Kenny Will Return as QB1 but Compete

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
DumlinBumlinStumlin

Kenny Will Return as QB1 but Compete

Post by DumlinBumlinStumlin » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:26 pm

Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly
Tomlin said Kenny Pickett will return as the QB1 but will definitely have competition. They want Rudolph to provide that but "he's a free agent."

12:10 PM · Jan 18, 2024
·
Views

Tomlin PC 1/2/19 -"Change is a part of it, I don't run away from that. My staff doesn't run away from that. I'm acknowledging that change is a part of what we're doing."

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:27 pm

Sounds like Mason is moving on.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:29 pm

As long as we're acknowledging that Mitch ain't it.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

DumlinBumlinStumlin

Post by DumlinBumlinStumlin » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:29 pm

Tomlin noted in his interview that he would like Mason Rudolph to compete with Pickett for the Steelers’ QB1 job, but also pointed out that Rudolph is a free agent this offseason. The Steelers will likely make a push to re-sign Rudolph, but there’s no guarantee he will return to the team. With that said, a return to the Steelers in 2024 would be wise, as Rudolph played over a healthy Pickett in the AFC Wild Card loss to the Bills and has already received endorsements from several Steelers players, including wide receiver Diontae Johnson. Pickett has struggled in his first two seasons as a starter, throwing for 4,74-13-13 in 25 career games. Any legitimate competition between Pickett and another vet would likely result in Pickett opening Week 1 as the QB2 on the depth chart, but we are a long way from seeing how everything plays out. Whether Tomlin admits it or not, the Steelers are in quarterback purgatory until they find a way out of it.
NBCsports slant
Tomlin PC 1/2/19 -"Change is a part of it, I don't run away from that. My staff doesn't run away from that. I'm acknowledging that change is a part of what we're doing."

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:38 pm

If I'm Mason I've already got my agent making moves and my bags are packed.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Biggest news out of that snoozer of a presser was that they will hire an outside OC

Mason_Almighty

Post by Mason_Almighty » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:41 pm

Tomlin just said that "We want to continue doing business w/ Mason"

DumlinBumlinStumlin

Post by DumlinBumlinStumlin » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:42 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:39 pm
Biggest news out of that snoozer of a presser was that they will hire an outside OC
yep, i added that blub in the OC thread. Sounded resigned that he has to or else

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:49 pm

The combo of Tomlin and Kenny is a killer. Tomlin needs a star QB or at minimum a proven vet winner to overcome his poor strategy/tactics and OC incompetence. Kenny needs a star OC like Ben Johnson to scheme it up for him like he has for Goff. In theory Tomlin could solve this by hiring a star OC, but the second those guys are discovered they become HCs, so not gonna happen unless Tomlin takes a non Tomlin style risk and hires a QB coach or pass/run game coordinator from the Shanahan tree.

The two together can't get past second gear. Same goes for Mason.

So, with the Kenny comment in mind, either/or
- Add a QB with physical gifts in R1/2 in the upcoming draft or sign a proven vet like Cousins/Mayfield
- Go out of the Tomlin box with a young gun, mostly unproven OC

Kenny + Mason + 6th round flier in the draft + retread OC = . . . well, you know

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 pm

Excited about new OC.

Hopefully Mason returns and he and KP8 battle it out.

Good luck to whoever wins but if neither show enough, get your QB very early in the 2025 draft.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:06 pm

Mason Rudolph profiles as everything the Steelers could hope for in a backup QB right now.

He’s responded well to adversity, his teammates like him, and he’s helped the team make the playoffs.

Anyone on this team now will always step up to fight alongside of him. There's no such thing as a “meaningless game” if he is lining up behind center.

Hope he sees his future the same way and wants more time in Pittsburgh.

langer

Post by langer » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:53 pm

Shouldn't this have been done prior to last season???

Yet another in a long list of Coach Mike methodologies of coaching. Can't wait til he writes a book. Does he know how to read?
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:58 pm

Steel Bingo wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:06 pm
Mason Rudolph profiles as everything the Steelers could hope for in a backup QB right now.

He’s responded well to adversity, his teammates like him, and he’s helped the team make the playoffs.

Anyone on this team now will always step up to fight alongside of him. There's no such thing as a “meaningless game” if he is lining up behind center.

I like this post

But

In weighing his options, first thing that should come to Mason’s mind is “They want me to compete with Pickett? Didn’t I just prove I’m WAY better than that guy?”

Then

He’ll chuckle and get overpaid to go play for another quarterback desperate team.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:06 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Translation…Tomlin was ordered to do so because Art II realizes the fanbase would be coming with torches and pitchforks if he promoted from within again.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:24 pm

lifelongsteel wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:49 pm
The combo of Tomlin and _______ is a killer.
Fixed for you, as they say on the webs ;)

langer

Post by langer » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:29 pm

Well, Coach decided that he wanted to bring back Canny even with all the mess he caused.

Maybe someone decided he's incapable of making decisions other than to blow kisses to the camera and pound his chest.

And ping pong tables.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:38 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 pm
Excited about new OC.

Good luck to whoever wins but if neither show enough, get your QB very early in the 2025 draft.
Will you be excited if the OC is Byron Leftwich. Jibbs wants Yes men. He will never bring in someone who's smarter than himself and could challenge him. Tomlin will have his outdated footprints on the O.

Dunce needs to tell Jibbs not to interfere with the new OC IF he is a bright OC.
Obliteration Is Imminent

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:48 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:58 pm
Steel Bingo wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:06 pm

I like this post

But

In weighing his options, first thing that should come to Mason’s mind is “They want me to compete with Pickett? Didn’t I just prove I’m WAY better than that guy?”

Then

He’ll chuckle and get overpaid to go play for another quarterback desperate team.
I agree…if he gets he offers.

But I see it this way. No, Mason is not “the guy”, but I think if we hired someone from the Lions’ staff and implemented a Lions-style offense, Mason could have a resurgence that would make him as good as Jared Goff.

And that would be a nice bridge while we try to find the next “guy”.

What bothers me about this is we reached for Kenny by mistake, because Tomlin made the misguided assumption that we needed a “mobile QB” to make Canada’s offense work. Why we picked up Mitch as well.

This was a mistake. Kenny was hobbled by Canada, but a lot of his faults are not something any coaching is going to fix.

The thing to do when you make a mistake is to ADMIT IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Letting Kenny stay to compete as QB1* is not admitting you made a mistake.

The longer you wait to fix the most important position on the team…the harder it will be to fix it.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:50 pm

jeemie wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:06 pm
Steelperch wrote:
Translation…Tomlin was ordered to do so because Art II realizes the fanbase would be coming with torches and pitchforks if he promoted from within again.
Yep. Ownership has spoken. No more Tomlin buddy buddy hires. Thank god.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:11 pm

franco>madden wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:24 pm
lifelongsteel wrote:
The combo of Tomlin and _______ is a killer.
Fixed for you, as they say on the webs ;)
Ha Ha. There's some truth to that. But, put Josh Allen on the Steelers this season and they would have a great chance to win it all, even with Tomlin and his band of yes men.

Lack of a QB exposes your weaknesses. a Great QB hides them. See Tomlin + Big Ben

franco32

Post by franco32 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:15 pm

It sounded to me like they will be scouting QBs in the draft. Now they aren't going to trade up. (Forget that pipe dream...this team has way too many holes.).

But could they take a 2nd round flier on someone like Bo Nix? Maybe.

punum123

Post by punum123 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:34 pm

the-other-burg wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:38 pm
If I'm Mason I've already got my agent making moves and my bags are packed.
Why did Tomlin feel the need to even comment on it at this point in time?!?

punum123

Post by punum123 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:36 pm

lifelongsteel wrote:
The combo of Tomlin and Kenny is a killer. Tomlin needs a star QB or at minimum a proven vet winner to overcome his poor strategy/tactics and OC incompetence. Kenny needs a star OC like Ben Johnson to scheme it up for him like he has for Goff. In theory Tomlin could solve this by hiring a star OC, but the second those guys are discovered they become HCs, so not gonna happen unless Tomlin takes a non Tomlin style risk and hires a QB coach or pass/run game coordinator from the Shanahan tree.

The two together can't get past second gear. Same goes for Mason.

So, with the Kenny comment in mind, either/or
- Add a QB with physical gifts in R1/2 in the upcoming draft or sign a proven vet like Cousins/Mayfield
- Go out of the Tomlin box with a young gun, mostly unproven OC

Kenny + Mason + 6th round flier in the draft + retread OC = . . . well, you know
Yep...deadly combination indeed....

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:52 pm

langer wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:53 pm
Shouldn't this have been done prior to last season???

Yet another in a long list of Coach Mike methodologies of coaching. Can't wait til he writes a book. Does he know how to read?
That book will be 800 pages long, yet say absolutely nothing.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:36 pm

gojira5150 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:38 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 pm
Excited about new OC.

Will you be excited if the OC is Byron Leftwich. Jibbs wants Yes men. He will never bring in someone who's smarter than himself and could challenge him. Tomlin will have his outdated footprints on the O.

Dunce needs to tell Jibbs not to interfere with the new OC IF he is a bright OC.
Let's see who the OC actually becomes before we hand Leftwich the keys.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:30 am

get ready for Pep Hamilton

Post by 955876 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:35 am

Sure he will “compete”. I totally believe that.

Not.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

langer

Post by langer » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:33 am

Tomlin is a lying sack of shit.

A good bet is that there is no competition.

langer

Post by langer » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:37 am

Tomlins audience in a nutshell.

Not capable of logical thinking.

How bout Tomlin doesn’t do anything but cheerlead and the other guys do all the work?

Good grief.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic