Re: Steelers vs Raiders Gane Comments Thread

Post by K_C_ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:49 pm
Steelperch wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:43 pm
Down two scores, 4th quarter, 6 key defensive players out injured and you elect to punt on 4th and 1 when your defense hasn’t stopped anyone the entire 2H. That’s a coaching loss and utter cowardice.
It was 4th down and less than half a yard.
Wonder what the team thinks about that call.
Tomlin, as Swiss has said many times, is the Pope.

He has that job until he dies.

The team could stage a bed in or a hunger strike and it doesn't matter for shit.

Mikey T is coach for life.

He's a piece of shit too.

“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Wait I thought Mike T was a situational football coach?
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:58 pm

tango_mike wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:36 pm
Mick wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:09 pm
Offense isn’t good and our second string D isn’t good either.

0 turnovers, and Carr was great all game.

Maybe the All 22 will show Ben not seeing open guys, but every pass he did throw more than a couple yards downfield went into tight coverage.

I think this should be an obvious statement, but without Watt, Tuitt, Haden, and Alualu this is a bad football team.
And you forgot Bush.
that doesn’t help, but i think this is still a bad team even with bush but without the rest of those guys. We didn’t give up much of anything on the ground as it was; just no playmakers against the pass. And no offense.

Stallworth16

Post by Stallworth16 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Not going for it on 4th was a huge mistake. We all knew that. Our defense with 5 injuries and wasn’t stopping Carr. A QB sneak gets it. Najee gets it. We still probably lose the game, but we hit that 4th down, our chances go up significantly.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Steelperch wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:43 pm
Down two scores, 4th quarter, 6 key defensive players out injured and you elect to punt on 4th and 1 when your defense hasn’t stopped anyone the entire 2H. That’s a coaching loss and utter cowardice.
Seems to me to they got the result they were looking for. Defense got a stop. Offense drove field next possession for a FG to make it a 1 score game. And still 3+ minutes of clock left to try and steal a victory.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 pm
K_C_ wrote:

Seems to me to they got the result they were looking for. Defense got a stop. Offense drove field next possession for a FG to make it a 1 score game. And still 3+ minutes of clock left to try and steal a victory.
I was riding bikes with my son. Thanks for clarifying.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:02 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:54 pm
K_C_ wrote:

They showed you on the field.
And BR shaking his head coming off the field.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:04 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:02 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

They showed you on the field.
And BR shaking his head coming off the field.
That sounds right.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:30 pm

jeemie wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:07 pm
Mike Tomlin now 2-5 vs the Raiders.
And Ben is 2-6 if I'm not mistaken. Also, winless against them in Oakland. Doubt he'll get a shot in Vegas.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:32 pm

If we can’t run the ball this offense will continue to be shit. Ben looks like an old man out there and this is as healthy as he’s going to be all season. Not good.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:40 pm

K_C_ wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Tomlin, as Swiss has said many times, is the Pope.

He has that job until he dies.

The team could stage a bed in or a hunger strike and it doesn't matter for shit.

Mikey T is coach for life.

He's a piece of shit too.
Yep, and it cracks me up there are actually folks here who will disagree.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:32 pm
If we can’t run the ball this offense will continue to be shit. Ben looks like an old man out there and this is as healthy as he’s going to be all season. Not good.
I believe Ben is a big reason we're having trouble running the football.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:07 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:44 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
How so?
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:10 pm

Ice wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:07 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
How so?
No rhythm to the offense. No play action. Shotgun on nearly every play.

Rudolph is nowhere near the QB Roethlisberger is (or maybe, was) but he had our shitty running game looking good in Cleveland because of rhythm and play action.

....and he wasn't in shotgun every play.

Time to try something different and Ben needs to buy in.

Harvey Woodlawn

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 pm

the offense again in the 1st half was utter garbage,and maybe the next OC should be someone from the outside

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:46 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:10 pm
Ice wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

How so?

Rudolph is nowhere near the QB Roethlisberger is (or maybe, was) but he had our shitty running game looking good in Cleveland because of rhythm and play action.

It could be, but it could also be simpler, just calling plays that have a better chance of getting positive yards, given the team's limitations. I actually feel like trying to "establish the run," leaving us in 3rd and long for our troubles more often than not, for entire first halves of games is more frustrating than anything else on offense so far this year, and for a lot of last. The line can somewhat hold up in pass pro. They (and it's weird, because conventional wisdom says it's easier) suck at run blocking.

And I wish people would quit bringing up one week 17 game against Cleveland as some ray of hope that Rudolph is the answer to anything. It's too small a sample size to mean something.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:52 pm

Ice wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:46 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:10 pm
Ice wrote:

How so?

It could be, but it could also be simpler, just calling plays that have a better chance of getting positive yards, given the team's limitations. I actually feel like trying to "establish the run," leaving us in 3rd and long for our troubles more often than not, for entire first halves of games is more frustrating than anything else on offense so far this year, and for a lot of last. The line can somewhat hold up in pass pro. They (and it's weird, because conventional wisdom says it's easier) suck at run blocking.

And I wish people would quit bringing up one week 17 game against Cleveland as some ray of hope that Rudolph is the answer to anything. It's too small a sample size to mean something.
I've said that Ben should most definitely remain at QB. He gives the Steelers the best chance to win.

But I don't believe it was a coincidence the offense flowed better that game last year in Cleveland. There was balance and rhythm.

Rudolph kept Cleveland off balance with play action both RB's and receivers had more room to operate.

Ben either throws quick passes or deep balls.

If you remember that Cleveland game, Rudolph was most effective throwing intermediate passes. He hit a few beautiful deep balls, but those 15-20 yarders off play action were the most beautiful. LInebackers frozen. A better QB than Rudolph probably wins that game. I'm not saying he's the answer, only that the way that game was called and that Rudolph played a good amount under center and kept the offense in a rhythm, was refreshing.

They might want to try this approach with Roethlisberger. Make him more of a point guard and less of a hero.

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Oh and Ice, it would also be pretty cool if Ben wasn't still tipping defenses off whether the Steelers are running or passing ahead of time, too.

:?

That might help the running game a bit if he'd stop.

Harvey Woodlawn

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Ben was pissed they didn’t go for it on 4th down. Tomlin is one of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL and still hasn’t figured out basic game management shit. He never will. 2 timeouts left, 6 injured defenders, trailing by 2 scores you have to go for it there.
Redskins Draft:
Marvin Harrison, Jr., WR, Ohio State
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:18 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:06 pm
Oh and Ice, it would also be pretty cool if Ben wasn't still tipping defenses off whether the Steelers are running or passing ahead of time, too.

That's factual. Can definitely get behind that.

On the other hand, it didn't stop Willie Parker from leading the league in rushing, or Bell and Conner from putting up 1,000 yard seasons, which leads me to believe there are bigger, more obvious issues in play.

The Cleveland game conjecture, I have little or no use for. The "flow" didn't get us any more points than we scored at Buffalo last week.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:22 pm

Ice wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:18 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:06 pm

That's factual. Can definitely get behind that.

On the other hand, it didn't stop Willie Parker from leading the league in rushing, or Bell and Conner from putting up 1,000 yard seasons, which leads me to believe there are bigger, more obvious issues in play.

The Cleveland game conjecture, I have little or no use for. The "flow" didn't get us any more points than we scored at Buffalo last week.
Like I said, a better quarterback than Rudolph probably wins that game and obviously puts up more points.

Zero doubt, Ben is part of the problem right now offensively, more than he is a solution.

Also, I don't remember Parker running behind a rookie center and rookie LT. A second year LG who barely played last year. He should have likely started but remained a back up the vast majority of the season......and Chuks is the worst RT I believe I have ever seen in the black and gold.

Not kidding.

Harvey Woodlawn

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Yup, that would be the bigger, more obvious problem I was alluding to. Knew Oline was going to be the weakest link going in, and it's the weakest link.

These injuries, though, Jesus. Don't even know what to say. Could become a lost season quickly at this point.
Last edited by Ice on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 955876 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:27 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 pm
Ben was pissed they didn’t go for it on 4th down. Tomlin is one of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL and still hasn’t figured out basic game management shit. He never will. 2 timeouts left, 6 injured defenders, trailing by 2 scores you have to go for it there.
In his postgame comments he said he wanted to play field position there and was comfortable the defense could get a stop.

The fact they got that stop just confirms to himself it was the right call. Even though it wasn’t.

Because giving them the ball back there even though we stopped them allowed them to bleed over two additional minutes off the clock.

His defense certainly needed to make a stop. But that stop should have came AFTER going for it on 4th down and ideally moving on to score that drive.

Then the D makes a stop

Then your offense gets the ball back down one score and enough time for a win or lose final drive.

His way means the defense needs to make two stops rather than one.

He never understands this math. He is a mediocre checkers player in a world of chess champions.

We needed less than 1 yard. They can’t spread out the D then have Najee push Ben behind Green for 12-18 inches?

Apparently not.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:43 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 pm
K_C_ wrote:

No they didn't. Tomlin made his defense have to stop them twice which they didn't do.

Go for it on 4th and 1 and get a score then you only need to stop them on their next drive which we did do. Tomlin punted on this scenario though.

I do not believe it was the optimal call there.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:15 am

I think you arr all being hard on Ben. Was he old when he shrugged off a tackle and got the ball to Harris to avoid a sack?

The Steelers run their patented U shaped offense. Doesn’t matter the coordination. There are only two constants: Ben and Tomlin. When Ben is in hurry up calling his own plays we aren’t doing the U shaped offense. Pretty sure it’s all Tomlin.

Tomlin suffers from a deficit in intelligence. He doesn’t understand that “trying to play it safe” (which is what the U offense tries to do — limit throws in the intermediate middle) inevitably leads you in situations where it’s 3rd and a mile which leads to you being behind the 8 ball which leads to you needing to take chances when the defense can sit on those chances.

The guy gets it wrong strategically and tactically (his game management decisions are infamously bad). He should’ve been fired years ago.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 pm
the offense again in the 1st half was utter garbage,and maybe the next OC should be someone from the outside
Canada came from the outside.
It’s time for everyone to open their eyes. We’ve seen OC after OC come and go…the offense remains the same.
Attrition football, get to third down, possess the ball, control the clock. Those words come out of Cool Shades mouth every week. This is the type of offense Mike Tomlin wants, and most importantly, it’s the type of offense A2 wants.
The OC is insignificant.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:35 am

Jobu wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 am
steelmann58 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 pm
Canada came from the outside.
It’s time for everyone to open their eyes. We’ve seen OC after OC come and go…the offense remains the same.
Attrition football, get to third down, possess the ball, control the clock. Those words come out of Cool Shades mouth every week. This is the type of offense Mike Tomlin wants, and most importantly, it’s the type of offense A2 wants.
The OC is insignificant.
If they don’t improve 1st down efficiency nothing will change. That is their biggest problem on offense.

All the grand plans of 5 wide sets, RPOs, ball control, time of possession, and setting up play action, doesn’t mean shit when we are averaging sub 3 yards on first down. Fix that and many problems go away.

WE SUCK SO BAD ON 1ST DOWN!

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
And you are well known for never being right about anything
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:36 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Harvin and Ben are more impactful than TJ Watt

Harvey Woodlawn

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:57 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:36 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 pm
K_C_ wrote:

Harvin and Ben are more impactful than TJ Watt
So far they have been
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare