A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:02 am

https://youtu.be/2HgNcE2wtr0?si=pLI7VqzwjaWU0eC-
Wish the quality was better. This was one of my favorite teams. It's amazing Trumpy got on my fucking nerves watching this today as he did 35 years ago. Oilers had a loaded team.

W&M_Steeler

Post by W&M_Steeler » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:16 am

This is the oldest Steelers game I can remember watching. I was 7 years old.

langer

Post by langer » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:02 am

I learned from my Dad what a jerkoff Bob Trumpy was. Always against the Steelers.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:25 am

Thanks for posting this. THAT was one of my fave games of all time.

I jumped backwards over the coach when Anderson hit the game-winner

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:47 am

My favorite non-super bowl game. Happy New Year!
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:54 pm

Look at those beautiful uniforms.

Man, I really miss the block numbers. Those slanted numbers they use now are garbage. Fuck you, Art 2.

I miss the Oilers also. Loved their uniforms and loved the rivalry.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

CoolShades

Post by CoolShades » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:56 pm

langer wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:02 am
I learned from my Dad what a jerkoff Bob Trumpy was. Always against the Steelers.
Trumpy was terrible. He was an angry, old Bengals tight end. He HATED the Steelers and couldn’t hide it.
Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:01 pm

CoolShades wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:56 pm
langer wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:02 am
Trumpy was terrible. He was an angry, old Bengals tight end. He HATED the Steelers and couldn’t hide it.
How I feel about Collinsworth.

pickarooney

Post by pickarooney » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:19 pm

What a nice surprise...was sure this was going to be about the Taylor Swift album. :lol:

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:51 pm

I was a junior in college and most of us were still under 21. This game was on new years eve and we rented adjoining hotel rooms at a red roof inn I think in Bridgeville since we couldn't all get into bars.

What an absolute blast. When Anderson made that kick a girl there swung her arms and punched me right in the face. :lol:

Shame they couldn't get by Denver the next week.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:06 pm

Baltostiller wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:51 pm
I was a junior in college and most of us were still under 21. This game was on new years eve and we rented adjoining hotel rooms at a red roof inn I think in Bridgeville since we couldn't all get into bars.

What an absolute blast. When Anderson made that kick a girl there swung her arms and punched me right in the face. :lol:

Shame they couldn't get by Denver the next week.
So long ago....my daughter, now 34, had just had her christening the day before....so it was a HUGE fuckin' weekend. The next week...the Mark Fuckin' Stock game....soo fuckin' close to beating Denver and going to Cleveland, of all places, for the AFCCG. I still have angst about that game.

BouldernBun

Post by BouldernBun » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:22 pm

That was the 1st Steelers game my then girlfriend (now my wife of 31 years) and her boys ever watched with me. After seeing me jump up, scream at the top of my lungs and dance on the coffee table at games end I am surprized all three of them didn't get up and run off in the opposite direction! :lol: Good times..

franco32

Post by franco32 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:54 pm

Damn I remember that game well. It's hilarious watching Louis Lipps and Stock run a pick route after Stock goes in motion (at the 19:35 mark). We can't even run those routes 35 years later LMAO

Chuck Noll could win road playoff games with a pretty low talent team overall and BRISTER at QB. NHALS wouldn't have come close to winning that game.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:20 pm

It was sad seeing Noll winning his last playoff game. Weird how he was only 57, looked so much older. I am so glad I got to watch the end of what used to be a great sport.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:05 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:02 am
https://youtu.be/2HgNcE2wtr0?si=pLI7VqzwjaWU0eC-
Wish the quality was better. This was one of my favorite teams. It's amazing Trumpy got on my fucking nerves watching this today as he did 35 years ago. Oilers had a loaded team.
One great game. One of the great clutch kicks in Steeler's history and Woodson shows u why he is so fondly remembered! Noll was a great game manager and clock watcher..lol..fiery on the sidelines leading that team to eventual victory. That D intimidated..too bad thats not allowed anymore.

Hoge was a beast in this game..that team was full of fun and likable characters

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:35 am

If the networks were filming that game now they'd show Taylor Swift in the stands as an infant.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:13 am

franco32 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:54 pm
Damn I remember that game well. It's hilarious watching Louis Lipps and Stock run a pick route after Stock goes in motion (at the 19:35 mark). We can't even run those routes 35 years later LMAO

Chuck Noll could win road playoff games with a pretty low talent team overall and BRISTER at QB. NHALS wouldn't have come close to winning that game.
Noll...4-6 in road playoff games, not bad really. Cowher was 3-3 after an 0-3 start, SB road warriors of '05. Tomlin is 2-5.

Sir Lambert

Post by Sir Lambert » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:44 am

Do the Super Bowls count as "road games?"
“ But Brian was the quarterback. He lay on the ground like a sniper had shot him, so they threw me out. It’s big entertainment now, protect the quarterback, $200 to your favorite charity.”

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:18 am

Sir Lambert wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:44 am
The 1st 3, I would say neutral field. 79 was in Pasadena, I would say road game for that one.

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:35 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:18 am
Sir Lambert wrote:
The 1st 3, I would say neutral field. 79 was in Pasadena, I would say road game for that one.
Perhaps SB XIV could be considered a road game because of the west coast location, but I was there, and the Terrible Tahls were EVERYWHERE at the Rose Bowl. LA fans were more loyal to their teams back then and commentators expected it to be like a "home game" for the Rams, but the crowd of 100,000+ was at least 50% or more black & gold.

When Stallworth hauled in that late long bomb from Bradshaw, he ran right towards my end zone seat -- Our whole section was Steeler fans and we all went berserk :lol: :lol:

PS. Earlier before the game, I rode my moped through the parking gates for free, locked it to the fence next to the main south entrance, and bought my ticket from a scalper for $10 as the National Anthem began ... Man, those were the days ;)

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:06 pm

Watched the replay, and wow, Rod Woodson was a very aggressive tackler. He was coming to knock something loose. Football, equipment, teeth, anything.

BouldernBun

Post by BouldernBun » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:42 pm

franco>madden wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:35 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sir Lambert wrote:
Perhaps SB XIV could be considered a road game because of the west coast location, but I was there, and the Terrible Tahls were EVERYWHERE at the Rose Bowl. LA fans were more loyal to their teams back then and commentators expected it to be like a "home game" for the Rams, but the crowd of 100,000+ was at least 50% or more black & gold.

When Stallworth hauled in that late long bomb from Bradshaw, he ran right towards my end zone seat -- Our whole section was Steeler fans and we all went berserk :lol: :lol:

PS. Earlier before the game, I rode my moped through the parking gates for free, locked it to the fence next to the main south entrance, and bought my ticket from a scalper for $10 as the National Anthem began ... Man, those were the days ;)
I was sitting right there in the same end zone and watching that play unfold was a beautiful thing!

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:46 pm

BouldernBun wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:42 pm
franco>madden wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:35 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

I was sitting right there in the same end zone and watching that play unfold was a beautiful thing!
I was also in the end zone. Great time.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:49 pm

Changing the subject a bit, I was in the endzone BEHIND the immaculate reception…middle of the endzone, upper deck, first row.

BUT…gotta admit, I didn’t know what the fuck happened ‘til my brother was grabbing me, shouting “he’s got it, he’s got it!!” And I looked to my left to see Franco sprinting down the sideline. Absolute fuckin’ pandemonium ensured…followed by silence as the referee, who hadn’t signaled anything, went to the dugout. THEN, trotted to misfield, faced the Steelers sideline, signaled touchdown. Pandemonium ensued again!! I looked to my right…John madden was having a tantrum, waving his fat arms!!

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:48 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:49 pm
Changing the subject a bit, I was in the endzone BEHIND the immaculate reception…middle of the endzone, upper deck, first row.

BUT…gotta admit, I didn’t know what the fuck happened ‘til my brother was grabbing me, shouting “he’s got it, he’s got it!!” And I looked to my left to see Franco sprinting down the sideline. Absolute fuckin’ pandemonium ensured…followed by silence as the referee, who hadn’t signaled anything, went to the dugout. THEN, trotted to misfield, faced the Steelers sideline, signaled touchdown. Pandemonium ensued again!! I looked to my right…John madden was having a tantrum, waving his fat arms!!

Hahahhaah so much awesomeness in this moment. Must have been so unbelievable to witness this.

I know we’ve spoken about the sheer level of pandemonium that ensued rivaling Troy’s pick six against Flacco in the AFCCG.

At least I got to witness that. We still reminisce how awesome that play was. Ran right into the end zone we were sitting in.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:22 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:48 pm
swissvale72 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:49 pm

Hahahhaah so much awesomeness in this moment. Must have been so unbelievable to witness this.

I know we’ve spoken about the sheer level of pandemonium that ensued rivaling Troy’s pick six against Flacco in the AFCCG.

At least I got to witness that. We still reminisce how awesome that play was. Ran right into the end zone we were sitting in.
We have, thrillseeker!! And ive oft compared those two moments. The Troy pick 6 to send Steelers to the Super Bowl was a comparable second to the IR !!

Post by 955876 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:34 pm

I remember when players that wore the Black and Gold made big time plays in the postseason.

Vaguely. It’s been so long now. Almost like a dream.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm

Sort of on this topic....

In a signficant way, my memory of the Troy pick-6 is more pleasant than the IR as Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl. With the IR, I was in the same seat a week later, as the Steelers lost the AFCCG to the undefeated Miami Dolphins. Bradshaw missed half the game, with Steelers putting up only 3 points with Hanratty under center. Conversely, Bob Griese returned from a lengthy injury at halftime, hit Paul Warfield with a huge gainer on a 3rd down, and the Dolphins had a lead theiy would never relinquish. And there were all those fuckin' Larrys for the Dolphins....Seiple, who ran for a huge gain on a fake punt, Little, who owned Joe Greene that day, and of course, Csonka.

My other best playoff memories, in person, were the '75 AFCCG, where both Steeler 4Q touchdowns were scored right in front of me, Franco's run, Stallworth's catch.....game ended, and there were no on-field ceremonies, no fireworks. Steelers won, teams left the field, and we went the fuck home..

And for me...the '94 divisional playoff vs. Browns was like a fuckin' religious experience. I'd not been to a Steeler playoff game in 15 years. TRS was insane pregame, and the absolute fuckin' highlight was Yancey Thigpen catching a TD pass before half, taking a Terrible Towel from inside his jersey, and twirling it to the crowd's delight....again, right in front of me.

Other playoff highlights were the '04 OT win vs. Jets, '08 vs. Chargers with Santonio's punt return for a TD.

Then...I missed some games, weather and flight related, that were fuckin' huge.
*78 AFCCG vs Oilers....living in Virginia at the time and the Pa. turnpike was iced over
*95 AFCCG.....had a roof leak at home, couldn't bring myself to fly out that morning.
*02 v. Browns, the Renegade game....stuck in PEI with a storm
*10 aFCCG vs. Jets.....flights continually cancelled outta logan airport...I damn near got arrested by airport security pitching a fit.

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:16 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm

In a signficant way, my memory of the Troy pick-6 is more pleasant than the IR as Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl. With the IR, I was in the same seat a week later, as the Steelers lost the AFCCG to the undefeated Miami Dolphins. Bradshaw missed half the game, with Steelers putting up only 3 points with Hanratty under center. Conversely, Bob Griese returned from a lengthy injury at halftime, hit Paul Warfield with a huge gainer on a 3rd down, and the Dolphins had a lead theiy would never relinquish. And there were all those fuckin' Larrys for the Dolphins....Seiple, who ran for a huge gain on a fake punt, Little, who owned Joe Greene that day, and of course, Csonka.

My other best playoff memories, in person, were the '75 AFCCG, where both Steeler 4Q touchdowns were scored right in front of me, Franco's run, Stallworth's catch.....game ended, and there were no on-field ceremonies, no fireworks. Steelers won, teams left the field, and we went the fuck home..

And for me...the '94 divisional playoff vs. Browns was like a fuckin' religious experience. I'd not been to a Steeler playoff game in 15 years. TRS was insane pregame, and the absolute fuckin' highlight was Yancey Thigpen catching a TD pass before half, taking a Terrible Towel from inside his jersey, and twirling it to the crowd's delight....again, right in front of me.

Other playoff highlights were the '04 OT win vs. Jets, '08 vs. Chargers with Santonio's punt return for a TD.

*78 AFCCG vs Oilers....living in Virginia at the time and the Pa. turnpike was iced over
*95 AFCCG.....had a roof leak at home, couldn't bring myself to fly out that morning.
*10 aFCCG vs. Jets.....flights continually cancelled outta logan airport...I damn near got arrested by airport security pitching a fit.
Swiss, my friends and I decided to drive from Baltimore/DC to the '94 Browns playoff game. I picked them up at the Shady Grove Metro station outside of DC and we were off on the drive to my friends parents house in USC driving through an ice storm. We stopped in Frederick MD to get some food and the parking lot was covered with ice. We decided to press on and, while driving very slowly on I-68 in Western MD we did a 180 and hit the center guardrail facing the wrong direction. Unharmed, we pressed on and a 4-1/2 hour trip turned in to an 8 hour nightmare drive.

The game was unbelievable. My friend's uncle wound up with counterfeit tickets so we had to give up our seats and went to the standing room area where they hung the banners. That place was so electric, I didn't think that there was any way in hell the Steelers could lose the next week...

Also at the '04 Jets game and the '10 Ravens divisional. My kids first ever pro football game. Both awesome.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:56 pm

Baltostiller wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:16 pm
swissvale72 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm

Swiss, my friends and I decided to drive from Baltimore/DC to the '94 Browns playoff game. I picked them up at the Shady Grove Metro station outside of DC and we were off on the drive to my friends parents house in USC driving through an ice storm. We stopped in Frederick MD to get some food and the parking lot was covered with ice. We decided to press on and, while driving very slowly on I-68 in Western MD we did a 180 and hit the center guardrail facing the wrong direction. Unharmed, we pressed on and a 4-1/2 hour trip turned in to an 8 hour nightmare drive.

The game was unbelievable. My friend's uncle wound up with counterfeit tickets so we had to give up our seats and went to the standing room area where they hung the banners. That place was so electric, I didn't think that there was any way in hell the Steelers could lose the next week...

Also at the '04 Jets game and the '10 Ravens divisional. My kids first ever pro football game. Both awesome.
Forgot about the '10 playoff v. Baltimore....that was freakin' incredible....multiple renditions of Renegade...Ravens fans talking shit with a 14 point halftime lead. AB using his helmet to catch what turned out to be the gamewinner down to the 2...Saturday night at Heinz!!

That '94 game though....Brentston Buckner gets in a fight during intros...LOL...totally electric atmosphere...It WAS first home playoff game since strike shortened 82 season. And you're story of getting to that game....what an act of perseverance!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic