Mason will start against Ravens...Kenny Pickett is Healthy

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
swissvale72

Re: Mason will start against Ravens...Kenny Pickett is Healthy

Post by swissvale72 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:34 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:30 pm
Here comes the question...WHY does Tomlin dislike Rudolph so?

Don't get me wrong...Mason did not show in the past he could play like this, except in flashes.

BUT...the reports from observers during training camp/preseason 2022 was that Rudolph clearly outplayed both Pickett and Trubisky (my own untrained observations were that Trubisky was the WORST QB in preseason that year) but Trubisky was handed the job anyway.

And Mason then rotted on the bench last year, and then this year when it was CLEAR Mitch couldn't even play QB at a minimal functional level.

So what did Mason do to get in Tomlin's doghouse so much?
And it's odd, because he presents as a humble, respectful guy, like by his teammates....seemingly religious like his coach. Only one who didn't seem to like him was Ben, who was pissed they drafted Mason before he even met the guy.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:40 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:27 pm
Just make sure you all keep your arguments on point.

I believe this makes Tomlin an even bigger fool which will now leave some of you defending Tomlin because you took your eye off of why Tomlin made this decision and why!

The issue was Canada all along. And the reason for the issue with Canada is because Bonehead Tomlin hired him!

Keep your eye on the decision chain here and why!

They fired Canada and there was an offensive explosion against Cincy with Pickett. Then he was moving the team down the field like a hot knife thru butter against the Cardinals…game manager and protecting the ball, all they have been asking of Pickett.

He gets injured on the 1!

And that is the end of Pickett.

Keep your eye on the decision and why!

Pickett runs out and gets surgery for the team so he can get back as quickly as possible.

The change in attitude….Tomlin still thinks it was QB play and not Canada…now he is having the debate in his head…I knew it wasn’t Canada… MY BOY BLUE!!!!! He is a dodo bird of the highest order.

Don’t lose sight of the decision chain here and why!

Now Mitch the cowboy takes over at the one yard line and completely shits the bed with the offense and treats the ball and possessions like water and oxygen. Turnovers galore.

Tomlin now has Mitch and Canada mud in his face! He is forced to use Rudolph a few games later.

Tomlin still smarting all along over having to fire Canada!

Keep your eye on the decisions and why!

So now Tomlin puts in Rudolph and he has a very similar offensive explosion as Pickett’s against the same Cincy team and now Tomlin has decided all along that it was the QB play!

Do you see the change here! He just kneecapped his number one draft pick prematurely because his ego was bruised over, one, Canada and two, his shitty evaluation of Mitch over Rudolph!

Keep your eye on the inportant decision!

This is the coach that never let a starter lose their spot to injury! He has said that a zillion times!

Rudolph has another game manager game! He made some nice throws Sunday. I don’t know that Pickett makes the finger tip throw to Pickens Sunday…but he has made some nice throws as well, especially with a good running game. Keep your eye on Tomlin’s decision and why!

They wanted Pickett to be a game manager, they got it, then they fired Canada and it seemed everyone was taking a leap in the newer offense under Sullivan and Faulkner! Then Tomlin at the most important point in Pickett’s evaluation totally kneecaps Pickett because he is still fucking smarting about getting forced to fire Canada, and then Mitch blows up for the second year in a row and Tomlin decides to obfuscate the whole decision tree with Rudolph!

If you guys think there is that much difference between Rudolph and Pickett at this point I have a bridge to sell you!

This is about now. This is about NHALS. This is about obfuscation of recent major decisions! A big ole fat Tomlin CYA!

Let hear all you defend Tomlin now? Oh how the turn tables! I just don’t see that much of a difference in the play between Rudolph and Pickett to pull the plug on the evaluation when everyone with a pulse knows it was Canada the whole time.

So I think we will be set back even further now!

Anyone buying this line of thinking and keeping the bigger picture in focus?
Results-wise I agree there is not much difference between Rudolph and Pickett when you take Canada out of the equation. And that Mitch is horrendous either with or without Canada.

BUT- sorry, Mason is getting his results by providing actual QB leadership and doing actual QB things (going through progressions, making the right choice and getting the ball out on time). Kenny was still one read and bail...whenever you see Kenny moving his eyes, he's almost always not looking at second and third reads...he's trying to move DBs off his primary read.

The defenses we faced (Cincinnati and Seattle) were bad enough (Cincy against the pass and Seattle against the run) that likely both Kenny and Mason could succeed against them.

Against tougher defenses, a QB that can do QB things is likely going to have more success than a one read and bail QB.

This is my take.

The last takes:

Pickens, for sure, and I believe others, stated Mason throws a more "catchable" ball...meaning easier to catch and can do more things like getting YAC from Mason's passes than Kenny's.

I believe the OL is playing more confidently because Mason stays in the pocket like he's supposed to. This is speculation on my part, but if you were an O-lineman, who would you instinctively hold your blocks for better...a QB that's going to stand tall in the pocket looking to deliver the ball downfield, or the QB who's going to bail from the pocket at the slightest hint of pressure?

PS You are correct, however. I now know what I think of Kenny so it's not too early for me for the evaluation to be over...but Tomlin's behavior is going to make it difficult to salvage Kenny's career here, so if he COULD have become a little better with competent offensive coaching, we are likely not going to learn that here.
Last edited by jeemie on Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:41 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:34 pm
And it's odd, because he presents as a humble, respectful guy, like by his teammates....seemingly religious like his coach. Only one who didn't seem to like him was Ben, who was pissed they drafted Mason before he even met the guy.
Ben tells a different story. I know people like to dismiss things Ben says, but according to him he got the starting job and blew Ben's advice off. Which tracks with the actual history of their relationship because while Ben was annoyed at the draft selection, it wasn't until Mason publicly said he didn't expect or need Ben to mentor him that Ben seemed to have any issue with him. Ben had no problem with the other QB's taken in the mid-rounds by the team. A few draft selections separate Mason from Dobbs who was close with Ben.

Does that make Mason a bad guy? No. But he has spent the last few years taking passive aggressive shots through the media at the team's former franchise QB. And we all know he's doing it. So maybe he's not as "humble" as people think. And then going into last off-season, he was clearly done with the team before he realized NO ONE ELSE wanted his ass to even be a third string QB.

Good for him for not quitting and taking his ball home. And he's played well the last two weeks. But the perception of him is that he's some sort of saint as if he's really had much choice but to accept the role he's in.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:41 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

I believe this makes Tomlin an even bigger fool which will now leave some of you defending Tomlin because you took your eye off of why Tomlin made this decision and why!

The issue was Canada all along. And the reason for the issue with Canada is because Bonehead Tomlin hired him!

They fired Canada and there was an offensive explosion against Cincy with Pickett. Then he was moving the team down the field like a hot knife thru butter against the Cardinals…game manager and protecting the ball, all they have been asking of Pickett.

Pickett runs out and gets surgery for the team so he can get back as quickly as possible.

The change in attitude….Tomlin still thinks it was QB play and not Canada…now he is having the debate in his head…I knew it wasn’t Canada… MY BOY BLUE!!!!! He is a dodo bird of the highest order.

Now Mitch the cowboy takes over at the one yard line and completely shits the bed with the offense and treats the ball and possessions like water and oxygen. Turnovers galore.

Tomlin now has Mitch and Canada mud in his face! He is forced to use Rudolph a few games later.

So now Tomlin puts in Rudolph and he has a very similar offensive explosion as Pickett’s against the same Cincy team and now Tomlin has decided all along that it was the QB play!

Do you see the change here! He just kneecapped his number one draft pick prematurely because his ego was bruised over, one, Canada and two, his shitty evaluation of Mitch over Rudolph!

This is the coach that never let a starter lose their spot to injury! He has said that a zillion times!

Rudolph has another game manager game! He made some nice throws Sunday. I don’t know that Pickett makes the finger tip throw to Pickens Sunday…but he has made some nice throws as well, especially with a good running game. Keep your eye on Tomlin’s decision and why!

They wanted Pickett to be a game manager, they got it, then they fired Canada and it seemed everyone was taking a leap in the newer offense under Sullivan and Faulkner! Then Tomlin at the most important point in Pickett’s evaluation totally kneecaps Pickett because he is still fucking smarting about getting forced to fire Canada, and then Mitch blows up for the second year in a row and Tomlin decides to obfuscate the whole decision tree with Rudolph!

If you guys think there is that much difference between Rudolph and Pickett at this point I have a bridge to sell you!

This is about now. This is about NHALS. This is about obfuscation of recent major decisions! A big ole fat Tomlin CYA!

Let hear all you defend Tomlin now? Oh how the turn tables! I just don’t see that much of a difference in the play between Rudolph and Pickett to pull the plug on the evaluation when everyone with a pulse knows it was Canada the whole time.

God this is tiresome. He had five drives against the Cards. Two were three and out. One picked up a single first down and then stalled.

He had two good drives and would’ve scored if he hit the obvious college level throw to CA. He didn’t which is why it was fourth down at the 1.

Pickett’s “hot knife through butter” was actually rather mid.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:45 pm

CKSteeler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:41 pm
swissvale72 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:34 pm
Ben tells a different story. I know people like to dismiss things Ben says, but according to him he got the starting job and blew Ben's advice off. Which tracks with the actual history of their relationship because while Ben was annoyed at the draft selection, it wasn't until Mason publicly said he didn't expect or need Ben to mentor him that Ben seemed to have any issue with him. Ben had no problem with the other QB's taken in the mid-rounds by the team. A few draft selections separate Mason from Dobbs who was close with Ben.

Does that make Mason a bad guy? No. But he has spent the last few years taking passive aggressive shots through the media at the team's former franchise QB. And we all know he's doing it. So maybe he's not as "humble" as people think. And then going into last off-season, he was clearly done with the team before he realized NO ONE ELSE wanted his ass to even be a third string QB.

Good for him for not quitting and taking his ball home. And he's played well the last two weeks. But the perception of him is that he's some sort of saint as if he's really had much choice but to accept the role he's in.
Once Ben punches his ticket to Canton (provided the media doesn't stall that out because of spite) I do hope he writes a tell-all.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:45 pm

jeemie wrote:

Don't get me wrong...Mason did not show in the past he could play like this, except in flashes.

BUT...the reports from observers during training camp/preseason 2022 was that Rudolph clearly outplayed both Pickett and Trubisky (my own untrained observations were that Trubisky was the WORST QB in preseason that year) but Trubisky was handed the job anyway.

And Mason then rotted on the bench last year, and then this year when it was CLEAR Mitch couldn't even play QB at a minimal functional level.

Maybe Tomlin believes what Jussie Garrett accused Mason of saying?

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:45 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

God this is tiresome. He had five drives against the Cards. Two were three and out. One picked up a single first down and then stalled.

He had two good drives and would’ve scored if he hit the obvious college level throw to CA. He didn’t which is why it was fourth down at the 1.

Some of the same know-it-all pretend GMs who were actually claiming that Mitch Trashbisky would be an upgrade over KP8 are now all aboard the Rudolph express. Oh the power of hindsight. And agendas…

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:47 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:35 pm
Gets more interesting if you believe Mark Madden.

Pickett was medically cleared this past week, but according to Madden, he refused to be the backup, which is why he was made inactive.

IMG_2834.jpeg

I don’t know what to believe, but if this is true, Pickett’s days may actually be numbered.

Here’s hoping it’s Madden being full of shit, as usual.
I hope Madden is accurate. KP will be gone if so.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:48 pm

Stillchest wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:45 pm
jeemie wrote:

That's the rumor I heard. I believe I posted about it here.

Now interestingly, in public Tomlin defended Mason reasonably vigorously...stated that no one...not even Garrett's teammates who were on the field at the time...corroborated Garrett's story that Mason called him a racial slur.

But maybe that was him doing his duty and in reality he does believe it.

And TBH, for all we know, Mason did use the slur (although again no one ever did corroborate the story).

But his dislike for Mason seems to go beyond skill evaluation.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:49 pm

Smashmouth21 wrote:
zeke5123 wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Some of the same know-it-all pretend GMs who were actually claiming that Mitch Trashbisky would be an upgrade over KP8 are now all aboard the Rudolph express. Oh the power of hindsight. And agendas…
I don't recall anyone on these boards liking the Trubisky signing.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:54 pm

jebrick wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:39 pm
To me, this goes to the question on the Steelers not having confidence in KP. If that is so then is QB in play for the draft?

I don't see how they don't draft or sign/trade for a QB who will be given an opportunity to be our starter.

Mitch will undoubtedly be cut given his cap figure and his benching as our backup. It'll create some dead money but nothing really too much of an issue.

Mason is a UFA this offseason. Maybe he sticks around, maybe he doesn't. He was the best performing QB at Latrobe in 2022 and they handed Mitch the starting job and handed the backup job to boy wonder. And this year they never gave him a chance. Tomlin completely botched the QB room in two straight seasons. Why should Mason give him a third if he has any other decent opportunity elsewhere?

And look, Kenny Pickett's index finger looks like most pinky fingers. He essentially has four pinky fingers and a messed up thumb on each hand. How can you trust someone with hands jacked up like that? I've read rumors of two different occasions where players have accused Pickett of pickpocketing money off of them. A reputable source also reported that he has dirty nails as well FWIW. Is this who you want leading our team? Going into next season with the idea of being comfortable with Pickett as our likely starter is pure insanity.

Maybe that doesn't mean we use a first round pick on a QB. Maybe that means we trade for someone. Maybe that means we use a second or third round pick on a guy who will undoubtedly be more talented than the lil ken. But it means we're going to do something, and it's going to be more than bringing back Mason and Kenny and letting them duke it out for the king of flaccid.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:57 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:49 pm
Smashmouth21 wrote:
zeke5123 wrote:

I’m talking about the parades that were thrown around here when KP8 went down. Mitch would be so much better…

:lol:

There were a few that correctly noted Mitch would be a disaster (KC comes to mind). But not the BLs. Now those same blowhards blame Tomlin for not going to Rudolph fast enough. It’s just so predictable.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:58 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Totally agreed....there were 3 points on the board against AZ

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:01 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:48 pm
Stillchest wrote:
jeemie wrote:

Now interestingly, in public Tomlin defended Mason reasonably vigorously...stated that no one...not even Garrett's teammates who were on the field at the time...corroborated Garrett's story that Mason called him a racial slur.

And TBH, for all we know, Mason did use the slur (although again no one ever did corroborate the story).

Yeah, I think that was Tomlin’s attempt to diffuse the potential PR nightmare.

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:54 pm
jebrick wrote:
To me, this goes to the question on the Steelers not having confidence in KP. If that is so then is QB in play for the draft?

I don't see how they don't draft or sign/trade for a QB who will be given an opportunity to be our starter.

Mitch will undoubtedly be cut given his cap figure and his benching as our backup. It'll create some dead money but nothing really too much of an issue.

Mason is a UFA this offseason. Maybe he sticks around, maybe he doesn't. He was the best performing QB at Latrobe in 2022 and they handed Mitch the starting job and handed the backup job to boy wonder. And this year they never gave him a chance. Tomlin completely botched the QB room in two straight seasons. Why should Mason give him a third if he has any other decent opportunity elsewhere?

And look, Kenny Pickett's index finger looks like most pinky fingers. He essentially has four pinky fingers and a messed up thumb on each hand. How can you trust someone with hands jacked up like that? I've read rumors of two different occasions where players have accused Pickett of pickpocketing money off of them. A reputable source also reported that he has dirty nails as well FWIW. Is this who you want leading our team? Going into next season with the idea of being comfortable with Pickett as our likely starter is pure insanity.

Maybe that doesn't mean we use a first round pick on a QB. Maybe that means we trade for someone. Maybe that means we use a second or third round pick on a guy who will undoubtedly be more talented than the lil ken. But it means we're going to do something, and it's going to be more than bringing back Mason and Kenny and letting them duke it out for the king of flaccid.
Mason should have no confidence he'll get a fair shot at the starting job given the history.

That's why it's entirely possible that the team has to franchise him if he continues to play well. I think the whole thing comes crashing down at some point, but maybe it's not this season or he wins a playoff game let's say. The team would have no choice but to bring him back...at all costs.

Even if no other team offered Mason a clean shot at a starting gig, Mason may not want to come back but the Steelers may NEED him back.

And that shit would be hysterical.

CKSteeler

Post by CKSteeler » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:07 pm

Stillchest wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:01 pm
jeemie wrote:
Stillchest wrote:

Yeah, I think that was Tomlin’s attempt to diffuse the potential PR nightmare.
If this was the case, I don't think Tomlin puts Rudolph back on the field that season. It's possible at some point between then and now Tomlin spoke to Garrett and found his story more convincing, but isn't sure. The FO is like who cares and Tomlin just can't shake it.

But we are all speculating trying to fill in the blanks. The reality is that Mason had a shot at the starting gig, sucked, and then had several pre-seasons where he sucked in between then and 2022. I think it's just entirely possible Tomlin felt he had seen enough of the guy by then to where it didn't matter if he marginally outplayed Trubisky or Pickett in limited training camp reps where he had the advantage of knowing the offense.

Rudolph, in Tomlin's eyes, was a known quantity in 2022. This year? I think Tomlin had to be drunk to think Trubisky was a better option. I can understand it last year.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:22 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

You act like we are getting Pickett to prime Brady with Mason. It was his second game after fucking Canada left…nobody is saying he was perfect or not still making mistakes. He moved them right down the field.

First drive he went from the 25 to the 15 in 3 plays with 2 passes two Pickens and a bigger run with Harris. Looks an awful lot like Rudolph Zeke. Then a drop and tipped pass.

Your comments are the tiring ones! Go watch the fricken game again!

Second drive decent run from Harris. Then nobody open then imagine this a bad snap ruins the drive when it rolls back to Pickett! That was all on Pickett. If we make the playoffs a rolled snap will cause the loss BTW.

3rd and 4th drive nothing.

5th drive, 1st drive of the second quarter from the 20 with 12:44 in the half….takes it to the one in 8 minutes. Tell me that didn’t make Tomlin cream except for the injury….drive had penalties too. It was a great drive.

Pickett looks exactly like Rudolph!

You are defending Tomlin for picking the 8 year veteran Rudolph over the evaluation and development of your 1st round pick in Pickett!

Tomlin just fucked the team for not playing Rudolph…defend away!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:24 pm

Smashmouth21 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:57 pm
jeemie wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:

I’m talking about the parades that were thrown around here when KP8 went down. Mitch would be so much better…

There were a few that correctly noted Mitch would be a disaster (KC comes to mind). But not the BLs. Now those same blowhards blame Tomlin for not going to Rudolph fast enough. It’s just so predictable.
Several people told me that Rudolph deserved to be the #3 QB behind Mitch Trubisky.

I'm not kidding.

Said Mason and Mitch were interchangeable. Both sucked.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:58 pm
zeke5123 wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Totally agreed....there were 3 points on the board against AZ
Go back and watch the damn game! It looks exactly like Pickens’ and Rudolph’s last 2 games for Christ sake!

Defend away at Tomlin!

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:29 pm

Smashmouth21 wrote:
jeemie wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:

Because some are looking at the short term picture and not the long term picture. This decision just fucked the team because Tomlin’s still pissed about Canada and doesn’t want to admit he fucked up with the evaluation of Mitch and decided to bench Pickett who looks exactly like Rudolph in the Cardinals game and made Pickens look exactly like Pickens in his last 2 games too. Go watch the game.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:37 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:29 pm
Smashmouth21 wrote:
jeemie wrote:

Because some are looking at the short term picture and not the long term picture. This decision just fucked the team because Tomlin’s still pissed about Canada and doesn’t want to admit he fucked up with the evaluation of Mitch and decided to bench Pickett who looks exactly like Rudolph in the Cardinals game and made Pickens look exactly like Pickens in his last 2 games too. Go watch the game.
I don't doubt he's pissed about the Canada decision...especially if he was told by Rooney to get rid of him, and the rumors are true he will have to pick from a list of candidates pre-approved by Rooney/Khan/whoever.

And I agree Rudolph is no stud, and stats-wise, Pickett and Rudolph are not that much different post-Canada (small sample sizes, I know).

But sorry...the differences are starker than you think...Rudolph commands the huddle and does the QB things that Kenny simply does not do.

Maybe with really competent QB coaching, Pickett could learn to do these things.

But despite four fewer years in the NFL, Kenny is only two years younger than Rudolph.

I don't see him improving all that much going forward.

We need a new QB and if I'm looking for a bridge QB, Mason in my mind gets the nod over Kenny (a paper bag full of dogshit would get the nod over Mitch).

And again, let this be a learning experience for what happens to a team when the QB decision is fucked up by the coaches/FO.
Last edited by jeemie on Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:38 pm

jeemie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:40 pm
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Results-wise I agree there is not much difference between Rudolph and Pickett when you take Canada out of the equation. And that Mitch is horrendous either with or without Canada.

BUT- sorry, Mason is getting his results by providing actual QB leadership and doing actual QB things (going through progressions, making the right choice and getting the ball out on time). Kenny was still one read and bail...whenever you see Kenny moving his eyes, he's almost always not looking at second and third reads...he's trying to move DBs off his primary read.

The defenses we faced (Cincinnati and Seattle) were bad enough (Cincy against the pass and Seattle against the run) that likely both Kenny and Mason could succeed against them.

Against tougher defenses, a QB that can do QB things is likely going to have more success than a one read and bail QB.

This is my take.

The last takes:

Pickens, for sure, and I believe others, stated Mason throws a more "catchable" ball...meaning easier to catch and can do more things like getting YAC from Mason's passes than Kenny's.

I believe the OL is playing more confidently because Mason stays in the pocket like he's supposed to. This is speculation on my part, but if you were an O-lineman, who would you instinctively hold your blocks for better...a QB that's going to stand tall in the pocket looking to deliver the ball downfield, or the QB who's going to bail from the pocket at the slightest hint of pressure?

PS You are correct, however. I now know what I think of Kenny so it's not too early for me for the evaluation to be over...but Tomlin's behavior is going to make it difficult to salvage Kenny's career here, so if he COULD have become a little better with competent offensive coaching, we are likely not going to learn that here.
You might need to go back and watch the Cardinals game 1st half…it looks exactly the same as what Rudolph has been doing. Pickens is getting big chunks too!

I am fine with Rudolph playing and enjoyed the last 2 games, but that was under the assumption that Pickett would start when he was cleared.

Tomlin most likely just ruined the whole evaluation and this will set us back 2-3 more draft cycles. He needs to go!

This is all about being pissed at Canada’s firing!

If you take Pickett’s last two games without Canada and compare them to Rudolph’s last 2 they will look identical.

Pickett was also plowing the roads for the team with Canada’s shit show.

Rudolph has to be playing like an All-Pro to give up on Pickett. You can give up on Pickett next year, but not after just firing Canada. It is just a Bush League decision in my opinion.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:43 pm

Pickett was not reading defenses any better against the Bengals and Cards than he was against teams while Canada was still there.

He simply was not.

Cincy I credit Faulkner and Sullivan for game planning so that Pickett's primary reads were getting open consistently.

I can point out the plays like the bomb to Pickens under tremendous pressure, the game-sealing slant to Pickens, and in the second Cincy game a little outlet pass to Warren that broke for big yards...and confidently tell you Kenny Pickett is NOT making those plays because two of them required getting through a couple progressions rapid fire and one of them required standing tall in a collapsing pocket.

It's those types of plays that Mason is making with regularity that Kenny was not- even post-Canada.

I have watched those games again.

PS We were set back two draft cycles by signing Trubisky and reaching for Pickett in the first place. Tomlin may actually have cut some time OFF the cycle with what he has done this year.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:46 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:38 pm
You might need to go back and watch the Cardinals game 1st half…it looks exactly the same as what Rudolph has been doing. Pickens is getting big chunks too!

I am fine with Rudolph playing and enjoyed the last 2 games, but that was under the assumption that Pickett would start when he was cleared.

Tomlin most likely just ruined the whole evaluation and this will set us back 2-3 more draft cycles. He needs to go!

This is all about being pissed at Canada’s firing!

If you take Pickett’s last two games without Canada and compare them to Rudolph’s last 2 they will look identical.

Pickett was also plowing the roads for the team with Canada’s shit show.

Rudolph has to be playing like an All-Pro to give up on Pickett. You can give up on Pickett next year, but not after just firing Canada. It is just a Bush League decision in my opinion.
Dude they aren't going to give up on Pickett, no matter the dumb shit you read here.

Tomlin is doing the right thing. He's riding the hot hand. Mason is a 6th year veteran who was known to be one helluva passer at Oklahoma State.

Dude can sling it and you can tell Mason simply doesn't give a fuck anymore. He has nothing to lose and it's working out great.

If he keeps winning, retaining Mason is going to be very, very difficult. He will have plenty of offers on the table after this season and I'll FUCKIN GUARANTEE YOU he won't be giving the Steelers any hometown discounts after the way he's been treated. Would you after sitting behind Mitch Fucking Trubisky? Fuck no you wouldn't and neither will Mason.

He'll go to the best situation for the best money and I believe 100% that isn't going to be Pittsburgh.

Kenny will be the starter again next season and I hope Kenny is watching Mason closely. Mason is playing with confidence and isn't afraid to make a mistake. Mason is behaving like a leader.

Kenny has no fire and is way too afraid of fucking up. Tomlin has removed his balls. Kenny is very talented and needs to play like it next season when he resumes as the starter. If somehow Mason returns and Kenny is behind Mason, embrace that role and fucking be ready when your number is called.

....because it will be called.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:07 am

Stillchest wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:06 pm
W&M_Steeler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:05 pm
jeemie wrote:
Why? I hope it's true. If KP pouts his way out of town this off-season, maybe the Steelers can get a real QB.
I agree.

Also, I think they have one now.
It greatly increases their chances of resigning Rudolph, if Pickett is gone

chippedhamsandwich

Post by chippedhamsandwich » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:29 am

Mason could have a “NICK FOLES” run, that would be amazing..

Remember what happened to Wentz, dude went from potential MVP candidate to out of the league in no time.

I was at the game yesterday in Seattle, amazing experience and the offense in person just seemed to be clicking.

Watched the game today, Mason’s arm/accuracy is already better than Pickett and LIGHT YEARS ahead of TRUBINSKY.

Minkah needs to be back, this could work…

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:29 am

Stillchest wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:06 pm
W&M_Steeler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:05 pm
jeemie wrote:
Why? I hope it's true. If KP pouts his way out of town this off-season, maybe the Steelers can get a real QB.
I agree.

Also, I think they have one now.
Finkle is Einhorn; Einhorn is Finkle!

Pickett is Rudolph; Rudolph is Pickett

Pickett is Rudolph; Rudolph is Pickett
IMG_0356.gif
IMG_0356.gif (570.96 KiB) Viewed 248 times
IMG_0357.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 248 times

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:33 am

chippedhamsandwich wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:29 am
Mason could have a “NICK FOLES” run, that would be amazing..

Remember what happened to Wentz, dude went from potential MVP candidate to out of the league in no time.

I was at the game yesterday in Seattle, amazing experience and the offense in person just seemed to be clicking.

Watched the game today, Mason’s arm/accuracy is already better than Pickett and LIGHT YEARS ahead of TRUBINSKY.

Minkah needs to be back, this could work…
2 playoffs probably missed because of doing the same thing over with Mitch.

I thought the same thing but with Pickett too and Rudolph. What if Pickett is a gamer and Mr. January or Rudolph two. But we went with Mitch twice and missed 2 playoff opportunities.

If we get in the playoffs I predict a holy roller from Mason Cole to lose the game!

R_S

Post by R_S » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:27 am

CKSteeler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm
tbsteel wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:54 pm
jebrick wrote:

Mason should have no confidence he'll get a fair shot at the starting job given the history.

That's why it's entirely possible that the team has to franchise him if he continues to play well. I think the whole thing comes crashing down at some point, but maybe it's not this season or he wins a playoff game let's say. The team would have no choice but to bring him back...at all costs.

Even if no other team offered Mason a clean shot at a starting gig, Mason may not want to come back but the Steelers may NEED him back.

And that shit would be hysterical.
It would take nothing short of a Super Bowl appearance and a good showing there for him to get a franchise tag. Crazy talk

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:30 am

jeemie wrote:
Stillchest wrote:
jeemie wrote:

That's such horse shit. The only racist in that incident is Garrett. Fuck that piece of shit. There is NO FUCKING WAY Garrett would have been the only person to hear that. It's not like Mason was whispering in his ear. Secondly, do you think for one second Tomlin let's them resign Rudolph if he really believed that? His contract was up. There's no reason to keep him at that point even if Tomlin was too big a pussy to admit he believed that racist's comments. Even considering this is a slap in the face to every Steeler on the field that defended Rudolph, especially Pouncey who's actions were my favorite moment of his career. Just a shame the racist's helmet was still on while Pouncey was kicking him. Just reading that ridiculous fake news makes my blood boil. Nothing personal against any of the posters here that posted it though.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic