A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Roeth2Rudolph

Re: Ben has pec injury

Post by Roeth2Rudolph » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:12 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:52 pm
Roeth2Rudolph wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:16 pm
Ehh... I'm pretty sure Ben's 'injury' is gonna keep him out of action this week.
Was thinking no way until I looked at the line. Opened at -6 1/2, now -3 1/2, maybe he is sitting out.
Yeah, maybe at someone's else's request.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:22 am

zeke5123 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:10 am
K_C_ wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:40 pm
Texas Steel wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:33 pm

Like the offense we've seen lately has been lights-out with finishing drives.

That said, I believe the rot comes from the top. Punts on 4th and 1 don't kick themselves you know.
Exactly why I don't think Rudolph would be a massive downgrade to what we've seen from this version of Roethlisberger.

As for the punting on 4th and 1, Peyton Manning, Brady or any other first ballot Hall of Famer would be screaming at their coach from the field that they wanted to go for it.

Ben's body language showed no fire. Just a little disappointment. I don't think Ben's heart is in this anymore.
I don’t know. Could be someone who is resigned to this kind Tomlin being Tomlin
Yeah, that's also a fair assessment. Ben just might be in "fuck Tomlin" mode I guess.

His passive aggressive press conference statements make that likely.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:20 am

K_C_ wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:19 pm
Here’s the problem. Rudolph has gotten much better at sustaining drives. His issue is finishing them. Rudolph has improved at making quick decisions and can rid of the ball fast.

Ben, who used to be able to flip a switch seemingly whenever he wanted and put together unbelievable drives which would always end in TD’s….well, that cat is gone.

Permanently.

This is his last go round. He moves slow. Doesn’t have the same zip. Before he shrugged off pass rushers. Now Ben rightfully looks scared shitless of them and plays like it. He isn’t making quick decisions and more often now, locks on to one receiver.

Ben doesn’t look like a confident QB anymore. He looks to me like he doubts his team and his own abilities.

I don’t think the gap between Roethlisberger and Rudolph is all that wide anymore. In fact i think it’s quite small.
Rudolph can't finish drives enough and never will because he's too pedestrian. He can't light up defenses. It's not complicated. Please spare me the rainbows vs Browns... means nothing that matters except for an occasional spot start as a backup.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 am

Havoc wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:20 am
K_C_ wrote:
Here’s the problem. Rudolph has gotten much better at sustaining drives. His issue is finishing them. Rudolph has improved at making quick decisions and can rid of the ball fast.

Ben, who used to be able to flip a switch seemingly whenever he wanted and put together unbelievable drives which would always end in TD’s….well, that cat is gone.

Permanently.

This is his last go round. He moves slow. Doesn’t have the same zip. Before he shrugged off pass rushers. Now Ben rightfully looks scared shitless of them and plays like it. He isn’t making quick decisions and more often now, locks on to one receiver.

Ben doesn’t look like a confident QB anymore. He looks to me like he doubts his team and his own abilities.

I don’t think the gap between Roethlisberger and Rudolph is all that wide anymore. In fact i think it’s quite small.
Rudolph can't finish drives enough and never will because he's too pedestrian. He can't light up defenses. It's not complicated. Please spare me the rainbows vs Browns... means nothing that matters except for an occasional spot start as a backup.
We’ve scored 3 TD’s in 2 games so far this season.

Rudolph ain’t the only Steelers QB unable to finish drives.

Ben’s looking awful pedestrian lately.

We’ll see if he can snap out of it but with the amount of punishment he’s taking, I wouldn’t bet your house on it.

This is the big guy’s last rodeo.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:29 am

Baltostiller wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:54 pm
In case you guys forget, Mason Rudolph has ZERO pocket presence. He has no idea where the rush is coming from and will get killed behind this OL.
The minute he takes a snap in anything but mop up duty is the end of the season. They should start dumping non-core guys for picks they lack at that point if anyone we have has any value.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:36 am

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 am
Havoc wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Permanently.

We’ll see if he can snap out of it but with the amount of punishment he’s taking, I wouldn’t bet your house on it.

Ugly loss.

We had a high after Game 1 and a low after Game 2. As fast as things turned ugly, they can turn the other direction again (maybe).

I'm not throwing in the towel on the season.

This defense is talented and stacked. I can live with struggling some early as long as we remain in contention and make it to the tournament hopefully with a healthy defense and the OL coming together well enough to be competitive.

The landscape of the NFL changes every 4 games, some teams rise and some teams fall. I want to be rising in the end playing games that matter most while playing our best ball of the season. I'm still riding, way too early to bail.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 am

Havoc wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:36 am
K_C_ wrote:
Havoc wrote:

Ugly loss.

We had a high after Game 1 and a low after Game 2. As fast as things turned ugly, they can turn the other direction again (maybe).

This defense is talented and stacked. I can live with struggling some early as long as we remain in contention and make it to the tournament hopefully with a healthy defense and the OL coming together well enough to be competitive.

The landscape of the NFL changes every 4 games, some teams rise and some teams fall. I want to be rising in the end playing games that matter most while playing our best ball of the season. I'm still riding, way too early to bail.
That stacked defense after game 1 doesn’t look so stacked anymore. Everyone is hurt and groin injuries can linger. Anyway modern football is about scoring points. Brady has 9 TD passes. Hell, Joe Burrow has 4.

Going forward I don’t think you can count on the defense and special teams carrying the offense anymore. After Burrow this week, we get Aaron Rodgers

We are quickly going to find out if Ben can hang with the big boys.

Harvey Woodlawn

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:20 am

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 am
Havoc wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Ugly loss.

That stacked defense after game 1 doesn’t look so stacked anymore. Everyone is hurt and groin injuries can linger. Anyway modern football is about scoring points. Brady has 9 TD passes. Hell, Joe Burrow has 4.

Going forward I don’t think you can count on the defense and special teams carrying the offense anymore. After Burrow this week, we get Aaron Rodgers

The good news on the defensive injuries is we have 15 more RS games to go. Injuries are part of the game, better to get them out of the way early.

I can live with taking some lumps early and expected it with the OL overhaul. Giants were 7-7 in 2011 and then it all came together. In 2008 I was thinking we had a shot at the SB while watching our OL get it's ass kicked in the early season game vs Eagles because even in that game I could see how talented that defense was knowing of course the OL would have to be better than that game.

Doubt we have enough OL horses to get it done but man with the OL overhaul I'm willing to give it time to see if it can develop into a solid unit.

17 RS games is a long season. I don't need Ben to hang with the big boys right now. I want him to get healthy and for this OL to improve enough in the run game and passing game to give us a shot and for the defense to be healthy when it matters most as long as in the end we control our own destiny.

Find a way to beat the Bengals Sunday. Don't care how in this one just get us to 2-1.

Steelknife

Post by Steelknife » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:22 am

Disappointing we didn't try to make a move for a QB in the deepest QB class in years.

It's thin for next year. Not at all sold on Rattler, Howell, Strong, or Slovis. I personally like Willis, but not where he'll go. I think 2 or 3 of them go top 10, but not because they deserve it, but because the class is so weak.

Think we're in for a semi-long season this year, and an extremely long one next.

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:47 am

A good running game takes the pressure off the QB.

Something the Steelers don't have.

And when behind on the scoreboard Ben starts forcing things.

Keeps looking to make a play. He rarely throws the ball away. Is there a stat for this?

If the Oline can't pass protect or run the ball none of the QBs on the roster will have much chance of success.
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Rod & Wire Mill

Post by Rod & Wire Mill » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:33 am

Let me be clear with my personal opinion. Rudolph sucks. He never had much as an nfl qb and after that hit by Baltimore he was finished. Steelers aren’t wasting time and capital (see Haskins) on the position until they absolutely have to (Ben really gone)). Seven lean years coming.

Roeth2Rudolph

Post by Roeth2Rudolph » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:17 pm

I dunno man, I'm pretty sure the front office knew Ben was done after last year. It's why they floated the 'we'd love to have him back, but aren't sure if we can afford it' statement out there. Then they locked Rudolph up for another year, making sure they have a legit NFL QB after Ben retires in '21. Rudolph clearly played his best game in week 17 last year, AFTER that hit in Baltimore. The game he played was light years ahead of Roethlisberger's last ten or so BTW.

Rod & Wire Mill

Post by Rod & Wire Mill » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:19 pm

Roeth2Rudolph wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:17 pm
I dunno man, I'm pretty sure the front office knew Ben was done after last year. It's why they floated the 'we'd love to have him back, but aren't sure if we can afford it' statement out there. Then they locked Rudolph up for another year, making sure they have a legit NFL QB after Ben retires in '21. Rudolph clearly played his best game in week 17 last year, AFTER that hit in Baltimore. The game he played was light years ahead of Roethlisberger's last ten or so BTW.
Apparently one swallow does make a

TTP

Post by TTP » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm

I am not a Rudolph hater by any means but his play last year in Cleveland has been greatly exaggerated. The Steelers didn't get into double digits in points until there 10:13 left in the game. It was 24-9 Browns at the time. How is that good QB play against one of the worst defenses in the NFL? He completed just 56% of his passes and threw an absolutely brutal pick that led to the Browns final TD.

It was a decent performance from a back-up QB. They had a chance to win the game and that is just about all you can ask. But, it wasn't some kind of indication that Rudolph is a starter QB. Not at all.
"A sedan is usually functional. This offense looks more like a broken down 80’s chevette being driven by 85 year old Chinese woman."

-SteelPro

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm

TTP wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm
I am not a Rudolph hater by any means but his play last year in Cleveland has been greatly exaggerated. The Steelers didn't get into double digits in points until there 10:13 left in the game. It was 24-9 Browns at the time. How is that good QB play against one of the worst defenses in the NFL? He completed just 56% of his passes and threw an absolutely brutal pick that led to the Browns final TD.

It was a decent performance from a back-up QB. They had a chance to win the game and that is just about all you can ask. But, it wasn't some kind of indication that Rudolph is a starter QB. Not at all.
It is funny you say that because (ignoring the troll) Rudolph's last game has become "legendary" despite it being just okay. In many ways, it was similar to Ben's game against the Raiders. It wasn't that great of a performance, but wasn't bad. I'd actually say Ben's game against the Raiders was better (as was Ben's performance against the Colts).

The problem for those pimping Rudolph is that the Cleveland game was by far Rudolph's best game and it wasn't that good. This was the guy that got benched for the duck dude. Even in the PS, Rudolph looked a lot like Landry Jones. The guy just isn't any good.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 pm

TTP wrote:

Is that the same "one of the worst defenses in the NFL" that picked off Roethlisberger 4 (or was it 5, I forget?) times one week later, in Heinz field?

Oh and let me add that I don't think Rudolph's performance in Cleveland (again, against a team that had to win or no playoffs, while the Steelers had nothing to play for) was anything more than very promising.

Why? Rudolph threw some absolutely gorgeous deep balls in that game, the running game looked better than it had most of the year and Rudolph sustained drives.

Came within a failed 2 point play of taking that game to overtime.

Was a very promising performance under very difficult circumstances and there was a whole lot to like about it.

Rudolph and company kept Cleveland's offense off the field and didn't give them short fields. That's why that game was so close and the playoff game a week later was a laugher....and it wasn't Steelers fans who were laughing, unfortunately.

Harvey Woodlawn

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:14 pm

Ben Roethlisberger (pectoral) may still play on Sunday but his throws are causing pain.
Roethlisberger injured his pectoral in Week 2. He seems likely to suit up this week, but his status will need to be monitored. If the 39 year-old quarterback does play, fantasy managers should expect even less deep passing this week, despite the fact that Roethlisberger has already attempted less deep throws than Jared Goff this season. Facing the Bengals Sunday, the Steelers offense is shaping up to be a painful experience for everyone.
SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter
Sep 22, 2021, 9:54 AM ET
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm

"A painful experience for everyone" sums things up nicely. Pearl from Dulac, there.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Ice wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm
"A painful experience for everyone" sums things up nicely. Pearl from Dulac, there.
Don’t think that was from Dulac
He’s just credited with the injury update
“Painful experience for everyone” just a snarky comment from the anonymous author of the rotoblurb
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:15 pm

Steelknife wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:22 am
Disappointing we didn't try to make a move for a QB in the deepest QB class in years.

It's thin for next year. Not at all sold on Rattler, Howell, Strong, or Slovis. I personally like Willis, but not where he'll go. I think 2 or 3 of them go top 10, but not because they deserve it, but because the class is so weak.

Think we're in for a semi-long season this year, and an extremely long one next.
I think there are as many quality NFL QB prospects in the upcoming draft class as there were in the last one.

You just have to get your eye off of Rattled and Howell. I think Willis, Barriere, Kelley, McCall, Glass, & to an extent Strong can all play. They each offer something different & special, all have issues on which they could improve. But honestly, I’d put them up against the top 5 picks from 2021, in terms of playing winning football. I think the 2021 class was wayyyyy overhyped.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:50 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:15 pm
Steelknife wrote:

I think there are as many quality NFL QB prospects in the upcoming draft class as there were in the last one.

You just have to get your eye off of Rattled and Howell. I think Willis, Barriere, Kelley, McCall, Glass, & to an extent Strong can all play. They each offer something different & special, all have issues on which they could improve. But honestly, I’d put them up against the top 5 picks from 2021, in terms of playing winning football. I think the 2021 class was wayyyyy overhyped.
What do you think about Ridder?
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Roeth2Rudolph

Post by Roeth2Rudolph » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:52 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 pm
TTP wrote:

Is that the same "one of the worst defenses in the NFL" that picked off Roethlisberger 4 (or was it 5, I forget?) times one week later, in Heinz field?

Oh and let me add that I don't think Rudolph's performance in Cleveland (again, against a team that had to win or no playoffs, while the Steelers had nothing to play for) was anything more than very promising.

Why? Rudolph threw some absolutely gorgeous deep balls in that game, the running game looked better than it had most of the year and Rudolph sustained drives.

Came within a failed 2 point play of taking that game to overtime.

Was a very promising performance under very difficult circumstances and there was a whole lot to like about it.

Rudolph and company kept Cleveland's offense off the field and didn't give them short fields. That's why that game was so close and the playoff game a week later was a laugher....and it wasn't Steelers fans who were laughing, unfortunately.
Yeah that same defense made Roethlisberger look like Ryan Leaf on a bad day. Rudolph looked like Joe Montana in comparison.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:50 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelknife wrote:

Just throwing my 2 cents in there......

I watched him beat my Hoosiers last Saturday, but as a QB I do not think the guy is a high level NFL prospect.

He has some mobility but his arm is nothing special. Not the most accurate thrower I've seen either.

Harvey Woodlawn

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:50 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelknife wrote:

Small. Way too many risks. I appreciate his 'never say die' kind of mentality but I don't think he's special enough to overcome his physical limitations. For example, Eric Barriere is the same size, plays incredibly smart football, and is a much more accurate downfield thrower. He has the same killer mentality but doesn't shoot himself in the foot as often.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:01 pm
Ice wrote:
“Painful experience for everyone” just a snarky comment from the anonymous author of the rotoblurb
Damn shame when snarky and accurate intersect at the cold, hard truth.

Texas Steel

Post by Texas Steel » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:23 pm

K_C_ wrote:

I agree.

I firmly believe that instead of being Ben's "Light-em-up Farewell Tour", it's really, "Ben's Final Payday."

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Ice wrote:
Yep…if Dulac actually said that, he’d be forced to stand in the corner at Shades next presser.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:54 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Ice wrote:
Yep…if Dulac actually said that, he’d be forced to stand in the corner at Shades next presser.
As long as it's the corner with the catering table, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Ice wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:23 pm
Jobu wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:54 pm
Steeldrama wrote:

As long as it's the corner with the catering table, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
True. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Havoc wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:20 am
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 am
Havoc wrote:

Ugly loss.

The good news on the defensive injuries is we have 15 more RS games to go. Injuries are part of the game, better to get them out of the way early.

I can live with taking some lumps early and expected it with the OL overhaul. Giants were 7-7 in 2011 and then it all came together. In 2008 I was thinking we had a shot at the SB while watching our OL get it's ass kicked in the early season game vs Eagles because even in that game I could see how talented that defense was knowing of course the OL would have to be better than that game.

Doubt we have enough OL horses to get it done but man with the OL overhaul I'm willing to give it time to see if it can develop into a solid unit.

17 RS games is a long season. I don't need Ben to hang with the big boys right now. I want him to get healthy and for this OL to improve enough in the run game and passing game to give us a shot and for the defense to be healthy when it matters most as long as in the end we control our own destiny.

Find a way to beat the Bengals Sunday. Don't care how in this one just get us to 2-1.
Even if we had the same record as last year, think how incredible it would be to lose all the games in September and Oct, and then rip off 12, 11 or 10 in a row. I would love to experience the opposite of last year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic