

Didn’t Jibbs take play calling duties from him?
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:33 am

Pabst wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Once upon a time the Steelers would draft defenders high in the draft, but they would rarely see the field as rookies causing much angst amongst the fandom causing some to suggest that LeBeau's defense was just too complicated for rookies to handle. I think it had more to do with the fact that back then we had outstanding talent on defense so there just wasn't the need for rookies to see the field.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:33 am

955876 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:45 pm
Can it really be called “Butler’s defense”???

Didn’t Jibbs take play calling duties from him?
Yes.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:49 am

El Kabong wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:33 am
Pabst wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Once upon a time the Steelers would draft defenders high in the draft, but they would rarely see the field as rookies causing much angst amongst the fandom causing some to suggest that LeBeau's defense was just too complicated for rookies to handle. I think it had more to do with the fact that back then we had outstanding talent on defense so there just wasn't the need for rookies to see the field.
And salaries were low enough that you could afford to keep rookies on the bench for a couple, three years before playing them significantly. Now? Not a great business model.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:01 am

Ice wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:49 am
El Kabong wrote:
Pabst wrote:

And salaries were low enough that you could afford to keep rookies on the bench for a couple, three years before playing them significantly. Now? Not a great business model.
And LeBeau loved his vets.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:36 am

El Kabong wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
That's exactly it. Lebeau was here from 2004-2014. Here is every defender drafted in the first round during that period:

Lawrence Timmons
Ziggy Hood
Cam Heyward
Jarvis Jones
Ryan Shazier

Timmons, Hood, and Heyward were all stuck behind All-Pros when they first got to Pittsburgh. And believe it or not, Jones and Shazier both started the majority of the games they appeared in during their rookie seasons.

Stephon Tuitt and Anthony Smith were both starting by the end of their first season.

6th round draft pick Vince Williams started 11 games as a rookie in 2013

Lamar Woodley was starting in his 2nd season.

Willie Gay and Bryant McFadden both saw plenty of playing time as rookies.

As for the others.......I know this may sound crazy, but the reason Dick Lebeau didn't play guys like Ricardo Colclough, Bruce Davis, Thaddeus Gibson, Curtis Brown, Alameda Ta'amu, etc is because they weren't any good.

StillMadAtSlobber

Post by StillMadAtSlobber » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:36 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:49 am
El Kabong wrote:
Pabst wrote:

And even worse, the FO sign non 1st rounders to 4 year contracts, so we didn't get much to base decisions on if they didnt see prolonged starting time until year 3.
Mike Tomlin: Bringing mediocrity to the 'Burgh for over a decade.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Good times... though Pabst makes good, well-reasoned points in his post about some of the specifics on defensive draft picks during the Lebeau Era, as well.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:12 am

Fort Injured in Baltimore:
Now they have lost former Steelers linebacker L.J. Fort. Via RavensWire, Fort suffered an ACL injury during the first half of a preseason game against the Carolina Panthers and is likely done for the year as a result.

After leaving Pittsburgh, Fort carved out an increased role in Baltimore. In his first two years with the Ravens, he totaled 88 tackles and two sacks. He played on defense and special teams.

One has to wonder if former Jacksonville Jaguars inside linebacker Joe Schobert may have become a Raven if he hadn’t just been traded to the Steelers last week.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:00 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:12 am
Fort Injured in Baltimore:
Now they have lost former Steelers linebacker L.J. Fort. Via RavensWire, Fort suffered an ACL injury during the first half of a preseason game against the Carolina Panthers and is likely done for the year as a result.

After leaving Pittsburgh, Fort carved out an increased role in Baltimore. In his first two years with the Ravens, he totaled 88 tackles and two sacks. He played on defense and special teams.

One has to wonder if former Jacksonville Jaguars inside linebacker Joe Schobert may have become a Raven if he hadn’t just been traded to the Steelers last week.
Makes me like the trade all the more. Sorry for Fort. Showed some flashes here, was good to see him making progress.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic