A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Re: 2019

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:05 pm

Cam Heyward will be done by the time they get it back together (in the most optimistic scenario) and Watt/Najee will be not far from the end… but those two and DJ will be the “core”. If we’re lucky.

1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:23 pm

The Minkah trade was a disaster

We all hoped it would be great but it remains exactly what it was then

Huge draft capital for a disgruntled player that won’t embrace the physical part of the game

This team really needs to just stick with a patient plan and value tried and true ideas a little more

No OL under 320
No NT under 330
Bring in some coordinators and position coaches with credibility
Reserve premium draft picks for premium positions
Don’t bid against yourselves in FA
Don’t overpay good not great talent
Don’t draft WRs that won’t learn to compensate for their weaknesses

Etc etc

I get a very strong feeling the scouting department scouts from a very parochial mindset and tends to have a little guy syndrome approach
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:28 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:23 pm
The Minkah trade was a disaster

We all hoped it would be great but it remains exactly what it was then

Huge draft capital for a disgruntled player that won’t embrace the physical part of the game

This team really needs to just stick with a patient plan and value tried and true ideas a little more

No OL under 320
No NT under 330
Bring in some coordinators and position coaches with credibility
Reserve premium draft picks for premium positions
Don’t bid against yourselves in FA
Don’t overpay good not great talent
Don’t draft WRs that won’t learn to compensate for their weaknesses

Etc etc

I get a very strong feeling the scouting department scouts from a very parochial mindset and tends to have a little guy syndrome approach
I'm not ready to throw Minkah under the bus. I think Minkah is being asked to do things to compensate for other shitty pieces that do not maximize his skills. Obviously that is just my opinion. That guy that was absolutely electric when he was acquired did not suddenly become shitty.

But none of it matters. Watt, Minkah, DJ, Najee, these dudes well be on the backside by the time this franchise gets its head out of its ass.

Nothing changes until Tomlin goes. Nothing. And Tomlin probably goes nowhere bc of Arty Deuce.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:30 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Cam Heyward will be done by the time they get it back together (in the most optimistic scenario) and Watt/Najee will be not far from the end… but those two and DJ will be the “core”. If we’re lucky.
Sad but true

Especially since it doesn’t have to be that way

There will be some great RBs in the 7th. They could turn that entire unit into a strength quickly. They will probably draft a slowish white guy ILB and a CB with one nice measurable but not enough in every other

Rooney Colbert Tomlin

If their was just one of them who was above par it wouldn’t need to be this hard

Those three together right now is a franchise killer
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

blu

Post by blu » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:48 pm

955876 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:37 pm
this team would already be two years into reshaping the franchise, possibly with a new franchise QB already at the helm.
Jibba Jabba isn’t capable of the task though.

I don’t want who he thinks is our future franchise QB.

I don’t want the players he wants to build around.

He opinion is no longer valid.

Until this turd is flushed we will continue to smell shit.

Regardless whether we are “rebuilding” or not.

Flush this turd.

Some of here having been calling Jibbs a turd for years now. Sucks to be so damn right about something many of us saw years ago.

Too bad the Dunce is still mesmerized by the useless wordsmiff.
The above is so true but doesn't need more than 1 sentence - As long as Tomlin is at the helm of the Pittsburgh Steelers that any rebuild is irrelevant.

blu

Post by blu » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:56 pm

drmalba wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:57 am
DP39 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:44 pm
Ever watch a Belicheat presser? While he's certainly weird at times, he'll also give you a very detailed answer that shows a superior knowledge of the game he's coaching.
Yes, if they won by 57 points, and if you ask him nicely about the history of the 2-point conversion, his seventeenth-generation football sperglord genes will reflexively kick in and you will get that detail.
Overall though Belichick seems like the most evasive slimy cockweasel to ever slouch behind a press podium. And he doesn't even bother to dress up the bullshit he shovels by the metric shit-ton. He's as lazy about it as his wardrobe.
I used to hate Belichek but the enemy of my enemy can be my friend. What Mike Tomlin has done to the B&G is beyond disgusting.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:29 pm

blu wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:56 pm
drmalba wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:57 am
DP39 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:44 pm
Ever watch a Belicheat presser? While he's certainly weird at times, he'll also give you a very detailed answer that shows a superior knowledge of the game he's coaching.
Yes, if they won by 57 points, and if you ask him nicely about the history of the 2-point conversion, his seventeenth-generation football sperglord genes will reflexively kick in and you will get that detail.
Overall though Belichick seems like the most evasive slimy cockweasel to ever slouch behind a press podium. And he doesn't even bother to dress up the bullshit he shovels by the metric shit-ton. He's as lazy about it as his wardrobe.
I used to hate Belichek but the enemy of my enemy can be my friend. What Mike Tomlin has done to the B&G is beyond disgusting.
I hate Belichick for only one reason....he treats NFL games and winning like real war -- instilled in him by his father, imo. He will win at all costs. He has proven time and time again that he will bend rules to the point of breaking them. That said, I admire him for all of his other HC qualities. He smartly outworks just about anyone. Outside of his cheating, he really is playing chess when most are playing checkers (Tomlin).

But, when it comes to wordsmiffin' and looking cool, Tomlin is no doubt a GM (Grandmaster).

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Outside of his cheating, he really is playing chess when most are playing checkers (Tomlin).
Tomlin isn’t even playing checkers…more like Tiddlywinks or Pixie Stix!
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:35 pm
Outside of his cheating, he really is playing chess when most are playing checkers (Tomlin).
Connect Four, baby.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:20 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:39 pm
Jobu wrote:
Connect Four, baby.
I’d say Stratego but sadly that’s too cerebral

Put me down for Chutes and Ladders

Kodiak.

Post by Kodiak. » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:31 pm

Jizz Mop wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:20 pm
Jobu wrote:

Connect Four, baby.

WAR.....he likes the strategy involved, and just TRY to name another game that better epitomizes a battle of attrition.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weighty downs...the lifeblood of ball possession

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:49 pm

Kodiak. wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:31 pm
Jizz Mop wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:20 pm

Connect Four, baby.

WAR.....he likes the strategy involved, and just TRY to name another game that better epitomizes a battle of attrition.
ding, ding...we have a winner.

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:51 pm

blu wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:48 pm
955876 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:37 pm
this team would already be two years into reshaping the franchise, possibly with a new franchise QB already at the helm.
Jibba Jabba isn’t capable of the task though.

I don’t want who he thinks is our future franchise QB.

I don’t want the players he wants to build around.

He opinion is no longer valid.

Until this turd is flushed we will continue to smell shit.

Regardless whether we are “rebuilding” or not.

Flush this turd.

Some of here having been calling Jibbs a turd for years now. Sucks to be so damn right about something many of us saw years ago.

Too bad the Dunce is still mesmerized by the useless wordsmiff.
The above is so true but doesn't need more than 1 sentence - As long as Tomlin is at the helm of the Pittsburgh Steelers that any rebuild is irrelevant.
But Tomlin rebuilt the defense...Right?...*sigh*

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:54 pm

You don’t need a fat as NT, just a good one. How much do Alualu and Hargrave weigh? Losing Hargrave and Hilton, two good young defenders in their prime was a massive fuck up.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:03 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:54 pm
You don’t need a fat as NT, just a good one. How much do Alualu and Hargrave weigh? Losing Hargrave and Hilton, two good young defenders in their prime was a massive fuck up.
But we had to make sure we gave Ebron $12MM. Because, you know, he's fun at practice; he's an "energy bringer", a "giver". :roll:

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:05 pm

Remember when Keith Butler didn’t think Hargrave could rush the passer or play DE?

Kodiak.

Post by Kodiak. » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:05 pm
Remember when Keith Butler didn’t think Hargrave could rush the passer or play DE?
I think this criticism is overblown. As much as they play 2 DL in nickel, paying a 3rd DL top-10 money made no sense. Could they have found the money? Sure, but that's not a great ROI.

Bottom line is Tomlin has an extremely poor track record of developing players AND coaches. IMO, Colbert is a HOF GM, but he can't do it all by himself.

Letting Tomlin rebuild this team and staff all by himself is going to be comical. I'm almost looking forward to it, in a sort of "can't NOT look at the car wreck" kind of way. It's going to set the real rebuild for the next coach back a few years, but Stillers.com should benefit greatly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weighty downs...the lifeblood of ball possession

Hacksaw

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:31 pm

Hacksaw Jim Duggan here. HOOOOOOO! Don't know why I can't post on my old account. All this sounds like it's more accurate as the years go by!

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:34 pm

DP39 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:03 pm
Steelperch wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:54 pm
But we had to make sure we gave Ebron $12MM. Because, you know, he's fun at practice; he's an "energy bringer", a "giver". :roll:
Man this could not be more spot on. Ebron was a fuckstick with a big mouth who couldn't back it up.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:48 pm

I don't usually like to play the shoulda woulda game, but . . .

1.28 Terrell Edmunds (Safety with a 2nd/3rd round grade)
1.31 Lamar Jackson (Soon to be 2 time MVP)

This one hurt multiple ways. There were tons of rumors that the Steelers loved Jackson. I remember that pick coming up and hoping for Jackson. Then they way over draft a safety. Then there mortal enemy takes the QB they supposedly love.

Should have picked him, let him sit for a few years (which would have turned out to be a few weeks), then bring him in when Ben's gone, ala Love and Rodgers

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm

To me, it wasn't about franchise QB or no Franchise QB. If you tank (and you would've without Minkah that year -- he was fantastic) you have a really high pick the following year, but you had Ben coming back. Do you pick QB? Or do you trade down, load up on talent and draft capital?

Again, probably doesn't matter with Tomlin and his merry men picking but...

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:01 pm

Rebuilds don't have to take multipole years so the notion that there was a start date when it had to happen is ridiculous to me.

We see this every year or two where teams that were bottom feeders turn things around with a quickness with a few smart moves. The talent across most NFL teams is comparable outside the QB position. QB + head coach are the two most important components.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:48 pm

One of my better takes. Hated the Minkah trade then, hate it even more now.

Crazy how far back Tomlin was aware of NHALS

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 pm

The holes on defense and offense are fixable in a short time.

Except for QB.

We got that so wrong, along with the OC… that is what is going to hold this team back going forward.

We we need an offensive mind that Tomlin has to be told he must give control to.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

XPGH

Post by XPGH » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:57 pm

All I know is the guy who keeps trotting Percy Harvin
out to punt is not the guy to improve this team.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic